Unable to get the 1.6.2 software update on a 2021 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unable to get the 1.6.2 software update on a 2021 RDX

Despite the fact that the new software version has been out for two weeks, I'm unable to install it on my 2021 RDX Plat Elite. OTA is saying there isn't any update available and the USB option isn't working as I always get an error message stating that the json file is corrupt.

I'm putting a lot of hope on the latest version in order that the system becomes somewhat operable and constant lagging while trying to use the system gets fixed; CarPlay is not working most of the time.

Anyone knows how to force the update ? Or delete the whole infotainment software and reinstall it so the update becomes available ?

Solution other than going to the stealership which takes several weeks to get an appointment in the Montreal area.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Try a factory data reset on the infotainment settings. Also, disconnect the battery terminals and touch the two together for 30 seconds to do a hard reset.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Try a factory data reset on the infotainment settings. Also, disconnect the battery terminals and touch the two together for 30 seconds to do a hard reset.
Thanks for the suggestion but it only does a reset. I want to delete the whole software and reinstall it.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stherria
Thanks for the suggestion but it only does a reset. I want to delete the whole software and reinstall it.
There isn't an option for that. If those two suggestions don't work then it will need to be diagnosed at the dealer. Worst case, it would need a new infotainment unit.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

There isn't an option for that. If those two suggestions don't work then it will need to be diagnosed at the dealer. Worst case, it would need a new infotainment unit.
I'll try the factory reset and hope this will work. I want to avoid at all costs the stealership, service is so bad that they make you look stupid when you explain the issue and they don't know what to do most of the times. That's after having waited several weeks to get an appointment....bad service is what Acura does best.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

i tried the factory data reset from the infotainment and it didn’t work. I’m unable to try the second option as I don’t have the required tools to remove the battery.

I’ll try contacting Acura relations department to see what are the options available beside having to go to an unpleasant dealership service dept.

40 months till I get rid of this bucket of troubles
Old 12-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Cruisin'

RDX is at the dealership currently. They said they replaced two modules that would cause the sluggishness, popping noise and would prevent updates proceeding on the infotainment system. They said it took one hour of work. Relatively short amount of time considering just booting up the infotainment takes about 5 minutes….

I’ll do a 100km drive to get my RDX back and want to make sure that they actually did what was needed to be done.

You seem to know a lot about Acura’s products. Doesn’t this make any sense that could resolve the many issues with the system ?

The dealer explanations sound a bit fishy to me.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

RDX is at the dealership currently. They said they replaced two modules that would cause the sluggishness, popping noise and would prevent updates proceeding on the infotainment system. They said it took one hour of work. Relatively short amount of time considering just booting up the infotainment takes about 5 minutes….

I’ll do a 100km drive to get my RDX back and want to make sure that they actually did what was needed to be done.

You seem to know a lot about Acura’s products. Doesn’t this make any sense that could resolve the many issues with the system ?

The dealer explanations sound a bit fishy to me.
I'm not sure what modules they could've replaced to help with this. It sounds like they replaced your FAKRA connectors though, which won't help in your case. It will with popping noise, screen going day/night, some other issues...
I would probably lean towards replacing the infotainment unit if I was personally working on your car.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
I hope your issue is resolved. If your car still cannot OTA to 1.6.2, here is my suggestion regarding to the JSON corruption issue with USB update. Try formatting the USB disk and try again. You should be able to view the resulting JSON file with any text editor on PC. The JSON file contains various HW and software version information and your VIN, so you can easily tell if the file is good or not.

If the USB site can read the JSON file but still says no update for your car, either you or the service department need to contact Acura as this could be a server side issue. My understanding is the server keeps track of SW status for each VIN, so for example once you do OTA even if you upload old JSON file to the USB site, the USB site tells you the car is up-to-date.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
BTW, perhaps the update has not been made available to any Canadian RDX?
Old 12-23-2021, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

Despite the fact that the new software version has been out for two weeks, I'm unable to install it on my 2021 RDX Plat Elite. OTA is saying there isn't any update available and the USB option isn't working as I always get an error message stating that the json file is corrupt.

I'm putting a lot of hope on the latest version in order that the system becomes somewhat operable and constant lagging while trying to use the system gets fixed; CarPlay is not working most of the time.

Anyone knows how to force the update ? Or delete the whole infotainment software and reinstall it so the update becomes available ?

Solution other than going to the stealership which takes several weeks to get an appointment in the Montreal area.

Thanks.
I own a 2020 RDX Aspec. I do not drive very much (9,500Km in 2 years), but this morning I checked my software version and it shows D.1.5.1 so I tried to do a software update via OTA and I was unable to update. I suspect that Acura might have pulled the update. So far I have not had infotainment issues so it's not a big deal for me. Sorry to hear about the issues you are having!
Old 12-23-2021, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Solution other than going to the stealership which takes several weeks to get an appointment in the Montreal area.Thanks.
Originally Posted by 12Monkeys
I own a 2020 RDX Aspec. I do not drive very much (9,500Km in 2 years), but this morning I checked my software version and it shows D.1.5.1 so I tried to do a software update via OTA and I was unable to update. I suspect that Acura might have pulled the update. So far I have not had infotainment issues so it's not a big deal for me. Sorry to hear about the issues you are having!
Originally Posted by sonyfever
BTW, perhaps the update has not been made available to any Canadian RDX?
In THIS POST I quoted two other Canadians that had not received the update, and I asked if any Canadian had received it. So far I have not obtained any answers to my query. In that post I speculated that all Canadian models may not require the update.
The following users liked this post:
12Monkeys (12-23-2021)