Navigation Voice Guidance has never worked...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation Navigation Voice Guidance has never worked...?

Hi everyone...
I am new to the Acura community after at least 2 decades of German cars. I did have a 1995 Integra GS-R many years ago. Loved that car. Now I'm back. Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2020 RDX SH-AWD w/ Tech.

I have an ongoing frustration with the navigation in this car. Not once have I been able to enable audible voice guidance in this car. Voice prompts don't work with the built-in navigation. They don't work with CarPlay using Apple Maps or Google Maps. I have never ever gotten an audible message telling me to turn somewhere.

I've combed through the settings over and over - and over - and cannot find anything indicating the prompts are turned off or turned 'down'. Voice prompts are maxed out where I see the option in the setup. Nothing is muted as far as I can tell. But still no prompting. This happens with or without my iphone in the car. In other words, it happens even if carplay is not connected in any way.

I haven't checked with the dealer yet as I haven't had time to go by there to ask. I'm hoping I can put this issue to rest with the help of this community. I did give searching the forums a college try, but all I could find were articles about older pre-True Touch Interface cars, and I didn't find anything specific to audio prompts not working. I'm the first to admit, however, I'm not the best at searching though.

Does anyone have this issue, have you solved it? Are you stumped by it as I am?
Thanks !
TheDatanator

Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
There is a separate volume setting for navigation, my guess is it's tuned down. Check Home/Settings/System/'System Volumes'/'Navigation Guidance' to see what it is set at. You can also adjust the navigation volume using the volume dial while the guidance is on, but if it's turn down, that would be a bit difficult.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
One of our biggest jokes was to say something to our BMWs voice system, and see how mangled it got.

This is better.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Racer

I took to question from op as voice prompts FROM the navigation systems (native and airplay), not voice recognition to GIVE commands to the navigation system.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Thanks, DrWoo... yes, I checked all volume setting at the system level as well as within the navigation system. Everything is turned up and I still cannot get this thing to give me voice audible guidance.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrWoo
I took to question from op as voice prompts FROM the navigation systems (native and airplay), not voice recognition to GIVE commands to the navigation system.
You are correct - The system remains silent and under no circumstances, have I been able to get this system to audibly prompt me for turn directions.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Racer

Do you get any sound out of the center speaker in the dash when playing music? All the nav sound comes from that one speaker. Just wondering if the problem might be that speaker.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Do you get any sound out of the center speaker in the dash when playing music? All the nav sound comes from that one speaker. Just wondering if the problem might be that speaker.
BINGO... this has to be the problem... I tried music from FM Radio, SiriusXM, my iphone. with the center speaker volume setting maxed out - not a sound coming from that center speaker. Assuming the nav voice prompts are coming through that speaker this is indeed the problem. Regardless, I have no sound from that speaker so there is an issue with it even if it isn't the nav problem. Thank you, Doc.

Once I talk to the service department, I'll update this thread.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Hey everyone - I have resolution on this problem.
I have the car in for B1 service today along with addressing the following concerns:
1) No sound / turn-by-turn direction audio from the onboard navigation system or through carplay.
2) Creaking sound from front end when going over speed breakers.

RESOLUTONS:
1) The shop concluded my turn-by-turn audio issues were due to the center dashboard speaker being UNPLUGGED. They couldn't explain it other than sloppy manufacturing. Solved. Dr. Woo, you nailed it!

2) The shop has concluded the front shocks are the cause of this sound. I am not sure about this given the TSB but I'm not going to argue the point - they are ordering the parts and we'll see if the problem is solved.

Thanks to all who chimed in when I was frustrated with this issue of the navigation audio.
///Datanator
The following users liked this post:
DrWoo (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:49 AM
Racer

Glad to help, but it was a shame you had to wait so long until you got the speaker issue fixed. I generally use Apple carplay, and I love how the navigation voice comes from a different location than the music, and that you can have different volume levels. It works flawlessly and I hardly ever use the touchpad between the voice recognition and the selector switch on the left side of the steering wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrWoo:
TheDatanator (06-22-2020), TheLevelOne (06-23-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to help, but it was a shame you had to wait so long until you got the speaker issue fixed. I generally use Apple carplay, and I love how the navigation voice comes from a different location than the music, and that you can have different volume levels. It works flawlessly and I hardly ever use the touchpad between the voice recognition and the selector switch on the left side of the steering wheel.
Kudos to those posters who respond when asked for help. Five dog droppings to the dealer prep or Acura Quality Control.
The following users liked this post:
TheDatanator (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
Kudos to those posters who respond when asked for help. Five dog droppings to the dealer prep or Acura Quality Control.
Thanks for the laugh this morning... you speak the truth.
What I can't understand is how anyone can miss something as significant as a component of the system being completely unplugged. It is what it is. I guess we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe the manufacturing teams are fighting a poorly designed process to make things as good as they are. Maybe the Acura mothership has the perfect car designed and manufacturing is sloppy. Probably a multitude of things, not the least of which is QC is clearly lacking.

Come to think of it I think I will add a few droppings to the pile so make it 7 droppings for the miss.

LOL

///Datanator