RDX won't stop beeping!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
RDX won't stop beeping!

Hello,

I'm not sure what is going on, but after I shut off the ignition and walk away, my 21' RDX Aspec beeps once, then starts beeping continuously as if I left the key in the car or a door open, etc. I checked everything, and all seems fine. The only thing I did do recently was add a carbon fiber key fob cover, but I don't see why that would cause issues. This has never happened before, and I have no idea how to fix the issue. My car doesn't want to lock as a result.

Has anyone had this issue? What might be causing it?
Old 06-22-2022, 08:01 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Your exiting the car too fast for the walkaway to engage. You have to wait until the dash animation ends then exit the car and when it pings the fob after the allotted distance it will just lock.
if u park jump out n leave it will beep to let u know its not ready
Old 06-22-2022, 08:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Type X
Your exiting the car too fast for the walkaway to engage. You have to wait until the dash animation ends then exit the car and when it pings the fob after the allotted distance it will just lock.
if u park jump out n leave it will beep to let u know its not ready
Ok, I will wait longer and see if that solves the problem. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:30 AM
Pro

So, it's still beeping. I am wondering if it's the result of putting a real carbon fiber case on the keyfob. Maybe it's blocking the signal? I am going to take it off and see if I still have the issue after work. Just frustrating since it wasn't cheap!
Old 06-23-2022, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I am betting its the carbon fiber case.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:45 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
So, it's still beeping. I am wondering if it's the result of putting a real carbon fiber case on the keyfob. Maybe it's blocking the signal? I am going to take it off and see if I still have the issue after work. Just frustrating since it wasn't cheap!
my buddy at the dealer says some guys put the engine start button covers (not the fobs) and it will sometimes block the immobilizer or signals so maybe it is the cover . Try to get in and out using the driver 2 key if its coverless
Old 06-23-2022, 04:31 PM
Pro

It was the carbon fiber case.

Does anyone on here use a key fob cover? If so, which one? Any recommendations?
Old 06-23-2022, 06:32 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

You say it was the carbon case that was causing it to beep? I guess I don't understand how that or any case could cause multiple beeps. I was thinking maybe you had a door or hatch that was slightly ajar or a window that wasn't fully up. I have a similar situation where I walk away, a beep occurs which I assume is the auto lock, and the some rapid fire beeps. It does it sometimes, most times it doesn't. I would have taken it to the dealer but since it's intermittent I would have got a 'problem not found' from them and wasted a day. Don't know what the problem is, and really don't care anymore. I do have a case which is a soft plastic/rubber thing from Amazon.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:43 PM
Pro

Apparently, the case that I have ($50 carbon fiber case) has graphite in it, which can block the signal. So, I'm guessing the signal wasn't communicating properly with the vehicle when the case was on. I did take it off, and I haven't had the issue since. I am going to keep an eye on it though.

The beeps did consist of the 1 beep, then rapid fire beeps like stated above.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using a silicone cover and have had no problems. The only issue is that you need to punch 3 tiny holes if you still want to see the remote lock/start indicator lights.

Silicone remote covers
Old 06-23-2022, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
If you have "walk away auto lock" (WAAL) turned on, it will do that, (lock the car) unless you walk away from the car too quickly. It will beep once to confirm that it has locked. The rapid fire beeping, I think 7 times, is to alert you that it HASN''T locked. If you don't want this, turn off the WAAL feature. It is easy to walk away too quickly if you head off perpendicular to your car, thus quickly exiting the sensing field.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:25 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I didn't know there was a 'walked away too quickly' aspect to this. The essence of the auto lock (which I have set to 'yes') is to beep once as I get about 5 feet or so away, indicating it locked, and that always happens. With that part of the function complete, I don't understand why there would be any additional 'beeps' as the locking action has already occurred, regardless of how fast I move away, what cover I have on my fob, etc....and it still locked anyway as far as I know but I will verify next time it happens. I may try removing that silicone cover to see what happens....can't imagine that has any bearing, on anything, but who knows. As well, the additional rapid beeps don't always happen, and the cover is always there. As noted previously, at first I assume it was a window or door not fully closed but no the case. We used to have a 528 BMW that when you pushed 'lock' on the fob the car would have some beeping or something if a door or window was not fully closed, which was a good warning about that condition.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
With that part of the function complete, I don't understand why there would be any additional 'beeps' as the locking action has already occurred, regardless of how fast I move away, what cover I have on my fob, etc....and it still locked anyway as far as I know but I will verify next time it happens. I may try removing that silicone cover to see what happens....can't imagine that has any bearing, on anything, but who knows. As well, the additional rapid beeps don't always happen, and the cover is always there. As noted previously, at first I assume it was a window or door not fully closed but no the case. We used to have a 528 BMW that when you pushed 'lock' on the fob the car would have some beeping or something if a door or window was not fully closed, which was a good warning about that condition.
I have attached an image of a Honda article that helps to explain what is happening. The image may be difficult to read on a small screen, so here is a LINK to the PDF file.

The mirrors on my RDX will fold in at the same time the doors lock, so it is easy for me to confirm from a distance that my doors are actually locked.

Like you, the automatic locking works perfectly 95% of the time, but when I hear the rapid beeping and look back at the RDX, the doors have not locked (confirmed by looking at the mirrors). This usually happens when I exit the vehicle and walk away quickly. For example I usually turn off the engine and undo my seatbelt before opening the door and exiting. Other times I have the door already open, and turn off the engine while swinging my legs outside, ready to start walking. As the article says, if you are beyond the range of the FOB before the RDX can sense it being outside, the beeps will occur.

As the article says, placing the FOB very close to a cell phone can also interfere with the signal, so that the RDX cannot see the FOB outside the vehicle. I know this for a fact because I cannot unlock my doors if the FOB is in the pocket beside my phone.

In the case of the OP with his Carbon Fiber key cover, it seems that the carbon fiber reduced the range of the FOB from the normal 5 feet to perhaps only 1 foot. That placed it "out of range" very quickly as he walked away, before the RDX could sense it outside the vehicle. The FOB would still work for unlocking the doors and starting the engine because it would be located much close to those sensors. However he more than likely is experiencing reduced range for remote unlocking of the doors, or remote engine starting as well.

Next time the beeping occurs for you, place your FOB down at least 10 feet from the RDX, and go back and test that the doors are locked. I'm betting you will find that they did not lock.

By the way, I use a silicone cover which has zero effect on radio transmissions.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 06-24-2022 at 05:11 PM.
EFR (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 08:56 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Well, isn't that interesting. I have had it happen once today, and that was the case...the doors were not locked. I check it once more to confirm but I am sure what you describe is the case. First, thank you, that was very helpful. That I was walking away thinking the doors were locked but weren't is quite frankly, kind of scary (radar detector, dash cam, and who knows what else might be in there at any given time. I don't have folding mirrors (2019) so I wouldn't have any easy visual confirmation. I might just change the auto lock feature back to using the fob. Again, thank you RDX-Rick.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:21 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
. I might just change the auto lock feature back to using the fob. Again, thank you RDX-Rick.
The automatic locking feature is useful, and now that you are aware of how it works, you can probably avoid the problem in the future. Just make sure that you are still within the range of the FOB when the last door is closed. This is especially a problem if the liftgate is the last door to be closed, or if a passenger closes his door last.

If you consider that the edge of an open door is already 2-3 feet from the vehicle, and if I swing the door closed with an outstretched arm (another 3 feet), my body (and the FOB in my pocket) are already more than 5' away when the door closes. You just need to get in the habit of closing the door while standing nearby until you hear the single beep. Then you can walk away knowing that the doors will lock on their own. Just always be alert to the sound of rapid beeping.

If your RDX has the lights under the mirrors that come on as you approach the vehicle, you can get an idea of the range of the FOB. You will also notice that the angle you approach from also affects the distance before the lights will activate.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
What is the point of the fob cover? I remember years ago when I bought a new Lexus they gave me leather key fob covers. I thought they were ugly, so I took them off.
Showkey (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 05:57 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

For me, it is hope that dropping it or whatever, the fob won't break or suffer some other sort of damage. At the price they charge for new fob's I have no interest in getting a new one. Also, my fob cover is one of the silicone ones and is in bright red. If I drop my keys between the seat and center console in a black interior vehicle, the red helps it stand out so I can find the keys easier. The trials and tribulations of being 65!