Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.6.2 and FDC17.07.007 / NAD200.0.9A00

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 08:16 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
And I wonder why 4G would not have just been enabled/working all along? It's not like in 2019/2020 the world was on 3G, unless they were trying to keep you on 3G just because it was the cheapest way they could get ATT to do the Hot Spot and the Acura Link contract. Wait...did I just answer myself?
The following users liked this post:
Chipdull (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:42 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I have the AcuraLink Remote plan and I haven't received any emails yet. But I did install the update.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet this is all related to 1.6.2 (for all 19-21). Got a similar notice in AcuraLink app yesterday. Car still shows no update available. I'm sure still a phased update. I'll wait a bit and then call the dealer if it still doesn't show up. It appears that 19, and some 21's are getting it first. Haven't seen any 20's posting with it yet.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:45 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

We'll see. I have a 19, did the 1.6.2. update but never saw any message like MXFanatic did. Plenty of time, I just don't want to get caught paying for this 'embedded cellular device' in case it's not 1.6.2. Since I didn't get this mystery letter, has me a little concerned.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:22 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
We'll see. I have a 19, did the 1.6.2. update but never saw any message like MXFanatic did. Plenty of time, I just don't want to get caught paying for this 'embedded cellular device' in case it's not 1.6.2. Since I didn't get this mystery letter, has me a little concerned.
I see now that I have a message in my inbox on my Acuralink app. But I had to look.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
No issues with 1.6.2 so far. I did have the bug return for a few days where Waze hijacks the audio, but it has mysteriously fixed itself.
EFR (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Did the update on mine yesterday and all went smoothly. System seems to run fine as did Android Auto, etc.

I do mine sitting in the garage. I hook up my Battery Tender, turn the car "On" , give it the OK to update and walk off and let it do its thing. Oh, I put the window down and leave the key in the seat while I am gone. Since its locked in the garage no worries about leaving the key inside.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
Did the update on mine yesterday and all went smoothly. System seems to run fine as did Android Auto, etc.

I do mine sitting in the garage. I hook up my Battery Tender, turn the car "On" , give it the OK to update and walk off and let it do its thing. Oh, I put the window down and leave the key in the seat while I am gone. Since its locked in the garage no worries about leaving the key inside.

wow, is this the procedure for a modern car….
Old 11-19-2021, 05:46 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

LOL...I do the same thing myself...roll down the window and leave the keys in on the seat. I have auto-lock set and don't want the car thinking I'm leaving and shutting any thing off or down. I'll have to get one of those Battery Tenders. I managed to get the 1.6.2 update done and with some issues, the latest navigation update done. There is a great deal of satisfaction getting this done on the RDX...like I 'beat' the Acura!!! Of course it shouldn't be this way, but... I have this same 'it vs. me' thing with my R7 radar detector. Probably about the best RD that exists at the moment, but getting it to cooperate with a Mac is thing unto itself.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Battery tender is a bit much imho
Old 11-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Racer

Is this a problem for you? I mean the vehicle will update itself while I am driving but since there are times I don't do long drives (live in a small town and use my Fit for short trips) I just let it do its thing in the garage. I can't quite see where this is such a problem.. I seem to recall there is also an option to allow the vehicle to do this while its turned off. I mean in my years in the industry we would do updates from our factory scan tool or our shop computer terminal. We made a habit of putting a small charger on the vehicle as a precaution to maintain a nice clean steady voltage on the system while it did the internal changes. Allowing this car to do all of this itself with no external connection to a tool or terminal seems to my old brain to be a pretty simple and straight forward way to do things.
Maybe you have a better idea of how a "modern" car should be updated but I see nothing odd, unusual or "out of date" by doing it the way I do. It works 100% of the time and I never have an issue. I tend to stick to consistent procedures that work.

Last edited by hans471; 11-19-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: update wording
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
marcolou (01-11-2022), NBPDC505 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:10 PM
Skeptic

I just started it when I got out of work and drove home. It was done just before I got home.

I think this was the longest OTA update yet, about 30 minutes. Most others were only about 5-10 minutes.

I have a USB in the car with the latest map update. I'll upload it the next time I expect to be in the car for at least an hour.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Well, having done hundreds of updates to many vehicles professionally over the decades its a habit and one that avoids problems. It maintains a very clean and consistent voltage in the system and takes all of two minutes to hook up. Seems a pretty easy safety step. The car will do all of this update stuff itself while driving but sometimes I am not driving the car for days at a time so I stick to the "old way" that has served me well for many years on many vehicles. A little battery tender is not a big deal. I recall on my one Honda CR-V the instructions had you leave the engine running while doing an update! No way! Little Battery Tender handles this just fine and I don't smoke up the garage. I have also encountered people who had a defective battery and didn't know it. Half way through the update the system crashed due to low voltage. This can cause some serious issues so why not just do a simple step as a precaution and never have to worry?
Good thing its a free country and one can chose to do things any way they wish!
Old 11-19-2021, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe you have a better idea of how a "modern" car should be updated but I see nothing odd, unusual or "out of date" by doing it the way I do. It works 100% of the time and I never have an issue. I tend to stick to consistent procedures that work.
Yes, I do, You supposed to click update, agree to update, click OK, and it should update within 10-20 minutes regardless if you turn off your car or do whatever.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
esquire0399 (11-21-2021), tecwerks (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Yes, I do, You supposed to click update, agree to update, click OK, and it should update within 10-20 minutes regardless if you turn off your car or do whatever.
I just had an OTA update in my Corsair, and this is how it worked. I had a message that an update was available, I said OK, and the next day or so, while I was out, (I don't drive it every day) a message indicated it was updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
EFR (11-19-2021), russianDude (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2019 updated while the car is off, I parked in my garage near wifi. Woke up and it's updated.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:15 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

If I had not had my battery go dead while doing this update, and go dead while doing a radar detector update, both times with anything that I could turn was turned off (while in ACC mode) I may agree. But if avoids that problem, it may be a good investment.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:48 AM
Pro

Well, having done hundreds of updates to many vehicles professionally over the decades its a habit and one that avoids problems. It maintains a very clean and consistent voltage in the system and takes all of two minutes to hook up. Seems a pretty easy safety step. The car will do all of this update stuff itself while driving but sometimes I am not driving the car for days at a time so I stick to the "old way" that has served me well for many years on many vehicles. A little battery tender is not a big deal. I recall on my one Honda CR-V the instructions had you leave the engine running while doing an update! No way! Little Battery Tender handles this just fine and I don't smoke up the garage. I have also encountered people who had a defective battery and didn't know it. Half way through the update the system crashed due to low voltage. This can cause some serious issues so why not just do a simple step as a precaution and never have to worry?
Good thing its a free country and one can chose to do things any way they wish!
Whatever rocks your boat.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Normal systems have a way to recover when power is cut during software update. For example, they can boot in recovery mode with limited functionality and instruct user to insert USB with OTA. I also believe battery capacity is known to a car, and update should not start if capacity is low. All the people that have stuck updates, I doubt any of them due to low battery, maybe few examples.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by EFR
If I had not had my battery go dead while doing this update, and go dead while doing a radar detector update, both times with anything that I could turn was turned off (while in ACC mode) I may agree. But if avoids that problem, it may be a good investment.
If a really low short term power draw kills your battery then you have a screwed up battery. Time for a new one. I just replaced the original battery in a 12 year old Lexus. Or if your that paranoid then just leave your car running while doing updates.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody in Canada got 1.6.2 update or we have to wait usual few weeks before it shows up here up north?
Old 11-20-2021, 04:24 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

If a really low short term power draw kills your battery then you have a screwed up battery. Time for a new one. I just replaced the original battery in a 12 year old Lexus. Or if your that paranoid then just leave your car running while doing updates.
Thanks...that seems to be the consensus. Hope to get into Acura within the week to get it checked. I guess it's really up to them to determine if it passes the inspection or not (and, under warranty). If it doesn't, I am not sure that an Acura battery is what will replace it. My only concern is, has Acura instituted the same 'software' or whatever that BMW that causes issues when you replace your battery with one that does not match exactly the specs of the one it is replacing. If the battery is bad at 38 months, that is probably the fastest we have ever had a car battery go, however am not that familiar with AGM batteries and their life expectancy/behavior as they go out.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by david.keller
Anybody in Canada got 1.6.2 update or we have to wait usual few weeks before it shows up here up north?
Nothing up here yet, but you are correct. Usually it takes a week or two after the US before we are shown any love.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:01 PM
Racer

Normal systems have a way to recover when power is cut during software update. For example, they can boot in recovery mode with limited functionality and instruct user to insert USB with OTA. I also believe battery capacity is known to a car, and update should not start if capacity is low. All the people that have stuck updates, I doubt any of them due to low battery, maybe few examples.
Ah, but some of us have cars that sit in the garage for several weeks at a time without being driven. To take a simple precaution that causes no harm and might even be beneficial seems pretty reasonable to some. Sorry if you disagree.

And, as I have a battery Tender anyway as I use it on my motorcycle, mower and other devices with batteries as they sit out the Winter. Why not use a tool that is sitting there and paid for? Seems like a "no-brainer" as they use to say. I tend to get years of useful life from batteries in all these machines, much longer than average users as I take good care of my batteries. Even with my mower and motorcycle I get four or five years or more where many replace their batteries every year or two. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by hans471; 11-21-2021 at 10:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
EFR (11-22-2021), Funz51 (11-22-2021), JB in AZ (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Ah, but some of us have cars that sit in the garage for several weeks at a time without being driven. To take a simple precaution that causes no harm and might even be beneficial seems pretty reasonable to some. Sorry if you disagree.

And, as I have a battery Tender anyway as I use it on my motorcycle, mower and other devices with batteries as they sit out the Winter. Why not use a tool that is sitting there and paid for? Seems like a "no-brainer" as they use to say. I tend to get years of useful life from batteries in all these machines, much longer than average users as I take good care of my batteries. Even with my mower and motorcycle I get four or five years or more where many replace their batteries every year or two. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have garage, battery tender. I even rotate my tires, change my own oil and rear diff. My point is that Acura built a flaky infotainment system that requires all kinds of baby sitting to minimize the chance of failure that requires visit to dealership. Why is that my iPhones over 10 years never have issues during update, low battery or not? I expect more from Acura,
EFR (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:56 AM
Skeptic

Two things I noticed since doing the update:
  1. AcuraLink connects and displays status much quicker. It must now be using the 4G LTE network. It connects to the car in just a few seconds and remote start is executed and acknowledged in about 10 seconds.
  2. Traffic on the navigation system is MUCH better. The traffic conditions of the road I'm on updates and displays right away. That didn't used to happen. Road would stay gray for a long time, if not forever. I DID update the maps this weekend but I doubt it has anything to do with that. I don't know.
Vince D (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:16 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

"Ah, but some of us have cars that sit in the garage for several weeks at a time without being driven. To take a simple precaution that causes no harm and might even be beneficial seems pretty reasonable to some. Sorry if you disagree."

Me, exactly. 3 years, 2 months and 10K miles on car....so sits in garage a lot, and a lot of those miles are just to the local grocery, etc. I'm wondering how much of that is causing my battery to go dead during these minor league updates, but will take it to Acura soon. In the meantime, I have ordered a Battery Tender just to keep it from dying.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Finally some admission of crap system
on acura website

https://owners.acura.com/static/pdfs...anh%20ISOR.pdf
Vince D (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:57 AM
Expanse me

I have garage, battery tender. I even rotate my tires, change my own oil and rear diff. My point is that Acura built a flaky infotainment system that requires all kinds of baby sitting to minimize the chance of failure that requires visit to dealership. Why is that my iPhones over 10 years never have issues during update, low battery or not? I expect more from Acura,
And your iPhones will require you to have it plugged in before an update if you are low on charge. All some of us are saying is we want to emulate the same and ensure the update is successful.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:00 PM
10th Gear

2020 model year is now officially the next contestant for the update
https://owners.acura.com/Documentum/ota/2020_RDX.pdf

Seems like they’re staging a weekly release. So 2021 next week?

P.S. Wondering if us Canadians will get “upgraded” to 4G as our 3G network is here to stay for a few more years…
Old 11-22-2021, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

No updates for 2020 here, no OTA and not on USB
Old 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
For my 2019, the 1.6.2 update seemed to do both the normal update things correcting bugs plus move to 4G. I noticed that there was a system update status bar crawling across the bottom of the display as a separate step to the normal waterfall display. I have never noticed the status bar before on previous updates but I guess I could have missed it. I am guessing that the system update bar was specifically for the 4G update and the waterfall indicator was for the normal maintenance fixes. Tomorrow as I head out for a several hour drive I will do the latest map update on the way. I did notice that the map download to the flash drive was somewhat faster than previous times.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, com.Honda error message when system tries to update.

Since the start of last week, I have been seeing this com.Honda error message keep appearing when the infotainment system is trying to load the System Update. After I click OK on the notifications, it shows “Loading” with a buffer wheel going continuously. I have let it go for hours and never progresses. I can click Hone to get out of it and the radio, maps, CarPlay and everything works normally. However if I turn the car off/on, it will always greet me w that error message and gets stuck in Loading again until I click Home to get out of it. I am able to confirm the software version is showing as D 1.5.1 still so guessing this error won’t let me upgrade to the 1.6.1. Even when I try to access System Update from the Menu I can’t even get to the screen w the Wireless or USB option because I get the above error and Loading issue. Any thoughts on how I get around this?
Old 11-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
The following threads were updated with information on software version D.1.6.2 and software version FDC17.07.007 / NAD200.0.9A00:

2020 Acura RDX Over the Air System Updates
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...pdates-982062/
Old 11-22-2021, 06:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Funz51
And your iPhones will require you to have it plugged in before an update if you are low on charge. All some of us are saying is we want to emulate the same and ensure the update is successful.
iPhone has nothing to do with the update. You can actually turn it off. I do all my updates at home while connected to my in home wireless router.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts

I started mine about 5 min from home, got home wasn’t done yet, shut the car off and went inside with my keys, locked the doors, I let the car deal with what it needs to do, came out the next morning and when I started it, it was complete, easy how it should be, the devs did something right 🤣
russianDude (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 06:59 AM
Expanse me

iPhone has nothing to do with the update. You can actually turn it off. I do all my updates at home while connected to my in home wireless router.
i know that and did not mean to confuse you with he iPhone reference. I meant that apple ensures, for example, that the device is properly charged or plugged in before an update. So that is the point. Ensure the car battery has enough power to get thru the update, even if you need to put on a trickle charger, not a bad idea, not a waste of time. That's all I am saying.
The following 3 users liked this post by Funz51:
EFR (11-23-2021), JB in AZ (11-23-2021), tecwerks (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Anyone else with a 2020 able to get the update yet? Great to see the PDF updated yesterday, but the car doesn't show any updates for me yet.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MXFanatic
Anyone else with a 2020 able to get the update yet? Great to see the PDF updated yesterday, but the car doesn't show any updates for me yet.
Just checked, nothing. would help if their document provided some timeline when update will be available so you dont guess if there is an issue.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Just checked, nothing.
Same here, no update available yet.

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.6.2 and FDC17.07.007 / NAD200.0.9A00