Any 2nd Gen RL Owners Contemplating a SH-AWD TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Any 2nd Gen RL Owners Contemplating a SH-AWD TLX?

The reviews are indicating the SH-AWD TLX is an impressive machine. I am looking forward to test driving a SH-AWD TLX. Like several forum members have said, once you get used to SH-AWD, it's hard to contemplate buying a car without it.

The TLX back seat room sounds like its is essentially the same as my 2006 RL, so it would be more of the same for me. It also sounds like the trunk is about the same size as 2nd generation RL.

The transmission gets good grades in the reviews. The fuel mileage gets good grades, too. The performance in sport mode is getting raves surprisingly like those normally given to BMW 3 & 5 Series by automotive reviews.
Anyone else here contemplating the TLX SH-AWD to replace their high mileage, 8 - 10 year old 2nd Gen RL?

Last edited by wstr75; 08-05-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have been reading and watching.

On paper the TLX Advance SHAWD is a very attractive replacement for my RL. The dimensions are very close. The TLX is 3 inches shorter and that translates to 2 inches less rear legroom. The TLX is wider and that may help it not feel tighter than the RL. I would have to sit in it as the TL typically has a lower seating position than the RL and I do like the taller seating position, if not as sporty.

Aside from actually driving one and assessing it, there is little the TLX misses from what my RL offers in features. Minor but impressive to me is the RLs electric memory tilt / telescoping wheel. I have learned to love that. The RL also has rear sun shades. More minor but the RL's flush side glass and hand sanded finish I would miss (I gripe about that on the RLX too). But the value of TLX is impressive, fully loaded. It certainly justifies some of the feature short comings I have on my checklist.

If I could add those items, power folding mirrors it would be a grand slam. The TLX Advance matches most features of the RLX and the split fold rear seat would address most of my utility needs.

Of course some seat time is needed, and I would wait a model year for early production bugs to settle. The new tranny intrigues me and the dual clutch I experienced in the Sport Hybrid RLX impressed me. The TLX DC Tranny with a torque converter could be very attractive. I also like what I hear about the sound control and noise reduction. I loved my 05TL on paper as well, but traded it on the RL after 18 months as it was not as refined, smooth and built as I expected from Acura. Perhaps this generation of the TLX has caught up to the RL's build quality?...TBD.

But now that it looks like the Sport Hybrid RLX will make me wait until 2016, I could do a better apples to apples consideration with the TLX, one year out.

I am trying to be excited, but candidly, I am annoyed with this last 6 months of Acura folly.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (08-06-2014), wstr75 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yes, but I'd much prefer the RLX sport hybrid.

I sat in the TLX over the weekend, have pics of such on the TLX forum.

That said, I'm in the process of buying a beater Pilot for winter duty, for cheap. That will allow me time to let both the TLX and the RLX hybrid go through their teething pains until 2016.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I still consider the SHAWD RLX my perfect choice for my next vehicle but I must admit that I have considered giving the SHAWD TLX a test drive or two when it comes out mostly because of it's similarity to my 2G RL. I suspect that in the end I will hold out for the hybrid RLX for the following reasons:
1. The extra room inside is an important feature as I often have three people in the vehicle with me (going out to dinner, going to a golf tournament etc).
2. The performance of the electric motors are intriguing to me mostly because of the instant torque and the increased torque vectoring ability when compared to the regular SHAWD system (this difference is important to me primarily because of my perception that the electric system will be superior on icy roads something that I will have to test for myself).
3. Hybrids appear to be the future of automotive engineering because of ever increasing CAFE numbers, so, since I plan to keep my next vehicle for 8 - 10 years as I always have, any non-hybrid vehicle may be viewed as somewhat of a dinosaur a decade from now.
4. The extra power of the RLX hybrid will be fun.
5. The better fuel economy of the RLX hybrid will be a nice bonus.
6. Based on my time in a 2014 MDX and previous TL's, I am expecting the RLX to be just slightly ahead when it comes to overall refinement and fit and finish of the interior.
7. According to all reports, the Krell sound system kicks butt.
8. The biggest reason is that I am now at an age where a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride is the most important feature that I look for in a car and according to reports, the hybrid RLX has that in spades with a fun sporty side as a bonus - just like my RL.

My reasons, my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
Malibu Flyer (08-06-2014), victorber (08-18-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Test drove the TLX -- long story short -- very nice car, but too small for my (6'2"), steering was numb like the RLX. Other than those two quips, its a very nice car.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (08-13-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Mine's got 190,000 miles and it's still running strong. There aren't really any big feature upgrades that excite me. Adaptive cruise sure, but i'm not paying 45k just to upgrade to a car with adaptive cruise. None of the safety features interest me really. I'm probably just more likely to keep the RL until the world ends and replace the 335 with something sportier instead. Maybe a C7 or a nice used GTR. I just don't see enough improvement in the new acuras to give up my good ole' 2nd gen. Might just be emotional attachment though
Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I am HOOKED on my 2007 Acura MDX sport with SH-AWD ADS suspension and wouldn't trade it for anything. Note that Acura de-tuned the ADS suspension on the 08 & 09 due to complaints from Soccer Moms stating it was "too stiff"....if you have NOT driven one ...perhaps you should to know how great it performs esp. for a heavy SUV...quite impressive esp on a twisty road with no passengers and half tank of gas....
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I finally test drove the TLX earlier this week (V6 Tech w/P-AWS) and...man did they f'n nail it when it comes to the driving experience.

Putting aside some of the missing "luxury" items that the RLX has (which I too agree that if it had them, I would instantly be moving down to a TLX), it is everything the RLX delivers in terms of driving experience - just faster, more nimble, and I hate to say it...way more fun to drive. I now understand the "It's that kind of THRILL" tag line. And I'm not being all waxing poetic about it either.

The 9-speed ZF transmission was unbelievable. I was able to move in and out of gears literally like I was playing a video game (fast and rapid) and with not a single glitch, hesitation, or jaggedness in up/downshifting. And I am not exaggerating here. It was one of things that I just kept going back to and couldn't believe how the car was responding. It was as if there were no gears in the car. Just liquid smooth shifts. It was also my first time driving anything higher than the 6-speed tranny in my RLX, so maybe this is just how 9-speed ZF tranny's behave. Regardless, it was awesome.

I got to test her out in a fairly isolated office park area that surprisingly had a loop of road that you would have thought was built specifically for track racing (back to back hills with winding sharp turns). I put the TLX in Sport+, accelerating/decelerating between 35-55mph and rapidly switching between 3-6th gear (it was a small loop), and and vroom, it took every inch of the loop with ease, never once feeling like I was loosing control, suspension tracking every nuance with confidence, and steering that was dead accurate with great feedback on how the car was handling coming in and out of the turns.

I plan to write up a more thorough post on the TLX forum, but one thing is for sure - the suspension in the TLX kills the RLX suspension. While I was having an awesome time driving (and pushing) the car, inside I was infuriated at how well the suspension was compared to the RLX to the point of having to hide it from the sales rep riding with me. Once again frustrating me considering what I paid for the RLX and what the TLX goes for.

It upsets me to the point of taking the time to write a heated letter to Acura. But not only do I feel like it won't go anywhere, I'm also trying to focus more on positive energy these days and less on the negative. They just really need to get their s*%$ together and come through for those of us who are early adopters on the RLX and help us feel good about showing our loyalty to the brand through our pocket books.

Last edited by holografique; 08-14-2014 at 10:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by holografique:
hondamore (08-15-2014), Terry RL (08-15-2014), victorber (08-18-2014), wstr75 (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I finally test drove the TLX earlier this week (V6 Tech w/P-AWS) and...man did they f'n nail it when it comes to the driving experience.

Putting aside some of the missing "luxury" items that the RLX has (which I too agree that if it had them, I would instantly be moving down to a TLX), it is everything the RLX delivers in terms of driving experience - just faster, more nimble, and I hate to say it...way more fun to drive. I now understand the "It's that kind of THRILL" tag line. And I'm not being all waxing poetic about it either.

The 9-speed ZF transmission was unbelievable. I was able to move in and out of gears literally like I was playing a video game (fast and rapid) and with not a single glitch, hesitation, or jaggedness in up/downshifting. And I am not exaggerating here. It was one of things that I just kept going back to and couldn't believe how the car was responding. It was as if there were no gears in the car. Just liquid smooth shifts. It was also my first time driving anything higher than the 6-speed tranny in my RLX, so maybe this is just how 9-speed ZF tranny's behave. Regardless, it was awesome.

I got to test her out in a fairly isolated office park area that surprisingly had a loop of road that you would have thought was built specifically for track racing (back to back hills with winding sharp turns). I put the TLX in Sport+, accelerating/decelerating between 35-55mph and rapidly switching between 3-6th gear (it was a small loop), and and vroom, it took every inch of the loop with ease, never once feeling like I was loosing control, suspension tracking every nuance with confidence, and steering that was dead accurate with great feedback on how the car was handling coming in and out of the turns.

I plan to write up a more thorough post on the TLX forum, but one thing is for sure - the suspension in the TLX kills the RLX suspension. While I was having an awesome time driving (and pushing) the car, inside I was infuriated at how well the suspension was compared to the RLX to the point of having to hide it from the sales rep riding with me. Once again frustrating me considering what I paid for the RLX and what the TLX goes for.

It upsets me to the point of taking the time to write a heated letter to Acura. But not only do I feel like it won't go anywhere, I'm also trying to focus more on positive energy these days and less on the negative. They just really need to get their s*%$ together and come through for those of us who are early adopters on the RLX and help us feel good about showing our loyalty to the brand through our pocket books.
Nice to see an RLX owner test driving a TLX. I'm assuming the TLX would handle a bit better than the RLX, because it's a smaller car. However, when I drove the RLX I found the suspension to be more rough than the 2011 RL, oddly enough. How is the suspension on TLX(when handling bumps) compared to RLX? Wonder how the TLX would stack up with my RL SH-AWD? I'll have to test one for myself. Glad to know that the 9 speed transmission works well, I was very skeptical of this car in regards to its transmission. The truth is, the TLX can't meet the level of refinement of the RLX. The TLX can't come close, just feel the amazing seats, and leather all over the damn RLX; absolutely gorgeous, the TLX can't come close. Heck, I don't even believe that the refinement of the TLX(interior) is up to my 11 RL. Real wood, suede like headliner, leather everywhere, power tilt telescopic steering wheel, sunshades, very comfy seats, passager 10-way adjustment(8 on TLX), these are all things TLX doesn't have that RL/RLX have. holografique, sorry you feel that way about your RLX.

Last edited by Terry RL; 08-15-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry RL
holografique, sorry you feel that way about your RLX.
It's tough, because short of the suspension issues and lack of some sorely missing "luxury" features, I love my RLX. But it stings every time I think about how much I pay a month on this lease when I see higher quality elements coming out of their vehicles that are $10k or more less than what I paid for what is supposed to be their halo vehicle. Yes, there are elements of the RLX that are vastly superior over the TLX, the interior being one of them. But then there are elements of the TLX that make the RLX feel like a lower cost vehicle. And that is where Acura has messed up.

I know that I didn't have to buy the RLX, and I also didn't have to be an early adopter. Those were all choices I ultimately made and am ultimately responsible for. But the way Acura is handling it just adds insult to injury.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
It's tough, because short of the suspension issues and lack of some sorely missing "luxury" features, I love my RLX. But it stings every time I think about how much I pay a month on this lease when I see higher quality elements coming out of their vehicles that are $10k or more less than what I paid for what is supposed to be their halo vehicle. Yes, there are elements of the RLX that are vastly superior over the TLX, the interior being one of them. But then there are elements of the TLX that make the RLX feel like a lower cost vehicle. And that is where Acura has messed up.

I know that I didn't have to buy the RLX, and I also didn't have to be an early adopter. Those were all choices I ultimately made and am ultimately responsible for. But the way Acura is handling it just adds insult to injury.
I never understood Acura's philosophy. Their flagship car is what should come with everything first and then it should trickle down to the lower models. I feel your frustration every time I think about how much I am paying a month to finance my Z. The 2013 Accord has more updated tech and features than my 2013 ZDX (a 51k car) or 4G TL Sh-awd Tech has. Acura's philosophy of waiting until the next model generation to make significant updates is what will always keep them behind other luxury brands. That is why they are always playing catch up. As a matter of fact, as soon as I am no longer upside down on the loan (yes the Z has terrible depreciation even for an Acura), I am highly considering trading for a certified Accord Touring or maybe by then used RLX and TLX prices will be reasonable and I may consider one of those. Then take the extra 300 or so a month I would be saving and add that to my 401k contribution.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 08-15-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
I never understood Acura's philosophy. Their flagship car is what should come with everything first and then it should trickle down to the lower models. I feel your frustration every time I think about how much I am paying a month to finance my Z. The 2013 Accord has more updated tech and features than my 2013 ZDX (a 51k car) or 4G TL Sh-awd Tech has. Acura's philosophy of waiting until the next model generation to make significant updates is what will always keep them behind other luxury brands. That is why they are always playing catch up. As a matter of fact, as soon as I am no longer upside down on the loan (yes the Z has terrible depreciation even for an Acura), ...)
Thats because in reality Honda's true flagship vehicle is the Accord!
MisterZDX (08-15-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Thats because in reality Honda's true flagship vehicle is the Accord!
I am highly considering trading for a certified Accord Touring or maybe by then used RLX and TLX prices will be reasonable and I may consider one of those. Then take the extra 300 or so a month I would be saving and add that to my 401k contribution.
I understand how both of you feel. The truth is that the Acura flagships RL/RLX/ZDX have been all been designed to be very comfortable, and last forever. Just step in an RLX/ZDX and feel the quality of the materials and the craftsmanship and all the time spent making sure everything is just damn perfect. You can't find any thing close to that on a Honda Accord. The true value of an Acura is to run it down at least 8 years, like I'm planning on doing. It'll be running like a champ, and still look beautiful. In the mean time, the Accord will be replaced by something else making the Accord look older, as will the TLX, the TLX will just look old. No exclusivity, the RLX/ZDX are the most exclusive JDM cars on the road. I feel the pain of monthly payments, especially when you feel like your being charged too much, for a car that's too 'little'. I've had my fair share of that. I've now made my savings, separates from car purchases. I personally focused on picking up slightly used luxury cars(RL) in the mid-30s to run down at least until 2020. Also, when I buy a car I pay it cash out of my stock symbols. The damn truth is the RLX/ZDX are some nice a** cars, no Accord can compete. You really should be proud of owning your ZDXs and your RLXs, I wish I could.

Last edited by Terry RL; 08-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.
hondamore (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The ZDX was not designated as Acura's flagship.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The ZDX was not designated as Acura's flagship.
You may be right, but let's not forget when the ZDX was first introduced it included some features new to any Acura model and the Advance trim was priced at 57k (more than the flagship RL). It may not be their flagship, but they sure did price it like it was. Still one of the most high quality Acura's ever. My gripe is, I just wish I would've saved and purchased a low mileage used one instead of buying new.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Terry RL
I understand how both of you feel. The truth is that the Acura flagships RL/RLX/ZDX have been all been designed to be very comfortable, and last forever. Just step in an RLX/ZDX and feel the quality of the materials and the craftsmanship and all the time spent making sure everything is just damn perfect. You can't find any thing close to that on a Honda Accord. The true value of an Acura is to run it down at least 8 years, like I'm planning on doing. It'll be running like a champ, and still look beautiful. In the mean time, the Accord will be replaced by something else making the Accord look older, as will the TLX, the TLX will just look old. No exclusivity, the RLX/ZDX are the most exclusive JDM cars on the road. I feel the pain of monthly payments, especially when you feel like your being charged too much, for a car that's too 'little'. I've had my fair share of that. I've now made my savings, separates from car purchases. I personally focused on picking up slightly used luxury cars(RL) in the mid-30s to run down at least until 2020. Also, when I buy a car I pay it cash out of my stock symbols. The damn truth is the RLX/ZDX are some nice a** cars, no Accord can compete. You really should be proud of owning your ZDXs and your RLXs, I wish I could.
I do LOVE my ZDX and sometimes I am still in awe every time I sit in it (all of my passengers fall in love with the interior and unique stylying too). The fact that I rarely see ZDXs on the road and because it was discontinued makes me want to keep it more (even the salesman said I should hold onto it for awhile). I will just suck it up and continue making my high (to me) payments. I only drive about 7,500 miles a year so this thing should last me a long time.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You may be right, but let's not forget when the ZDX was first introduced it included some features new to any Acura model and the Advance trim was priced at 57k (more than the flagship RL). It may not be their flagship, but they sure did price it like it was. Still one of the most high quality Acura's ever. My gripe is, I just wish I would've saved and purchased a low mileage used one instead of buying new.
That does not make any model the flagship. Only Acura names it's flagship. It has and only has named the RL the flagship vehicle.

Flagship is not determined by price, size or even ultimately content. It is what the brand feels represents it's pinnacle. And although I agree most & best content should be available to it's flagship, most all brands introduce unique and newer tech in other models to spark interest and improve market positioning ('best in class'). And if price dictates flagship status, that would mean the NSX was and will again be flagship...which is was not and will not be.

I have seen gymnastics by many members of AZ to assure themselves that the TL, TLX, MDX, ZDX is the 'real' flagship. In your minds only.

And since flagship is a term from the maritime culture, I can assure you there are several flagships that are older, smaller, lower tech, etc. than many of their larger, newer fleet mates.

I have no desire to trump anyone, but to keep reality and fact to a topic that has been customized to fit the passion of the author.
victorber (08-18-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
That does not make any model the flagship. Only Acura names it's flagship. It has and only has named the RL the flagship vehicle.

Flagship is not determined by price, size or even ultimately content. It is what the brand feels represents it's pinnacle. And although I agree most & best content should be available to it's flagship, most all brands introduce unique and newer tech in other models to spark interest and improve market positioning ('best in class'). And if price dictates flagship status, that would mean the NSX was and will again be flagship...which is was not and will not be.

I have seen gymnastics by many members of AZ to assure themselves that the TL, TLX, MDX, ZDX is the 'real' flagship. In your minds only.

And since flagship is a term from the maritime culture, I can assure you there are several flagships that are older, smaller, lower tech, etc. than many of their larger, newer fleet mates.

I have no desire to trump anyone, but to keep reality and fact to a topic that has been customized to fit the passion of the author.
Whoa...calm down buddy. It's really not that serious
Old 08-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I am simply stating facts and the background to support it. The only person infusing anxiousness is you.

Many AZ members seem to have emotional reactions to facts.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
I never understood Acura's philosophy. Their flagship car is what should come with everything first and then it should trickle down to the lower models. I feel your frustration every time I think about how much I am paying a month to finance my Z. The 2013 Accord has more updated tech and features than my 2013 ZDX (a 51k car) or 4G TL Sh-awd Tech has. Acura's philosophy of waiting until the next model generation to make significant updates is what will always keep them behind other luxury brands. That is why they are always playing catch up. As a matter of fact, as soon as I am no longer upside down on the loan (yes the Z has terrible depreciation even for an Acura), I am highly considering trading for a certified Accord Touring or maybe by then used RLX and TLX prices will be reasonable and I may consider one of those. Then take the extra 300 or so a month I would be saving and add that to my 401k contribution.
As a Touring owner, I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall attributes of the redesigned Accord. I remember checking out the 2010 Accord which was very unimpressive and we went with the TL SH-AWD back then.
I never checked out the ZDX only because I wasn't a fan of the sloped back/back seat.
The Touring is rock solid, great features and plenty of power. However, corners were cut, the sunroof interior closure is flimsy and cheap, the trunk closure is tinny with no solid "thunk". OTOH, the interior fit & finish is borderline luxury.
These are very minor criticisms and I consider it a VERY high "best value" in it's segment and price range.
If it offered SH-AWD, I'd buy another and forego my search for a '11 or '12 RL!
My only regret is not going black/black instead of alabaster/black

Last edited by stagefoursurvivor; 08-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
MisterZDX (08-17-2014)