Vehicle Wifi won't connect to my home network

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Vehicle Wifi won't connect to my home network

Never had this problem before. Not with laptops, phones, tablets, etc. I select Network (not Hot Spot) enter the SSID, select WPA2-PSK security and key in the password. Keep getting 'network not found'. The router is just feet away from the vehicle, just the other side of the wall of the garage. I get a strong signal on my phone.

On all other devices I've connected, they usually discover the network when I just enter the SSID. Then, it recognizes the security and asks for a password. I have the SSID hidden. Could that be the problem, even if I enter the SSID?

Of course, I want to use my home network for OTA updates. That's probably all.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
We have ATT uverse and just had this exact same problem trying to connect a couple of wifi cameras to look in on our cats when we're gone. Never had this problem before either. The network name was 10 characters of upper and lower case letters and a couple of numbers. The password was 12 characters of letters, numbers and symbols. Our tech geek neighbor stopped by today to see if he could help. He changed the 2.4 and 5g network name in the router to something simple like myatt1 and left the password unchanged and the cameras connected right up to our home wifi.
This might be worth a try for your car, it would be easy enough to change back if it doesn't work.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Never had this problem before. Not with laptops, phones, tablets, etc. I select Network (not Hot Spot) enter the SSID, select WPA2-PSK security and key in the password. Keep getting 'network not found'. The router is just feet away from the vehicle, just the other side of the wall of the garage. I get a strong signal on my phone.

On all other devices I've connected, they usually discover the network when I just enter the SSID. Then, it recognizes the security and asks for a password. I have the SSID hidden. Could that be the problem, even if I enter the SSID?

Of course, I want to use my home network for OTA updates. That's probably all.
My 2018 F150 have the exact same problem with hidden SSID. Once I published the SSID in the open, I was able to connect. Might be the same thing with Acura.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by rikee
My 2018 F150 have the exact same problem with hidden SSID. Once I published the SSID in the open, I was able to connect. Might be the same thing with Acura.
Yeah, I'll try that next. It doesn't come up on the list, while other secure networks do, probably from my neighbors. But usually, once I enter the SSID, the network is found as secure and the device asks for a key.

I know hiding the SSID is not a means of security but it weeds out most of the uninitiated.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 PM
Skeptic

As I suspected, broadcasting the SSID solved the problem. Now, I hope it retains the network and key. I use a very long and complicated key and it's a PITA to enter it on the keyboard. Lots of both letters and numbers.
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (03-24-2019)