Audio System...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audio System...

As documented elsewhere you can put 5.1 based content on a USB based storage system plugged into the USB plug in the armrest. This works. Since these 5.1 files are big, I looked into plugging a USB HD into the plug. I tried 3 different brands - (they must be formatted exFAT). All 3 functioned properly.

Problems:
1. The USB plug remains powered up when the car shuts down. I found this out by touching the HD then next morning after the test - and it was hot and lit up after getting into the car [not starting]. You can program some of these HD's to spin down which will help but I do not know how the Acura system will react to a spun down HD....

2. The biggest problem is that the system completely resets with respect to the USB drive every time you start the car. The system will start playing the music it was playing when you turned off the car, then after 1-2 seconds, it stops and re-scans the HD and starts with the first piece of music it finds.

Problem #2 makes using a large HD or even a USB stick a real pain to use. Each time you re-start the car you will have to reset up your music. What makes it worse - the more songs and folder you have the longer it will take before you can use the drive.

This destroys the usefulness of the feature and makes me want my DVD-A player back. It would remember where it was at after a re-start of the car...

I really hope that Acura is watching these forums and a fix is being developed. I'm not real hopeful based upon past software updates...

-Stan
Old 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, Agree. Same issues here. Sometimes the system won't see/open some music files on flash drive. I never had those problems on my rdx 17'. I really hope Acura will correct those issues ASAP.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
The USB audio integration was clunky at best with the 2018 too and the only good solution I found was to use an iPod instead of any other USB storage media. The iPod seems to eliminate the indexing and sorting overhead and I'm very happy with its functionality. If you have access to one, give it a try. It will accept Apple lossless format (ALAC) for original sound quality with about 50% file size reduction. I don't use iCloud (don't have any other Apple products in the house) so I copy lossless files directly to the iPod.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
The USB audio integration was clunky at best with the 2018 too and the only good solution I found was to use an iPod instead of any other USB storage media. The iPod seems to eliminate the indexing and sorting overhead and I'm very happy with its functionality. If you have access to one, give it a try. It will accept Apple lossless format (ALAC) for original sound quality with about 50% file size reduction. I don't use iCloud (don't have any other Apple products in the house) so I copy lossless files directly to the iPod.
yep that’s my plan. I have an iPod Touch that has like 30Gigs if songs on it. It’s more or less my music harddrive.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I have been using a 128GB USB thumb drive with no issues so far.. All my music is in separate folders based on Artist or Genre.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you use an ipod for music playback does that mean you cant use apple car play? (there are some nice old ipod 5th gens on ebay that have been retrofitted with SSDs)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010
If you use an ipod for music playback does that mean you cant use apple car play? (there are some nice old ipod 5th gens on ebay that have been retrofitted with SSDs)
you should be able to use one of the other USB ports for this. Hopefully someone can confirm.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
If you use an ipod for music playback does that mean you cant use apple car play? (there are some nice old ipod 5th gens on ebay...)
According to Wikipedia, “CarPlay...is available on all iPhone 5 and later models with at least iOS 7.1.” Apple’s website, at the Carplay screen, only lists iPhones (not iPods) as being compatible
[ [url]https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/ ]. I would have thought it would also work with the latest iPod, but have not looked into that any further—I’m not buying a new iPod just for the car.

Maybe CarPlay requires a device that has a cellular function built in?

I tried My old 2nd gen iPod Touch and it certainly was not recognized by Apple CarPlay, but the 2019 seemed to not even recognize it as a music source when it was plugged into the proper USB port. It worked fine as a player in my 2013 RDX, including cataloging the library. I need to try it again and investigate more fully.

Last edited by robuckj; 06-27-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Fury63

you should be able to use one of the other USB ports for this. Hopefully someone can confirm.
Originally Posted by robuckj

According to Wikipedia, “CarPlay...is available on all iPhone 5 and later models with at least iOS 7.1.” Apple’s website, at the Carplay screen, only lists iPhones (not iPods) as being compatible
[ [url]https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/ ]. I would have thought it would also work with the latest iPod, but have not looked into that any further—I’m not buying a new iPod just for the car.

Maybe CarPlay requires a device that has a cellular function built in?

I tried My old 2nd gen iPod Touch and it certainly was not recognized by Apple CarPlay, but the 2019 seemed to not even recognize it as a music source when it was plugged into the proper USB port. It worked fine as a player in my 2013 RDX, including cataloging the library. I need to try it again and investigate more fully.
carplay is NOT on iPods.
the only USB port that interacts with the infotainment system is the one in the center console.

what you could try is using the auxiliary (headphone) port with the iPod (won’t charge it) while using the usb to connect your phone for CarPlay. That should allow simultaneous music from the iPod while CarPlay from the phone. The other option someone needs to confirm is using the iPod for Maurice on the usb but CarPlay via a Bluetooth connection. Don’t know if that works simultaneously or not?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by shodge
2. The biggest problem is that the system completely resets with respect to the USB drive every time you start the car. The system will start playing the music it was playing when you turned off the car, then after 1-2 seconds, it stops and re-scans the HD and starts with the first piece of music it finds.

Problem #2 makes using a large HD or even a USB stick a real pain to use. Each time you re-start the car you will have to reset up your music. What makes it worse - the more songs and folder you have the longer it will take before you can use the drive....
After seeing this post I've tested this scenario 3 or 4 times and mine has never rescanned the device. Over 3GB of MP3 files - 1194 files in 66 folders. Here's a screen shot of part of the file structure - it might be that's a contributing factor in the difference. I also play in full random mode versus sequential which might also be a factor - haven't tested that.