RDX instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022 | 06:42 PM
DotNetWarrior

Exclamation RDX instrument cluster

Hi All -
I'm new to the forum, and hope this makes it to the RDX Forum.

Anyhow, I have a 2020 RDX advance and have been experiencing an odd behavior regarding the instrument cluster.

More specificaly, whenever I drive through an underpass, or through a moderately shaded section of road, my instrument cluster dims considerably. All this while driving during daytime hours. I double check that the headlights have not automatically turned on--to no avail. When back in brighter conditions, it returns to normal; however, this behavior seems counter to what it should be doing.

The owners' manual (p.351) under "Vehicle/Lighting Setup/Auto Interior Illumination Sensitivity" allows for changing the sensitivity, however, this doesn't help much, maybe just a little?

My question is: have any of you guys experienced this? Probably a software bug, but wanted to see if this is an isolated situation before confronting the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2022 | 07:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rasch
Hi All -

Anyhow, I have a 2020 RDX advance and have been experiencing an odd behavior regarding the instrument cluster.

More specificaly, whenever I drive through an underpass, or through a moderately shaded section of road, my instrument cluster dims considerably. All this while driving during daytime hours. I double check that the headlights have not automatically turned on--to no avail. When back in brighter conditions, it returns to normal; however, this behavior seems counter to what it should be doing.

The owners' manual (p.351) under "Vehicle/Lighting Setup/Auto Interior Illumination Sensitivity" allows for changing the sensitivity, however, this doesn't help much, maybe just a little?

My question is: have any of you guys experienced this? Probably a software bug, but wanted to see if this is an isolated situation before confronting the dealer.

Thanks!
Happens in my 2022 occasionally. Also happened in my 2019 Lexus NX.
Old 10-19-2022 | 07:35 PM
Pro

Hi All -
When you say "I double check that the headlights have not automatically turned on--to no avail.", do you mean that your check was "of no avail" (i.e. you couldn't confirm if the lights were on or off) , or did you actually confirm that the lights had not turned on?

Have you noticed the map also switches to nighttime mode?
Is the lighting control in the AUTO position?

My RDX does this frequently when travelling under an underpass, especially on cloudy days, and especially if traffic is moving slowly. I expect that speed is a factor, because the RDX needs to see darkness for a certain period to prevent the lights from flashing when driving down roads which have multiple shadows from trees or buildings.

In my case I can see the green headlight icon illuminate on the cluster (as well as the green fog light icon), and I can often see my headlights reflecting off the car ahead.

Since you said it does this "whenever I drive through an underpass", a simple test is to switch the auto headlights to off and see if that is the cause.
Old 10-20-2022 | 10:14 AM
Pro

Hi All -

Thanks!
Happened on my 19 RDX Aspec as well as my current 2022 MDX Type S Advance. To me it’s normal that it dims when it thinks the outside lighting is dark as you don’t need as much illumination inside the vehicle when it’s dark outside. This is a designed behavior.
Old 10-24-2022 | 12:49 PM
Intermediate

mine does this as well, and I have encountered a couple of times where it did not return to normal brightness, leaving me with everything super dim and basically unusable. Toggling the headlights make no difference as well!