Infotainment Stutters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Infotainment Stutters

For the last several weeks, my RDX has developed a new trick. It is starting to stutter. First I noticed it on an HD FM radio station. Occasionally, the audio stuttered and essentially repeated something like 3/4 second of the audio stream. During the initial episode, the HD symbol was dark for the feed. I finally rebooted the system and the HD symbol comes on , but I still get stutters every once in a while, usually several in a small space of time. This mostly happens on one station, because that is the one I listen to, but I have heard it on other ones, too.

At the same time, my USB feed has started developing small gaps in the audio stream. I can sort of ignore them, but they are driving my wife bonkers. I think the USB is not the source, but I haven't had a chance to try a different one, yet.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Sure wish they would fix this stuff.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
For the last several weeks, my RDX has developed a new trick. It is starting to stutter. First I noticed it on an HD FM radio station. Occasionally, the audio stuttered and essentially repeated something like 3/4 second of the audio stream. During the initial episode, the HD symbol was dark for the feed. I finally rebooted the system and the HD symbol comes on , but I still get stutters every once in a while, usually several in a small space of time. This mostly happens on one station, because that is the one I listen to, but I have heard it on other ones, too.

At the same time, my USB feed has started developing small gaps in the audio stream. I can sort of ignore them, but they are driving my wife bonkers. I think the USB is not the source, but I haven't had a chance to try a different one, yet.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Sure wish they would fix this stuff.
Yes.. It happens to me from time to time. Especially when trying to use Bluetooth for Audiobooks and USB for music
Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
A bit of followup on the original post.

Now my USB playback drops the sound for 0.1 - .0.25 seconds almost every song file. I have seen several posts regarding temperature and did some testing. I got a USB extension cable to isolate the thumb drive from the socket and dropped to 32 Gig USB 3.1 thumb drives formatted in FAT32. Sad to say that the drops are still there.

One thing I did find out is that there are significant differences in the temperature ratings of different USB thumb drives. I have several Sandisk and similar drives that apparently are only rated to about 105 deg F, which could easily be exceeded in a hot car. I found some rated at 150 deg F (65 dec C) and ended up buying a Samsung that was rated at 185 deg F (85 deg C) and they all pretty much cost the same amount of money at Fry's.

However, now, in addition to the drop outs, I am starting to hear pops form the system, like pebbles hitting the car.

I understand why they might be waiting for Google to get Android Auto figured out, but why no system patches to the rest of the infotainment system since the beginning of the year?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
A bit of followup on the original post.

Now my USB playback drops the sound for 0.1 - .0.25 seconds almost every song file. I have seen several posts regarding temperature and did some testing. I got a USB extension cable to isolate the thumb drive from the socket and dropped to 32 Gig USB 3.1 thumb drives formatted in FAT32. Sad to say that the drops are still there.

One thing I did find out is that there are significant differences in the temperature ratings of different USB thumb drives. I have several Sandisk and similar drives that apparently are only rated to about 105 deg F, which could easily be exceeded in a hot car. I found some rated at 150 deg F (65 dec C) and ended up buying a Samsung that was rated at 185 deg F (85 deg C) and they all pretty much cost the same amount of money at Fry's.

However, now, in addition to the drop outs, I am starting to hear pops form the system, like pebbles hitting the car.

I understand why they might be waiting for Google to get Android Auto figured out, but why no system patches to the rest of the infotainment system since the beginning of the year?
That's a good question and one I asked the District Service Manager way back about the time spring started and he said there would be no updates for at least 6 months. I don't understand Acura at all and glad I am done with them..

Good Luck to you and everyone else
Old 08-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Acura will come up with a fix eventually. Sadly, I'm having these issues too. I'm pretty sure Acura is also waiting on iOS 13 CarPlay update. It does suck to wait, but it will get resolved at some point or another.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My issue started today. Turned radio system off. One minute late it came back on all by itself. Happened 3 times then finally stayed off.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Acura will come up with a fix eventually. Sadly, I'm having these issues too. I'm pretty sure Acura is also waiting on iOS 13 CarPlay update. It does suck to wait, but it will get resolved at some point or another.
Unless there is something in 13 that directly addresses the absolute positioning touchpad, and I have not heard a whisper, then Carplay is entirely separate from the car, and there should be nothing for Acura to wait for.

The car came out in June, 2018, with quarterly, later yearly Nav updates, and 14 months later, no nav updates.
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Unless there is something in 13 that directly addresses the absolute positioning touchpad, and I have not heard a whisper, then Carplay is entirely separate from the car, and there should be nothing for Acura to wait for.

I am running IOS 13 beta 4 now and can tell you the touchpad positioning seems worse to me now than ever before.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Apple Maps is different in iOS 13 beta, and I think it's a little easier to navigate the screen ( pun intended ).

But Google Maps knows of many things that Apple Maps doesn't, sadly. At least it's available in CarPlay now.

No change in "stutters" that I can tell. I think that's on Acura's end.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I just returned from a road trip using my iPhone 8+ with iOS 13.6. Everything is good on the trip for navigation and music. I used all of the apps that are on my CarPlay and they all worked with no problems. I am confused as I did have problems in earlier months. I didn't attribute anything to the iOS version in my phone. Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
If I leave SiriusXM on the main screen, I will, from time to time, have a slow load, with the spinning circle saying "loading". The music always plays during this time.

If I leave the map on the main screen, I never have this slow loading. It may have to do with the XM buffering, as XM will almost always start out at the beginning of a song when changing stations...but then I'm not sure how this would cause slow loading on a fresh startup. ??? EDIT: I guess it is buffering the other channels so if I change channels it will then start at the beginning of that song. While it is an interesting feature, I would do without it for a quicker load.

I use an Android phone (Galaxy S8) synced via Bluetooth, but don't use a flash drive or play any music from the phone.

I get text messages through the infotainment system, and can have them read out loud, but I don't get any audible notification sound from the car, only from my phone in pocket. For a while I wasn't getting the text notification sound from my phone when connected via Bluetooth, but I recently changed a setting on my phone under Bluetooth, and now I get the notification sounds on my phone again. I didn't see anyplace on the RDX settings to add text message notification sounds or modify the sound level of them so they would come through the infotainment system.

Just posting my experiences and thoughts for discussion.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 08-22-2019 at 09:33 PM.