Think I’m now required to upgrade my rims…..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Think I’m now required to upgrade my rims…..

First RDX, first Acura, we just took delivery on the 30th. Dealer added light tint to the front windows, so today I took it to my local go-to shop, and had them scrape off the dealer added and instead install Llumar Pinnacle 5% all around.

Holy cr*p, what a difference. With the factory rear tint already being ~18%, once the 5% was put on, it’s gorgeously dark now, and helps darken the forward cabin a bit too.

Sooooo, I think I HAVE to upgrade from the horrid standard Advance rims?!?!? Pretty sure that’s an unwritten rule with this combo, as black rims should look great now. 😎
Old 05-15-2021, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Edited late to ask…..

Are places like Curry Acura & similar about the best I can hope for if I decide I don’t want aftermarket and want the Glint Black Acura wheels? Prices are decent considering, but after $3-400 shipping to CenTex area, they’re only about $90-110 less than my local dealer options having them shipped direct to them. Want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious if we go the OEM route.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:22 PM
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Somebody listed a set of refurbished black wheels on eBay for $1,099 with free shipping.
eBay wheels

I actually don’t hate the Advance wheels and got a second set cheap for my winter tires.

People have powder-coated them black and the look good.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by catbert430
Somebody listed a set of refurbished black wheels on eBay for $1,099 with free shipping.
eBay wheels
I actually don’t hate the Advance wheels and got a second set cheap for my winter tires.
People have powder-coated them black and the look good.
I didn't think of going the refurb route, that's definitely something I should look into if we want the OEM ones, thanks!
The stock advanced ones have grown on me over the last two weeks, but I know I, (in particular the better half), is really wanting a semi-blackout/stormtrooper look, hah. I did toy with the idea of getting new summer tires for whatever rims we buy, as use the stock advanced rims and Contis for winter. Realistically though, I can't justify it, as winters in Central Texas just tend to get cold, (other than every 4-5 years, when we get a single day of light dust......Or in the rare case like the other month, when the whole State was hammered by a 100-year snowpocalypse, lol. That shut down the whole place though, and I wouldn't venture out regardless of what rubber I had on at the time).
Old 05-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts
Car looks great with the window tint. That is so dark though, how do you see out of it at night (backing up, etc.)? I have 20% all around, and that is pretty tough at night.

Anyway, hopefully you don't get hassled to much by the cops for it!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swttsx007
Car looks great with the window tint. That is so dark though, how do you see out of it at night (backing up, etc.)? I have 20% all around, and that is pretty tough at night.

Anyway, hopefully you don't get hassled to much by the cops for it!
I've had 5% on my cars for ~two decades now. I've got issues with glare/halos at night from any light, (headlights in particular, but even street lamps depending if they're newer or older mercury style, brightness, etc). So I got an exemption from the State way back and keep a letter from TXDPS in my glovebox. (I heard that's no longer needed, and you can just keep a 'RX/letter' from an ophtha Doc, but since I did mine way back, they already have me in their secret database, lol).

I was tempted to go a bit lighter this time, maybe 15%, as I have noticed over the years that while the glare issue has gotten worse, so too has my general night-vision, (yay for my 40s, haha). In the end though, I've become so accustomed to it, I stayed with what I'm used to. It certainly means you have to be more aware and not distracted when driving in rural streets/neighborhoods and such without much ambient light. And of course I can't complain about the help it also provides during daytime/summer.

I've only been pulled over for tint once, and once he looked at the letter I had no issue. Truthfully though, I was hot-dogging a Charger SRT I had at the time, and drew the attention of a Trooper, so the tint was just easy PC for him to make a stop, that was all on me for making myself a target. Nothing like being younger and dumber.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by RBP3072
I've had 5% on my cars for ~two decades now. I've got issues with glare/halos at night from any light, (headlights in particular, but even street lamps depending if they're newer or older mercury style, brightness, etc). So I got an exemption from the State way back and keep a letter from TXDPS in my glovebox. (I heard that's no longer needed, and you can just keep a 'RX/letter' from an ophtha Doc, but since I did mine way back, they already have me in their secret database, lol).

I was tempted to go a bit lighter this time, maybe 15%, as I have noticed over the years that while the glare issue has gotten worse, so too has my general night-vision, (yay for my 40s, haha). In the end though, I've become so accustomed to it, I stayed with what I'm used to. It certainly means you have to be more aware and not distracted when driving in rural streets/neighborhoods and such without much ambient light. And of course I can't complain about the help it also provides during daytime/summer.

I've only been pulled over for tint once, and once he looked at the letter I had no issue. Truthfully though, I was hot-dogging a Charger SRT I had at the time, and drew the attention of a Trooper, so the tint was just easy PC for him to make a stop, that was all on me for making myself a target. Nothing like being younger and dumber.
I've been there I had a Camaro Z28 when I was younger, and I, too, did some questionable things that made me pop-up on the cops radar. Live and learn I suppose!