My Infotainment System Freakout Moment

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Had this issue last night.

Car are totally off, infotainment still stuck on.

Followed the the video to hold down the 3 buttons and reset from the diganostic menu. Reset worked, but now all my radio icons are gone from my system. XM, FM, and AM. Very odd. Maybe the tuner croaked? Hard to say.

With this plus the squeaky brakes on a new $45K+ car with 1100 miles, I’d say it’s time for a trip to the dealer.

The little quirks irks I could put up with, but these issues are inexcusable.

Really disappointing first ecperience with the Acura brand.

Joe
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have squeaky brakes ( usually when it is damp out) - Kind of annoying.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFidge
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have squeaky brakes ( usually when it is damp out) - Kind of annoying.
There is a squeaky brake thread too.....
Old 11-30-2018, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xraytedjim
Thanks for the helpful info! I made a video demonstrating how to do this. Hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/f7uLCjHK-cU
2019 RDX Infotainment system reboot (How-To)
Thank you for the video. It was a big help. I had to go through the process twice in order for the infotainment system to completely reset.
The following users liked this post:
HuKaShI (12-21-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
weird issue with 1.0.7

2019 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD made in September 2018 and that I took home in October. I have a USB stick connected pretty mush the whole time and Bluetooth connected to the Samsung s8 phone from time to time. With 1.0.4, I have not experienced any infotainment issue and updated successfully to 1.0.7 around 12/15. Took the RDX for a 4-day 1,200 miles road trip the past weekend, driving from Los Angeles to Zion National Park, to Page, AZ, to Las Vegas and then back. I had the navigation on the main window and XM on the right side. When driving from Page AZ to Las Vegas in the morning, about 30 min into the trip, I used the thumb wheel to change the XM station on the favorites. It did not work for the first two tries, so I tried again and the screen started acting up and going from bright to dim (for the entire screen, not the night mode) randomly. With a message at the bottom saying something like "...change mode not available... I had my wife made a video, but I accidentally deleted it. Turing off the radio and unplugging the thumb drive did not change anything (the phone is not sync to the system at the time using Bluetooth). The XM radio was still working, but slow to respond to change volume and station. Sometimes, the touch pad was not responsive at all with no cursor on the screen. I then parked the car on the side of the street, turned off the engine for about 30 seconds, opened and then closed the door, then restarted the car and the issue was the same. At this time, the navigation was not working, with a message asking me to wait or to close it. I closed it and in a few minutes, it would show the map with the current location. I continued to drive like this for another 30 minutes and saw a new message on the screen "unfortunately, Android Keyboard (AOSP) has stopped" with option to click "Ok". Found a place to park and repeated the steps again and the issue was the same. I also noticed that after entering the card and closed the door, the car did not show the initial greeting screen on the dash and did not make the sound. I continued to trip like this for another 30 minutes and parked for coffee break (about 20 min). This time, the system booted correctly and the issue was gone and has not occurred.

So, the lesson learned here is that when rebooting, turn off the car for 20 minutes for the system to completely shut off and then restart it.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
^ I guess the lesson learned here is that Acura still has a lot of bugs to address...
Havasubum (01-07-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 03:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Thanks for the helpful info! I made a video demonstrating how to do this. Hope it helps!

Interesting that the system has software to support a CD player and a BluRay player.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for this video. My 3 week old RDX had its first "freakout" on New Year's Eve. I was in valet line and realized info screen would not shut off after it froze. I was not in a position to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery. I did a quick search and found the video. It saved the day.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the lockup again yesterday. I think it is related to the remote start. I also think I may have found another way to get out of the lockup (besides the nice video above).
The reason I think it has something to do with the remote start is:
2 times now - both where I get into the car while still running from the remote start.
You'll notice that the car in this mode keeps the infotainment console off.
Getting in and pressing the Start button when it is already running is a different kind of special wake-up transition without an engine start.
I think there is something buggy that is timing related to the wake-up process.

Anyway, here's the order of activity as best as I can recall:
  1. Remote start car with Acuralink
  2. Get in car and quickly press the Start dashboard button (with brake applied)
  3. Put in drive quickly
  4. Infotainment never displays
  5. Stop car
  6. Open and close driver door
  7. Start car
  8. Infotainment still doesn't start
  9. Stop car
So that got me into the locked out black screen. Then I tried this and it worked...
  1. While sitting in the car, open the Acuralink app (on Android for me)
  2. Select the Stop button in the Engine section
  3. Enter passcode
  4. It thought about it for several seconds and indicated that the car was now stopped (it already was)
  5. I started the car using the Start button on the car's dash.
  6. Infotainment started up normally
Curious to find out if this was a fluke for me or if others can reproduce this.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I came home today after having my display freeze again on the Disclaimer Screen realizing that yes this has happened three times now ... twice after doing the mid December update ... every time it was when I started the car with the remote. The car goes into "Precondition inside the vehicle" mode ... it makes adjustments to the fan .. temp .. heated seats ... based on the outside temp. Like above mentioned above, the screen and some of the dashed is blacked out when you enter the car after remote start (with the AcuraLink APP). When you press the start button with the brake pressed it come out of this condition ... except the three times when the radio starts up and freezes at the disclaimer screen. It won't go off even when I turn off the car. I pull the fuse out and then put back in. This turns off the screen but it doesn't go on when I start it again. It will ask me to restart the system only if I let the car sit for a few hours. Then it works. Not sure what is up with that. Doesn't seem to make any sense why It doesn't ask to restart when I reinsert the fuse. This APP is so bad and the problem is coming out of that remote preconditioned sleep mode.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Wow. I have never seen this issue when using the app to start my A-Spec.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

purchase time problem related???

To Jkminer

when did you buy your RDX. mine was mid June ...
Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jtatore
I came home today after having my display freeze again on the Disclaimer Screen realizing that yes this has happened three times now ... twice after doing the mid December update ... every time it was when I started the car with the remote. The car goes into "Precondition inside the vehicle" mode ... it makes adjustments to the fan .. temp .. heated seats ... based on the outside temp. Like above mentioned above, the screen and some of the dashed is blacked out when you enter the car after remote start (with the AcuraLink APP). When you press the start button with the brake pressed it come out of this condition ... except the three times when the radio starts up and freezes at the disclaimer screen. It won't go off even when I turn off the car. I pull the fuse out and then put back in. This turns off the screen but it doesn't go on when I start it again. It will ask me to restart the system only if I let the car sit for a few hours. Then it works. Not sure what is up with that. Doesn't seem to make any sense why It doesn't ask to restart when I reinsert the fuse. This APP is so bad and the problem is coming out of that remote preconditioned sleep mode.
Which fuse did you pull?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
To Jkminer

I purchased my RDX on 05 Nov 2018.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Cruisin'

Fuse box near the floor pedals. First row from the left ... third one down. It's the only 15 A which is blue in that row. The fuse puller is under the cover for the fuse box in the engine compartment ... far right area of engine compartment when you are facing the car. I'm bringing my car in on Friday.
Boltface (01-11-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
The dealer can't do anything to fix this problem, which is apparently a software bug for which no fix has been distributed. It's not even clear that Acura engineers know how to fix it. It's not easily reproducible, and while several of us have noticed a correlation between remote starting. plugging a phone into the USB port, and the system freezing at the disclaimer screen, these are not directly related processes. That points to some sort of timing related memory management problem or race condition. Devilishly hard to debug.

This only happened to me once, but since the result was a dead battery I've been worried ever since. Now after I use the remote start I start the car and wait for everything to settle down before plugging in the phone. It hasn't happened since. Does that work around the bug, or have I just been lucky? Can't say.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
The dealer can't do anything to fix this problem, which is apparently a software bug for which no fix has been distributed. It's not even clear that Acura engineers know how to fix it. It's not easily reproducible, and while several of us have noticed a correlation between remote starting. plugging a phone into the USB port, and the system freezing at the disclaimer screen, these are not directly related processes. That points to some sort of timing related memory management problem or race condition. Devilishly hard to debug.

This only happened to me once, but since the result was a dead battery I've been worried ever since. Now after I use the remote start I start the car and wait for everything to settle down before plugging in the phone. It hasn't happened since. Does that work around the bug, or have I just been lucky? Can't say.
It's absolutely unacceptable that owners have to resort to "work arounds". We shouldn't have to tip toe around using the car. I had to disable the "kicking" motion for the tailgate because it kept closing on me while I loaded items in the back.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Keep the complaints up and don't let Acura brush this under the rug. This is becoming a bit reminiscent of the Bluetooth HandsfreeLink issue that drained your battery and left you stranded. You definitely have to keep complaining. It's insane to hear a consumer say stop complaining and just be patient, Acura will let you know when they have a fix. Acura never fixed that issue and it's been over a decade. The more bad PR they get from releasing this turd of an infotainment system the more likely they are to fix it quickly. They are getting sued to provide owners some type of compensation from the bluetooth issue. Maybe this needs to happen now or else you'll never get the fix like the HandsfreeLink issue. People just removed their bluetooth modules and Acura didn't fix anything. Simply rebooting the system or pulling a fuse is not going to put the kind of pressure Acura needs to fix this. Being patient and sitting quietly also won't. If they get enough people pursuing lemon law refunds because Acura can't create a car that won't run down your battery and leave you stranded, I guarantee the engineers with figure it out quickly when Acura is buying back $50k cars because the radio won't shut off. Suggesting people should just trade in their cars and take a loss because Acura sold them a defective car is insane. Why should a consumer pay for Acura's incompetence and greed? Give them the 3 repair attempts or whatever your State requires to 'fix' the problem and try to get a new RDX if you still love it. Maybe you will get one of the unicorns that has no problems?

Acura does a lot of things right but fixing problems after releasing a product to the public is definitely not one of them. Once they have sold you something, even if its under warranty, you are generally on your own unless you are persistent and basically find the solution on your own or they come up with a TSB that you find on your own since the service advisor won't try to find it.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/honda-...reelink-defect
elpoopytray (09-28-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by skarface
Keep the complaints up and don't let Acura brush this under the rug. This is becoming a bit reminiscent of the Bluetooth HandsfreeLink issue that drained your battery and left you stranded. You definitely have to keep complaining. It's insane to hear a consumer say stop complaining and just be patient, Acura will let you know when they have a fix. Acura never fixed that issue and it's been over a decade. The more bad PR they get from releasing this turd of an infotainment system the more likely they are to fix it quickly. They are getting sued to provide owners some type of compensation from the bluetooth issue. Maybe this needs to happen now or else you'll never get the fix like the HandsfreeLink issue. People just removed their bluetooth modules and Acura didn't fix anything. Simply rebooting the system or pulling a fuse is not going to put the kind of pressure Acura needs to fix this. Being patient and sitting quietly also won't. If they get enough people pursuing lemon law refunds because Acura can't create a car that won't run down your battery and leave you stranded, I guarantee the engineers with figure it out quickly when Acura is buying back $50k cars because the radio won't shut off. Suggesting people should just trade in their cars and take a loss because Acura sold them a defective car is insane. Why should a consumer pay for Acura's incompetence and greed? Give them the 3 repair attempts or whatever your State requires to 'fix' the problem and try to get a new RDX if you still love it. Maybe you will get one of the unicorns that has no problems?

Acura does a lot of things right but fixing problems after releasing a product to the public is definitely not one of them. Once they have sold you something, even if its under warranty, you are generally on your own unless you are persistent and basically find the solution on your own or they come up with a TSB that you find on your own since the service advisor won't try to find it.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/honda-...reelink-defect
Unfortunately I have been preaching the same thing and have gotten chastised for it. I truly believe there are either Acura employees or paid trolls that try to deflect your manner of criticism. On top of what you said, trying to complain to Client Relations is an exercise in futility. I had a 2008 CRV that had defective electric door locks. I paid $700 to have them fixed. 1 year later I received a letter saying they would reimburse me. However, this was only because they got sued and lost. Same thing with the mid 2000's CRV's with AC compressors that grenaded sending fine metal particles through the entire system. The entire AC system had to be replaced only after they were sued.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
One thing I found out about these in-car complex systems from my BMW was to treat the car like an old windows computer and let it boot up completely before you ask it for anything. Somewhere along the line, Microsoft had heard enough complaints about people waiting for it to boot, and started letting users do stuff while still booting. Everything still slowed down until the boot was done.

In my BMW, it took a while for it to boot. In this car, it does boot faster, but I don’t do anything until that welcome screen goes away. And I don’t start to launch stuff until I see my phone connect, and anything that was left on gets underway.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To Jkminer

Mid September. Not sure when it was built.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

All three times with my display freezing involved going into reverse. I can't recall if the screen froze before or after putting into reverse. Most of the time cars are starting off in reverse so it could just be the odds .
Old 01-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Going into reverse involves the back up camera. When my screen does freeze I can can use the back up camera. It does come on. But only in one view. The option for multiple views says it's loading but never does.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Man... this sounds bad.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jkminer
Mid September. Not sure when it was built.
Look in the door and the plate will tell you the month and year of manufacture
Old 01-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the video. I used it today as my Infotainment froze and wouldn't turn off.
However, I noticed I have less icons on the home screen and now the sound isn't working.
I had to get back to work so I'm hoping the sound issue will fix itself.
Has anyone else had an issue with the sound not working at all? Either using Apple CarPlay or just the actual sound the Acura menu makes?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvaB
Thank you for the video. I used it today as my Infotainment froze and wouldn't turn off.
However, I noticed I have less icons on the home screen and now the sound isn't working.
I had to get back to work so I'm hoping the sound issue will fix itself.
Has anyone else had an issue with the sound not working at all? Either using Apple CarPlay or just the actual sound the Acura menu makes?
I had the same issue. Do the reset again. It fixed the missing icons issue for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by jds44:
EvaB (01-30-2019), jonarogers (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jds44
I had the same issue. Do the reset again. It fixed the missing icons issue for me.
That worked! Thank you so much! I thought I broke something.
Anyone else a bit frustrated with the Infotainment issues? I know I am.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EvaB
That worked! Thank you so much! I thought I broke something.
Anyone else a bit frustrated with the Infotainment issues? I know I am.
Yes.. I have reached my breaking point
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM
10th Gear

Driving into work today (2019 RDX) my infotainment quit working exactly like everyone is describing. Using AppleCarPlay to stream radio, heard the loud popping "beep" then lost all audio and got the "check tuner", etc. messages. Display wouldn't turn off after stopping car and exiting vehicle. Ended up turning off display from the settings menu not to drain battery. Just tried xraytedjim's reboot, which got AppleCarPlay to connect. Still no audio and none of the other music/radio icons are showing on home screen. When I get a chance I'll go back out and try another reboot...hopefully that will get the other audio settings to show and get the sound working.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TroyusMaximus
Driving into work today (2019 RDX) my infotainment quit working exactly like everyone is describing. Using AppleCarPlay to stream radio, heard the loud popping "beep" then lost all audio and got the "check tuner", etc. messages. Display wouldn't turn off after stopping car and exiting vehicle. Ended up turning off display from the settings menu not to drain battery. Just tried xraytedjim's reboot, which got AppleCarPlay to connect. Still no audio and none of the other music/radio icons are showing on home screen. When I get a chance I'll go back out and try another reboot...hopefully that will get the other audio settings to show and get the sound working.
Make sure when these crazy things happen if possible take pictures and video as your dealer needs to see proof...
TroyusMaximus (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TroyusMaximus

UPDATE! Did the second reboot and everything is working perfect...even had my favorites saved. I did have to reorder the "apps" that show on the dashboard. Hopefully Acura will quickly resolve this with a new software update.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meto
Make sure when these crazy things happen if possible take pictures and video as your dealer needs to see proof...
I videoed my rear hatch opening and closing inappropriately. I posted the video on a related thread. The district representative for AHC accused me of "manufacturing" a fake video. AHC is not interested in fixing intermittent problems.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Angry It was my dream to own an Acura but now it's my Nightmare :(

This past Friday and Saturday have been the worst for me as far as the Tech and the Acura RDX are concerned.
On Friday I had Apple CarPlay activated with Waze and Apple Music. Like everyone else I heard a beep and then nothing. The music stopped the GPS turned off and the Infotainment screen went black.
Typically everything will disconnect and reconnect automatically. This time, not so much. The display finally re-appeared to the home screen but kept showing the "Disable Apple CarPlay message as it stopped working."
Since I was driving somewhere that I didn't know how to get to I tried to use the Acura Navigation but this would not work. I then tried to see if anything would work Radio / Bluetooth / etc. Nothing.
While I was driving, I was able to look at my phone to continue my journey, but obviously having a completely dead screen was not very helpful.
When I finally got to where I was going the radio stayed on. I had to do the workaround with pushing the three buttons to get it to turn off.

I really think that this is more major than Acura wants to let on.

The Service Dept did tell me that they are going to fix the issue where the Infotainment stays on when exiting the vehicle but made no mention of when that fix would be available.

At the end of the day I need reliability. If my battery is going to die due to the Infotainment staying on, or while driving the vehicle all electronics shut off (I created a separate post about this) they are huge safety concerns.
I may toy with the notion to see how much money I can get for my RDX. As I'm at my wits end.

It was my dream to own an Acura but now it's my Nightmare.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It had been my desire to buy a 19 RDX Platinum Elite by now. Have been waiting patiently for solutions to the different issues I read about on this forum. Between answers slow to come by and the casual, arrogance attitude of Honda towards their customers, I’m nearing the tipping point of choosing a different car/maker. Back in 2010 when I bought a Caddy SRX, I had a number of issues with the car but I found for the most part, Cadillac was good to work with. During the first year of ownership, the motor was totalled and the service I received was first class. I like the looks of the car, inside and out. I enjoyed test driving the vehicle. So disappointing these problems keep popping up.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I had to do the three-fingered reboot a couple days ago. It needed to be done twice to get everything fixed. Same thing, WAZE and Amazon Prime music.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gee-vee
It had been my desire to buy a 19 RDX Platinum Elite by now. Have been waiting patiently for solutions to the different issues I read about on this forum. Between answers slow to come by and the casual, arrogance attitude of Honda towards their customers, I’m nearing the tipping point of choosing a different car/maker. Back in 2010 when I bought a Caddy SRX, I had a number of issues with the car but I found for the most part, Cadillac was good to work with. During the first year of ownership, the motor was totalled and the service I received was first class. I like the looks of the car, inside and out. I enjoyed test driving the vehicle. So disappointing these problems keep popping up.

I have owned an RDX advance since June 2018. I have taken this car into the dealership 5 times. They cannot fix any issues if have. The long heralded software fix solved 1 problem and created several new ones. Now AHC says there is a new fix coming. However, they cannot give me a date or tell what it is designed to fix. Meanwhile, I am driving a defective car. AHC (American Honda Corp) flat out stinks. They provide horrible service, and if you press them, they become adversarial. I love the way the car drives, but I will never do business with AHC again. If I could buy another car, without taking a financial bath, I certainly would. I suggest not buying an RDX or any AHC car.

Last edited by Havasubum; 02-11-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Havasubum
I have owned an RDX advance since June 2018. I have taken this car into the dealership 5 times. They cannot fix any issues if have. The long heralded software fix solved 1 problem and created several new ones. Now AHC says there is a new fix coming. However, they cannot give me a date or tell what it is designed to fix. Meanwhile, I am driving a defective car. AHC (American Honda Corp) flat out stinks. They provide horrible service, and if you press them, they become adversarial. I love the way the car drives, but I will never do business with AHC again. If I could buy another car, without taking a financial bath, I certainly would. I suggest not buying an RDX or any AHC car.
I have no problems with my entertainment system pretty never acts up, sucks that you have issues
securityguy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
How do you guys figure that some are having these issues (which are clearly real and not made up), while others have no issues at all. Why might that be? Where's the disconnect?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine either. I don't use an iPhone, however, just a lowly Android: Samsung S8. I could be wrong but it seems that most of the posts I have read with infotainment issues are using iPhones???

Additionally, I have only been listening to SiriusXM.

Trying to add data points.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-11-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I have had my loaded RDX Advance since September 4th and not once has my infotainment system acted up or did anything it was not supposed to. @Sounds I agree that it does appear strange but it can also be a large combination of issues creating the malfunction that some of us just have yet to run across.

Quick Reply: My Infotainment System Freakout Moment