Anyone see Gilded Pewter yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Anyone see Gilded Pewter yet?

This is not the best shot ever (close quarters, phone camera), but i thought the 2015 color Gilded Pewter was very interesting:

I hope this color trickles down to the TLX!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I like the Gilded Pewter and I am leaning that direction if the Hybrid RLX ever shows up. It is a very "rich" color. My RL is the Desert Mist Metallic which appears to be in the same family of colors.

Of course, I haven't seen it in person and there are so few RLX's around here that I'll never see one in person.
Thanks for the pic.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
That is the color I chose over all others - my dealer had all colors in stock.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone see Gilded Pewter yet?-rlxphoto1.jpg   Anyone see Gilded Pewter yet?-rlxphoto2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by miner:
hondamore (08-20-2014), victorber (08-22-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
That is the color I chose over all others - my dealer had all colors in stock.
Really nice color, must really get a lot of head turns.

I stuck with silver coming from a Palladium TL, and scarily a lot of people didn't realize I even got a new car.

If I saw this color on the showroom I most likely would have left with it without hesitation.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Yes, as hondamore says, it's a rich color that doesn't show up to best advantage in my photo.

I think I'd be tempted to get it, too, if I were getting another RLX. I still hope it ends up on the TLX next year, too, since I may well "trade down" to a TLX next go-round.

(btw, Samsung Galaxy S5 photo.)

Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The main reason I would not get Gilded Pewter is because I don't like the interior colour combinations available with it.

The colour by itself, I think, is great.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The main reason I would not get Gilded Pewter is because I don't like the interior colour combinations available with it.

The colour by itself, I think, is great.
The one at my dealer had the Seacoast interior. It might be considered a little "off-tint" to some people, but I liked it.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Given Acura (and Honda's) limited color selection for many models, I like most colors that are not the same ones that have been used for years. The Gilded Pewter and Pomegranate that I have are both nice because they are exclusive to the RLX and are not the usual black, white or various shades of grey that seem to dominate the color choices of virtually every model. The shame of it is most dealers don't seem to stock the more unusual colors, which probably encourages Acura to continue producing the same old colors because it's what the dealers stock.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by acuranj18
Given Acura (and Honda's) limited color selection for many models, I like most colors that are not the same ones that have been used for years. The Gilded Pewter and Pomegranate that I have are both nice because they are exclusive to the RLX and are not the usual black, white or various shades of grey that seem to dominate the color choices of virtually every model. The shame of it is most dealers don't seem to stock the more unusual colors, which probably encourages Acura to continue producing the same old colors because it's what the dealers stock.
I believe that Acura and other manufacturers have discovered over years and years of business that "boring" Black, followed by White and shades of Silver and Grey are simply the most popular colors for large luxury sedans. If Acura made and displayed equal numbers of all of the available colors of the RLX, the black cars would sell first and buyers who want black would have to settle for the other colors once their first choice was sold out. You won't see a bright yellow or cherry red S-class or 7-series for the same reason. I suspect their color allocation is based on a carefully planned strategy based on years of past sales history. The relatively small volume of RLX sales also makes offering a large number of color options impractical (talk to Colin about trying to inventory all of the color and trim level options already).

I'm not disagreeing with you, it would be nice to see different colors available, but it is just the reality that all manufacturers will build what they can sell. To find more vibrant colors, sports cars or even sports sedans are the place to look (but even there Black is probably the most popular color) and the higher volume sellers will offer more color selection.

Last edited by hondamore; 08-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I believe that Acura and other manufacturers have discovered over years and years of business that "boring" Black, followed by White and shades of Silver and Grey are simply the most popular colors for large luxury sedans. If Acura made and displayed equal numbers of all of the available colors of the RLX, the black cars would sell first and buyers who want black would have to settle for the other colors once their first choice was sold out. You won't see a bright yellow or cherry red S-class or 7-series for the same reason. I suspect their color allocation is based on a carefully planned strategy based on years of past sales history. The relatively small volume of RLX sales also makes offering a large number of color options impractical (talk to Colin about trying to inventory all of the color and trim level options already).

I'm not disagreeing with you, it would be nice to see different colors available, but it is just the reality that all manufacturers will build what they can sell. To find more vibrant colors, sports cars or even sports sedans are the place to look (but even there Black is probably the most popular color) and the higher volume sellers will offer more color selection.
I agree with your comments, though it's frustrating to me that Honda/Acura use the same colors for years - colors like Basque Red Pearl, or some of the same shades of grey, like Graphite, that never seem to change, and are offered on numerous Honda as well as Acura vehicles. At least change the shades periodically, to freshen the color selection and differentiate the models.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Grandpa

The economy can influence the color choices of consumers.

It has always seemed to me that when the economy was good, conservative colors prevailed. When the economy was bad, people tried to cheer things up and the colors got wilder.

And of course to some extent an individual's personal situation will over ride the general trends.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Looking at a Gilded Pewter outside my window now. Looks a lot like the old Heather Mist color on G2 Legends.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Looking at a Gilded Pewter outside my window now. Looks a lot like the old Heather Mist color on G2 Legends.

Colin you beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. Brings up a memory of a Legend owner (Heather Mist) placed their old Legend in the dealer next to new TLs, RLs etc. The legend was so clean that most people thought it was a brand new car. A lot were shocked that the car had over 300K on the clock.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
My contribution Gilded Pewter pics
Crappy camera, but you get the idea

Since these photos, all side windows are tinted the same color
Name:  __SideViewDistanceP1020682-Crop.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  81.7 KB

A little better idea of the color (not quite as washed out as the first picture)
Name:  __RearQuarterViewSpoilerP1020684.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  99.2 KB
hondamore (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 AM
AcurAdmirer

Looks good, and those chrome wheels accent it nicely.

I'm always taken aback with the body side molding placement. I know that's the best place for protection, but it looks odd to me - like maybe it should be down there on the body crease on the lower part of the door.

No offense intended - your car looks great!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The one at my dealer had the Seacoast interior
I'm curious about whether anybody's had any indigo transfer on the lighter colored leather.

That's one of the reasons I like Honda black interiors. :-)
Old 09-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'm curious about whether anybody's had any indigo transfer on the lighter colored leather.

That's one of the reasons I like Honda black interiors. :-)

I have the Seacoast interior and have not seen any signs of color transfer on my seats so far. I use a product called ProtectAll on the interior
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Looks good, and those chrome wheels accent it nicely.

I'm always taken aback with the body side molding placement. I know that's the best place for protection, but it looks odd to me - like maybe it should be down there on the body crease on the lower part of the door.

No offense intended - your car looks great!

No offense taken...People either like or dislike most options that are available for our cars. I can tell you the placement of the side moldings shown here is in the perfect location as far as protection is concerned. I think if it were down by the body crease it would not be a very effective protection device
Old 09-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Nice color. If only it was available with an Ebony interior.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76
I have the Seacoast interior and have not seen any signs of color transfer on my seats so far. I use a product called ProtectAll on the interior
Yes, I had dye transfer, and had to have the bolsters redyed - at no cost to me. Covered by Xzylon treatment contract. But, I have had this issue with all of my leather interiors.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
One more reason to love black interiors. Less maintenance.
MisterZDX (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
The one at my dealer had the Seacoast interior. It might be considered a little "off-tint" to some people, but I liked it.

Gilded Pewter Metallic and Pomegranate Pearl come only with Seacoast interior.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:39 PM
AcurAdmirer

Ever since I retired and burned all my suits (), I've worn nothing but jeans and golf shirts. I've also had nothing but light interiors, since I hate the dark and gloomy feeling of black interiors. And staining has never been a big problem for me.

Granted, lighter leather takes a little bit of maintenance, but by that I mean I might hit it with some leather cleaner once every 6 months. But in my experience, black leather takes every bit as much care if you want it to look decent. Few things that stain seats are actually black - and the lighter colored things show up like crazy on that black leather. Even dust particles show up on it.

Don't stay away from bright, open, cheerful light-colored interiors just because you're afraid of your seats getting dirty.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
a35tl (09-09-2014), hondamore (09-08-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor

^^ +1 Plus the fact the interior temperature in hot climates would be unbearable..
I test drove a black interior RLX and a light colored interior (the same day back to back) .....the difference in time it took to cool down the cabin of the black interior car was considerable compared to the lighter interior.
hondamore (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Up in the frozen north of Canada here, the opposite is often the desired effect (ie. warming up the interior on a cold but sunny day).
That said, I do prefer a lighter interior color with my absolute favorite being a saddle colored tan. Lexus offers a version in the LS and it is gorgeous.