Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
She said it was a "bent female pin" on one of the circuit boards. They (corporate) did rule it a factory defect. I didn't get any more specifics than that as she isn't overly technical with cars, but I can try to dig up the paperwork from Acura.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by RegularGuy123
Yes, I would be interested in what was actually replaced, as most modern cars have multiple computers. And was it just a software update or did they actually replace a part? I know Acura now can do over the air updates, but believe that is just related to the infotainment and not mapping drivetrain components so assume one of the computers was replaced???

Ironically this thread came back today . I actually took an RDX for another test drive this afternoon. Once again, I come away liking the driving characteristics. Its just the reliability that I am worried about.

That said, I was over on the Audi forum digging around for Q5 problems, and they have reports of total engine loss while driving. Apparently there is an ECU located under the back seats and it is recessed in a contained area. If a drink is spilled or the sunroof leaks then liquid can pool up in the recessed location and cause total failure. The car doesnt even come back to life, it needs to be towed. There are only a handful of reports, but someone went as far to take pictures and it truly is a lapse in logic from an engineering standpoint.
IMHO, just lease a german car and if it is all good buy it at the end of lease. The extra fee from lease is like an insurance, just in case you get a bad one you can break cleanly and even do early trade-in.

What you mentioned reminded me of the USB ports on F30 3-series, they are located next to the cup holders so you know what can happen.

I think the limp mode issue is well understood by Acura now and water in the intercooler outlet is not the only reason.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Looks like revised TSB puts a limit that this is only covered by “normal warranty”, they dont want to make it a recall
The following users liked this post:
mcshineron (06-08-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Experienced another limp mode today. Highway speeds, raining and lots of spray from others. Scary but managed to pull off the highway. Turned vehicle off and it restarted ok and kept on going. Called my dealer and they played stupid like last time It occurred about 9 months ago as well as telling me they never heard about it. Want me to bring it in to see if they can duplicate it. Fat chance. Client relations suck. It’s a safety issue imho that’s falling on deaf ears.
zroger73 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Experienced another limp mode today. Highway speeds, raining and lots of spray from others. Scary but managed to pull off the highway. Turned vehicle off and it restarted ok and kept on going. Called my dealer and they played stupid like last time It occurred about 9 months ago as well as telling me they never heard about it. Want me to bring it in to see if they can duplicate it. Fat chance. Client relations suck. It’s a safety issue imho that’s falling on deaf ears.
I doubt they’ll ever be able to duplicate the issue. I brought my RDX into the dealer last week for the fuel pump recall. I asked the dealer about the TSB for the limp mode, as I have had the problem in the past. The service advisor said he wasn’t aware of the TSB (sigh) but would check it out. He called later in the day and asked about weather conditions when limp mode occurred. He said the tech went on a web site for Acura techs and discovered there is a TSB for the condition. No $hit. They performed the fix under the same TSB number I had provided them from Acurazine. Good thing they provided me a loaner, the part took two days to get there.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it TSB 20-053 ( http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-053.PDF ) that is applicable for Limp Mode? Are there others that have had this service performed, either with or without having experienced limp mode?
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ssacuraho
Is it TSB 20-053 ( http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-053.PDF ) that is applicable for Limp Mode? Are there others that have had this service performed, either with or without having experienced limp mode?
Yes, mylimp mode issue was addressed by TSB 20-053. I’m not sure they would perform this “service” unless you experience the problem. Since it requires the replacement of the intercooler, I’m sure it isn’t a cheap fix.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
This isn't a recall, but unlike some TSB's that require verification of specific test results (i.e., torque converter clutch judder in the 2017 Ridgeline) before Honda will cover the cost of the repair, TSB 20-053 doesn't. In the absence of such a requirement, it appears the TSB can be performed and the dealer will be reimbursed "upon request" if the customer says, "I've been getting a flashing MIL with a loss of power when driving on humid days - TSB 20-053 appears to address this issue." Of course, some dealers may claim they can't do the work because warranty work pays less than customer-pay work.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zroger73
This isn't a recall, but unlike some TSB's that require verification of specific test results (i.e., torque converter clutch judder in the 2017 Ridgeline) before Honda will cover the cost of the repair, TSB 20-053 doesn't. In the absence of such a requirement, it appears the TSB can be performed and the dealer will be reimbursed "upon request" if the customer says, "I've been getting a flashing MIL with a loss of power when driving on humid days - TSB 20-053 appears to address this issue." Of course, some dealers may claim they can't do the work because warranty work pays less than customer-pay work.
1. We dont know if Acura requires codes for reimbursement, this information may not be public.

2. If codes are not required for reimbursement and dealers are still reluctant to do the work, the only thing we can conclude that reimbursement is so small that they dont want to spend the time(money loss). They rather be doing scheduled maintenance packages or
out of pocket repairs.

Last edited by russianDude; 07-08-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Racer

I can’t imagine codes would be required for reimbursement. The first time limp mode happened to me I shut off the car and restarted it and all was good. I brought the card to the dealer and there were no codes. This was before the tsb was issued. When I brought the car in for the recall I mentioned limp mode had happened again, but I didn’t bring it in because, like the first time, everything was ok after shutdown and restart. They performed the work.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jfkmk:
BerwynBill (07-08-2021), JB in AZ (07-08-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:15 AM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The dealer wouldn't do the TSB on my RDX because it was out of warranty even though I had reported the problem while it was still under warranty!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mike Earwood
The dealer wouldn't do the TSB on my RDX because it was out of warranty even though I had reported the problem while it was still under warranty!
Interesting, I assume there is still power train warranty? What was the price they wanted you to pay?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Are you out of warranty by mileage? Would the power train warranty not cover this?
Old 02-02-2022, 05:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Driving up my street, turned right (same place both times) to a secondary road, accelerated uphill and the car just went gutless. After reading this, no question is went into limp mode, but I was definitely not gunning the engine and rpms were no more than 3000. Took it to the dealer (where they said they have NEVER seen this before) but fixed it, so assume that the diagnosis by previous repliers is correct. 2019 RDX. More electronic issues in this vehicle than any other ones I have had. Never going to buy a new model year again, that is for sure.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I’ve gotten this once and same thing. Accelerating into merging lane in the rain and then died. Went to shop with photos. Dealer won’t help. They try to charge for warranty work and tsbs.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by RiotfunK
I’ve gotten this once and same thing. Accelerating into merging lane in the rain and then died. Went to shop with photos. Dealer won’t help. They try to charge for warranty work and tsbs.
This is wrong. Contact Acura customer support and let them talk to the service manager.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:39 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Acura USA is useless. Limp mode is just one of the many issues I’ve had. Called multiple times and I’ve sent them photos, videos, printouts, work orders, etc and all I got was sorry about your luck. Shop says it’s fine so we won’t do anything. They can give two shits at a dealer and a corporate level about you after the purchase. I have other safety issues, like fuel door getting stuck when it’s cold and can’t refuel, washers don’t work when cold, so can’t see. I live in the northeast. Can only refuel in warmer days. There’s a reason Acura doesn’t sell much anymore.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiotfunK
Acura USA is useless. Limp mode is just one of the many issues I’ve had. Called multiple times and I’ve sent them photos, videos, printouts, work orders, etc and all I got was sorry about your luck. Shop says it’s fine so we won’t do anything. They can give two shits at a dealer and a corporate level about you after the purchase. I have other safety issues, like fuel door getting stuck when it’s cold and can’t refuel, washers don’t work when cold, so can’t see. I live in the northeast. Can only refuel in warmer days. There’s a reason Acura doesn’t sell much anymore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_RDX#Sales
Scroll down to "Sales"
Old 11-25-2022, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

I have a 2021 RDX. Was on the interstate moving at about 70 MPH coming back from Missouri. Raining. Lots of semis creating huge following misty, hard to see rain. Decided to accelerate to pass a couple. Car nearly stalled and acted like it had lost a cylinder's worth of power. Turned on hazards, slowed, pulled over and lifted the hood hearing all kinds of unusual noises. Shut the car off and restarted. All was well. Turned all lane-keeping, etc. off including cruise. Drove the last 100 miles or so without incident. Called dealer and was told likely didn't pull a code. Don't worry and keep driving. Said to make sure front of car was clean. Duh!! I keep my ride spotless (unless driving in the rain). Called CA's Acura line. Absolutely no help. 2 different females had no idea what limp mode was. Read quite a bit since then finding out it could be the result of many things including problems that could damage the motor and/or tranny. WOW!!! Had never heard of "limp mode" before. Nice that no info on this possible problem was anywhere in any user manual. Car has performed flawlessly ever since. So far, I guess the rain had interfered with the "radar" system and confused the computer. I'm thinking about buying a 40 year old car that doesn't have any of the modern computers etc.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts
Rain has everything to do with it, but not the "radar". Take a look at Service Bulletin 20-053 for details, then call the dealer and tell them you want this procedure completed on your RDX. You experienced the "Symptom" listed and they should do it without question. Note that there is a VIN range listed for 2021 RDXs, but I'm guessing yours will fall within that range.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that any Acura service department is unaware of this issue and would suggest that you "Don't worry and keep driving."

I would also suggest you file a complaint on the NHTSA site here.

Ron
Old 12-30-2022, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Well add me to the list. I had the limp mode happen back in 2020 but not since so it wasn't on my mind to take it in. Then I tried to merge onto the expressway on a fairly wet day this month and you guessed it, limp mode. My wife nearly had a heart attack as it was a left hand merge with lots of semis bearing down. Dealership was pretty good on the phone but hadn't heard of the TSB (but they at least acknowledged it after looking it up). They said they'd need to pull codes so I guess I'll be having the conversation about it happening without codes being logged. At least they said the intercooler kit isn't backordered so if it gets the ok, I won't be waiting for weeks. Wish me luck.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BerwynBill
Well add me to the list. I had the limp mode happen back in 2020 but not since so it wasn't on my mind to take it in. Then I tried to merge onto the expressway on a fairly wet day this month and you guessed it, limp mode. My wife nearly had a heart attack as it was a left hand merge with lots of semis bearing down. Dealership was pretty good on the phone but hadn't heard of the TSB (but they at least acknowledged it after looking it up). They said they'd need to pull codes so I guess I'll be having the conversation about it happening without codes being logged. At least they said the intercooler kit isn't backordered so if it gets the ok, I won't be waiting for weeks. Wish me luck.
It’s pretty scary when it happens! When it happened to me I drove it for about 250 miles before I was able to take it in, and there were no codes. It was before I saw the tsb. I had to get some other work done after I knew about the tsb and insisted it get done. At least the dealer was good about performing the work.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Yeah, we won't soon forget the sound of the semi's horn coming up behind us at about 80mph!

My dealer's been pretty good too (except for the whole "squeaky brakes" fiasco) so I'm hoping it won't be a fight to get it done. Still under warranty so fingers crossed.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:55 AM
4th Gear

Thank you for your reply and mentioned the 20-053 SB. However, I've since called both dealers in Indianapolis, IN and neither admit to ever having heard of this issue. So ......... " hard to believe" or not ......... believe it.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by MusicMan51
Thank you for your reply and mentioned the 20-053 SB. However, I've since called both dealers in Indianapolis, IN and neither admit to ever having heard of this issue. So ......... " hard to believe" or not ......... believe it.
Sounds like your dealerships are liars or flat out incompetent. Cue the surprise.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MusicMan51
My dealer's service manager hadn't heard of it when we first talked but was able to pull it up on his computer while we were on the phone. He agreed that it sounded like what I was experiencing and made me an appointment. He agreed that what I had experienced was dangerous and unacceptable so I'm hoping to get the TSB work done without much of a struggle. I put Acura Customer Service in my phone and bookmarked both this TSB and the Honda one for the 2.0L Turbo in the Accord (same problem, diagnosis, and solution). Hopefully, you can get them to listen but you may need to get Acura Customer Service involved and keep pressing the issue. Best of luck.

I wonder if any of these dealers would feel different if they turned away someone with this issue and then they were in an accident. Sounds like an injury lawyers dream case.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Do you have a link to the Accord TSB for this issue? I've searched with no luck.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 01-02-2023, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron T
Do you have a link to the Accord TSB for this issue? I've searched with no luck.

Thanks,

Ron
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Honda/21-052

It came out a couple days after the Acura one.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Just heard from the dealership and they've ordered the intercooler kit and will have the TSB work done tomorrow (they have been really great about the whole thing). They went through the whole explanation of how sometimes TSB work doesn't get approved if the situation can't be duplicated or shown in codes but they said since it's a safety issue if the limp mode happens merging into Chicago traffic, they were going ahead with the work. They even got me a loaner (brand new MDX, really nice but too big for my taste).while I wait.

I'm happy it's getting done as I really like my RDX but had lost a bit of confidence in it after these limp mode problems. I'm also happy to have a dealer that listened and put a customer ahead of the corporate bullshit for once. We get a lot of the dealer horror stories on the boards so I just wanted to pass along a good one.

Last edited by BerwynBill; 01-03-2023 at 02:25 PM.
GW208 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by BerwynBill
Just heard from the dealership ad they've ordered the intercooler kit and will have the TSB work done tomorrow (they have been really great about the whole thing). They went through the whole explanation of how sometimes TSB work doesn't get approved if the situation can't be duplicated or shown in codes but they said since it's a safety issue if the limp mode happens merging into Chicago traffic, they were going ahead with the work. They even got me a loaner (brand new MDX, really nice but too big for my taste).while I wait.

I'm happy it's getting done as I really like my RDX but had lost a bit of confidence in it after these limp mode problems. I'm also happy to have a dealer that listened and put a customer ahead of the corporate bullshit for once. We get a lot of the dealer horror stories on the boards so I just wanted to pass along a good one.
Nice, sounds like your dealer is one of the good ones.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

Limp Mode Cured??

Well, got my 2021 RDX back from the southside dealer in Indy. Replaced the SB 20-053 parts. Service manager was great. Time will tell if all is well. Thinking about this for a while I still don't quite understand something. Since no codes were found (as with what others had previously mentioned), what exactly happened to cause this in the beginning? I understand how humid air in the intact tract condensed and accumulated where it shouldn't. My question is what did the moisture do to cause the "limp mode" to engage? Was there a sensor involved? If so, what sensor was it and if that sensor was triggered to cause the limp mode to engage, why didn't it cause a code? I'm just happy things appear to be repaired and that Acura knew of this and had engineered parts to repair what was needed. Got to drive a 2023 MDX A-Spec for the day. Nice car with several small improvements I would like to see trickle down to the RDX, but for me, I like my RDX a lot better.

Now, if only the next revision includes some improvements to the front brake noise which the MDX did not have and is a recurring theme for Gen 3 RDX SUVs.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:05 PM
Advanced

The moisture causes a misfire to register in one or more cylinders. That does cause a code to be registered but most folks don't get the car immediately to a dealer and the code is deleted after multiple ignition sequences due to the misfire not continuing to occur (the moisture is gone once you get restarted and running again). There have been a couple of reports where the misfire codes were found but most are gone by the time the dealer gets a look at them.
The following 2 users liked this post by BerwynBill:
markm929 (01-21-2023), russianDude (01-20-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:31 AM
4th Gear

Thank you BerwynBill. You have cleared up my confusion. Makes a lot of sense after I read your answer.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:40 AM
Advanced

I had the same questions when I first heard about this and then experienced it. There's a post somewhere with the codes that were thrown after the limp mode, they either had a code reader handy or got it looked at before they cycled the ignition too many times. I have no idea how long the codes stay if the error fails to repeat. But it made sense to me too.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

First limp mode

2020 RDX, just under 70,000 miles. Was on the hwy driving in hard rain for about 45 mins. I don't remember hitting any big puddles. Pulled off the hwy and had to accelerate quick as there was a car coming with the merge and flashing engine light and went into limp mode. I pulled over, turned it off and opened the door, restarted and it was ok. Got back onto the hwy with rain still and the car in front of me hit a huge puddle which covered my car in water to the point where I couldn't see for a second. Drove for another hour with no issue and rain stopped but when I went to pass a car limp mode again and all the warning lights lit up my dash. Brought it in this morning and they found some residue in the engine filter compartment and changed the spark plugs. Tech said with turbo engines he's seen it especially in BMWs which were terrible for it according to him. I saw on the thread here about the 20-053 service bulletin so I'll check with them on that as well. Thanks for all the people posting on here and making this info available.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Dont fall for excuses such as “other turbo cars do the same thing”. They need to fix it and stop making excuses!
markm929 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 04:40 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
It seems amazing that this did not become a recall of some kind. This could potentially be a life threatening problem.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:02 AM
Advanced

If you haven't already done so, be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA (here). They need to get after Acura to address this.

Ron
Old 08-02-2023, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Is this limp mode issue happening only for pre-2022 cars?
Old 08-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
According to this website there is a class action law suit on the limp mode issue:
https://www.carparts.com/blog/acura-...12151184008005

Quick Reply: Limp mode 2019 A-Spec