Improving Base Model Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 10:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Improving Base Model Audio System

What's up fellow Base Model RDXers. First, just want to start by saying it wasn't my intention to buy the base model, it just sort of happened. My wife and I liked the exterior and interior of the one we chose, and I totally overlooked the audio system between models. I just figured since Acura was a more premium brand, the base model would still have a pretty good system. Guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Other than the audio system, I'm thankful my RDX has been pretty solid overall compared to some of the issues I've read in here. Infotainment is solid and driving experience is great with SH-AWD.

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread to see what other Base Model RDXers have done to cope with the subpar audio system. A thread where we can share what settings we've used to tune the audio system for an optimal listening experience, whether in the Acura infotainment system or an external equalizer on their phone.

My experience with it is listening to pop/edm/hip-hop on default settings is decent. But listening to anything with real instruments is flat and non-immersive.

I want to share what I've done to improve my listening experience which I would say made the system go from somewhat tolerable to 'pretty good'.

I tried adjusting the infotainment audio settings and those just seem to distort the audio and don't really improve it.

My best solution was adjusting the equalizer in Google Play Music. One catch to this is only Android phones have an equalizer in Google Play Music, sorry iPhone users. Another catch is you'd have to be playing your music from Google Play Music for this to work.

​​​​​​
Here's a photo of my equalizer settings. I've toggled Dolby Atmos as well but on/off sounds similar. I left infotainment settings at default. These settings have improved the listening experience of all different genres of music I listen to. The bass response is better, and everything sounds more full and immersive.

I'm interested to see what others have done to improve their listening experience, feel free to share and hope this has helped someone improve their audio in a otherwise great vehicle!
​​​​
The following users liked this post:
MacCura (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also interested in hearing others opinion on this. The Base trim sound is OK, and I understand I should have gotten the ELS if I wanted better sound.

But I am disappointed — the system lacks punch/bass. I was shocked to hear that one of the nine speakers is a subwoofer because I just don’t hear it. Is there any way to adjust the sub’s volume?

My base trim 2017 MDX has much sound than my 2019 RDX Base.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:22 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
We have the ELS...I would say the bass is 'OK'. I know there have been postings where people have either replaced the sub or added a sub, and/or other electronics. I would prefer it kicks in at a little lower volume, but I like bass....others don't. One thing that differentiates the RDX from an LR3 we had, was that the LR3 had, in addition to bass and trebles controls was a 'sub'' control which allowed you to crank that up some. It is one thing I wish the RDX had in its settings.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That’s a good point — my base MDX can adjust the subwoofer settings and it makes a difference. Why wouldn’t the RDX allow the same sub adjustment?

everyone’s bass preference is different, let the driver decide how they want to adjust their audio!

Originally Posted by EFR
We have the ELS...I would say the bass is 'OK'. I know there have been postings where people have either replaced the sub or added a sub, and/or other electronics. I would prefer it kicks in at a little lower volume, but I like bass....others don't. One thing that differentiates the RDX from an LR3 we had, was that the LR3 had, in addition to bass and trebles controls was a 'sub'' control which allowed you to crank that up some. It is one thing I wish the RDX had in its settings.