Deciding on a car to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Deciding on a car to buy

I have a 2014 acura RLX advanced. I bought it in 2015 for almost 1/2 MSRP with 6K miles on it and 1 year old. I currently have 131,000 on it. It was in a bad hail storm and is probably going to get totaled. If it doesn't have to spend 2K to fix the lower control arms on it. Anyway I was looking for another car. Possibilities include #1 2020 or 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited. #2 Acura TLX V6 tech. #3 2018 or 2019 Lexus ES 350. I want to be around no more then 38K before tax.

Since this is an acura forum, I will talk about the TLX. The place here has 2 2019 acura TLX. One is a 2019 acura TLX V6 Tech sticker $41,095 and they want $37,800 and it is a new car with I think under 100 miles. They have it as a red tag special. I am also looking at a Toyota Avalon hybrid limited. They wanted $46,500 and there is a 2020 with 800 miles demo. They have a sticker of 42299 but they said they probably can get another 1k off. Lexus will be around a 2018 model with 16k to be in the mid 30's.

My last cars in backwards order. 2014 acura rlx advanced, 2009 lexus GS 300, 2005 lexus gs400 or 430, 2003 aura TL TYPE S, 1999 lexus es300. 1998 acura nsx supercharged widebody the same time I had the ES 300. Then 1999 corvette then 1998 eagle talon

I always plan to drive the car to the ground and try to put 300K miles on it. My acura is going to get totaled. The GS got T boned and totaled etc. I am really bad about getting the best price possible. The last 3 cars I bought have been in wrecks prior. I haven't had a good car that was aligned in about 15 years. I always go to sears to get an alignment like every 60 days max and it is always off. The cost of ownership is very important to me. My acura rlx never had 1 issue until now (with the lower control arms, the steering wheel sometimes get stuck sideways and that makes it go straight some how. but it was hit in a massive hail storm). I do a lot of highway driving and sitting in the car is one of the most important parts and HP and speed is 2nd to that. I also so sick of having to use premium gas. I have estimated that if I had a car that just gives me 2 mpg more and uses regular gas. (rlx gives me 24.8 combined), and if premium gas is only 50 cents a gallon more, I would save over $5,000 on gas on the miles I drove on this car so far.

That begs the question, if I use regular gas on a car that requires regular gas, will I have more maintence to do or more repair bills then using premium gas on a premium car? I know I am all over the place but I will take whatever advice I can. My cousin recommends me getting a Honda CRV because I go to texas a lot and come back with 30-40 laptops and also desktops all at once.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Based on your last paragraph, sounds like you need some room to haul. That leads me to abandon recommending a car, and lean toward a pre-owned MDX. You should be able to find a good low mileage advance 2WD in your current price range. And you might be able to find a 4WD at a good price as well.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
Premium gas is recommended for the MDX/RDX/RLX in the owner's manual; but, the vehicles have a sticker on the gas door saying 87 Octane minimal. There are a ton of MDXs out there in tech, adv, or Aspec forms. A little limited in tech or Adv 3.0L hybrid models if you wanted more hp/tq and combined mpgs. The hybrid MDX would give you 25-27 combined mpgs along with sporty handling with the electronic dampers and 321hp/289tq (all +18 MDXs came with carplay for those long trips to TX). There is only a 1 mpg drop for the 3.5L sh-awd MDX; but, that model will drive and handle like a much smaller vehicle because of the all weather/all condition tq vectoring system. I would only go for the fwd MDX if I lived in the sun belt and 80% of your driving are on long straight (boring) roads. The two main issue that folks complain about with the MDX is the 9AT shifting and Auto Stop/Start. The hybrid MDX uses an extremely smooth 7DCT and you can't feel it shift and it is always in the right gear. The hybrid doesn't have the same 3.5L MDX Auto Start/Start because it has an EV mode that kicks on/off/in-combo with the 3.0L engine. Again, the hybrid EV mode transitions can feel invisible if you don't have a lead foot.

Test drove and had a few +19 RDX loaners. Nice tech features, updated interior design, tight handing, and pretty good power usage with the 10AT. The little 2.0T feels like it is working too hard moving that much weight and it shows in the combined mpgs can be in the low 20s. Way more road noise from the rear of the RDX compared to the MDX or RLX.

I get more combined mpgs of 27-29 mpg and +30 mpg on the hwy at 80 mph in my RLX hybrid in the same driving conditions (along with waaaay more power). The RLX hybrid has a smaller 15 gal gas tank and extremely small compact car trunk space because of the battery pack. The MDX is a very comfy long haul hwy vehicle you can pile up the mileage and it will just be mostly scheduled maintenance for first 125,000-150,000 miles.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-04-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
THanks for the advice. The MDX I think has 3 rows of seats and I don't need that and the seats get in the way. Also I read something bad about the transmission or something of the MDX and I read something bad about something in the current TLX. It might be either engine or transmission or something I have to go back and look. The 2021 tlx looks nice though. I am currently in a Ford FIesta that cost like $12K but it corners better then my RLX was doing and easier to turn and park for sure. It is like sitting in a sardine box though is as tight as it is. I am also adding a 2019 ES 350 to the list of possibilies and also the Honda CRV/ 1 size up one from that and try it out. I am just use to sitting low. I don't trust turning fast in a SUV or something, I feel like I am going to flip it over.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM
RJH_MUSIC

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Wide Range

Forgive me for noticing things but you sure have a wide range of vehicle choices. Comparing a Ford Fiesta to an Acura RLX that's like comparing Earth to Pluto. I just bought my 5th Acura in 15 years. I was in my 2004 orrell that blew a rear seal 500 miles after the warranty was up which made me really mad, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with any of the vehicles. That being said I stayed away from Acura between the 2012 and 2018 year m oil deals, because personally I feel that PAWS is crap and how Acura could replace super handling all-wheel drive for the glory of Paws is beyond me. I personally believe that's why the sales of the RLX has has steadily going downhill in The Last 5 Years or at least until they brought back the super handling all-wheel drive, albeit a hybrid. Actually I personally don't like the style that the RLX is have gone through in the last few years. The best RL I ever have owned is my 2009 RL with its beautiful body lines. With that being said I just purchased a 2020 RLX. Sport Hybrid. Although my 2009 RL still looks more elegant the 2020 RLX is one hell of a car. The technology is out of this world. This car performs in every way and as far as I'm concerned has zero flaws, other than the styling things that I don't like. The hood looks stupid am I have a beautiful Seacoast interior but I have to stare at a black dashboard all day long. But those are just the Aesthetics. Not sure if this might be helpful or not but in my case I don't think I'll be owning another new car in my lifetime as I just turned 61 years old. My 2009 RL has 181000 miles on it and I'm giving it to my son. So for me to buy a new car now makes a lot of sense because it will last at least 10 years, or longer. I'm in a better position to buy the new car now than later and I am very glad I did. You can find an RLX 2018 sport hybrid with the advance package with relatively low mileage in the mid to upper 30s. I was actually looking at doing that but I could not find one in the color that I wanted. So for an additional $10,000, I got into a brand new 2020 RLX sport hybrid with the advance package in the color I wanted. This might also be a value to you in order to find the car we wanted I had to go from Connecticut to Baltimore Maryland to find it. The drive home was 5 hours. It actually felt like about 2 and 1/2 hours because it was a sheer pleasure and comfort. That might help on your long TX trips. If you're not too choosy on colors you could probably find a 2018 or 2019 RLX sport hybrid what's the advance package in the money range you're looking for. And the sport hybrid is absolutely fabulous. The gearing ratios are comfortable and quiet and the 30 miles to the gallon on the highway doesn't suck either.

good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Howells:
CadiGTi (07-29-2020), moose66 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:57 PM
RJH_MUSIC

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I forgot to mention this car is a rocket.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
I'll second the idea of a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid - you can find them within that price range if you search, and it's a car that won't be matched in terms of performance or comfort. I swap driving between a 2019 MDX and the wife's 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid. I will say that if having a sedan that can carry 4-5 adults comfortably the RLX is great. But if you need to haul stuff, the RLX won't do you any favors, especially the Sport Hybrid with the battery in the forward part of the trunk. That's a case where a TLX will be a better fit....
Old 07-27-2020, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Asking others which car you should buy is a little like asking which girl or guy you should marry. Everyone has their individual needs and tastes and only they know exactly what they want.

That said, the RLX Sport Hybrid would be an excellent car for you to buy for many reasons:
The "practical" side:
1. The fuel economy for such a large car is nothing short of amazing. The combined fuel savings over the life of the car when compared to a non-hybrid, is very substantial.
2. The AWD makes this car very capable and safe in all driving conditions including snow especially if equipped with the appropriate tires.
3. The back seat space is substantial - if you have the need to haul others, this car does so with ease and comfort.
4. The price of the RLX Sport Hybrid is a pure bargain for what you are getting. The bad reputation of the PAWS version continues to haunt new and used RLX sales, even the very well reviewed and seemingly universally loved Sport Hybrid version.
5. The car is the very definition of "stealth wealth" - it is the nicest car you can drive without looking like you are trying to show off your standing in society.
6. Since you already drive an RLX PAWS, the familiarity of the Sport Hybrid would make for an easy transition. All the buttons and controls are in the same place and you would instantly feel "at home".

The "not so practical" side:
1. The fit and finish, the luxury feel and "amenities" are absolutely first class at the price point the Sport Hybrids are selling for these days. This is the level of luxury you have become accustomed to.
2. The performance of the car in sports mode is pure fun. Truly a smooth cruiser when you want it to be and a rocket when you want it to be. The handling is amazing for its size. You have to drive it to believe just how different it is from your PAWS.
3. The Krell audio system is wonderful and crystal clear. I won't give you booming base, but you will hear every note and every word being sung.
4. The DCT transmission is a gem. It is asked to do a lot with VCM and Electric only modes but handles the challenge with amazing smoothness.

Obviously, as a very happy RLX Sport Hybrid owner, I would recommend this car to everyone. The choice you make, krava, is entirely up to you. Good luck.

Last edited by hondamore; 07-27-2020 at 02:47 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by hondamore:
CadiGTi (07-29-2020), Midnight Mystery (07-27-2020), moose66 (07-27-2020), mrgold35 (07-27-2020), psheu (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by hondamore
Asking others which car you should buy is a little like asking which girl or guy you should marry. Everyone has their individual needs and tastes and only they know exactly what they want.

That said, the RLX Sport Hybrid would be an excellent car for you to buy for many reasons:
The "practical" side:
1. The fuel economy for such a large car is nothing short of amazing. The combined fuel savings over the life of the car when compared to a non-hybrid, is very substantial.
2. The AWD makes this car very capable and safe in all driving conditions including snow especially if equipped with the appropriate tires.
3. The back seat space is substantial - if you have the need to haul others, this car does so with ease and comfort.
4. The price of the RLX Sport Hybrid is a pure bargain for what you are getting. The bad reputation of the PAWS version continues to haunt new and used RLX sales, even the very well reviewed and seemingly universally loved Sport Hybrid version.
5. The car is the very definition of "stealth wealth" - it is the nicest car you can drive without looking like you are trying to show off your standing in society.
6. Since you already drive an RLX PAWS, the familiarity of the Sport Hybrid would make for an easy transition. All the buttons and controls are in the same place and you would instantly feel "at home".

The "not so practical" side:
1. The fit and finish, the luxury feel and "amenities" are absolutely first class at the price point the Sport Hybrids are selling for these days. This is the level of luxury you have become accustomed to.
2. The performance of the car in sports mode is pure fun. Truly a smooth cruiser when you want it to be and a rocket when you want it to be. The handling is amazing for its size. You have to drive it to believe just how different it is from your PAWS.
3. The Krell audio system is wonderful and crystal clear. I won't give you booming base, but you will hear every note and every word being sung.
4. The DCT transmission is a gem. It is asked to do a lot with VCM and Electric only modes but handles the challenge with amazing smoothness.

Obviously, as a very happy RLX Sport Hybrid owner, I would recommend this car to everyone. The choice you make, krava, is entirely up to you. Good luck.

Totally agree, that's why I'm on my 2nd one! Now just need to find a good installer for Xpel clear film to wrap my fully loaded ride

Last edited by psheu; 07-28-2020 at 01:29 PM.