The upgrades begin

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The upgrades begin

So far, on my 2021 RDX Advanced, I've done 35% tint, the aftermarket 2" hitch, the wireless charging pad, Acura logo puddle lights, a small center console organizer, a cargo net, a cargo cover, a large cargo area organizer, and the AAWireless adapter.

Now the real fun begins. I started with the easy ones because that's all I had time for today.

The fitted rear seat cover, for additional protection from my dogs claws.

And the door trim panel covers to match the other interior trim.

Sitting in the wings, waiting for time.

Chrome tailgate spoiler trim.
Illuminated door sills
Welcome lights
Clear rear bumper applique.
Running boards.
Front bumper lower trim. I think I'm going to have this painted body color before installing it.
Remote start. On backorder right now, so who knows when that will arrive.

The following users liked this post:
EXCALIBUR1 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please keep us posted on the welcome lights (not to be confused for the puddle lights, I have those already on the front two doors) That’s been on my list for awhile. Found the part online, but interested in the actual install.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Nice. Sounds like you have a list of mods coming too.

Replacing the rear regular turn signal bulbs with LED’s is an easy mod too. I used: LASFIT Amber BAU15S 7507 1156PY PY21W LED Turn Signal Light Blinker Bulbs with CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash, No Load Resistor Need, 2022 Upgraded Intelligent. They are perfect brightness to be seen when the LED brake lights are on, other wise the regular turn signal bulbs get washed out.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 04-08-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Nice. Sounds like you have a list of mods coming too.

Replacing the rear regular turn signal bulbs with LED’s is an easy mod too. I used: LASFIT Amber BAU15S 7507 1156PY PY21W LED Turn Signal Light Blinker Bulbs with CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash, No Load Resistor Need, 2022 Upgraded Intelligent. They are perfect brightness to be seen when the LED brake lights are on, other wise the regular turn signal bulbs get washed out.
Lots of items piling up in the garage, waiting for time and weather.

These are the bulbs that seem to be popular too. https://a.co/d/jg7H9su
Texasrdx21 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by supraman317
Please keep us posted on the welcome lights (not to be confused for the puddle lights, I have those already on the front two doors) That’s been on my list for awhile. Found the part online, but interested in the actual install.
Will do. I wasn't sure I was going to do them, but I got a good deal on all the parts (former Honda/Acura parts department manager here) so I decided to do everything.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Did the welcome lights today. Also attempted to do the illuminated door sills but one of the connectors on the right sill was damaged so I'll need to warranty that.

I was going to do them both at the same time because they have the same initial steps when installing.

Thankfully, the welcome lights were not damaged and that was completed.

The install wasn't bad. Took me about 2.5 from start to completely cleaned up and tools put away, and that included multiple phone calls from people during the process.

Step #11: I did break one of the push clips holding the floor under cover in place, but otherwise no casualties. And that's an easy part to pop in once I pick one up.

Interior pieces came out much easier than other, older models I've worked on, which was a nice discovery.

Step #1: I didn't remove the negative cable.

Step #16 and #22: The vehicle harness is attached to the main loom right below the AC vent on the drivers' side. And a little move difficult to find on the passengers' side.

Step #28: Instead of using multiple, incremental-sized drill bits, I just used a uni-bit to drill the holes in the under cover.
Because the under cover is plastic, I drilled through one side first, then cleaned the holes up from the other side. The holes for the cutout portions are just to make it easier to cut with an air saw so they don't need to be precise.
TIP: If you are planning on installing running boards at she same time or later (I am) cut out those sections while you have the under covers out.

Step #30: Don't skip the part where you must drill the three light mounting holes to a larger size.

Step #33: One thing that isn't obvious in the instructions is how the assembled lights are installed.
You'll install them from the TOP side of the under cover. Then the bolt/washer combo comes through the bottom, through the light bracket, add a washer and nut, and tighten.
I did notice these details when I went back and read them again, but in the heat of the moment, it wasn't clear.

Step #36: When installing the under covers, it's easiest to install the three plastic nut/washer combos first to hold the assembly in place. Then the five push clips. And finally the six bolt/washer assemblies.

When I get my warranty replacement illuminated door sills, it should be a breeze now that I've already had those items out of the car.
supraman317 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 04:35 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Where can I find this step by step guide?
Old 04-13-2024, 04:40 PM
10th Gear

Also, would love to see pics of the welcome lights
Old 04-13-2024, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Where can I find this step by step guide?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...nside-1000748/

Also, would love to see pics of the welcome lights
I'll post pictures once it gets dark here.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Welcome lights at 8pm

The following 2 users liked this post by hidperf:
bluntman72 (04-29-2024), supraman317 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by hidperf
Welcome lights at 8pm

Do they light up when you approach the vehicle?
Old 04-14-2024, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
Do they light up when you approach the vehicle?
Only when the doors unlock. So with the fob or when you grab the handle. I also believe they come on any time you open a door.
They come on then soft fade after a certain amount of time.

Are there any features on these that trigger as you approach? I haven't noticed anything with mine.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:20 PM
10th Gear

I know the MDX has the handle lights come on as you approach the vehicle, which is a very nice feature. Nonetheless this looks sick, it’s on my list to do next. Thanks for sharing OP much appreciated!
Old 04-14-2024, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Only when the doors unlock. So with the fob or when you grab the handle. I also believe they come on any time you open a door.
They come on then soft fade after a certain amount of time.

Are there any features on these that trigger as you approach? I haven't noticed anything with mine.
Not that I am aware of. I just thought they functioned the same way as the lights on the BMW 7 series or Lincoln models that light up as you approach the vehicle.

I know the MDX has the handle lights come on as you approach the vehicle, which is a very nice feature. Nonetheless this looks sick, it’s on my list to do next. Thanks for sharing OP much appreciated!
Wait, the RDX doesn't have the inner handle lights? I could have sworn it did, am I imagining things? My sisters old 2016 Hyundai Tucson had the door handle lights when you approach the vehicle, Acura really dropped the ball with respect to cool lighting features, the most egregious is the lack of real ambient lighting IMO.

Hey @hidperf Are you planning any ambient lighting mods?
Old 04-14-2024, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Hey @hidperf Are you planning any ambient lighting mods?
I've seen some posts where people have added some of the thin LED "rope" lights along the console and dash, but I probably won't go that far.

Just for reference, I'm coming from a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, so anything my RDX has is already lightyears ahead of what I had before.
The following 2 users liked this post by hidperf:
RDX10 (04-15-2024), Texasrdx21 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
On my 2024 Advance there is a light on the underside of the folding mirrors that comes on as you approach the vehicle.

It also has interior accent lighting.

There are a number of "themes" to select from in the Lighting Setup.

Ron

RDX10 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron T
On my 2024 Advance there is a light on the underside of the folding mirrors that comes on as you approach the vehicle.

Ron
I know my 2021 Advance doesn't have puddle lights. It does have some interior lights, but I don't think it has as many as the post-facelift models nor does it have themes. I'll check again, but I' don't remember seeing that much customization available. And I've always thought the interior lighting was lacking.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Ron
This is very cool! I did not know they added all tbat lighting in the MMC. I love that it is possible to have multiple colors at once. I'm not sure if you've seen the Q5 ambient lighting, you can customize different colors for upper and lower half of the dash. Yellow on purple looks surprisingly sick!
Old 04-27-2024, 07:55 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The puddle light is a pretty install. Maybe 15 minutes, total. There's a left and right one. When laying on the ground looking up at the puddle light, you'll be able to compare and see which is which. Notice on the new light the side that slides in first. With a small screwdriver, gently pry out the opposite side first. Disconnect the old light and install the new light. Slide it back in and you're done. The other door will take even less time.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:03 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Copperman
The welcome light is a pretty easy install. Maybe 15 minutes, total. There's a left and right one. When laying on the ground looking up at the welcome

light, you'll be able to compare and see which is which. Notice on the new light the side that slides in first. With a small screwdriver, gently pry out the opposite side first. Disconnect the old light and install the new light. Slide it back in and you're done. The other door will take even less time.
I initially called this a puddle light. I guess it's called a welcome light. No matter what it's called, it's a very easy install.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Copperman
I initially called this a puddle light. I guess it's called a welcome light. No matter what it's called, it's a very easy install.
I think the Puddle Lights referenced earlier in this thread are the lights in the mirrors on the later models and the Welcome Lights are the accessory (at least on my 2021) lights added under the floor pan/rocker area.

But yes, those in the underside of the door (whatever their official name is) are super easy to "upgrade".

​​​​​​​
Old 04-30-2024, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Not that it really matters, but I did a bit of research and think I have things figured out on these different lights.

Puddle Lights - The ones under the mirror, only on some models. This is referenced in the owners manual.
Door Courtesy Lights - These are the lights on the bottom of the front doors that can be replaced with the projector-style lights. This is also referenced in the owners manual.
Welcome Lights - These are the lights under the vehicle that are a dealer/owner installed Acura Accessory.

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron T:
EXCALIBUR1 (04-30-2024), RDX10 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:17 AM
Intermediate

Not that it really matters, but I did a bit of research and think I have things figured out on these different lights.

Puddle Lights - The ones under the mirror, only on some models. This is referenced in the owners manual.
Door Courtesy Lights - These are the lights on the bottom of the front doors that can be replaced with the projector-style lights. This is also referenced in the owners manual.
Welcome Lights - These are the lights under the vehicle that are a dealer/owner installed Acura Accessory.

Ron
I'll roll with this.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Finally got my warranty replacement illuminated door sill, so I threw them in quickly tonight.

And of course, a shot of all three lights.

Also picked up my remote start kit. Now I just need time to install the rest.
The following 3 users liked this post by hidperf:
EXCALIBUR1 (05-08-2024), RDX10 (05-08-2024), supraman317 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:19 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Where do you get those rear seat covers and are there any other pieces like for the front seat and then arm rest. I carry my beagles around a lot and they are hard on the arm rests
Old 05-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlanW
Where do you get those rear seat covers and are there any other pieces like for the front seat and then arm rest. I carry my beagles around a lot and they are hard on the arm rests
Those are the OEM accessory seat covers. They only make them for the rear seat, nothing for the front.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

So far, on my 2021 RDX Advanced, I've done 35% tint, the aftermarket 2" hitch, the wireless charging pad, Acura logo puddle lights, a small center console organizer, a cargo net, a cargo cover, a large cargo area organizer, and the AAWireless adapter.

Now the real fun begins. I started with the easy ones because that's all I had time for today.

The fitted rear seat cover, for additional protection from my dogs claws.

And the door trim panel covers to match the other interior trim.

Sitting in the wings, waiting for time.

Chrome tailgate spoiler trim.
Illuminated door sills
Welcome lights
Clear rear bumper applique.
Running boards.
Front bumper lower trim. I think I'm going to have this painted body color before installing it.
Remote start. On backorder right now, so who knows when that will arrive.
Are those door trim covers real aluminum? Do they get really cold on the winter/hot on the summer? I really like the way they look but I live in a place with pretty extreme weather (hot and cold) and that is a big concern for me. Also are they prone to fingerprints and such? Lastly do they come for all 4 doors?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2024, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Are those door trim covers real aluminum? Do they get really cold on the winter/hot on the summer? I really like the way they look but I live in a place with pretty extreme weather (hot and cold) and that is a big concern for me. Also are they prone to fingerprints and such? Lastly do they come for all 4 doors?

Thanks in advance!
They appear to be aluminum. They're not plastic and definitely feel like metal.
I've not noticed them getting extremely hot/cold but I've not had them on long enough to be in any extreme temperatures yet.
Yes, they come with all four doors and they match the existing silver trim almost exactly. Close enough that you can't tell a difference unless you see them in a specific lighting. And even then, you have to really focus on them.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:54 AM
Suzuka Master

They appear to be aluminum. They're not plastic and definitely feel like metal.
I've not noticed them getting extremely hot/cold but I've not had them on long enough to be in any extreme temperatures yet.
Yes, they come with all four doors and they match the existing silver trim almost exactly. Close enough that you can't tell a difference unless you see them in a specific lighting. And even then, you have to really focus on them.
Thank you for the thorough response and for answering all my questions and then some, very appreciated! I like how they accentuate that little black trim piece that goes backwards from where the handle to close the door is, I've never noticed that detail before.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Had some free time after work (for once) so did the chrome rear spoiler things.

Old 06-02-2024, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Squeezed in some more time last night and this morning to install the running boards. The middle bracket is a giant PITA to install because of the angles at both ends, but patients will get you there.
These are NOT the genuine OEM running boards, but the ones sold on Amazon. I believe the only difference is these don't have RDX embossed in them. They are beefy and I expect no problems from them when it comes to strength. They appear to be very high quality too.