Missing Navigation Functions Compared to 2016

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Missing Navigation Functions Compared to 2016

Seriously thinking of trading in my 2016 RDX for 2019 RDX. Local dealer does not have any for me to check out but I’m concerned that based on what I’ve read, some of the navigation features I have in my 2016 might not be available with the 2019. Does anyone know if any of these 2016 features are available on the 2019?
1. When entering route, my 2016 gives me 3 routes to choose from.
2. While driving, I can easily change the scale depending if I want to see details or long range.
3. I can store friends/family addresses in the address book.

If not, as much as I like everything I’ve read about 2019 RDX, I’m wondering if I should just keep what I have or shop for a different make. Not sure if this would be a deal-breaker or not. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Re Nr. 2: After 2500 miles of driving, I have found no way at all to adjust the zoom of the navigation display. I hate that it stays on ¼ mile scale, useless for long distances. I quickly abandoned the built-in system and started using Apple Maps via CarPlay as my primary nav system. So, I am not able to address your question Nrs. 1 or 3.
The following 2 users liked this post by robuckj:
burn1010 (07-19-2018), ShouldIBuyNew (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj
Re Nr. 2: After 2500 miles of driving, I have found no way at all to adjust the zoom of the navigation display. I hate that it stays on ¼ mile scale, useless for long distances. I quickly abandoned the built-in system and started using Apple Maps via CarPlay as my primary nav system. So, I am not able to address your question Nrs. 1 or 3.
Whats your opinion on how Maps works via CarPlay?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj
Does the Apple Maps give directions in the HUD?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010
Does the Apple Maps give directions in the HUD?
No. CarPlay will display song titles but, no directions in the HUD.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Fury63

Surprisingly, I actually like it. Displays entire route when I start, then as I travel the map zooms in automatically so both the car and the destination are displayed. Closer to the destination, it zooms itself in to display any upcoming turns—just what I want & need for a nav system to be useful. It gives a continuous display of the ETA, the travel time remaining, and the distance remaining. It also displays speed limit info, not always but most of the time. It is much easier to enter a destination and set a route than Acura’s system; maybe Acura’s would get easier with training and use, but I’ve given up on its unintuitive user interface. Come September, Apple is supposed to unlock iOS so Car Play can use navigation apps other than Apple Maps. I’ve been looking forward to using Google’s “Waze” app again, mainly for the crowd-sourced info that gives it an advantage. However, its automatic zoom tends to stay closer to the vehicle—maybe a mile or two, not sure. You can pinch out to zoom out, but it requires a lot of pinches to display an overview of the route, and it will quickly zoom itself back in. I’d also like to see how Google Map in Car Play acts, and whether it will adopt any features from Waze.
The following users liked this post:
Fury63 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
At first I hated the fact that I could not set a distance as a default and I missed the dial in my 17 RDX (and every other Acura I've ever owned) that let me zoom in and out on the Nav. Then I started leaving the 3D map up, and I noticed that I liked that view a lot better. It also zooms on its own when I get into a dense population area, it will go from 1/4 mile to 3/8 mile automatically.

I too will be very interested to try Waze when they get that part of the Apple Play working, but until them I am fairly happy with the 3D map.
billyt1963 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My navigation was set to 3D out of the box and I thought it worked very well. I did voice commands to my home from the dealer and loved the directions in HUD. I've always been a Google Maps/Waze guy but I did use Siri to look up the address then map directions to my Infiniti dealer so I could drop off my lease. The CarPlay integration is pretty sweet. I will probably use both Acura and CarPlay nav apps for awhile.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I have used the Acura nav on 3 occasions so far, and I note the lack of route selection and the zoom, but I must say despite these issues, I’m really impressed with how it functions. The voice recognition works very well, and between the excellent voice prompts and the HUD info, I really didn’t even have to look at the main nav screen. And a press of the touch pad brings up the next several turns if you want to look ahead. I really like the send to car feature on the AcuraLink app, which appears to use Apple maps on my iPhone. I have not really played with Apple carplay nav yet, but the lack of HUD support is a real negative with carplay.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Apparently support for Waze and Google maps in Apple Carplay will happen in the fall, so that'll eliminate your need for the factor nav. What's just sad is that the new CRV has a phenomenal Garmin based navi system.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdpgps
Apparently support for Waze and Google maps in Apple Carplay will happen in the fall, so that'll eliminate your need for the factor nav. What's just sad is that the new CRV has a phenomenal Garmin based navi system.
+1.

Interesting to see how the Waze app will do in Carplay once iOS 12 comes out. Concur that Garmin based navi system on the CR-V is great.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Seriously thinking of trading in my 2016 RDX for 2019 RDX. Local dealer does not have any for me to check out but I’m concerned that based on what I’ve read, some of the navigation features I have in my 2016 might not be available with the 2019. Does anyone know if any of these 2016 features are available on the 2019?
1. When entering route, my 2016 gives me 3 routes to choose from.
2. While driving, I can easily change the scale depending if I want to see details or long range.
3. I can store friends/family addresses in the address book.

If not, as much as I like everything I’ve read about 2019 RDX, I’m wondering if I should just keep what I have or shop for a different make. Not sure if this would be a deal-breaker or not. Thanks
Considering how great everything else on this car is (Rated #1 Luxury Compact SUV by US News https://cars.usnews.com/cars-t…/rankings/luxury-compact-suvs ) AND all it takes is a software update to correct the Infotainment problems, this is still the car to get. It's only been out for a few months. I've had mine for a week shy of two months and so far it is the best car I have every owned, probably any car I have driven for daily use. Get the RDX.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Fury63

I actually like Maps in Carplay almost as much as the Acura Navigation. It integrates really well with your phones contacts. The one thing that prevents me from using it is... It does NOT integrate with the HUD.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DrWoo
I have used the Acura nav on 3 occasions so far, and I note the lack of route selection and the zoom, but I must say despite these issues, I’m really impressed with how it functions. The voice recognition works very well, and between the excellent voice prompts and the HUD info, I really didn’t even have to look at the main nav screen. And a press of the touch pad brings up the next several turns if you want to look ahead. I really like the send to car feature on the AcuraLink app, which appears to use Apple maps on my iPhone. I have not really played with Apple carplay nav yet, but the lack of HUD support is a real negative with carplay.
There is a Zoom, but it only appears to be available in "Explore" mode at this time. When you select the "Explore" option in the middle of the map, a bunch of new options become available. Of those, Zoom + and Minus links appear on the right side of the screen. Then you can zoom in and out and search for various points of interest. However, when you go back to the normal map, it goes back to the standard zoom. Software update will take care of this in the future.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhanseng
Considering how great everything else on this car is (Rated #1 Luxury Compact SUV by US News https://cars.usnews.com/cars-t…/rankings/luxury-compact-suvs ) AND all it takes is a software update to correct the Infotainment problems, this is still the car to get. It's only been out for a few months. I've had mine for a week shy of two months and so far it is the best car I have every owned, probably any car I have driven for daily use. Get the RDX.
Thanks, Jim. My local dealer finally got an RDX for me to test drive. I did that yesterday and loved it. So, if we can agree on price and trade-in value I will go for it. But it will have to be ordered to get the trim/color I want. If we can’t agree, there is no other vehicle that I would want at this time so would keep my 2016 RDX since I still love it and there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Thanks, Jim. My local dealer finally got an RDX for me to test drive. I did that yesterday and loved it. So, if we can agree on price and trade-in value I will go for it. But it will have to be ordered to get the trim/color I want. If we can’t agree, there is no other vehicle that I would want at this time so would keep my 2016 RDX since I still love it and there is nothing wrong with it.
There is no comparison to your current RDX and the new RDX. Yes your current RDX is a great car and one of the best selling, but the new RDX is a whole new animal. You will love it. I was going to wait as my 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advanced was less than two years old and only 8,500 miles, but after driving this car I had to have it.
ShouldIBuyNew (08-16-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the 2019 RDX navigation system will not do two things that are a total deal breaker for me. First, you cannot give any address a name So with thirty addresses stored I have to remember which is the doctor, which is the dentist, which is the Acura dealer. etc. That's unacceptable. Secondly, you cannot store your current location and give it a name. For instance if I'm driving through the woods and stumble across some neat lake I can't store that location and name it "Hidden lake".

My $150 Garmin-on -a- suction-cup will do both these things. GRRRR.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy
Unfortunately the 2019 RDX navigation system will not do two things that are a total deal breaker for me. First, you cannot give any address a name So with thirty addresses stored I have to remember which is the doctor, which is the dentist, which is the Acura dealer. etc. That's unacceptable. Secondly, you cannot store your current location and give it a name. For instance if I'm driving through the woods and stumble across some neat lake I can't store that location and name it "Hidden lake".

My $150 Garmin-on -a- suction-cup will do both these things. GRRRR.
On your first point, the nav does save names for commercial establishments, and the system does seem to have everything i’ve looked for. It’s just residential addresses that you can’t name.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
People either adapt to the known limitations and accept the car, or choose not to accept the car because of the known limitations. Both decisions are thoroughly understandable.

What I would have a problem with is someone for whom this is a make or break issue, and buys the car without having identified this situation, and comes whining here about it.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

What I would have a problem with is someone for whom this is a make or break issue, and buys the car without having identified this situation, and comes whining here about it.
So would I.
I buy a new car about every ten-twelve years and do my homework before I do.

At the moment, this issue with the nav system is the only thing holding me back from ordering a new RDX Advanced with SH-AWD. I'm going to have to check out the Volvo XC-60 and the new Lincoln Nautilus and see where they stand on this issue and then make a decision.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhanseng
There is a Zoom, but it only appears to be available in "Explore" mode at this time. When you select the "Explore" option in the middle of the map, a bunch of new options become available. Of those, Zoom + and Minus links appear on the right side of the screen. Then you can zoom in and out and search for various points of interest...
I was playing with this a bit this morning and found if you zoom out (in 'explore' mode) after setting a route the route will show on the 'zoomed' explore screen and your progress along the route will show. I didn't notice if turn-by-turn directions were still on the screen or not but they were on the HUD. I only did this with '3D' view so can't comment on what it does in the other 2 views.

Not as convenient as having an unlimited, controllable zoom function in the route view but better than nothing at all.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I was playing with this a bit this morning and found if you zoom out (in 'explore' mode) after setting a route the route will show on the 'zoomed' explore screen and your progress along the route will show. I didn't notice if turn-by-turn directions were still on the screen or not but they were on the HUD. I only did this with '3D' view so can't comment on what it does in the other 2 views.

Not as convenient as having an unlimited, controllable zoom function in the route view but better than nothing at all.
Good to know. I'll have to try it. Not sure if it is the safest way to get zoom.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX

I played a bit more and found out the following:

1 - This appears to 'work' in all 3 display modes 'travel up', 'north up', and '3D'.
2 - You can continue to zoom in and out at will - I went as low as 500 feet in both '3D' and 'travel up' modes.
3 - Screen orientation will not change as you are making turns as it does in '3D' and 'travel direction up' mode. Whatever orientation is being displayed at the time of switching to 'explore' mode is where it stays. If you exit 'explore' mode and then go back in the new orientation is what shows.
4 - 'Next turn' directions do not display on the Infotainment screen but do show in both the MID (if you're on that screen) and HUD (if enabled).
Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
OK, I'm a bit confused. When you say the route will show, and your progress will show, does this mean that the display will automatically remain centered on the current vehicle position? Or do you have to center it manually as the position changes?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
OK, I'm a bit confused. When you say the route will show, and your progress will show, does this mean that the display will automatically remain centered on the current vehicle position? Or do you have to center it manually as the position changes?
- The route will show as the normal blue line.
- Your progress will show with the normal indicator showing the current vehicle position.
- As vehicle proceeds along the route the indicator moves and the blue line behind the vehicle goes away. (I did not try deviating from the route so I don't know what happens then.)
- Screen does not remain centered on the vehicle position. It stays centered at the point where it was when switched to 'explore' mode - but can be moved by swiping.
- You can zoom in/out as desired using the '+'/'-' icons.
- If zooming in it's possible to have the route and vehicle position go off the screen entirely if you've previously changed the centering by swiping or if the vehicle has moved significantly since going into 'explore' mode.
- If you hit the 'back' icon or button while in 'explore' mode the normal navigation display returns with the screen centered on the vehicle position.

That's about as much as I played with it.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 08-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.