RDX snow performance (turning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022 | 09:58 AM
Pro

RDX snow performance (turning)

Hello,

So, this is my first winter with the RDX Aspec SH-AWD. I haven't had much snow to play in this year (storms kept missing us), but I've noticed that it really wants to slide around when turning, even at really low speeds. I now anticipate sliding while turning at intersections, and it never seems to disappoint. I do have the stock RSA's, and will definitely be investing in snow tires for next winter. Is this just due to the crappy RSA's, or does this vehicle like to move around?

Prior to the RDX, I had a 17' CX-5, and that seemed much more stable in the snow to me with stock tires (Toyo's).

Anyone else experience what I am?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2022 | 10:11 AM
Instructor

This is almost certainly a tire issue. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

The A-Spec in particular has wider tires (255 width vs. 235 width on the other trims) which makes driving on the snow even worse because the vehicle's weight is being distributed over a larger contact patch which makes it less effective at "cutting" through snow and finding grip.

I don't have an RDX, but the OEM tires on the TLX aren't very good either and are, at best, mediocre in the snow based on my driving experiences so far. I've found that the TLX has similar issues to what you're experiencing as it skids/plows through corners pretty consistently unless I slow down more than I've had to in other vehicles I've driven in the snow that were running better tires.

It's not uncommon for OE tires that come on vehicles (across many brands) to be lacking in performance/capability, unfortunately. I'd imagine your CX-5 did better, even on OE tires, because they were skinnier (225 width). While the RDX's tires are "only" 30mm wider on the A-Spec, it can make an appreciable difference. It's also possible the Toyo tires on the CX-5 are generally better than what's on your RDX as well.

Last edited by norsairius; 02-25-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2022 | 10:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by norsairius
This is almost certainly a tire issue. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

The A-Spec in particular has wider tires (255 width vs. 235 width on the other trims) which makes driving on the snow even worse because the vehicle's weight is being distributed over a larger contact patch which makes it less effective at "cutting" through snow and finding grip.

I don't have an RDX, but the OEM tires on the TLX aren't very good either and are, at best, mediocre in the snow based on my driving experiences so far. I've found that the TLX has similar issues to what you're experiencing as it skids/plows through corners pretty consistently unless I slow down more than I've had to in other vehicles I've driven in the snow that were running better tires.

It's not uncommon for OE tires that come on vehicles (across many brands) to be lacking in performance/capability, unfortunately. I'd imagine your CX-5 did better, even on OE tires, because they were skinnier (225 width). While the RDX's tires are "only" 30mm wider on the A-Spec, it can make an appreciable difference. It's also possible the Toyo tires on the CX-5 are generally better than what's on your RDX as well.
That totally makes sense. I forget that the Aspec has wider tires. I will get some winter tires for next year, and hopefully that will solve this issue.

Thanks much!
Old 02-25-2022 | 10:58 AM
Pro

The GSA’s are not great in winter. I replaced mine with Michelin CC2’s. Also use snow mode.
The following users liked this post:
oblio98 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022 | 11:18 AM
Advanced

We just had a snow storm last night and I was out with my 22 aspec/advance and had no issues at all. I was even trying to make is slide around and it wouldn't I was very impressed. This has the stock tires from the dealer when purchased new.
Old 02-25-2022 | 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hello,

So, this is my first winter with the RDX Aspec SH-AWD. I haven't had much snow to play in this year (storms kept missing us), but I've noticed that it really wants to slide around when turning, even at really low speeds. I now anticipate sliding while turning at intersections, and it never seems to disappoint. I do have the stock RSA's, and will definitely be investing in snow tires for next winter. Is this just due to the crappy RSA's, or does this vehicle like to move around?

Prior to the RDX, I had a 17' CX-5, and that seemed much more stable in the snow to me with stock tires (Toyo's).

Thanks!
No issues driving in fresh snow, just put her in "Snow" mode and she will tractor on. My 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd just motors on. Tires are so-so, but work well enough in snow. Sliding a bit while turning? How fast are you going, deep snow or ice base? Lots of factors. A little power mid turn drive you in the direction you want to go - as the power to all wheels is amazing.
Old 02-25-2022 | 11:59 AM
Member who's Registered

I definitely agree with the OP... the RSAs are not good for winter use. At least, not on hard-packed, icy snow. They're fine in a straight line, but I was quite surprised how bad they are turning on icy corners. When we bought our RDX a couple of weeks ago, we decided to put off buying a winter tire/wheel set until this Fall. That'll still be the plan, but I'm definitely not going through a full winter with the RSAs!
Old 02-25-2022 | 12:25 PM
OG

Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hello,

Thanks!
ita the garbage rsas
i swapped mine for cc2’s and its night n day difference

ODDLY though on a sweeping highway exit my 2017 crv hugged the road better with h&r springs the rdx if you floor it on a turn will grip like a beast but when your off and on the pedal it fights you a bit
The following users liked this post:
TheLevelOne (02-26-2022)
Old 02-25-2022 | 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Type X
ita the garbage rsas
i swapped mine for cc2’s and its night n day difference

ODDLY though on a sweeping highway exit my 2017 crv hugged the road better with h&r springs the rdx if you floor it on a turn will grip like a beast but when your off and on the pedal it fights you a bit
This isn't odd. It's a 58/42 dist. vehicle. It needs on-throttle.
Old 02-26-2022 | 07:01 PM
Advanced

You get a bunch of under steer off throttle into the turn and then oversteer push as you accelerate through. Tires will help some. But is honestly a characteristic of the RDX. You basically need to be on throttle at all times with the SH awd.
Old 02-26-2022 | 07:43 PM
Racer