RDX vs Audi Q3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ender519
I'm a little curious actually why anyone relies on those built in nav systems. That's not to show any disdain, everyone has reasons, so no offense to anyone that cares deeply about that feature. Personally, since I have Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze at my disposal, all with far superior traffic routing and real-time map updates that don't cost any money or take any time to install, it's hard to understand the allure of built-in nav. I haven't seen any of them on any car that holds a candle to what is already on your phone and accessible via CarPlay or Android Auto. In the case of the RDX the nav system is alright, better than the one that was on my Ford but it's not terribly impressive and certainly does not have the traffic awareness that my phone does. About the only positive I can see right now is that it has the directions on the Head-Up Display on my RDX but other than that, I'm not sure why I'd use it. Maybe if cell signal was really bad and it was that or nothing?
If you are somewhere new and you have set your home location, it is easy to click the home option. I have used it to see if it worked and used Carplay with Apple Maps, Waze, and Google Maps just to see if they work. The nav is no easier to use than Apple/Waze/Google maps (and does most things way worse) but I don't even use those unless I am lost. I agree with you - if there was a nav delete option that saved a few bucks, I would have taken it.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fogdoctor
If you are somewhere new and you have set your home location, it is easy to click the home option. I have used it to see if it worked and used Carplay with Apple Maps, Waze, and Google Maps just to see if they work. The nav is no easier to use than Apple/Waze/Google maps (and does most things way worse) but I don't even use those unless I am lost. I agree with you - if there was a nav delete option that saved a few bucks, I would have taken it.
All of the phone based options have "Home" and "Work" and other locations available too for easy use. To me, I'd go a step further on ease of use and say, I'd have to go out of my way to use the built-in nav in almost every instance except one in which I want to go "Home" and even at best the process is about the same effort without the benefit of fully up to date maps or traffic info. Honestly, if I had the option I would have forgone the built-in nav so I agree with you there, but Acura like all other manufacturers basically forces you into it if you want the higher trim. I wanted HUD and ventilated seats so I had to go for Advance trim. When the updates are no longer free for the built-in nav I can't see myself spending $200+ each year for the update.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ender519
All of the phone based options have "Home" and "Work" and other locations available too for easy use. To me, I'd go a step further on ease of use and say, I'd have to go out of my way to use the built-in nav in almost every instance except one in which I want to go "Home" and even at best the process is about the same effort without the benefit of fully up to date maps or traffic info. Honestly, if I had the option I would have forgone the built-in nav so I agree with you there, but Acura like all other manufacturers basically forces you into it if you want the higher trim. I wanted HUD and ventilated seats so I had to go for Advance trim. When the updates are no longer free for the built-in nav I can't see myself spending $200+ each year for the update.
I'm certainly not going to update the map. I don't even use it now! I would give them the map back for $200

With this Acura I wanted the fancy seats and HUD as well so I just got the advance package and that had all the other stuff.

Subaru used to do the same thing. If you wanted Eyesight (which is fantastic by the way) you had to get nav. I think you get Eyesight standard now but when I got mine it was part of a $3500 package that included a ton of stuff I did not care about.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
For one thing, carplay screws up too much. Since it randomly reboots on me, I can’t really rely on carplay as much as I should be able to.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Well, after waiting over a year for the 2019/2020 Q3 to come out, it finally did. Although the RDX had some advantages over the Q3, I ended up getting a Q3, mainly because I hated the RDX navigation system.
Great choice! The Q3 was high on my list too but it took forever to be released. Audizine is a great source for information, however the Q3 section is rather sparse. Hopefully that changes now that the 2020 Q3 is finally hitting the showroom floors.
Are you happy with the performance? The SQ3 would be more to my liking.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I test drive both Q3 and RDX I like the Q3 dashboard better. But in terms of ride quality and price RDX is better choice.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:00 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
We almost bought the new Q3, the dash is nice (especially the full lcd one), the car looks great, drove ok.
My wife found the back seats to be cramped in the Q3 (also the hump on the floor is annoying). We have a baby, so she ended up sitting at the back during the TD, rejected it immediately (and she likes Audi's, mostly their looks, I think). Also the fancy dash is only on the top trim (in Canada), which gets expensive.
I also did not like the fact that the pano roof does not have a proper shade, I hate the translucent cloth like shade in all the German cars. In general, I am not a fan of the pano roof (wife and baby likes it), but they all come with it these days, but atleast in the RDX there is a proper shade.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by itsardx
We almost bought the new Q3, the dash is nice (especially the full lcd one), the car looks great, drove ok.
My wife found the back seats to be cramped in the Q3 (also the hump on the floor is annoying). We have a baby, so she ended up sitting at the back during the TD, rejected it immediately (and she likes Audi's, mostly their looks, I think). Also the fancy dash is only on the top trim (in Canada), which gets expensive.
I also did not like the fact that the pano roof does not have a proper shade, I hate the translucent cloth like shade in all the German cars. In general, I am not a fan of the pano roof (wife and baby likes it), but they all come with it these days, but atleast in the RDX there is a proper shade.
I’m not a fan of those semi-opaque cloth shades. It gets very hot here. I had one car with that and 2 years later I ordered the same but without the moonroof just because I couldn’t stand the sun coming through it.

I think the Q3 is tighter and more sprightly than the RDX but there is no comparison when it comes to comfort and luxury—RDX wins.