3G base trim factory amp bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020 | 12:02 AM
axw
9th Gear

3G base trim factory amp bypass?

Hi there, I wonder if someone has experience on upgrading the base trim (9-speaker) audio and help me with the OEM setup. I am planning to have aftermarket amp, speakers and subs and need to decide if I need a summing processor like LC7. Is the factory set up:
1) ‘HU -> OEM amp -> speakers/sub’ or
2) ‘HU -> speakers/sub’?

if it is the first (with OEM amp), does the HU adjust volume and process the signals through CAN bus? Need to find out where I can get the input signals (pre OEM amp or after). If it’s with CAN bus (like in the ELS audio) the I can only connect to after amp.

it would be great if someone can post wiring diagrams.

the picture below is from 1G forum, and it has an OEM amp. If 3G has OEM amp, is it in the same location (drive side) and same wirings?

Old 01-06-2020 | 12:38 PM
Instructor

The amplifier is in the back, below the sub. I haven't traced the audio connection in great detail but would assume there is also a digital signal processor in the connection. Here is a great write-up of a subwoofer installation that you may find useful. I just finished upgrading my sub over the weekend and will soon do a write-up as well. I spliced into the wiring on Connector A (see below) for a signal to my aftermarket equipment. You'll need to run the signal into a line-out converter (see AudioControl's offerings) which will then go to your amplifier. For my install, the line-out converter is integrated with my aftermarket amplifier.

Here are some diagrams of the connections for your amp:

Connector A

Connector B

Connector C

The following users liked this post:
axw (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020 | 08:33 PM
axw
9th Gear

Thank you, Mustachio, for the great help. By looking at the connectors, I think there’s no way to bypass the oem amp but to connect speaker level outputs of the amp as the aftermarket amp inputs. I am also thinking to use internal summing amp such as JL VX series or AudioControl D series, both of which takes speaker level inputs and do summing.

where are the inputs of this oem amp? Are the two jack holes to the left of the amp in the picture inputs (signal from HU)? A wiring diagram will be great way to show this, if someone has it.

from some Acura parts website, it shows RDX has a turner unit (No. 7 below), which probably means the base trim audio setup as this: HU-tuner-amp-speaker.

Old 01-07-2020 | 07:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by axw
Thank you, Mustachio, for the great help. By looking at the connectors, I think there’s no way to bypass the oem amp but to connect speaker level outputs of the amp as the aftermarket amp inputs. I am also thinking to use internal summing amp such as JL VX series or AudioControl D series, both of which takes speaker level inputs and do summing.

where are the inputs of this oem amp? Are the two jack holes to the left of the amp in the picture inputs (signal from HU)? A wiring diagram will be great way to show this, if someone has it.

from some Acura parts website, it shows RDX has a turner unit (No. 7 below), which probably means the base trim audio setup as this: HU-tuner-amp-speaker.

The AudioControl D-Series appears to be the easier of the two amps you are considering based on how to connect your inputs from the OEM amp. I personally use the LC-1.800 amplifier to power a JL 10TW3 subwoofer. It was as simple as connecting to the speaker level outputs (Connector A) from the OEM amp. The inputs are located on Connector C.

Here are the additional connectors (I don't think they will be of much use to you):

Connector D

Connector E

Connector F
Old 01-07-2020 | 06:11 PM
axw
9th Gear

Can’t wait to read your sub installation write up, Mustachio!
The following users liked this post:
Mustachio (01-08-2020)