Intermittent Android Voice Recognition

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intermittent Android Voice Recognition

My wife has a new Samsung Galaxy J3 V which intermittently won't work with the voice recognition. Attached it the error message she gets. Sometimes it works ok, and sometimes it doesn't. If you shut off the car and restart it, it usually will start to work, but not always. The left little wheel on the steering wheel will always work to make or answer calls, but the voice recognition only works intermittently. We have tried un-pairing and re-paring the phone multiple times with no success. Has anyone else run into this intermittent voice recognition problem or been able to find a fix?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Perhaps this will help. A short push of the vice button will access the RDX's voice controls and allow you to make a call (and other things). A long push tries to access the phone directly. I have a Samsung S8, and have seen that message when I pushed the button too long. Once we get Android Auto, I believe this behavior will change to where a long press will access Android Auto.

Hope this helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
subin (03-28-2019), tochs (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Perhaps this will help. A short push of the vice button will access the RDX's voice controls and allow you to make a call (and other things). A long push tries to access the phone directly. I have a Samsung S8, and have seen that message when I pushed the button too long. Once we get Android Auto, I believe this behavior will change to where a long press will access Android Auto.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think that's the problem.. In fact sometimes that message pops up when you start the car before you even push the the voice button. I will try the long push and see if I can duplicate the error message. I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. We worked with Acura phone support almost an hour and they couldn't figure it out. He had us un-paired the phone and repaired it, and it worked. Turned off the car and restarted it and the error appeared again. That's when he gave up and suggested going back to the dealer.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ

Hope this helps!
JB you may be right! When my wife came home today I tried it and sure enough if I held the talk button a little too long, it brought up that error message. if I just tapped the button it worked. That also explains why it was intermittent. When I looked in the owners manual on page 306 it says to press and hold the talk button to activate Siri. Since this is an android, that error message makes sense since the RDX doesn't yet have Android Auto (if it ever will). This has been driving my wife nuts. Thank you so much for your suggestion. My only complaint now is why the Acura technician didn't figure that out when we were on the phone with him for almost an hour.
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by tochs
JB you may be right! When my wife came home today I tried it and sure enough if I held the talk button a little too long, it brought up that error message. if I just tapped the button it worked. That also explains why it was intermittent. When I looked in the owners manual on page 306 it says to press and hold the talk button to activate Siri. Since this is an android, that error message makes sense since the RDX doesn't yet have Android Auto (if it ever will). This has been driving my wife nuts. Thank you so much for your suggestion. My only complaint now is why the Acura technician didn't figure that out when we were on the phone with him for almost an hour.
Glad I was able to help!
The following users liked this post:
SandwichViking (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep, no Android Auto yet. There is Acura Launcher and Android Auto in the listed head unit apps, so hopefully it is coming soon.