Harsh shifting 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
The shifting issue that I have experienced with my A-Spec AWD (built in September 2018 and I took her home early October with about 400 miles on the clock now) is that transmission holding either 2nd or 3rd gear too long. It seems to me that this only happens when I make 90 degree turn and accelerate out of the turn. When it finally shifted to the next gear (I believe at around 3,500 RPM), it was not harsh at all. Will log this and report this to the dealer on my first service.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
The shifting issue that I have experienced with my A-Spec AWD (built in September 2018 and I took her home early October with about 400 miles on the clock now) is that transmission holding either 2nd or 3rd gear too long. It seems to me that this only happens when I make 90 degree turn and accelerate out of the turn. When it finally shifted to the next gear (I believe at around 3,500 RPM), it was not harsh at all. Will log this and report this to the dealer on my first service.
Edit, it shifts at around 4,000 RPM, not 3,500 and I was just easing on the gas peddle.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
This makes me wonder if this issue is purely mechanical because I am not having any tranny issues and have smooth shifts regardless of settings or circumstance. I now have 1700 miles and no issues. If it was software, and we all have the same version, they'd all be doing it and I have heard others reply that they are not experiencing this hard shift issue either. Very curious indeed.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DuBignon
In my case, the issue was so significant that the tech acknowledged it, did the snapshot procedure for Techline, and Techline eventually recommended a transmission replacement. According to our service notes, the clutch break-in procedure was recommended by Techline first, the tech performed it, but it didn't improve the performance. The transmission replacement recommendation followed.

It should be underscored that the new transmission has *not* remedied the hard shifting, surging, hesitating, etc. with our RDX. As I mentioned in my previous post, the car drove fine for about 4-5 days following the transmission/torque converter replacement and about a month and ~700 miles later has now regressed back to where it was before. We have a follow up service appointment tomorrow and will see if they can remedy the issues. Will post the results here.
Same here. In my case, the shifting was significant, the tech acknowledged it and I showed them the AcuraOne video that talks about the harsh shifting from one of their head engineers. They tried to complete a relearn procedure 3 times and my trans would not accept the relearn. So the decision was to replace.
@DuBignon so far my new trans is working good. I do have the occasional surging out of 1st gear but all other gears remain smooth. It has been about 3 weeks and I have put about 400 miles on the new transmission. I know I am an anomaly and I hope this transmission remains problem free.
I have been working with Acura Customer Service about replacing the free 3 months of XM, all the AcuraLink stuff and they have been accommodating.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
wow

Wow I had certain hopes with the 3rd gen RDX and after reading that it came with SH_AWD [option], turbo 4 and visible dual exhausts, among other important options; I thought that Acura had finally found the right path. I owned a 13 RDX for a little less than a 2 years and had to ditch it because of VCM BAD vibration, warped rotors, jerky trans when coming to a stop, and bad rattling (left side speaker, etc). I got good money in the trade and bought me a 28i 2014 X3 that I currently drive and that has been flawless for 26k miles and that I ENJOY; I have an extended warranty for 7y/100k miles but I do not think that I will be owning this vehicle beyond that; I know that BMWs repairs can be expensive. BTW This is the 1st reason why I bought the Acura back in 2013; I truly thought that it would be a 10y vehicle but it turned out that I couldnt live with all these issues that I explained before

... Now I am seeing these posts about a transmission issue with the 10 spd.

Dont these guys at Acura learn after so many transmission fiasco's? WTF is wrong with a brand that used to be synonym of reliability and bullet proof ? I am very disappointed with Acura!!!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
It's not that Acura didn't learn it's lesson, it's that cars today are a lot more complex to manufacture with global sourcing and subcontracts. On top of it, it is 1st generation vehicle, not just new design but also new crews and processes.

This is why 1st year vehicle usually takes a dive in reliability scores and is almost always never recommended unless ofcourse you are leasing.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
It's not that Acura didn't learn it's lesson, it's that cars today are a lot more complex to manufacture with global sourcing and subcontracts. On top of it, it is 1st generation vehicle, not just new design but also new crews and processes.

This is why 1st year vehicle usually takes a dive in reliability scores and is almost always never recommended unless ofcourse you are leasing.
I don't buy into that. Honda spent six years developing the 10-speed automatic transmission. It's been in production for over two years and saw use in the Odyssey and Accord more than a year before the 2019 RDX went on sale. Surely, Honda noticed during validation that the RDX's shift quality wasn't very good - especially for a luxury marque. My 2016 Ford Fiesta shifts smoother than my 2019 RDX!

And, if anything, it's easier to create a vehicle these days since so much of it can be designed and prototyped using computers before it heads to production.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zroger73
I don't buy into that. Honda spent six years developing the 10-speed automatic transmission. It's been in production for over two years and saw use in the Odyssey and Accord more than a year before the 2019 RDX went on sale. Surely, Honda noticed during validation that the RDX's shift quality wasn't very good - especially for a luxury marque. My 2016 Ford Fiesta shifts smoother than my 2019 RDX!

And, if anything, it's easier to create a vehicle these days since so much of it can be designed and prototyped using computers before it heads to production.
Which part don't you buy? It's not about design, it's the parts and manufacturing. They are both new for RDX. Are all the gears sourced from the same vendor? As massive as Honda is, I'm sure it has multiple vendors supplying the same spec parts. Who's to say that the gears saw in Odyssey came from the same parts manufacturer. Perhaps the new suppliers had a bad batch of gears....

By your own accord, Honda spent 6 years developing a new transmission and saw success in Odyssey/Accord. So if design is not the issue, then what is? has to be parts/labor/process

It may be easier to "create" a vehicle but the reality is that the sourcing for parts has become a numbers game. With countries being able to produce them growing over the years.... Flat panel TV is the perfect example of that.

Last edited by acuraada; 11-13-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Pro

Which part don't you buy? It's not about design, it's the parts and manufacturing. They are both new for RDX. Are all the gears sourced from the same vendor? As massive as Honda is, I'm sure it has multiple vendors supplying the same spec parts. Who's to say that the gears saw in Odyssey came from the same parts manufacturer. Perhaps the new suppliers had a bad batch of gears....

By your own accord, Honda spent 6 years developing a new transmission and saw success in Odyssey/Accord. So if design is not the issue, then what is? has to be parts/labor/process

It may be easier to "create" a vehicle but the reality is that the sourcing for parts has become a numbers game. With countries being able to produce them growing over the years.... Flat panel TV is the perfect example of that.
The Honda 10AT was designed and developed 100% in-house by Honda. All 10AT's for the Odyssey, Accord, and RDX are currently manufactured at Honda Precision Parts of Georgia. They machine their own gears, by the way.

I haven't driven an Odyssey with the 10AT, but my 2018 Accord with the 10AT had jerky and indecisive 1-2 shifts. Like my RDX, 4-10 shifts are wonderful. It's the 1-2-3 shifts that need attention.
The following users liked this post:
Outfitter (12-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rdx engineer on Autoline after hours

I didn't see it on this thread but Stephen Frey the chief rdx engineer was on Autoline and admitted there was a problem with the trans and harsh shifts. Acura was supposed to be working on a solution. I haven't seen anything on the Acura website addressing this. Wonder what is going on. Disappointing on a luxury car.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JsRDX
I didn't see it on this thread but Stephen Frey the chief rdx engineer was on Autoline and admitted there was a problem with the trans and harsh shifts. Acura was supposed to be working on a solution. I haven't seen anything on the Acura website addressing this. Wonder what is going on. Disappointing on a luxury car.
"This is something that we're aware of and we're looking into. There's something that probably we'll be able to improve in the near future about that shifting. There's a little bit of a shift shock in that area between two and three."

The discussion begins at 34:46.

Acura also communicated this to dealers months ago and recommended that a clutch break-in procedure be performed. If that doesn't help, replacement of the transmission and/or TCM is in order. Some owners on here that have received new transmissions reported that the problem came back.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
i69fstop (12-11-2018), Outfitter (12-12-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zroger73
The Honda 10AT was designed and developed 100% in-house by Honda. All 10AT's for the Odyssey, Accord, and RDX are currently manufactured at Honda Precision Parts of Georgia. They machine their own gears, by the way.

I haven't driven an Odyssey with the 10AT, but my 2018 Accord with the 10AT had jerky and indecisive 1-2 shifts. Like my RDX, 4-10 shifts are wonderful. It's the 1-2-3 shifts that need attention.
thanks for the education. I am running out of excuses for Acura. Shame on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by acuraada:
SandwichViking (11-14-2018), zroger73 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Pro

thanks for the education. I am running out of excuses for Acura. Shame on them.
Haha! I was in denial for a while that my RDX had a problem until I drove a $16K Ford Fiesta and realized even it shifted more smoothly and decisively.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I was contemplating waiting for the redesign mdx but now I'm glad I decided to buy the 19 instead. The refinements they made to the zf9 speed for this year appear to have addressed all issues. I don't even notice the transmission. The new mdx will be based on the new rdx and so will likely experience similar issues it's first year or 2.

If the 10 speed is having issues, even though it was used previously by Honda, is still relatively new and so issues aren't particularly surprising. Neither are the reported issues with the redesigned rdx. Since it's all new and redesigned from the ground up it will have some growing pains that get better over time.

Similarly the 16 mdx had issues when they introduced the zf9 speed, but by 2017 and 2018 most of those issues resulting in replaced trannys had been addressed. Hopefully same thing happens with the new rdx
Old 11-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tested drive yesterday. When the car in comfort / sport mode, it shifted smooth. But when I drove it in Sport plus mode, I experienced the harsh shifting. Is that normal?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I need to stop reading threads like these. It’s enough to make me buy a Lexus NX with a tried and true 6 speed trans....
zroger73 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I do experience shift-shock, it's true. not sure how Acura fix this
Old 01-05-2019, 03:17 PM
6th Gear

I purchased 2019 basic model manufactured from Ohio, the vehicle was delivered in Oct. It started to show harsh shift from the second week. The symptom is pretty same as others posted here. Specifically, it shows jerking at low speed (Very likely when it’s shifting from second to third gear), significant when driving uphill, hardly noticeable in flat road or downhill, once the vehicle is warmed up, the symptom disappears completely, and then it becomes quite nice ACURA. I took the vehicle to service in late December, but there was no loaner vehicle so I made an appointment to come back later. First technician I met there was not even aware of this harsh shifting issue at all, the service manager was though, but said Acurazine was not a reliable source of information. I told him that the web was not where people are posting complaints, but it’s the web where people are posting their experiences only, he seemed to understand. The symptom is not easy to reproduce because it’s gone when it’s warmed and it appears only at a certain condition of uphill, low speed, low temperature. If they couldn’t reproduce the issue, I am going to take a video and upload in Youtube to show them. For those of people who are struggling to reproduce harsh shift at dealer service center, I highly recommend this method. I suggested clutch break in procedure to technician as I learned in this wehb, but he didn’t recommend it because it’s not good for vehicle’s long term reliability. I’ll take the vehicle next week and leave it overnight so they can test it in the morning when it’s cool. I’ll suggest replacement of transmission fluid as well. Let’s see what they can do, I’ll keep you updated.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by gt6339a
I’ll suggest replacement of transmission fluid as well. Let’s see what they can do, I’ll keep you updated.
Why replace the tranny fluid??? Like most computer controlled trannys, I think that Acura is working on an update for the TCM to help with the shifting issue. Sometimes, things that "appear" mechanical in nature can be resolved by software. We'll see but I really don't think having the dealer do anything to the tranny now will make any difference until Acura corporate addresses the issue.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:30 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Gt - thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to Acurazine! It sadly emulates my perception of the dealership experience for any “situational” issue (if you hold your weight this way, mouth this way, and foot on the gas pedal this way while it’s raining) that you want resolved at the dealership. It almost gives me anxiety as those issues come up, and I know I can’t reproduce it in front of the service advisor in the lane upon drop off. I happen to have the issue with the heavier 1-2-3 shifts while it’s cold as you describe. We’re 5000 miles in, and I feel like (maybe it’s psychological because I know it’ll be a fight) it has gotten a little better with mileage and time. Maybe the clutch break-in procedure is exactly as it sounds and after some number of miles we'll have achieved the same thing without them going in and shaving years of use off the clutch. I also hope for a software update to come available through TSB, but in reality ours isn’t that bad, and as I mentioned months ago and several posts above *for me* I don’t think it’s worth a tranny replacement as some have gotten.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Monster_HK
I tested drive yesterday. When the car in comfort / sport mode, it shifted smooth. But when I drove it in Sport plus mode, I experienced the harsh shifting. Is that normal?
Doesn't sound like it,. One model I test drove had zero issue while the other did regardless of modes.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Master47
so hope for a software update to come available through TSB, but in reality ours isn’t that bad, and as I mentioned months ago and several posts above *for me* I don’t think it’s worth a tranny replacement as some have gotten.
​​​​​hoping a software update will fix the problem is a wishful thinking. Go watch one pack video number 7. The engineer specifically said this problem is usually with earlier production problem. The fact that not all of us experience this and it happens regardless of how we drive the car means it's unlikely software.

​​​​​​
Old 01-06-2019, 05:00 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
​​​​​hoping a software update will fix the problem is a wishful thinking.

​​​​​​
Agreed. It’s my wife’s daily driver, and she hasn’t said a word to me about it. Noticing it takes an “Acurazine critical” attention to detail when I’m driving the family around on the weekends. I think there is a spectrum of how harsh that’s vehicle dependent. Unless my wife says something, I’m trying the extended clutch break in procedure...put miles on it.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
So, is this still an issue on new RDXs purchased now, or has it been "fixed"?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Master47
Gt - thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to Acurazine! It sadly emulates my perception of the dealership experience for any “situational” issue (if you hold your weight this way, mouth this way, and foot on the gas pedal this way while it’s raining) that you want resolved at the dealership. It almost gives me anxiety as those issues come up, and I know I can’t reproduce it in front of the service advisor in the lane upon drop off. I happen to have the issue with the heavier 1-2-3 shifts while it’s cold as you describe. We’re 5000 miles in, and I feel like (maybe it’s psychological because I know it’ll be a fight) it has gotten a little better with mileage and time. Maybe the clutch break-in procedure is exactly as it sounds and after some number of miles we'll have achieved the same thing without them going in and shaving years of use off the clutch. I also hope for a software update to come available through TSB, but in reality ours isn’t that bad, and as I mentioned months ago and several posts above *for me* I don’t think it’s worth a tranny replacement as some have gotten.
One of the first things I noticed about my RDX before joining this forum was the uncharacteristically harsh 1-2-3 shifts (4-10 were smooth as butter). After learning how common it was and watching the video and reading about the clutch break-in procedure, I started driving somewhat aggressively in hopes that would speed the clutch break-in if indeed that was the problem. To my pleasant surprise, by the time 1,000 miles has rolled around, the shifting was feeling noticeably smoother. It still wasn't as smooth as I prefer or think it should be for any class of vehicle - especially a luxury vehicle, but it was an improvement. The 2018 Accord I traded in on the RDX also had the 10-speed automatic and was relatively harsh during 1-2-3 shifts. I also don't like how soon this transmission shifts from 1-2 - practically right after it starts moving making it feel indecisive and busy.

I then inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta from a relative. While waiting for the estate to be settled and the car to be transferred into my name so I could sell it, I decided to drive to car daily to give my RDX a break from a couple of road trips. One of the first things I noticed about the Fiesta was how much smoother and quieter its 4-cylinder engine was. The next thing I noticed was how smoothly the 6-speed automatic transmission shifted. I didn't know whether to be impressed with the Ford, disappointed with the Acura, or a combination of both in this scenario.

After selling the Fiesta several weeks later, I started driving the RDX again. That was about the time the audio system software update was released, which didn't fix most of the issues I was experiencing and even added some new problems. The poor workmanship, audio/navigation issues, engine noise/vibration, and transmission feel became too much to tolerate. I've never been as dissatisfied as quickly with any of the other two-dozen-plus vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years as I was with the RDX.

The distance to the nearest Acura dealer means me taking off work and losing a half-day's pay for each service visit. First, I shouldn't have to take a new vehicle in for so many problems. Second, it shouldn't cost me a half-day's pay to take a new vehicle in for warranty repairs or repair attempts.

I decided to cut my losses and trade the RDX for another Ridgeline exactly like one of the two vehicles I traded for the RDX. Despite having similar levels of performance, the Ridgeline's venerable 3.5L V6 engine is much smoother and quieter than the 2.0T. Its old-school 6-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly between all six gears without jerking or hesitating. More interestingly, there wasn't a huge difference in fuel economy between my Ridgeline (21 MPG on regular) compared to my RDX (23 MPG on premium) even though the Ridgeline weighs almost 700 pounds more than the RDX, has AWD (my RDX was FWD), and lacks the annoying idle stop feature that the RDX has.

Based on my actual experiences with two Hondas with the 3.5L/6AT and two with the 2.0T/10AT powertrain, I'm left scratching my head over the laggy, noisy, rough, harsh 2.0T/10AT powertrain considering the quiet, refined, smooth, simpler 3.5L/6AT powertrain does as good or better and actually costs me less in fuel.

I really wanted to love the RDX. Heck, I just wanted to like the RDX and not dread getting in it every morning. It looked so great on paper and so many of the reviews were glowing. I just don't think a luxury brand should have a 4-cylinder engine and more transmission speed than are necessary just for the sake of marketing claims. What's next - a two-cylinder engine with a 20-speed automatic? Hopefully, electric vehicles will take over by the time we get to that point as they are the ultimate in quietness and smoothness.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:03 PM
6th Gear

The tech came over and recorded the harsh shifting, it was not as cold as the other days, still showed jerky shifting at low speed at slight up hill near my place. They acknowledged the problem and suggested one or two minutes of warming up every cold morning. In fact, it need at least 5 to 10 minutes of warming up.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shock shift

I bought mine mid July and I assume it is an early production vehicle.. Four days after delivery, I took it back because of the jerky low gears upshift. Acura dealer service found no problem. It took me a third visit and the involvement of Acura customer relations to fix it. Acura recommended a third clutch re learning procedure. The shock shift has definitely soften, I think I can live with how it behaves now. This is a problem well known to Acura engineers and dealers, but they won't do anything unless you complaint a lot, like I did. Still expectant if the anomaly returns back.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoseMiguelRDX
I bought mine mid July and I assume it is an early production vehicle.. Four days after delivery, I took it back because of the jerky low gears upshift. Acura dealer service found no problem. It took me a third visit and the involvement of Acura customer relations to fix it. Acura recommended a third clutch re learning procedure. The shock shift has definitely soften, I think I can live with how it behaves now. This is a problem well known to Acura engineers and dealers, but they won't do anything unless you complaint a lot, like I did. Still expectant if the anomaly returns back.
Sigh.....Clutch "re-learning procedure"???!!!! This is really BS! Hard jerky shifts are not the result of your driving (throttle) technique from which which the "clutch learns". Acura (Honda) has messed up (once again) when they engineered this new transmission. Acura is hoping that you accept this line of bull crap. that they are giving their customers. They used the same tactics with the owners of the 2nd generation RDX. I was one of them.....
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear

Update to my 8/31 post: The car now has almost 2000 miles. The harsh shifting issue has eased quite a bit since I last rode in the car. No longer bone jarring but still noticeable at times (not butter smooth but ok for now). I hope that it improves further but I am not holding my breath. My wife barely notices (her daily driver) but can detect it under certain conditions. I will mention it to the dealer again when I take it in for the first oil change in about 500 miles. I assume I will receive the same level of indifference as my first visit.

Otherwise no other issues at present....
Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by sdbates19
Update to my 8/31 post: The car now has almost 2000 miles. The harsh shifting issue has eased quite a bit since I last rode in the car. No longer bone jarring but still noticeable at times (not butter smooth but ok for now). I hope that it improves further but I am not holding my breath. My wife barely notices (her daily driver) but can detect it under certain conditions. I will mention it to the dealer again when I take it in for the first oil change in about 500 miles. I assume I will receive the same level of indifference as my first visit.

Otherwise no other issues at present....
why are you changing the oil at 2500 miles???
The following 2 users liked this post by Dereileak:
securityguy (01-26-2019), zroger73 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

probably old tales on changing out factory set engine oil.
zroger73 (01-27-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 PM
6th Gear

I'm collecting data to deliver to Acura, please send me email to rdx2019tranny@hotmail.com with brief description of your harsh shifting.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 PM
6th Gear

if you're owner of rdx 2019 and experiencing harsh shift, please email to rdx2019tranny@hotmail.com, I want to see how many people have same issues.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 AM
6th Gear

So what he's saying is they know the problem and they are not going to fix it in 2019 version.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt6339a
So what he's saying is they know the problem and they are not going to fix it in 2019 version.
​​​​​​
isn't that what Acura did with the ZF9 trannygate? They only attempt to address those who complained the most. There is no way Acura would do a voluntary recall, this is not a safety issue and they will simply bank on warranty claims. Our only hope is a possible software fix. Although if indeed can be fix via software, it should have been a fix by now.

I am wondering if anyone has a late build (Dec) that had this issue.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
​​​​​​
isn't that what Acura did with the ZF9 trannygate? They only attempt to address those who complained the most. There is no way Acura would do a voluntary recall, this is not a safety issue and they will simply bank on warranty claims. Our only hope is a possible software fix. Although if indeed can be fix via software, it should have been a fix by now.

I am wondering if anyone has a late build (Dec) that had this issue.
With the earlier ZF9 2015 builds on the TLX, apparently software updates only did so much. Lot of owners still complained even after the software update. Lucky owners that were able to get a tranny replacement from the MY2016 reported much better transmission behavior. Apparently, the 2016 ZF9 builds had some minor mechanical updates to improve the shift quality. I could see the same thing happening with the MY2020 RDX where Acura/Honda does some mechanical updates to improve the shift quality on the 10AT.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
My '19 RDX has the harsh shifting. I currently am driving a loaner that was built before mine and it shifts as smooth as silk. Go figure.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
My '19 RDX has the harsh shifting. I currently am driving a loaner that was built before mine and it shifts as smooth as silk. Go figure.
The inconsistency in shifting quality (some get a "good" shifting trannie" and others no) is due to poor quality control and probably faulty design. The last thing Acura (Honda) wants is a recall. The fluid changes and software updates recommended for the 2013 - 2017 RDX shudder problem was only a ploy to try to make the frustrated owners think that it was "better and normal. When all else failed Acura occasionally would approve a TC/transmission replacement. Many owners would find that the replacement transmission was no better. Some lucky souls did get a better replacement transmission. Sad state of affairs all around. All these changes to these transmissions are motivated by the quest for better fuel economy. Give me a solid 6-speed trannie that shifts like silk and I would be happy to pay for the extra mpg.
zroger73 (02-07-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 PM
4th Gear

Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved? I'm sitting at over 7000 miles and it still is REALLY bad with slow speeds. Taking it into the dealership again, third time, this week and they continue to tell me they don't see anything wrong...
Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by trojanshawn
Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved? I'm sitting at over 7000 miles and it still is REALLY bad with slow speeds. Taking it into the dealership again, third time, this week and they continue to tell me they don't see anything wrong...
I had the dealer tell me that twice and that there are no updates they can do, once it warms up it’s fine, although you can get it to shift weird if you let off the gas coming up to a stop light and slow down to like 10-15mph then hit the gas again

Quick Reply: Harsh shifting 2nd to 3rd