Touchpad problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Touchpad problems...

Hello...I tried searching the forums, but came up dry - apologies if I missed something.

Has anyone had any issues with the large portion of the touchpad in the 3G RDX sticking? Mine will occasionally seem as if there is something causing it to not click crisply and when I select an item it automatically goes into the 'move the icon' mode. NOTHING has been spilled on the touchpad and as the only driver of this car, I am positive nothing wet or dry has defiled this touchpad or the adjoining area. I've only had the car a month and this has been happening for the last 3 weeks. I suppose something could have been happened during delivery prep, etc. Yet, the touchpad seems to have a crisp click response most of the time, then every few days, it will seem as if the action is less click-click. crisp and more 'gummy' in nature where it is hard to push down, no click, and it will take a few seconds to return to original position.

Has anyone had this issue? If so what was the fix?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Nope.

Record it.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Nope and ditto on the record it for the service dept. Did you do the prescribed number of break in clicks????
The following users liked this post:
TheDatanator (02-21-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Complain to the service department. This is an easy fix and as long as the issue is reproducible, it will be covered under warranty.

FYI I did find small variation in the touchpad feedback across the two RDXs I drove, one was more sticky and mine is more click-ey.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. Bottom left corner seemed to be stuck down. Replaced under warranty. They have to take the dash apart to replace it and luckily they didn't create any rattles afterwards. Tell them to be careful near the windshield as they scraped mine up a bit.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced

I will - saving a list of issues for my first oil change. Let's see what we have so far:

1) brake squeal
2) tailgate pop when opening
3) touchpad sticking
4) onboard navigation and carplay does not play voice feedback. This is a wonky one - it seems my center speaker is not working, even when playing music. I'm told the center speaker is responsible for voice feedback. I opened a different thread on this one - I even sat with the master tech at the dealer recently and he could not figure out how to make anything produce voice response/feedback in this car. I guess when they have my dash torn apart for the speaker they can replace my trackpad. geez.

I think that is it for now. I'm not a big complainer but I'm really surprised this car has so many issues. The crazy thing is I traded an audi q5 for this car. Now, in the Audi's defense, it was 9 years old - the sunroof frame fractured and the quoted $6K repair was more than the car was worth. My wife - back in September - had an Audi RS5 convertible... it was a '14 just out of warranty. The headliner fell out of the canvas top. Cost to fix the headliner? $7K. Dealer and local shop recommendations after shopping around?... replace the entire top because those tops are notorious for the back glass window separating from the canvas. No point in a 7K repair followed by a $10K repair. Value of the car? less than 40K. So... got rid of THAT one too. ... so back to the RDX.

After the crappy experience x2 with the Audis, I decided to take the 'safe route' and buy a brand I thought to be reliable and have some longevity to it. I figured - yeah, a Honda or Toyota product must be pretty good, right? I looked at Passport, Rav4, RDX. out of all of them the RDX was most fun to drive and is actually a pretty good value compared to similarly-equipped Honda or Toyota products. With SH-AWD, it is pleasing to drive and has enough punch to keep me satisfied for the most part.

... I'm really disappointed Acura seems to have lost sight of QC and these issues seem to be consistent across '19 and '20 models. I'm actually ok with the infotainment now that I'm past the learning curve. The biggest issue with the infotainment system I have is the boot time - There are times I start the car and the radio is louder than I want to to be. The volume control won't respond until the system is fully booted up.

so.. I digress - it seems I threadjacked my own thread. This is my ADD rearing its head. SQUIRREL!

Thanks for the input, everyone. This seems to be a decent community so far. I've been part of the bmw boards (15 years driving M cars) and then the audi boards. The bmw boards are full of snarky pricks and the audi boards are mostly ok but there are a few snarky folks there too. The porsche boards seemed to be mostly okay but at the car club meetings, there was definitely a pecking order of who is better. The snot factor was more present in person than on the boards. When you show up at those meetings with a lowly 968 or Cayman S like I had in the past, the guys in the carreras and turbos really looked down on a guy. LOL - petty shit.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97ws6
Yes. Bottom left corner seemed to be stuck down. Replaced under warranty. They have to take the dash apart to replace it and luckily they didn't create any rattles afterwards. Tell them to be careful near the windshield as they scraped mine up a bit.
YES! Bottom left corner is my biggest problem with this thing!!!