Waze Not Showing up in Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Waze Not Showing up in Android Auto

Anyone have an updated fix? I have a Pixel 4XL. I used the workaround from another thread to get Waze to show up on AA on my 2020 RDX earlier this year. It involved enabling Developer settings in the AA app. Unfortunately the AA app has been updated and there is no longer the option of enabling Developer settings in the app. So the workaround in the other thread is no longer valid. Also unfortunately my phone had a battery issue and I had the battery replaced this week under warranty. A factory reset was done and now when I plug my phone into my car and startup AA, Waze is not there on the car screen.
However in the list of apps in the AA app on my phone,Waze is enabled and listed first. Every other app enabled in the AA app shows up on the screen in my RDX except Waze. Anybody got an updated workaround so I can get Waze to show up in Android Auto in my RDX, I hate using Google Maps. I may have to put a suction cup phone stand on the dash just to use Waze. Help!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Beefy_Doc
Anyone have an updated fix? I have a Pixel 4XL. I used the workaround from another thread to get Waze to show up on AA on my 2020 RDX earlier this year. It involved enabling Developer settings in the AA app. Unfortunately the AA app has been updated and there is no longer the option of enabling Developer settings in the app. So the workaround in the other thread is no longer valid. Also unfortunately my phone had a battery issue and I had the battery replaced this week under warranty. A factory reset was done and now when I plug my phone into my car and startup AA, Waze is not there on the car screen.
However in the list of apps in the AA app on my phone,Waze is enabled and listed first. Every other app enabled in the AA app shows up on the screen in my RDX except Waze. Anybody got an updated workaround so I can get Waze to show up in Android Auto in my RDX, I hate using Google Maps. I may have to put a suction cup phone stand on the dash just to use Waze. Help!!!!!!
While I don't have an answer for you, I used Waze 2 or 3 times after enabling it as you mentioned, but tell me this: Isn't it REAL hard to see the actual roads in Waze? I find it hard to see the roads in Google maps as well, (neither have enough contrast) but I set to satellite view, and that helps a bunch. The native Acura Nav still has the best rendering of the roads, but the rest of it functionality stinks. IMO
Old 11-15-2020, 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

I guess I am just used to Waze. I have been using it since before Google bought them in 2013. I really don't have a problem reading roads or understanding it on my phone or in my RDX (when I had it working). In fact, I find the purple contrast easier to read in Waze.
As an update, I did figure out how to enable developer options in the Android Auto app. To enable it, open the Android Auto app on your phone and choose About from the left menu. Tap the About Android Auto header text about 10 times and you'll see a prompt to enable "developer options". Accept it, then hit the three dot menu button and choose developer settings. In developer settings, you are supposed to check "force debug settings". I did this, cleared my RDX from listed autos in the AA app, cleared the data and cache from the app, rebooted the phone, made sure Waze was listed and checked as apps to bring up in AA, plugged it in to the USB port in the just started RDX and .........still no Waze in AA. Argghhhh!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

• Last followup. I got Waze working. I found the workaround on another site.
  • Once developer options are enabled as outlined in my last post, open up Android Auto, open settings, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner, from the drop down menu that pops up select "Developer Settings". Once in Developer Settings, click on "Application Mode". In Application Mode, fill in the "Developer" option.
  • After that, scroll down to the bottom of the Developer Settings and check both the "Force debug logging" and "Unknown sources" boxes, then make your way out of the settings.
  • Next go into the main Settings App on your android phone. Once in settings, go under "Apps and Notifications". Look up the Waze app and go under "Storage and Cache". Once there, clear the cache and clear the storage.
  • Next uninstall and reinstall Waze. Once reinstalled, sign in to your waze app.
  • Once I did all this, I started my RDX, plugged my phone in, Android Auto started up and low and behold........there was Waze on my dashboard screen.
  • Hope this helps someone else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beefy_Doc:
PT1209 (12-14-2020), vanessaem (03-05-2021)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So just a couple of things to add to your post. On my phone, tapping the About Android Auto header did not enable developer options. I had to go into the settings menu, scroll all the way to the bottom, and tap the "Version" entry 10 times. Also, you don't have to dig into your phone settings to access the Waze storage settings. You can just long press on Waze in the app drawer and select "App Info". It gets you to the same place, just a little bit faster
Old 11-26-2020, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wilee81
So just a couple of things to add to your post. On my phone, tapping the About Android Auto header did not enable developer options. I had to go into the settings menu, scroll all the way to the bottom, and tap the "Version" entry 10 times. Also, you don't have to dig into your phone settings to access the Waze storage settings. You can just long press on Waze in the app drawer and select "App Info". It gets you to the same place, just a little bit faster
That is a great word on long pressing the app in the app drawer as a shortcut. I had not thought of doing that. Let me ask you something else. I had already enabled developer options in my phone's settings. But in the actual Android Auto app I had to likewise enable developer settings inside that individual app. Were your developer options available within the Waze app without having to open that up by pressing 10 times on the "About" line? In my phone they were not. Even though developer options were enabled in the settings for my phone, they were not enabled in the Waze app until I long pressed 10 times on the "About" line. Just curious? You'd think that would be consistent along all Android phones.
The following users liked this post:
PT1209 (12-14-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

I honestly couldn't tell you since I never enabled developer options on my phone. Just in the AA app.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Ok so I just went and tested it myself. I plugged my phone in after enabling the specified developer options, opened AA on the infotainment, and.... black screen. Ok, restarted my phone. Black screen again. After some more fiddling I decided to go ahead and enable developer options on the phone itself to turn on USB Debugging. Rebooted one more time for good measure, then plugged in and... success! AA was once again working and Waze was showing up in the app drawer. Oh and this was on a Samsung S20.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Beefy, haven't been able to get Waze to work on my 2020 RDX since I got it in may until I read your post, went thru your instructions and bingo it works.. 👍
Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I'm hoping Waze will be included with the next OTA update, 1.4.3..... I wonder if those who already have this version # from the factory, will let us know if they do have Waze without this silly backdoor approach.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beefy_Doc
I guess I am just used to Waze. I have been using it since before Google bought them in 2013. I really don't have a problem reading roads or understanding it on my phone or in my RDX (when I had it working). In fact, I find the purple contrast easier to read in Waze.
As an update, I did figure out how to enable developer options in the Android Auto app. To enable it, open the Android Auto app on your phone and choose About from the left menu. Tap the About Android Auto header text about 10 times and you'll see a prompt to enable "developer options". Accept it, then hit the three dot menu button and choose developer settings. In developer settings, you are supposed to check "force debug settings". I did this, cleared my RDX from listed autos in the AA app, cleared the data and cache from the app, rebooted the phone, made sure Waze was listed and checked as apps to bring up in AA, plugged it in to the USB port in the just started RDX and .........still no Waze in AA. Argghhhh!!!
You have to check unknown sources and wireless AA in developer settings for Waze to show.