Navigation Never Reads the Destination

Old 11-12-2018, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Never Reads the Destination

I received my 2019 RDX a month ago and the voice recognition Navigation feature is extremely frustrating. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar problem or if I might be doing it wrong?

I hit the talk button on the left side of the steering wheel. Wait for the beep and say "Navigate to" followed by the exact address, including city, state and zip. I even have tried saying the street address numbers one-by-one ("Eight-Zero-Two-One" as opposed to "Eighty-Twenty one"). It takes a few second to process and and then always comes back saying "Destination not found". It does this 95% of the time with nearly all the addresses which makes me believe it has to be a user error caused by some idiot (me) as opposed to the navigation itself. I even try different variations of addresses, like using the smaller suburb as the city and, if that doesn't work, then trying to use the major metropolitan city. In the past week it has failed to find at least 10 addresses with the only successful one being when I said "Navigate to Great American Ballpark" just to see if it would find such a unique, well known place. It did work that time at least. Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have an iPhone just plug it in and use Waze. It is so much better as a navigation system. Easy to input addresses and avoids traffic backups and tells you where police are hiding.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bigxbomber11
I received my 2019 RDX a month ago and the voice recognition Navigation feature is extremely frustrating. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar problem or if I might be doing it wrong?

I hit the talk button on the left side of the steering wheel. Wait for the beep and say "Navigate to" followed by the exact address, including city, state and zip. I even have tried saying the street address numbers one-by-one ("Eight-Zero-Two-One" as opposed to "Eighty-Twenty one"). It takes a few second to process and and then always comes back saying "Destination not found". It does this 95% of the time with nearly all the addresses which makes me believe it has to be a user error caused by some idiot (me) as opposed to the navigation itself. I even try different variations of addresses, like using the smaller suburb as the city and, if that doesn't work, then trying to use the major metropolitan city. In the past week it has failed to find at least 10 addresses with the only successful one being when I said "Navigate to Great American Ballpark" just to see if it would find such a unique, well known place. It did work that time at least. Any suggestions?
I have used it successfully multiple times. I just start with street number (one by one) without saying "navigate to". Sometimes it shows similar sounding addresses but usually works well.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Mostly I have stopped using the 'In car' Voice navigation since I get the same response. One time it played a Paul Simon song from my USB, LOL.
Complained to the dealer but nothing worthwhile in response.
I use the Acura App, Map the destination and Send to Car.
Note, Send to Car must be done with car operating. After sending to car, you must find it in downloads, select it, then 'go back' twice......

As RDXguy mentions, other mapping tools work better but for simple trips the 'In Car' is fine.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Here is how I do it and it works okay.
- press "talk"
- say "navigation" and it will ask me where do I want to go.
- say the name of the place (it would take several seconds to show the results for you to pick).
Or, say the address of the place, which appears to have a faster response then search for the name of the place.
To cancel, just say "cancel" while it is still listening for voice input.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
The voice option for Navigation has always worked for us. We say "Go to" and read out each individual street number, then only the street name and city. A calm voice is important.
I do wish the system would show a map with the route it has selected. For long distance trips, there are two major highway options where we live and I prefer one highway over the other.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by B25Nut
The voice option for Navigation has always worked for us. We say "Go to" and read out each individual street number, then only the street name and city. A calm voice is important.
I do wish the system would show a map with the route it has selected. For long distance trips, there are two major highway options where we live and I prefer one highway over the other.
Using the Detour button will give you different route options.
The following users liked this post:
B25Nut (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 AM
Instructor

I am curious whether the failure in using the navigation is more to do with lack of mapping than the tool itself. Acura may not have provided complete mapping for Canada and some states.
Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I have not had issues with the Nav system finding destinations but mine does not recognize when I arrive. I notice every time I arrive at a destination, turn off the car and eventually come back, I am greeted with a message asking if I'd like to continue or cancel my directions.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It works ok for me but it doesn't seem to have quite a few legitimate addresses in the database with voice recognition. When it doesn't find an address I just navigate with my iPhone. If I can preplan the route and send the destinations to the car that is pretty reliable but time consuming.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
It doesn't work very well for me at all and no matter what address I enter via voice, touchpad or favorites, it always comes up with "Route Calculation Failed" on the first attempt... Every stinking time
Old 11-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have been using the navigation regularly and it works fine for most addresses. Although sometimes I have faced issue where no result was returned after processing. I noticed that most of the time no result was when I used partial name of the place.
Example for no result: "Navigate to Inchin's Bamboo"
Example with result: "Navigate to Inchin's Bamboo Garden Charlote".
This is my observation which worked for me so far. So thought of sharing here. But may not be feasible for someone not aware of the full details of the place.