Roof Rails

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by idubbz
THanks for hilighting this! That's why I installed in second position ( a position) but the didn't explain why u couldn't use it.
may I ask why the rubber will bulge?

Also on the first page of instructions, doesn't it have a typo becuase it says to "only use b position when carrying larger cargo, but then when not using to return crossbars to b position " but it should say to "return to a position".

For sure if b position causes some malfunction as u say other than wind noise I'm less likely to do so.
I just looked at the instructions that came with my roof rails, and it says nothing about rubber bulging. The sole reason for not using the front set is because of wind noise. If this would cause the rubber to bulge (or any other kind of damage) why would they even offer it as an option? I use the front set of mounting because I mount my ski racks to the cross bars. The back set is too close for the bindings to fit between the racks.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura OEM Crossbars problem

Hi Dan,
first, i have the OEM crossbars and as long as the t-track rubber grommet is installed, there is no wind noise. With the rubber grommet removed they whistle like Porky the Pig giving a speech.

The issues with these crossbars are significant though.

Thule doesn't make a Fit Kit to adapt their 460r podium and aero bar to the RDX so i had to purchase the OEM from Acura. I am heavily invested in Thule, amusing since the OEM racks are almost certainly manufactured by Thule (my locks transferred straight across so i was able to maintain my one key system). There is a significant variance in price, so be sure to shop around, especially if you are in Canada. I ordered the bars from Maryland for just over half the price..

Problem 1 (minor) The feet use pins (unlike the Thule system) which complicates attaching and removing since one set of feet must be removed entirely to put the cross bar in place. This complicates attaching the rack in the dark or cold.
Problem 2 (also minor) The end pieces don't simply fold out of the way to insert the T Bolts into the T Track but rather have to be unscrewed using a small Torx wrench when the rack is disassmbled. pain in the butt.
But here is the main problem with the Acura OEM rack, and completely inexcusable. They changed the size of the T-Track so Thule and Yakima T Bolts won't fit! and Thule doesn't sell an aftermarket item to adapt the two. Did i mention that iIm heavily invested in Thule?

The solution was to take the T-Bots and grind them down to fit. This was a pain since it had to be by trial and error, took an hour or so to do 4 bolts. In retrospect, I wish I'd looked more closely at the Yakima cross bars since they do offer a fit kit, i just didn't want to spend the extra $500.

bottom line, no, I wouldn't recommend these cross bars.