Built in data connection vs wifi connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020 | 01:06 PM
Advanced

Built in data connection vs wifi connection

My question is about the function of the RDX's built-in data connection versus the ability to connect to a Wi-Fi network.

I was using the built-in navigation system today and searching for a restaurant. I noticed that below the search field near the microphone icon, there was a message that said "no data connection, search results may be limited."

This seems to suggest that the car can do cloud lookup of navigation destinations in addition to what is built into the HERE database. Cool.

I thought it was interesting though that it said no data connection because I was in the middle of a metro area where I know there is signal available from all possible carriers.

I had turned the Wi-Fi on to connect to my home network when the latest firmware update had come out and never turn that off. I was far away from my house and not connected to any other Wi-Fi networks.

I'm wondering if having the Wi-Fi connection on prevents the car from connecting to the network through its built-in data connection? I actually turned Wi-Fi off and a few minutes later in the same part of town, I was able to do searches without getting that no data connection message and I was also able to check successfully for a system update.

This could have just been a fluke and there was some problem that prevented me from connecting to the network through the car's built-in connection that resolved itself. But does anyone else have any experience that suggests that you actually can't use the car's built in connection when you have the Wi-Fi connection method turned on?

I assumed that I could leave Wi-Fi on all the time and once I got out of range of an SSID that I had previously connected to, it would default back to the car's built-in data connection. But maybe that's not how it works.
Old 07-03-2020 | 03:20 PM
Drifting

A great question. I hope someone with the "know" will post, as I'd like to know this as well.

I do recall something about having to subscribe to AT&T....