How is Android Phone Functionality (without Android Auto)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is Android Phone Functionality (without Android Auto)?

I'm very seriously considering the purchase of a 2019 RDX Advance. One of the downsides of the specs for me is the lack of Android Auto (sorry, I'm not changing to Apple). I'm not counting on it arriving anytime soon, if at all, or working well so I'm wondering how well the my Android phones (currently Moto X4 on Fi) will integrate with the infotainment system.

Can current Android/2019 RDX owners can give me an idea of what functionality I will have and what I might like and not like?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
What kind of functionality are you looking for? I can make and receive calls with no problems via blue tooth which is all I use the phone for in the car. Web surfing, texting, emailing, music, watching videos, looking at pictures, playing games, etc., etc., etc. using the phone are all things better done while not driving.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to be able to receive and send texts via voice. Like this.....

You can navigate, but you can't read text messages. Instead, Android Auto will dictate everything to you. ... For instance, if you want to send a text message, you'll have to dictate it out loud. When you receive a reply, Android Auto will in turn read it to you.
Most of my communication by "phone" these days is text instead of voice.

Are there proprietary apps on the Acura infotainment system that provide this or other functionality that I will be missing with Android Auto?

Last edited by mmhouse; 09-10-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Sorry, can't help you with that. Something I have no need for, or interest in, so I never looked into it.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Android Auto is now in training phase with the dealers according to my dealership after picking up my vehicle today. Right now I can receive and respond to texts on my Android phone.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much better than it was!

I've usually had Nexus or Pixel devices and none of my former Acuras could notify me of and read text messages out loud or let me reply with pre-set messages. Best I could get on my 15 TLX was the ability to go into the inbox mannually an pull a message up.

The 3G RDX is a much better experience - it works the way it's advertised with a notification popping up briefly on the smaller right side of the main display and across the top of my heads up display. It will then let me play out loud and reply. My only qualm is the notification isn't super loud and not persistent visually so you can miss them if you've got the radio up etc.

Currently using a Pixel 2 XL on Android Pie.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PacSpud
I've usually had Nexus or Pixel devices and none of my former Acuras could notify me of and read text messages out loud or let me reply with pre-set messages. Best I could get on my 15 TLX was the ability to go into the inbox mannually an pull a message up.

The 3G RDX is a much better experience - it works the way it's advertised with a notification popping up briefly on the smaller right side of the main display and across the top of my heads up display. It will then let me play out loud and reply. My only qualm is the notification isn't super loud and not persistent visually so you can miss them if you've got the radio up etc.

Currently using a Pixel 2 XL on Android Pie.
Ha....I'll trade you. The text notification is so loud on my text messages received by the infotainment that my wife nearly jumps thru the roof. I have not found a way to adjust the volume of the notification. I'm basically waiting for the update before I put to much effort into document all the idiosyncrasies I've experienced. All in all, I give the system a B, and am awaiting for Android Auto update anxiously.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Android Auto is now in training phase with the dealers according to my dealership after picking up my vehicle today. Right now I can receive and respond to texts on my Android phone.
????? What does this mean? Why is Acura so secretive with whatever fixes they have been forced to make with their debacle of an infotainment system? At minimum, they should tell everyone with a first order RDX that their cars will be brought up to proper standards via whatever means they deem appropriate. But, given all the complaints here and on other board, Acura owes its early buyers some relief.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffro941

Ha....I'll trade you. The text notification is so loud on my text messages received by the infotainment that my wife nearly jumps thru the roof. I have not found a way to adjust the volume of the notification. I'm basically waiting for the update before I put to much effort into document all the idiosyncrasies I've experienced. All in all, I give the system a B, and am awaiting for Android Auto update anxiously.
Same here with text notifications. So loud that I went into the messaging app and turned off notifications. I still hear them on my phone.

Android Assistant works well for me before I get in the car but once in the car it flakes out. Not sure what is causing it - the BT, or AUX, or USB port connection.

I no longer connect my phone thru the USB port hidden in the centre console in part because of that.

I am tired of seeing the message "There is no Apple Carplay device connected" (or something like that) whenever I try to use the voice button on the steering wheel to answer calls.

In general I'd give the system a "D" as is just for the connectivity issues.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Not sure what kind of phones or Android version you have. My S9+ has a separate slider for the notification volume.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Not sure what kind of phones or Android version you have. My S9+ has a separate slider for the notification volume.
My phone has a separate slider for notifications as well. But that is irrelevant to the point about the high pitched and VERY LOUD noise that comes from the RDX's Infotainment system.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Asked my dealer about the Android Auto traing and he said they have not had any notification to date about the status or update. Hope they are just out of the loop.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 PM
VSG
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it helps, the three dealers I spoke to all gave different answers on when AA is being implemented- no idea, Nov-Dec 2018, and after Google I/O provides an AA update in the summer of 2019.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I spoke to the Acura rep who flew into Kansas City to look over my vehicle this morning and he just said they are getting very close, but would not provide an exact date.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Newsy1904
My phone has a separate slider for notifications as well. But that is irrelevant to the point about the high pitched and VERY LOUD noise that comes from the RDX's Infotainment system.
I realized since my last post that the SMS/MMS app I'm using (Textra) is possibly not Android Auto friendly so I'm going to try the authentic Google Messages app and see if I can replicate that super loud ear drum ripping shriek I was getting before disabling the function in the infotainment system.

The following users liked this post:
rfbarry19 (09-27-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Newsy1904
I realized since my last post that the SMS/MMS app I'm using (Textra) is possibly not Android Auto friendly so I'm going to try the authentic Google Messages app and see if I can replicate that super loud ear drum ripping shriek I was getting before disabling the function in the infotainment system.

Did you test this yet? I also use Textra and the RDX notification is deafening. I received a text over the weekend with my wife and child in the car and I thought my wife was going to jump through the sunroof when the notification went off. There has to be a way to fix this.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rfbarry19
Did you test this yet? I also use Textra and the RDX notification is deafening. I received a text over the weekend with my wife and child in the car and I thought my wife was going to jump through the sunroof when the notification went off. There has to be a way to fix this.
I have but not very rigorously. I switched back to the standard Google Messages thinking if any app is going to be Android Auto compatible it will be this app. I have had a handful of texts come through while I'm driving. Not one generated the shriek I previously heard.

However, while I think I reset the Infotainment system back to the configuration it has before, I'm not 100% sure.

For starters, I only hear the notification sound that my phone makes and I cannot tell if it is coming from my phone or via the car speakers. I have not seen a pop-up on the infotainment system that a message has come in. So I need to have a helper sort this out with a series of texts while I'm in the car, engine on, but not driving.

PS.... I have three SMS/MMS messaging apps loaded on my phone and I can freely switch between any of them to view and send apps so do not be afraid to install Google Messages. At some point the Android OS will ask you if you want to make this XYZ app the default. Be sure to do that for the app you wish to test with.

Last edited by Newsy1904; 10-01-2018 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rfbarry19 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Advanced

I have NOT found a solution to the Messages Notificatio SHRIEK.

I went back through the settings, found that I had not enabled it, did so and then even using Google Messages I was able to replicate the shriek with every incoming text message. It is absolutely a horrible sound that seriously distracts you from your attention to the traffic around you.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a Samsung S8 and when I click on messages on the RDX screen it says feature unavailable. Has anyone gotten their Samsung to receive and send texts?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
I have a Samsung S8 and when I click on messages on the RDX screen it says feature unavailable. Has anyone gotten their Samsung to receive and send texts?
ok well today it's working with my Samsung.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there an easier way to answer an incoming call for a bluetooth connected Android?
If I answer on the phone directly (Pixel XL), the audio comes through the phone itself. Not what I want.
If I answer by pressing on the top edge of the slider next to the trackpad, it uses the car's audio as it should.
Maybe I just need to get used to it but I seem to struggle with doing this. Is there any other way?

BTW, the audio quality of the RDX during phone calls is outstanding.
People are very surprised to learn I am driving down the highway at 75 MPH.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Push the left scroll wheel to the right to answer, to the left to decline.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
We’re on our first week with this car. My wife is an iPhone user. Samsung S8 for me. The Samsung/android works great. I’ve made and received calls. Had the system read my texts, and run Pandora through it. All of this via blue tooth. Haven’t plugged it in even to charge. I only wish I could send a text via voice. That function doesn’t seem to work. My wife on the other hand with apple isn’t too impressed with the setup....may be a learning curve thing. For both of us.

Getting this car has been reminiscent of when I first switched to an android phone and spent hours learning all the little settings and customizations.