Panoramic Sunroof Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Jennifer Star
Did Acura fix this for you? The exact same thing happened to me yesterday - 9-13-2020 in a 2019 RDX. They're trying to tell me I have to go through insurance.
Please also file a complaint with the NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
I read about people discussing "glass coverage" as being different than "comprehensive". That must be limited to certain states. Here in Texas, all glass is covered under comprehensive through every insurance company.
In some states windshield glass is covered with no deductible, by law. Otherwise, it's covered under comprehensive with the applicable deductible.

Dunno about other glass.
zroger73 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
In some states windshield glass is covered with no deductible, by law. Otherwise, it's covered under comprehensive with the applicable deductible.

Dunno about other glass.
In IL it's covered under comprehensive, which I have always had $0 deductible on. I wonder if the states that require it have higher premiums.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
In IL it's covered under comprehensive, which I have always had $0 deductible on. I wonder if the states that require it have higher premiums.
It is certainly possible. However, it is very hard to compare insurance rates, as they vary by so many different criteria. Zip code, driver's credit rating, how many miles the owner drives, driver's age, make and model of car, insurance company, etc.etc.etc.

In AZ it is called "safety glass" coverage, I believe, and it is not mandatory that drivers have that coverage, it is mandatory that insurance companies offer it, and it is usually a very low premium addition.
zroger73 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
It is certainly possible. However, it is very hard to compare insurance rates, as they vary by so many different criteria. Zip code, driver's credit rating, how many miles the owner drives, driver's age, make and model of car, insurance company, etc.etc.etc.

In AZ it is called "safety glass" coverage, I believe, and it is not mandatory that drivers have that coverage, it is mandatory that insurance companies offer it, and it is usually a very low premium addition.
your right about that, my insurance rate double when I moved to Colorado from Minnesota, just more drivers, more vehicle thefts, more accidents, road debris, etc
Old 09-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts
Looks like the perfect time to swap it out for a carbon fiber panel to me. When I bought my ILX I asked if I could get one without a big hole in the roof
Old 09-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaIll1
Looks like the perfect time to swap it out for a carbon fiber panel to me. When I bought my ILX I asked if I could get one without a big hole in the roof
Does it replace the entire roof or just the section where the glass is? How much does it cost? Any photos?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
Does it replace the entire roof or just the section where the glass is? How much does it cost? Any photos?
Did you notice the winky emoticon?
anoop (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Did you notice the winky emoticon?
Missed it.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

To my knowledge, no one makes one. It's something someone would have to either make their own or have it made custom.
I don't know that anyone would buy a glass roof then replace it with carbon fiber shrug
Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

If you really want one, check these guys
https://northwindcomposites.com/
Old 09-25-2020, 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaIll1
If you really want one, check these guys
https://northwindcomposites.com/
Interesting, but they say it's only for race use not for street cars.

I probably wouldn't do it though. If the sunroof were to break and if a CF roof were available, I might have been tempted.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me too

Had to work on my day off, was just leaving my client and turned onto the highway and there was a loud explosion. It scared me and I could immediately hear stuff flying off my roof. I thought someone had shot my car. I couldn’t safely pull over for a mile. Found a hole in my front moonroof. Filed a claim with my insurance and had to park in the garage. Waiting to see when I can get it fixed. Damage looks identical to others on here. Glad I had the shade closed. I am NOT happy. Just got this car.

2019 Acura RDX.

anoop (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 01:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for posting your experience. Please file a report with the NHTSA.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just filled out the form at NHTSA.
anoop (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 02:08 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Would this be an issue for your insurance (deductibles...increase in rate...etc) or Acura? I know nothing, but if this is an issue with the car (some) is there a glass or design issue? I know this issue has been covered...but.
I would prefer no sunroof anyway. In 3+ years we have opened it once, and closed it right back up. You can guess how I feel about convertibles anymore as well! But does any premium car come without a sunroof any more?
Old 10-11-2021, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
Would this be an issue for your insurance (deductibles...increase in rate...etc) or Acura? I know nothing, but if this is an issue with the car (some) is there a glass or design issue? I know this issue has been covered...but.
I would prefer no sunroof anyway. In 3+ years we have opened it once, and closed it right back up. You can guess how I feel about convertibles anymore as well! But does any premium car come without a sunroof any more?
Many of the MB SUVs do not come with a sunroof standard.

While this is probably due to a design defect from Acura, until it's proven to be so through multiple reports to NHTSA, owner has to cover it through insurance. I think this would be covered under "glass" or "comprehensive". It shouldn't affect one's rates.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:58 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

While this is probably due to a design defect from Acura, until it's proven to be so through multiple reports to NHTSA, owner has to cover it through insurance. I think this would be covered under "glass" or "comprehensive". It shouldn't affect one's rates.
Thanks.I know when we bought our last BMW the sunroof was an option but didn't know if that was a choice with anyone anymore. There is an MB on our list to test drive hopefully later this year (if there's any cars left) so will keep that in mind. On that BMW it was just one more thing to go inoperative (It did, wide open in Bullhead City, AZ summertime heat, which take my word for it, is quite a hellish hot place, 90 miles and a whole other city from where we lived to the dealer, so needless to say, we had an open roof for about a week.) and it was one more thing to air leak (it did) and water leak and rattle, which rattle it did.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:06 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Thanks. At 65 I have yet to file an auto or home insurance claim in my life so don't really know how they work (it surprises me to even type that). We have our insurance, including a large umbrella policy which I would recommend everyone look into, through Costco for the last 35 or so years. I will say, even though they change companies from time to time, it has been terrific (at least sending them money has!) with low rates and low deductibles...until....now. They recently switched to American Family Insurance, which has been a ...shit show. Rates exploded, deductible is sky high just to handles those rates, and their arrogance has been frustrating. One of my many things to do is start searching around. Let's see....who has the best commercials!?
Old 10-11-2021, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
Thanks. At 65 I have yet to file an auto or home insurance claim in my life so don't really know how they work (it surprises me to even type that). We have our insurance, including a large umbrella policy which I would recommend everyone look into, through Costco for the last 35 or so years. I will say, even though they change companies from time to time, it has been terrific (at least sending them money has!) with low rates and low deductibles...until....now. They recently switched to American Family Insurance, which has been a ...shit show. Rates exploded, deductible is sky high just to handles those rates, and their arrogance has been frustrating. One of my many things to do is start searching around. Let's see....who has the best commercials!?
The nature of the economy is such that getting knowledgable, helpful customer service in any business is next to impossible. Not sure what your ZIP is, but depending on where you are the increase in theft and vandalism may be to blame with the increase in rates. In my case, my house insurance went up like 20 or 30 percent because I'm in CA near wildfires and I guess insurance has had to pay out a lot in claims over the last few years.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
Thanks.I know when we bought our last BMW the sunroof was an option but didn't know if that was a choice with anyone anymore. There is an MB on our list to test drive hopefully later this year (if there's any cars left) so will keep that in mind. On that BMW it was just one more thing to go inoperative (It did, wide open in Bullhead City, AZ summertime heat, which take my word for it, is quite a hellish hot place, 90 miles and a whole other city from where we lived to the dealer, so needless to say, we had an open roof for about a week.) and it was one more thing to air leak (it did) and water leak and rattle, which rattle it did.
It's optional with Porsches as well.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
My TSX moon roof got stuck open and of course it happened right before a thunderstorm. I quickly learned that unlike past Honda products it was a real pain to get to the manual crank but I eventually got it closed. I haven't opened it since because I know it's the motor and I'm not taking a chance on it happening again. Outside of missing the option to crack it to let some heat out I barely miss it. Also, no moon roof typically gives you more headroom so another added bonus to choosing a model that doesn't have one.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BeeeRick
Had to work on my day off, was just leaving my client and turned onto the highway and there was a loud explosion. It scared me and I could immediately hear stuff flying off my roof. I thought someone had shot my car. I couldn’t safely pull over for a mile. Found a hole in my front moonroof. Filed a claim with my insurance and had to park in the garage. Waiting to see when I can get it fixed. Damage looks identical to others on here. Glad I had the shade closed. I am NOT happy. Just got this car.

2019 Acura RDX.
This is truly horrifying. I typically drive with my shade completely down (but pull it up when parking anywhere). I don't know if I can feel safe doing that again!
Old 12-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
That stinks. This is my concern with the panoramic roof, even before seeing this thread. Is cold/icy/snow/rainy etc where I live and my driveway is off camber so the RDX roof creaks and moans Leaving in morning for work or when coming home after work. I always keep the roof shade closed because of this lol. What are you guys using to clean the snow off the roof. Fingers crossed it’ll stay intact
Old 12-21-2021, 06:22 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

So there are issues with the sunroof 'exploding' and with the rear hatch also 'exploding'???
Old 12-21-2021, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
So there are issues with the sunroof 'exploding' and with the rear hatch also 'exploding'???
Never heard about rear hatch.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Where tempered glass is concerned the problem exists in all brands. Tempered glass is considerably stronger than laminated and can withstand thermal extremes much better as well. The tempering process puts the glass in a state of compression while the core of the glass stays within tension. A small number of tempered lites will randomly explode and when they do they do so spectacularly.
As a manufacturing engineer for an oem window manufacturer I was involved in testing hundreds of tempered window designs for FMVSS 217 certification. Part of that process involved destructive testing.
The suspense during this process was always high due to the unpredictability of the glass. It could explode at 300 psi of applied force or it could go beyond 1200 psi. and hold.
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-25-2021), sonyfever (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 05:40 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What this makes me think of
leomio2.0 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Drifting

rear hatch glass exploding
anoop (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:13 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

There have been some posts about the rear hatch, as there have been for the sunroof. Neither one seems like there is a lot, but is happening.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
There have been some posts about the rear hatch, as there have been for the sunroof. Neither one seems like there is a lot, but is happening.
I've heard of the sunroof explosion with other brands as well (BMW) and those were not even panoramic.

Now that I see the post, I do remember seeing it in the past. I think that is more rare than the sunroof. And likely less dangerous too.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if it has to do with this:
https://www.advancedglasssystems.com/shatter-glass/

The article says that it was probably hit by something at some point which made it prone to failure.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Old 03-09-2022, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Being a unibody, the roof is a stressed member. If it takes too much stress, pop goes the glass. Because the roof is weaker, if there is a large side load, it will flex the door and pop goes the glass. When I saw one, I was like, hmmm. When I saw it only comes in glass roof, I was like, um, nope, nope, nope. If they continue, they need to add reinforcements, which adds weight. Do they handle hail very well?
Old 03-09-2022, 06:11 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Did you actually watch the video I just posted? Apparently, not.
vkamnyev (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Car door glass has been like this for ever and not blow up willy nilly, but they aren't a stressed member.