Thinking about a 19 or 20 pre-owned

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a 19 or 20 pre-owned

First, thanks to all for posting very helpful info to us deciding whether to take the plunge. I really like the new RDX in theory, its (for me) a better Q5, more cargo area, more comfortable seats, etc. Great driving car, loaded with features. I’ve plowed through the forums and just wonder the following:
1). Did the D.1.2.2 fix most of the infotainment problems for folks (except obviously for those who still can’t download it)? From my forum research, it seemed like it did, maybe?
2). Is there a solution or TSB for the limp home issue (I had that with the first year model Q80, solved by new CPU)? If it was a CPU reaction to some temporary bad misfire codes, would any of the infotainment updates fix that?
3). With regard to the roll out glitches, is there any “difference” between buying a 2020, as opposed to a fully updated infotainment operating system 2019?

Thanks for any advice, appreciate the learning from the collective here. FYI, I noticed from about two hours CARFAX reviews of used low mileage 2019 and 2020 RDXs, that a lot of them have been traded to non-Acura dealerships with 5-11K miles on them. And, nationally, there are a lot of such cars out there.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ThreeRidges
First, thanks to all for posting very helpful info to us deciding whether to take the plunge. I really like the new RDX in theory, its (for me) a better Q5, more cargo area, more comfortable seats, etc. Great driving car, loaded with features. I’ve plowed through the forums and just wonder the following:
1). Did the D.1.2.2 fix most of the infotainment problems for folks (except obviously for those who still can’t download it)? From my forum research, it seemed like it did, maybe?
2). Is there a solution or TSB for the limp home issue (I had that with the first year model Q80, solved by new CPU)? If it was a CPU reaction to some temporary bad misfire codes, would any of the infotainment updates fix that?
3). With regard to the roll out glitches, is there any “difference” between buying a 2020, as opposed to a fully updated infotainment operating system 2019?

Thanks for any advice, appreciate the learning from the collective here. FYI, I noticed from about two hours CARFAX reviews of used low mileage 2019 and 2020 RDXs, that a lot of them have been traded to non-Acura dealerships with 5-11K miles on them. And, nationally, there are a lot of such cars out there.
Welcome to the forum.

1. Yes! I had all kinds of weird issues that D1.2.2 fixed. I also has an Android Auto issue that ws finally resolved with a new cable.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Build quality is possibly better with newer RDX. Still glitchy infotainment sometimes. Common complaints are very minor and some people blow it out of proportion. Roomy powerful fun handling SUV.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
FWIW I've been window shopping for an RDX for over a month now and haven't perceived any notable differences in the years. Except for the change in white paint color in 2020. I always suspect that car companies work out some hidden kinks between build years too, but it might just be a placebo.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
FWIW I've been window shopping for an RDX for over a month now and haven't perceived any notable differences in the years. Except for the change in white paint color in 2020. I always suspect that car companies work out some hidden kinks between build years too, but it might just be a placebo.
They often do. As just one example, they might change suppliers for a particular part, with the same "specs", but maybe the tolerances will be better.
One minor example I can personally relate is on the CR-V. When the current generation (5) was released for the 2017 model year, the fuel level gauge had a white level indicator. Many owners found it hard to read, so for the 2018 model year, the indicator was changed to red. NO formal public notification was made of this change.

Over the years I have owned a huge amount of new cars, some times I have liked them so much, that I have bought another one of the next model year (of the same generation) for my wife. It was often interesting to compare the differences between the supposedly "same" vehicles.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Going from memory of reading this forum, most complaints seemed to have been cleared up between the 2019 and 2020 model years. We only have 5400 miles on our 2020 (COVID-19-restarined) and have had absolutely zero issues, other than the loud swearing that accompanies my attempts to use the pointy pad and the non-intuitive paths one has to take sometimes. But that's just me. We love the HUD, and since were in Canada at the moment the speed shows up as kph - the selection between metric/Imperial is 2 roller clicks away on the right wheel for the MID.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThreeRidges

I leased a new 2020 Advance AWD (Gunmetal/Ebony) after going to the dealer looking at a CPO ‘19 Advance online with 17k miles listed at $37900. After talking about that car for over an hour, the sales manager asked “have you considered a new car?” I thought it would be way out of my price range, but with the incentives, a hefty discount since they’d been sitting on the car for 6-8 months (it was built 11/19) and very good lease terms, it was almost a tossup. So I went with the new. That was a month ago, and with the 2021s now in stock, 2020s should be even more attractive. I have about 1000 miles and have not seen any of the performance issues some have noted. MPG is about 18, but I haven’t done any real highway driving yet.

FWIW, I’m still on D.1.2.1 with the System Update badge showing. However, I have yet to see any of the infotainment issues reported here, and I’m wary of the black screen failed updates. Unless it really acts up, I’ll wait until I need to take it to the dealer, and then I’ll give them heck for not doing the update prior to delivery.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD CPO in April with 11k on the ODO. The way I looked at it was the RDX was 10k off the MSRP and, I get the 6yr/100k warranty and the balance of the new warranty. There were little changes for the 2020/2021 models and I've been very happy with my decision. I received the OTA update and that gave me AA which was great. I've had the fuel pump recall done a few weeks back. I'm coming from a TSX Sport Wagon which I miss sometimes but, the RDX has been fun to drive and I love the red interior.