Passenger Blind Spot detection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Passenger Blind Spot detection

i have notice the passenger blind spot is not working and almost pushed a car off freeway. No flashing light, not audible sound. Checked the settings and all is turned on. Took car into dealer and they could not find anything wrong. I know I’m not dreaming. Is there an adjustment or something I can try?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Herbst
...Is there an adjustment or something I can try?
1 - Make sure the sensors aren't covered by dirt/debris/etc.
2 - Adjust the mirrors so you don't have blind spots and then use them.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Where are the sensors? My car was just washed and no notification or lights. Thanks for the advice on using mirrors, wasn’t helpful and condescending. Also not the point of my post.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Where are the sensors?...

Per page 438 of the owner's manual they are under the rear bumper corners.

Make sure the system is turned on. Refer to page 345 of the owner's manual.
...Thanks for the advice on using mirrors, wasn’t helpful and condescending....
Was not intended to be condescending but rather serious, hopefully helpful, advice. Visual confirmation of clear space is orders of magnitude more reliable than an electronic system that is subject to failure and has documented situations where it will not function - pages 438-440 or the owner's manual:

The blind spot information system alert indicator may
not come on under the following conditions:

• A vehicle does not stay in the alert zone for more
than two seconds.
• A vehicle is parked in a side lane.
• The speed difference between your vehicle and the
vehicle you are passing is greater than 6 mph (10
km/h).
• An object not detected by the radar sensors
approaches or passes your vehicle.
• A vehicle running in the adjacent lane is a
motorcycle or other small vehicle.

The system is for your convenience only. Even if an
object is within the alert zone, the following
situations may occur.

• The blind spot information system alert indicator
may not come on due to obstruction (splashes,
etc.) even without the Blind Spot Information
System Not Available multi-information display
appearing.

Blind spot information system may be adversely
affected when:

• Objects (guard rails, poles, trees, etc,.) are
detected.
• An object that does not reflect radio waves well,
such as a motorcycle, is in the alert zone.
• Driving on a curved road.
• A vehicle is moving from a far lane to the adjacent
lane.
• The system picks up external electrical interference.
• The rear bumper or the sensors have been improperly
repaired or the rear bumper has been deformed.
• The orientation of the sensors has been changed.
• In bad weather (Heavy rain, snow, and fog).
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
All the more reason to always TURN YOUR HEAD to look before you change lanes. NEVER rely on sensors or even just a mirror. At the risk of sounding like an "old fart" never trust technology completely, always verify when ever possible. I doubt if the excuse "I'm sorry but my blind spot sensor didn't alert me, officer" will hold water with either the cop, the judge or your insurance company.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Blind spot detection does not work if car moving less than 20 mph
Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree blind spot notification is not working well. My mirror are set correctly, and if your on the entry ramp to enter the freeway, you can't see the right lane of the freeway were the car which could hit you will show up. The warning comes on too late, and I don't count on it working, so I turn and look. You overlook the stupid replys you get on this as well as any forum. A lot of folks just like to get under you skin. Sorry there are people like this on the site. They should be removed! I also ordered a convex mirror from Herman Rickter that has a suction cup that is installed to the windshield. I haven't received it yet, but it should be Wednesday. I hope it helps. I did read when
a review of the RDX, that they were disappointed with the blind spot and it's notification. My car warns me when the car is adjacent to the back door, which is not soon enough. I have a number of complaints with this car, but overall I still like the power and handling.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Mine work great and I still turn and look to see with my eyes whats there. I don’t rely on the tech in the RDX to do basic skills taught when I learned to drive at 15. Anyone relying soley or most of the time for the tech to look out for you then your asking for something to happen. Glad your not the moderator for this site and also alot of folks here put out good info for others so you might want to tone it down with the removing and stupid comment. Try reading the manual for your car and then read it again. I have read mine several times and continue to when I have down time. Its all explained there.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kboo74656
...I don’t rely on the tech in the RDX to do basic skills taught when I learned to drive at 15. Anyone relying soley or most of the time for the tech to look out for you then your asking for something to happen...
+1 If the blind spot detection on any of my vehicles were to quit working it would probably take me a month or so to notice it. Nothing, as in absolutely nothing, works better than your eyes.

The only 'tech' I use regularly is the backup camera - and that because the rear sight lines on most modern vehicles, especially CUVs and SUVs, is miserable.

That said the front camera has been useful a couple of times to help 'look around' blind corners or pulling into a really tight spot.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Pro

Well said and I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Pro

I feel like in these modern days we are slowly relying on all the tech in our lives to do it for us. That in turn is making us lazy and we’re slowly losing valuable human skills. Don’t get me wrong the tech is nice to have but don’t let it take over especially on the road. Too many folks are driving heads down instead of heads up, eyes forward, and looking around.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 PM
10th Gear

I would notice immediately, I haven’t had to turn my head around since blind spot monitoring and 360 degree cameras were available.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Funny, I still use my mirrors more than the back up camera and I zip out of spots faster than these mouth breathers drooling while watching their cameras and pulling out of spots at 1 MPH (I'm not even exaggerating).
Old 12-10-2021, 02:46 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
All the more reason to always TURN YOUR HEAD to look before you change lanes. NEVER rely on sensors or even just a mirror. At the risk of sounding like an "old fart" never trust technology completely, always verify when ever possible. I doubt if the excuse "I'm sorry but my blind spot sensor didn't alert me, officer" will hold water with either the cop, the judge or your insurance company.

Agree, some of us have that long-ago-learned habit of turning our heads. Some cars however, like the RDX, add challenges to that with tougher than normal views out that rear passenger side due to the styling/design of that little window on the rear quarter panel. I always look, my wife always depends on the mirrors, which I could never do.
The following users liked this post:
jimmyjjoy (12-10-2021)