test drove the ID.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
test drove the ID.4

I'm thinking of life after RDX. I've had so many issues, I would prefer to not keep the car outside of warranty, and I'm not even really enjoying it too much now because of rattles. Given where the world is headed, I think I will most likely go electric. Given the 6-8 month lead times for most EVs, I figure I need to start shopping around now. I test drove a Model Y a while ago and liked it. I had been to a dealership to check out the Mach-E but didn't get a chance to test drive one. I've read a lot of negative reviews for the Mach-E (very low ground clearance comparable to a Mustang GT, only one key fob, complicated cooling system likely to cause problems as the car ages, etc.). I had seen a lot of good press for the ID.4 and so I've been wanting to try it. The nearest dealer is 25 min away in heavy traffic so I really needed to set some time aside to go in for a test drive. I finally made it in today.

The car was a RWD Pro S with Gradient Package (20" wheels).

Things I liked:
  • Ride quality. Soaks up road imperfections really well. Better than RDX for sure and also better than the Model Y I test drove.
  • The steering feel is great. The RDX steering has a bit more of an artificial feel to it especially when making low speed turns.
  • The seat padding and overall seat comfort was excellent. I want to say I liked the seat padding better than the RDX's.
  • The exterior and interior design. Simple, tasteful and functional. It beats the Model Y. I like the normal door handles better than the fancy-but-likely-to-pinch-if-not-careful handles that Tesla uses on the Model 3 and Y. Tesla uses different handles on the S & X.
  • The quality of materials is about as expected for this class.
  • It drives like a normal car unlike the Tesla which uses very aggressive regen braking.
  • The visibility is excellent, unlike the RDX and the Model Y.
Things I didn't like:
  • Road noise is pretty bad. I didn't even take it on the highway and I found it quite noisy even at 50 mph. It might be noisier than the RDX, although the RDX is pretty noisy too.
  • The range of seat height adjustment is a tad less than I would like. Because of back issues, I prefer to sit as high up as possible.
  • The center armrest has a split design which kind of felt cheap.
  • The location of the wireless charger is such that you'd have trouble seeing the phone's display when it's there.
  • Would have liked an opaque shade for the panoramic glass roof. Model Y doesn't have a shade. The ID.4 has one, but it's a see-through one. I also don't think the glass does as good a job at rejected heat as the Tesla. It was pretty nippy outside and yet I could feel a lot of heat through the glass and shade.
  • Some weird design quirks like no dedicated buttons for the rear windows--they use the same buttons for fronts and rears with a selector.
Overall, I was quite impressed with the ride quality. I thought it soaked up road imperfections much better than the Model Y and also much better than the my 2019 RDX on 19" wheels. The dealership is surrounded by really bad roads and both on the drive in and out I could tell my RDX did much worse. I didn't really push the car in terms of acceleration. And I didn't play with the infotainment at all (the infotainment is a low priority item for me).

Right now, if I had to buy an EV, it would be tough decision between the Model Y and the ID.4. I would like to try the Ariya before I make a decision, but I have no idea when they'll be releasing that. I'm thinking I should also give the XC40 a try even though I know that it is overpriced and the range is lousy.

Have any of you tried the ID.4? If so, what did you think of it?
The following 3 users liked this post by anoop:
EFR (11-08-2021), pilozm (11-09-2021), Waetherman (11-08-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
  • Road noise is pretty bad. I didn't even take it on the highway and I found it quite noisy even at 50 mph. It might be noisier than the RDX, although the RDX is pretty noisy too.

This to me alone would be a deal breaker. The test drive is going to be the quietest the car will ever be. From there, noise insulation breaks down, seals harden, tires wear ... the noise is only going to get louder. If you noticed it on a test drive, you're going to notice it every day. Many people don't realize it, but if you commute or drive long distances, road noise can really be quite draining and make the trip uncomfortable.

That being said, sorry to hijack your thread, but I was watching football today and saw a commercial for the new RDX. "There's a lot that could be said about the new RDX ... could be ... *prompt [Enough Said] on screen*". The wife asked WTF is wrong with me when I started screaming, "Oh yea, like your piece of shit interiors?!!" at the TV. LoL.
The following 5 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
anoop (11-07-2021), EFR (11-08-2021), ESHBG (11-08-2021), pilozm (11-09-2021), TheDatanator (07-19-2022)
Old 11-07-2021, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I would suggest give Mach-E a chance. I wanted to test drive the GT version, but saw local dealerships charging ADM so gave up the idea, but from what I read Mach-E is a well-rounded car if you can live with the somewhat bland interior and some wind/road noise.

MotorTrend just did a comparison test on ID4 and Mach-E lately.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-vs-vw-id4-ford-mustang-mach-e-electric-suv-comparison-test-review/

Last edited by sonyfever; 11-07-2021 at 10:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sonyfever:
anoop (11-07-2021), B25Nut (11-09-2021), pilozm (11-09-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Thanks for sharing. I would suggest give Mach-E a chance. I wanted to test drive the GT version, but saw local dealerships charging ADM so gave up the idea, but from what I read Mach-E is a well-rounded car if you can live with the somewhat bland interior and some wind/road noise.

MotorTrend just did a comparison test on ID4 and Mach-E lately.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
Thanks for the pointer to the review. I mostly check car and driver, so I missed this one.

I have sat in a Mach-E and it definitely feels more upscale than the ID.4. My 2 main concerns with the Mach-E are the ground clearance -- this is an SUV and you're going to have the bumper scraping parking stops (I thought I was done with that after my M-sport 328i) -- and what has been explained in some YouTube videos as a cooling system that will cause problems down the line because it has too many parts. Also, to really get a comfortable ride, you have to get the GT with the magneride suspension so price goes way up.

Anyway, I will see if I can find one to try.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (11-09-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
wait... you said life after the RDX, shouldn't you check out the RDX '22 first before you consider anything else? Unless you're just sick of the RDX over a long period of using it. I get that EV's are the way to go, but you also need to consider the payments for insurance as well. I found out the costs of insurance for Tesla, and was like.... what the hell, what's the point of saving gas if the cost for insurance is going to counteract that? Correct me if I'm wrong freely anyone.

See if the road noise improved on the refreshed RDX, the ride feel is supposed to have improved. Location of the wireless charger for RDX isn't going to make anyone happy honestly. So you may be satisfied with the ID.4.

PERSONALLY, (not to knock on what you find as pros), I really don't like the quality of the ID.4. The whole idea of the shift stick as a twist knob where the window wipers would be turned on from, is weird. It'll be a short learning curve yes, but I feel like it takes away from the car aspect. Although the same can be said from the KIA's knobs. To each their own right? There's a few other things that bother me but very subjective. Open to opinions!
anoop (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
This to me alone would be a deal breaker. The test drive is going to be the quietest the car will ever be. From there, noise insulation breaks down, seals harden, tires wear ... the noise is only going to get louder. If you noticed it on a test drive, you're going to notice it every day. Many people don't realize it, but if you commute or drive long distances, road noise can really be quite draining and make the trip uncomfortable.
Definitely agree with that sentiment, especially about road noise being draining and causing fatigue.

Perhaps the Audi Q4e which is based on the same drivetrain will address those issues, but that one isn't out yet. From the pictures on car and driver, the styling is a bit too ostentatious for my liking both inside and out. And in terms of ergonomics, they seem to have a 2-level dash design that's even worse than the RDX's (IMO, of course).
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1618346759.jpg
Old 11-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Too2ilent
wait... you said life after the RDX, shouldn't you check out the RDX '22 first before you consider anything else? Unless you're just sick of the RDX over a long period of using it. I get that EV's are the way to go, but you also need to consider the payments for insurance as well. I found out the costs of insurance for Tesla, and was like.... what the hell, what's the point of saving gas if the cost for insurance is going to counteract that? Correct me if I'm wrong freely anyone.
I'm not sick of the RDX, just concerned about reliability (the ownership experience in terms of things that needed to be fixed so far has been on par or worse than I experienced with BMW).

As far as getting another RDX --

I don't like the square tail pipes in the 2022s. Getting away from that requires going A-spec or PMC and I don't like the red/white gauges. And there's the poor mpg. All these negatives starts to add up especially since I do prefer to go hybrid/electric at this time. Put another way, if there were a few things that I really like about the RDX, this might have been tempting, but as it stands, it's not an exciting option.

The high insurance rate appears to be Tesla-specific. There was discussion about this in one of the other forums and someone that bought a different EV had their insurance drop compared to their gas car.

Last edited by anoop; 11-07-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Too2ilent (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm not sick of the RDX, just concerned about reliability (the ownership experience in terms of things that needed to be fixed so far has been on par or worse than I experienced with BMW).

As far as getting another RDX --

I don't like the square tail pipes in the 2022s. Getting away from that requires going A-spec or PMC and I don't like the red/white gauges. And there's the poor mpg. All these negatives starts to add up especially since I do prefer to go hybrid/electric at this time. Put another way, if there were a few things that I really like about the RDX, this might have been tempting, but as it stands, it's not an exciting option.

The high insurance rate appears to be Tesla-specific. There was discussion about this in one of the other forums and someone that bought a different EV had their insurance drop compared to their gas car.
Very fair point. there's all the factors of sacrificing one like over another like in each package. At least they offer an A-spec Tech pkg compared to the A-spec Adv pkg. Two ways to get the round pipes over rectangular. There's also the power folding mirrors to hold in consideration, and the remote start... I personally don't like the red/white gauges as well. But got into an incident recently and need a new car. RDX is my closest likeable car at its price point. It's definitely as you said considering you're already coming from it, other cars can definitely be more exciting from your standpoint.
Also, thanks on the note on other EV's having different insurance rates compared to the Tesla, didn't do my due diligence on research on that. But good to know!

Last edited by Too2ilent; 11-08-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:54 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I don’t understand the lack of shade for sunroof in Tesla and ID4. For me, that’s a deal breaker; I won’t buy a car that doesn’t have a shade. I was driving with family this weekend and the backseat passengers (MIL and my kid) were really uncomfortable with the sun, so I closed the shade. Not having that option is ridiculous.

If I were buying an electric SUV now (which I may be soon) I would go with the Rivian R1S. Ticks all the boxes for me. And if I didn’t need an SUV I’d probably go with the Polestar 2. I won’t buy a Tesla because of 1) all the quality issues and 2) Musk.

Last edited by Waetherman; 11-08-2021 at 08:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waetherman:
Jim7707 (11-08-2021), pilozm (11-09-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Too2ilent

See if the road noise improved on the refreshed RDX, the ride feel is supposed to have improved. Location of the wireless charger for RDX isn't going to make anyone happy honestly. So you may be satisfied with the ID.4.

PERSONALLY, (not to knock on what you find as pros), I really don't like the quality of the ID.4. The whole idea of the shift stick as a twist knob where the window wipers would be turned on from, is weird. It'll be a short learning curve yes, but I feel like it takes away from the car aspect. Although the same can be said from the KIA's knobs. To each their own right? There's a few other things that bother me but very subjective. Open to opinions!
It seems anoop is having similar build quality issues as I am with the RDX. With all the other issues he's had, another Acura would be the last vehicle on my list to replace it if I were in the market, if on the list at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
TheDatanator (07-14-2022), Too2ilent (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I don’t understand the lack of shade for sunroof in Tesla and ID4. For me, that’s a deal breaker; I won’t buy a car that doesn’t have a shade. I was driving with family this weekend and the backseat passengers (MIL and my kid) were really uncomfortable with the sun, so I closed the shade. Not having that option is ridiculous.

If I were buying an electric SUV now (which I may be soon) I would go with the Rivian R1S. Ticks all the boxes for me. And if I didn’t need an SUV I’d probably go with the Polestar 2. I won’t buy a Tesla because of 1) all the quality issues and 2) Musk.
The ID.4 does have a shade but it is sort of a very fine mesh, kind of like pantyhose. So it's not 100% opaque like, e.g., the RDX's.

I have heard in other forums that Tesla's glass actually does a very good job of rejecting heat. Even in Phoenix summers, the cabin cools down nicely once the AC is on.

The R1S is not yet available, it costs a lot more, and it's a lot bigger.

The Polestar 2 is not yet available for test drive in my area.

Last edited by anoop; 11-08-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:02 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Yeah, both of those vehicles are in the "coming soon" category but I think they might be worth waiting for. I realize Rivian is waaaay more expensive than ID4, so it's not really a fair comparison but it has that 300+ range that I need as a minimum. Also looks so much better!

I did see a Polestar 2 on the street the other day, and it looked pretty sharp. When I researched it, I was surprised at how affordable it is. Trying to convince my dad to get one...
Old 11-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Let's also not forget that GV70 will have EV version I think in first half of the year. Model Y non-performance estimated delivery time is already into June!
anoop (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Let's also not forget that GV70 will have EV version I think in first half of the year. Model Y non-performance estimated delivery time is already into June!
Interesting. I'm just hearing about this for the first time.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We're very happy with our 2019 RDX and very likely will keep it for 10 years. The RDX is my wife's car and I got her 2006 Lexus RX, which I have replaced in August from a final list of three vehicles. The first was the new Toyota Venza, but after driving one it felt as aged as the RX. The Genesis GV80 really called my name but after seeing it in person there wasn't enough difference between it and the RDX to justify the $25K net difference in price compared to it and my preferred choice, the Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range. I have never been happier with my choice of cars. The Mach-E is a perfect compliment to our RDX, which will still be our long range vehicle. The ultimate quiet ride was one major thing I was looking for with the GV80, and the Mach-E comes very close to that. It has 270 miles of range and will do 0-60 in 4.8 sec. It's cargo capacity feels like the same as the RDX.
Ford has been very conservative in the area of cooling for the EV's battery to insure it maintains its expected lifetime. Concern about the mechanics of the system is just speculative. Unless you plan on major off-roading, ground clearance has not been a problem with bumper stops and curbs. Ford has done an even better job than Tesla with keeping solar heat out of the interior from its panoramic roof, and my insurance for the Mach-E is less than our RDX when it was new. I charge it once a week using mainly our home solar panels. As you can probably tell, I highly recommend the new "Mustang".

The following 4 users liked this post by B25Nut:
anoop (11-09-2021), pilozm (11-10-2021), sonyfever (11-09-2021), Vince D (11-10-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 07:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by B25Nut
Ford has been very conservative in the area of cooling for the EV's battery to insure it maintains its expected lifetime. Concern about the mechanics of the system is just speculative. Unless you plan on major off-roading, ground clearance has not been a problem with bumper stops and curbs. Ford has done an even better job than Tesla with keeping solar heat out of the interior from its panoramic roof, and my insurance for the Mach-E is less than our RDX when it was new. I charge it once a week using mainly our home solar panels. As you can probably tell, I highly recommend the new "Mustang".
Thanks for sharing your experience about the parking stops and heat from the sunroof. Good to know.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
We're very happy with our 2019 RDX and very likely will keep it for 10 years. The RDX is my wife's car and I got her 2006 Lexus RX, which I have replaced in August from a final list of three vehicles. The first was the new Toyota Venza, but after driving one it felt as aged as the RX. The Genesis GV80 really called my name but after seeing it in person there wasn't enough difference between it and the RDX to justify the $25K net difference in price compared to it and my preferred choice, the Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range. I have never been happier with my choice of cars. The Mach-E is a perfect compliment to our RDX, which will still be our long range vehicle. The ultimate quiet ride was one major thing I was looking for with the GV80, and the Mach-E comes very close to that. It has 270 miles of range and will do 0-60 in 4.8 sec. It's cargo capacity feels like the same as the RDX.
I seriously considered buying a Mustang Mach-e when my RDX was hit, but those "supply chains" were holding me back, as well the desire to not buy another first year car. (Like I did with the '19 RDX) I lucked out when I found the Corsair available in my color combo with the desired equip available on the lot in late April '21. I have put ~15,000 miles on it in 6 months with no complaints! Maybe when I am ready to replace the Corsair I will again consider the Mustang M-e

Thank you for your report!
Old 11-10-2021, 07:14 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Mach-E is getting hard looks from me but I’m concerned about the cargo space. Flying Fortress (?) notwithstanding, it looks more cramped than the RDX especially with the 2nd row up. Also I don’t think the Mach-E has much of a frunk, does it?

aside: what is that symbol on the side?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Mach-E

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Mach-E is getting hard looks from me but I’m concerned about the cargo space. Flying Fortress (?) notwithstanding, it looks more cramped than the RDX especially with the 2nd row up. Also I don’t think the Mach-E has much of a frunk, does it?

aside: what is that symbol on the side?
The Mach-E has 29 cu.ft. behind the rear seats, versus 30 for the RDX. It comes with a cargo cover attached to the rear hatch which can restrict the volume, but that was the first thing I eliminated. The model is a 7' wingspan B-25H Mitchell, done in the Navy's PBJ-1H version. The ID.4 doesn't have a frunk, the Mach-E does. The Mach-E is significantly larger than the Corsair, which is one reason I checked the Corsair off my list.
The symbol is related to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. Watching this short video will explain it:

Old 11-10-2021, 01:58 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Oh -- that frunk is larger than I remembered. Hope your Mach-E doesn't turn on you...
Old 11-10-2021, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

As explained by Alex on Autos the ID.4 designers chose to forego the frunk and instead add a few inches in the rear. Both the Tesla and the Mach-E are longer than the ID.4 and yet the ID.4 has comparable storage space and that's because it deletes the inches from the front and puts a fraction of those back in the rear where they can be utilized more efficiently (entire height of the car).
Old 11-10-2021, 04:10 PM
Instructor

I actually have never used the frunk and may never do so, I think Ford included it so that people couldn't say "but the Tesla has a frunk". I feel VW's decision was a good one and that the Model Y is an excellent vehicle, but the Mach-E is still a better choice overall, especially if you like to stand out from the crowd.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I actually have never used the frunk and may never do so, I think Ford included it so that people couldn't say "but the Tesla has a frunk". I feel VW's decision was a good one and that the Model Y is an excellent vehicle, but the Mach-E is still a better choice overall, especially if you like to stand out from the crowd.
I think they are hard to compare. Both have plusses and minuses and, at least for me, it's hard to pick a clear winner. Some examples:
  • I think the tech is better with Tesla.
  • Looks are a toss up and sometimes I prefer the simplicity of the Tesla, sometimes the catching design of the looks better.
  • I prefer the simplicity of the ordering process and options with Tesla and that I don't have to deal with a traditional dealer.
  • Tesla's charging network is a big plus.
  • You have to get premium with Mach-E to get IIHS TSP+.
  • Only one keyfob with the Mach-E.
  • Better MPGe with the Tesla, which means cheaper to run it.
  • Higher insurance cost with Tesla.
  • Tesla seats are more comfortable for me.
  • I don't care for the unconventional door handles on either one.
And so on...
Old 11-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Instructor

When I first saw photos of the door handles, my thought was "what is Ford thinking?". After actually using them, I feel Ford has developed that easiest and fastest way to enter a vehicle. Not having an instrument cluster in front of me is a major factor that steered me away from Tesla (along with Tesla not having a federal tax credit at the time).
anoop (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

When I first saw photos of the door handles, my thought was "what is Ford thinking?". After actually using them, I feel Ford has developed that easiest and fastest way to enter a vehicle. Not having an instrument cluster in front of me is a major factor that steered me away from Tesla (along with Tesla not having a federal tax credit at the time).
To me, they look like new ways to hurt yourself in a moment of clumsiness. Maybe I would think differently after actually using it.

I think the lack of an instrument cluster in front of the steering is OK. I think the Prius and even the older Yaris had a similar setup.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

A nice comparison of the all the EV SUVs - VW/Q4e/Enyaq, Mach E, Model Y, iX3, Ioniq 5.
Spoiler: Mach E came out on top.
B25Nut (12-30-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
If you dont like 19-21 RDX, I would not get 22. Not much has changed, maybe better infoteinment, but its the same car for must part.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by russianDude
If you dont like 19-21 RDX, I would not get 22. Not much has changed, maybe better infoteinment, but its the same car for must part.
Have they changed the way maps get updated?
Old 12-23-2021, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Have they changed the way maps get updated?
No idea. Makes no financial sense to me to trade in 19-21 generation for 22 just to get couple of of insignificant improvements.
maybe if you got lease coming up…
Old 12-28-2021, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
Funny thing, the ID4 was actually the reason we got the RDX! Was car shopping and looking at a bunch of full EVs, PHEVs, and hybrids. Volvo XC40 Recharge, CRV hybrid, RAV4 Prime, Chevy Bolt, Ford Mustang. Stopped by the VW dealer and was somewhat unimpressed with the interior and material qualities. The Acura dealer was right next door so we decided to pop over. Instantly fell in love with the RDX, not to mention the dealer was willing to do $5k under msrp. Unheard of at this time! We already have BEVs as our dailies and wanted to replace our 200k mile Odyssey so decided to forgo on the fuel efficiency.
B25Nut (12-30-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting. What model year was the RDX you got?
Old 12-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
I am considering selling my 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd for a hybrid or pure EV. Especially, given the EPA mandate to get 57mpg average by 2026 mfg's, USA is buying oil from Russia and OPEC with gas prices rising (no longer energy independent) and the fed throwing gobs of $$$ to push a EV America (similar to Europe). Acura/Honda need Hybrids in all of their line ups and then move over to EV's. The 2022 RDX is mostly a cosmetic refresh, as I didn't purchase the RDX to be gas efficient, however actual mileage is way off EPA. Wish the 2022 RDX had a 1.5T with a Hybrid that gave better performance and almost 2x the MPG's. That would be impressive!
Old 12-28-2021, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

2x mpg for RDX would be near impossible since even Toyota is barely there and Honda tends to not be as efficient but I think 30-35 mpg combined would have been easily doable.

There’s an article on Car and Driver saying Honda’s GM EV will be call Prologue (confirmed) and Acura version will be ADX (rumored name).
Old 12-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

When I think about it rationally, I don’t think EVs are there yet. It’s a great novelty and provides a different and enjoyable driving experience, but if you make long distance trips even occasionally you need a second gas/hybrid car or you will have to plan the whole trip around the EV which gets old real fast.

The sweet spot is a regular hybrid and certain plug in hybrids if most trips fit within all electric.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

They will never allow oil prices to be so high that everyone starts switching to electric. They are in business of selling oil, and will not allow this to happen.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
I am considering selling my 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd for a hybrid or pure EV. Especially, given the EPA mandate to get 57mpg average by 2026 mfg's, USA is buying oil from Russia and OPEC with gas prices rising (no longer energy independent) and the fed throwing gobs of $$$ to push a EV America (similar to Europe). Acura/Honda need Hybrids in all of their line ups and then move over to EV's. The 2022 RDX is mostly a cosmetic refresh, as I didn't purchase the RDX to be gas efficient, however actual mileage is way off EPA. Wish the 2022 RDX had a 1.5T with a Hybrid that gave better performance and almost 2x the MPG's. That would be impressive!
you got it wrong, 2026 is 40 MPG for fleet cars average. This does not impact personal vehicles.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

When I think about it rationally, I don’t think EVs are there yet. It’s a great novelty and provides a different and enjoyable driving experience, but if you make long distance trips even occasionally you need a second gas/hybrid car or you will have to plan the whole trip around the EV which gets old real fast.

The sweet spot is a regular hybrid and certain plug in hybrids if most trips fit within all electric.
Agree with the Hybrid stepping stone - more MFG's need to go that way super soon. If my RDX was a Hybrid - I'd be ecstatic.

True - the current lithium batteries are the weak spot due too: low range, range decreases outside the optimal battery temp, fire hazard if in a accident, long charging times and looses capacity over time. Once they get to a solid state battery, all those issues will be resolved and at 1/4 the size and weight. Then when you have a real world range of 350-450 miles with short charging times - it will be a game changer. However, were we get all the electricity in the USA will be a whole other issue - as most plants are run by gas, natural gas and coal. Not to sure a lot of states want a nuclear plants to be constructed. Wind and solar oil work in a dozen or so states. Problem is, when more people use electric for everything, the cost will rise quickly.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

you got it wrong, 2026 is 40 MPG for fleet cars average. This does not impact personal vehicles.
"The standards for model years 2023 to 2026, signed Monday morning by EPA Administrator Michael Regan, require that cars, SUVs and pickup trucks release an average of 161 grams of carbon dioxide per mile by 2026. The new Biden standards are equivalent to an average of roughly 55 miles per gallon by 2026 in laboratory testing. The average figure appearing on window stickers — and advertised EPA mileage — would be 40 mpg." - This includes personal vehicles - those are STEEP standard increases that no ICE engine will be able to meet solely on ICE.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

They will never allow oil prices to be so high that everyone starts switching to electric. They are in business of selling oil, and will not allow this to happen.
I would not bet on that. We are no where near ready to move to all electric - "In 2020, the electric share of new vehicle saleswas approximately 2.4%, an increase from about 2% in 2019." We are reliant on oil for the foreseeable future - and prices are 2x where they were 18 months ago when we were oil independent in the USA.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
"The standards for model years 2023 to 2026, signed Monday morning by EPA Administrator Michael Regan, require that cars, SUVs and pickup trucks release an average of 161 grams of carbon dioxide per mile by 2026. The new Biden standards are equivalent to an average of roughly 55 miles per gallon by 2026 in laboratory testing. The average figure appearing on window stickers — and advertised EPA mileage — would be 40 mpg." - This includes personal vehicles - those are STEEP standard increases that no ICE engine will be able to meet solely on ICE.
exactly, average figure on the sticker will be 40 mpg, but thats just average figure. Also, assuming its not repealed/delayed by next administration.
They will still sell cars bellow 40mpg, they might not get incentives, but there is no way they can ban sales under 40mpg

Last edited by russianDude; 12-28-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: test drove the ID.4