Acura to Debut Custom Performance Sedans at SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
Acura to Debut Custom Performance Sedans at SEMA

11/05/2013 – Las Vegas, NV.

Acura demonstrates tuner potential of RLX Luxury Performance Sedan and ILX Compact Luxury Sedan using Acura Genuine Accessories and top aftermarket brands

Acura today unveiled three customized sedans at the 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, including the Acura RLX VIP Sedan, created by Evasive Motorsports, the RLX Urban Luxury Sedan and Street Performance ILX, both created by MAD Industries.

“How better to amp up the inherent luxury, excitement and prestige of the Acura Brand than to partner with the enthusiast crowd and create these custom RLX and ILX sedans,” said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president of Auto Operations. “SEMA is where we go to add that little bit of spice that brings out the true performance character in our Acura lineup.”

Acura engaged MAD Industries and Evasive Motorsports, both located in Southern California, to use Acura sedans as the platform to create even more exciting and dynamic custom vehicles.

2014 Acura RLX VIP Sedan

Evasive Motorsports created an Acura RLX VIP Sedan that is equally comfortable for daily commuting, or as a stylish upgrade for an evening on the town. The design includes a custom carbon fiber front bumper lip and vents, a modified rear bumper and fabricated exhaust system with titanium tips. Chargespeed side skirts combined with a deck lid spoiler and splash guards from Acura Genuine Accessories round out the body modifications. Nano-Fusion Film is used to protect paint on the front end. The wheels are 21-inch Advan F15 models wrapped in 245/35ZR-21 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, both contributing to the VIP look. Prototype Tein Street Flex coilovers allow lowering of the RLX body. Four-pot Project Mu calipers and brake pads, and Evasive-spec brake rotors sit behind the front wheels. In the cabin, custom neck pillows wrapped in Jordan Brand-inspired elephant print add luxury and style.

Powertrain Modifications
Custom Evasive Motorsports exhaust
Quad titanium exhaust tips

Chassis/Suspension Modifications
21 x 9-inch (+35mm offset) AVS Model F15 wheels
245/35ZR-21 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires
Prototype Tein Street Flex Coilovers
Project Mu 4-piston big brake kit
Project Mu NS400 brake pads
Custom Evasive-spec brake rotors

Exterior Modifications
Custom carbon fiber front chin spoiler
Custom carbon fiber front bumper vents
Chargespeed carbon fiber side skirts
Acura Genuine Accessories deck lid spoiler
Acura Genuine Accessories splash guard set
Muteki SR48 Lugs
S&A Design vinyl stickers
Nano-Fusion paint protection film

Interior Modifications
Custom Jordan Brand-inspired elephant print neck pillows

2014 Acura RLX Urban Luxury Sedan

The 2014 Acura RLX Urban Luxury Sedan, by MAD Industries, is designed to appeal to the driver looking for a performance luxury sedan for every day needs. For the exterior, an Acura Genuine Accessory decklid spoiler and 3M 1080 Scotchprint wrap film, in brushed black metallic with gloss black accents, create a bold but refined look. 3M Color Stable window film completes the appearance creating a modern urban style. Silver 22-inch Niche wheels wrapped in Nitto Invo tires add an aggressive element to the stance. Complementing the wheels, MPG custom satin black caliper covers finish off the exterior details. Inside, a contemporary feel is created by 3M brushed black metallic film door and trim accents.

Chassis/Suspension Modifications
22 x 9-inch Niche Apex-M125 silver & machined wheels
265/30ZR-22 Nitto Invo luxury sport performance tires
MPG Custom satin black caliper covers

Exterior Modifications
Acura Genuine Accessories deck lid spoiler.

Interior Modifications
3M 1080 Scotchprint wrap film series in brushed metallic – 1080-BR212

- See more at: http://acuraconnected.com/2013/11/05...ma/#more-11291
Attached Thumbnails Acura to Debut Custom Performance Sedans at SEMA-rlx_900_2013_11_05_01.jpg   Acura to Debut Custom Performance Sedans at SEMA-rlx_900_2013_11_05_03.jpg   Acura to Debut Custom Performance Sedans at SEMA-rlx_900_2013_11_05_02.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Now if only Acura would let us sell something like this... Oh I don't know.... Name it the RLX TYPE-S. People would be all over it! To bad Acura's R&D or who ever is in charge of what goes into styling, and features of these cars needs fired. They've hidden ALL of the exhausts. People enjoy nice twin/quad pipes on cars.

I can only hope our product lineup takes some inspiration from this!
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Not a RICED out RLX???? The stickers are hideous! The Hybrid Sport SHAWD is better looking esp. the front end (built in fog lights) etc....
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Good Vibes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Silly Acura....stickers are for kids.

Last edited by islandbeef; 11-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
At least this actually has more than a supercharger like the Sema ILX.
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Good Vibes

http://www.hondasacuras.com/2013/11/...rformance.html

JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Wow the ignorance.

It is a sponsored car. It MUST have those decals.
And if you think that is rice then my god dont venture out into the real world with all those knock off wheels, mid muffler deletez for the soundzor, and a full page parts list with 4 performance pieces and the rest tint, wraps, and LED lightz.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013), Toby123 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'll take the Urban RLX (those are the pix in post #6) with the VIP RLX's exhaust. The Urban has a nice drop and those wheels are NICE. The exhaust.....OK I will admit I am all 2000's or 1990's and still like my exhaust tips.
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
No header/J-pipe ?
No high-flow intake ?
No large diameter intake throttle ?
No ECU retuning ?
No super/turbo-charger ?

No sway bars ?

No significant boost in hp ?
JTL-DANCHO (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why buy something already "customized" that looks just lime the next guys??? I'd rather have aftermarket support and be able to make it my own. Built not bought!!!!
JTL-DANCHO (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Man, Fugly!

I would not mind some parts to customize the ride with, but they need to fit the category of vehicle they are intended for. The front clip mods just looked tacky.
The exhausts do not fit the stock design, either re-do the entire rear bumper to integrate visible exhausts or just don't do it.

Also, that change to wheel and suspension geometry must totally screw up the PAWS programming. Would love to see a before/after slalom test on these monstrosities. Bet they are actually slower / worse handling.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Instructor

BTW- if some creative after-market vendors really wants my bucks, then please, please design and deliver a stylish replacement grill that deletes the last vestiges of that stupid 'beak'/'shield'. That car deserves a nicely integrated grill. No body color BS, just nice simple chrome or satin-chrome. Oh, and no chicken wire either ....
Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I love the stance. It's good to see aftermarket accessories and kits for the RLX. It will appeal to a broader range of customers.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
I love the stance. It's good to see aftermarket accessories and kits for the RLX. It will appeal to a broader range of customers.
Yes, all three of them.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The core buyer for the RLX is most likely not interested in these types of modifications, but with the base model with "incentives" available in the low- mid $40's range, there may be a small market for those inclined to individualize their vehicles to use the base RLX as their foundation. That is my only guess as to why Acura brought out so many versions of such a low-volume car. Tricking out such a large/heavy/expensive car is not something you would normally see, so I think this is a bit of a stretch at best.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I agree with Hondamore. For the love of god, people need to stop thinking the RLX is a "sports" car. Every post I see in this damn forum takes the perspective of trying to compare the RLX to something like a 3-series, ILS, A5, or some other luxury sport-sedan.

The RLX was designed as an "executive luxury" sedan. As such it attracts and caters to that person who wants a nice luxury sedan they can use for business, but also have something stylish, sleek, with tech, and can be just sporty enough when a little fun is warranted. Time and time again I get nothing but major compliments about my RLX when I'm out with clients doing business, day or night. My family loves it, and I love it. And that's about all I can ask for in a car like this coupled with the reliability and durability of Honda/Acura engineering.

All that being said, I really love the look of that Urban RLX. Pretty much the spoiler and the rims are about the only real change to it that give it a sportier edge. With those 5-spoke wheels, it reminds me of my 06 NBP TL.
cyph (11-07-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No header/J-pipe ?
No high-flow intake ?
No large diameter intake throttle ?
No ECU retuning ?
No super/turbo-charger ?

No sway bars ?

No significant boost in hp ?
Yep all cosmetic crap!!!!!! I guess those stickers add some zoom zoom hp huh Acura?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try as I might, I just can't seem to warm up to the exterior styling of the RLX! The
"attraction" factor is simply not there...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Try as I might, I just can't seem to warm up to the exterior styling of the RLX! The
"attraction" factor is simply not there...
I think that Acura have used the same theory as they used with the RL. They market a classy looking car that does not have a date stamp. E.G. the GS350, or all of the Lexus line, uses the pinched nose grill design, it will last a few years and will then go away. You will then always remember that design associated with this era. The RLX may be considered bland but it was done on purpose for those who appreciate the subtleties of its approach.
hondamore (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
The RLX was designed as an "executive luxury" sedan. As such it attracts and caters to that person who wants a nice luxury sedan they can use for business, but also have something stylish, sleek, with tech, and can be just sporty enough when a little fun is warranted. Time and time again I get nothing but major compliments about my RLX when I'm out with clients doing business, day or night. My family loves it, and I love it. And that's about all I can ask for in a car like this coupled with the reliability and durability of Honda/Acura engineering.
Absolutely. I went to lunch with the wife yesterday and as I drove next to her, I thought it's a superb looking car. The Acura front shield is iconic, much better than the BMW's double grill and the Audi's single grill. I mean, the BMW has been sporting the same ugly double grill since the 1950's! Alas, we may be in the minority.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Good Vibes

If I wanted a classy, less ricey, VIP aftermarket styling for the RLX, I'd wait for something from Wald International.
Check out their site: http://www.wald.co.jp/english/
Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonFo
BTW- if some creative after-market vendors really wants my bucks, then please, please design and deliver a stylish replacement grill that deletes the last vestiges of that stupid 'beak'/'shield'. That car deserves a nicely integrated grill. No body color BS, just nice simple chrome or satin-chrome. Oh, and no chicken wire either ....
gosh darn-it, the factory went and used chicken wire in the new RLX Sports Hybrid. Why oh why is chicken wire 'sporty'?