New to this Fob thing - Simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this Fob thing - Simple questions

Hey everyone. I upgraded from my 2010 RDX to a 2019 RDX and I love it. Here's a dumb question coming from someone who never owned a car that used a fob:

Car is off. If I left the fob in the cup holder, got out of the car and closed the door. Is it possible to lock the keys in the car via the button on top of the door handle? Or is the car smart enough to not allow that?
Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
The doors won't lock.
You will get multiple beeps instead.
I found this out when I tried to pack the #2 fob in my luggage as a spare.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:37 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
You also cannot remote start the car from fob 1 with fob#2 in the car.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrdx
Here's a dumb question coming from someone who never owned a car that used a fob....
I don’t think your question is “dumb.” The key fob (Acura just calls it “the key”) is involved with a number of functions on the RDX, some of which are not obvious, so it is important to know how it works—and the precautions.

You may want to read the “Owner’s Manual” or the “Owner’s Guide” carefully. Pages 148 through 184 of the Manual cover procedures and precautions about the key. There are other places where the key is involved (like the “Driving Position Memory System” on page 201) so you have to do some looking.

Acura does not provide an “Owner’s Manual” at delivery; you have to download it or order a printed copy. The “Owner’s Guide” does come with the car and has a lot, but not all, of the necessary information about the key, scattered throughout.

I’ve driven Acuras with fobs since 2005, and the 2019 has newer features like “walk-away locking” that present new opportunities for me to screw something up. Twice now I’ve left passengers in the car while I run into the store with the key in my pocket, forgetting about the walk-away feature; when they later changed their mind and tried to open the door, the security alarm went off. I just found a procedure to temporarily deactivate walk-away locking on page 153 of the Manual (but I do not see it in the Guide).

Last edited by robuckj; 08-19-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
billyt1963 (08-19-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got the car and 50% of the time i leave the car (after closing the door with key in my pocket), right away it does 5 or so really quick beeps, and then as i walk away it does the auto lock beep. Any idea what that series of beeps means??
Old 09-16-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chkelly
I just got the car and 50% of the time i leave the car (after closing the door with key in my pocket), right away it does 5 or so really quick beeps, and then as i walk away it does the auto lock beep. Any idea what that series of beeps means??
That is the warning beeps that Auto Lock is on and will fire when you are beyond five feet.. In the case you have passengers in the car and did not mean to lock the car...
chkelly (10-24-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chkelly
I assume from your question that you have enabled the “walk away auto lock” feature (which is “off” by default from the factory).

SHORT ANSWER: I have enabled the auto lock feature, and I sometimes get the “really quick beeps” after walking away—as far as I can tell, it means something is not right, and I need to go back to the car and press the door button or tailgate button to manually lock it. But, I cannot figure out why it happens.

LONG ANSWER: The auto lock sequence is described on pages 152-153 of the Owner’s Manual. The expected sequence is right after you shut the door, a beeper sounds; after you walk more than 5 feet away, “...some exterior lights flash; the beeper sounds; all doors and tailgate will then lock.”

In my experience, I will get the first single beep (which happens when I am still standing by the car after closing the door or tailgate). After I walk 5 feet away, and should hear the sound of the doors locking and a 2nd single beep to confirm, I sometimes get the series of short/rapid beeps instead—no door-locking sound, and no 2nd single beep. In 3 months, I have experienced this only twice when walking away after closing the driver’s door, but about 25% of the time when walking away after closing the tailgate. I am not aware of doing anything differently each time.

I think the short/rapid series of beeps might be the “Auto lock function operation stop beeper” described on page 153 of the Owner’s Manual, which says:
“Auto lock function operation stop beeper. After the auto lock function has been activated, the auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The keyless access remote is put inside the vehicle through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle.
• The keyless access remote is put inside the tailgate. If the warning beeper sounds, check that you are carrying the keyless access remote. Then, open/close a door and confirm the auto lock activation beeper sounds once.”

As far as I know, I have never met those conditions. Also, I could be wrong about the short/rapid beeps being the same as the “auto lock function stop beeper” since I’m not sure that they go for a full two seconds—they just sound like a series of 5 or 6 very quick beeps, maybe one second. There is not much in the OM about “multiple beeps,” and what’s there is not related to locking.

So, I guess I’ve got a question for the dealer, next time I see him.
chkelly (10-24-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Only times I've gotten the multiple warning beeps are when I've activated the auto hatch close process and walked beyond the auto-lock perimeter before the process has completed. This has happened often enough that I'm now conditioned to wait for the hatch to close before walking away, though it remains to be seen how that conditioning will persist into the rainy season.
robuckj (09-18-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For the walk away auto lock to work correctly, one needs to stay near the vehicle for the initial single beep. Once that has been accomplished, you can walk farther way and wait for the second beep to take place. Once the second beep has fired, then the vehicle is locked. The multiple beep signal means you have walked away took quickly without waiting for the initial, single beep to fire.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
How far can you walk away while the car is running and the key is in your pocket? I accidentally left it running today and was a good 100ft from the car. Glad the parking lot was empty and nobody stole it lol 😂
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
How far can you walk away while the car is running and the key is in your pocket? I accidentally left it running today and was a good 100ft from the car. Glad the parking lot was empty and nobody stole it lol 😂
Once the vehicle is running it will stay running until it is turned off or it runs out of gas -- even if the key is no longer present. Once you start the engine you can get on a plane with the key and fly halfway around the world.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:23 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrdx
Hey everyone. I upgraded from my 2010 RDX to a 2019 RDX and I love it. Here's a dumb question coming from someone who never owned a car that used a fob:

Car is off. If I left the fob in the cup holder, got out of the car and closed the door. Is it possible to lock the keys in the car via the button on top of the door handle? Or is the car smart enough to not allow that?
Has this ever happened to you? When I first got my 2019 Acura RDX, I unintentionally left the key fob in the console cup holder and exited the vehicle. The doors automatically locked and I walked away. When I came back, I realized the key fob was still in the console cup holder. I took a chance and grabbed the front door handle. The vehicle unlocked and I was able to get in. Lesson learned. I've never left the key fob alone in the vehicle when exiting ever again.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Has this ever happened to you? When I first got my 2019 Acura RDX, I unintentionally left the key fob in the console cup holder and exited the vehicle. The doors automatically locked and I walked away. When I came back, I realized the key fob was still in the console cup holder. I took a chance and grabbed the front door handle. The vehicle unlocked and I was able to get in. Lesson learned. I've never left the key fob alone in the vehicle when exiting ever again.
Yes, that has happened to me as well. Lesson learned here too.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A small hijack to an old thread.
I need to lock my 2015 RDX with the key fob under the seat. (this is typically where a shuttle drive would leave the key when he drops of your car).

Is there any way to do this?

Thanx