Has anyone used the lemon law to return their RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Has anyone used the lemon law to return their RDX?

It seems many people are having problems with their 2019/2020 RDX that started very soon after taking delivery. It also seems that dealerships have tried (and failed) multiple times to fix the problem. Isn't this exactly what the lemon law is for? I am seriously considering a 2020 RDX (Advance trim) in the late November timeframe. I hope I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any problems, but I don't normally have that kind of luck. I also figure that if I have problems and I stay on top of the dealer, I should be protected by the lemon law if they can not be corrected. Am I wrong?

I was just wondering if anyone took this path to get the dealer to buy back their RDX?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
It seems many people are having problems with their 2019/2020 RDX that started very soon after taking delivery. It also seems that dealerships have tried (and failed) multiple times to fix the problem. Isn't this exactly what the lemon law is for? I am seriously considering a 2020 RDX (Advance trim) in the late November timeframe. I hope I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any problems, but I don't normally have that kind of luck. I also figure that if I have problems and I stay on top of the dealer, I should be protected by the lemon law if they can not be corrected. Am I wrong?

I was just wondering if anyone took this path to get the dealer to buy back their RDX?

Thanks.
I am not an expert but the RDX has some initial first year issue. Mainly with infotainment system.
If all or most of the RDX were qualified for lemon law, they wouldn’t have sold 5K units per month believe me.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Keep in mind that Lemon Laws vary considerably by state.
With that said, I have put over 10,000 miles on my 19 Advance in 8 months and the only issue has been an occasional "slow to boot" on the Infotainment system, and the perhaps an occasional overly aggressive ACC braking.

I am very happy with the RDX

Last edited by JB in AZ; 09-16-2019 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Keep in mind that Lemon Laws vary considerably by state.
With that said, I have put over 10,000 miles on my 19 Advance in 8 months and the only issue has been an occasional "slow to boot" on the Infotainment system, and the perhaps an occasional overly aggressive ACC braking.

I am very happy with the RDX
Perfectly summarized!

I know two people that have 2019 RDX. I remember last year they have a few complaints related to infotainment.
With few updates, they are completely fine and love their car. One of them actually put 38,000 KMs on it. It’s insane. But zero issue.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
There is 1 poster on here that is going thru it..homepro is his handle.....post # 331 https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-971802/page9/
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks, I did see that. I just figured if that many people were having problems more would have tried that route.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
I have come across many postings from people that dumped the car and moved on than those that were able to get a lemon buy back.

Lemon buy back is usually for issues that are not considered minor.

There is a lawsuit over the infotainment system, though.
https://www.reuters.com/article/hond...-idUSL2N24D1F9
So we might all get $5 some day.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello

I'm new to Acura RDX - I just brought a used 2019 RDX with 15k miles and I already expereince stalling, accelerated issue, and shifting while on the highway with my child in the car,
This has happened 3 times and I only drove 45 miles, this is crazy because I missed my 5 days return but 1 day but I'm going to the dealership tomorrow morning and ask for my trade back.............
This is freakin crazy - the sales person told me - she asked the couple why are they trading for a CRV 2021 - no response - she asked are you sure you want to trade in this car - yup and they paid the remaining balance off the same day, now it makes me wonder if they knew something was wrong and traded it in-------

any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2021, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kwon34
Hello

I'm new to Acura RDX - I just brought a used 2019 RDX with 15k miles and I already expereince stalling, accelerated issue, and shifting while on the highway with my child in the car,
This has happened 3 times and I only drove 45 miles, this is crazy because I missed my 5 days return but 1 day but I'm going to the dealership tomorrow morning and ask for my trade back.............
This is freakin crazy - the sales person told me - she asked the couple why are they trading for a CRV 2021 - no response - she asked are you sure you want to trade in this car - yup and they paid the remaining balance off the same day, now it makes me wonder if they knew something was wrong and traded it in-------

any thoughts?
It's a really unfortunate experience, so I feel for you.

Since you have experienced the problem 3 times already in 5 days, I think what you're proposing to do (i.e. take it back) sounds reasonable and I hope they buy it back. It's hard to say if the other party knew something was wrong or not. If there was a problem, an Acura dealer would probably know because they have access to the service records and presumably the car would have been taken in. I wonder if it's possible to somehow access the service records for the car. Since it looks like you bought it from a Honda dealer, they may or may not have access to those records.

If the Honda dealer doesn't take it back, then it looks like your only recourse would be to take it to the Acura dealer and try and get them to fix it. Fortunately it's still under warranty.

Last edited by anoop; 03-27-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
I hope the dealer will take it back but unlikely. As for lemon law, it is very difficult to get to that point and usually dealers would do as much as possible to delay the entire process. Most of the lemon laws will require Dealers to make repeated attempts to fix the issues. The details varies state by state so you would need to arm yourself with knowledge or get a lawyer to do that.

However, this is assuming they acknowledge the issue to begin with!!!! Most of the time, it’s stuck in this process especially with stalling/Limp mode. They are not easily reproducible and system logs shows no record of it. If you are going to be in this stage with the dealers, I recommend pointing a dash cam at the console to video record when it happens.....

Best of luck!
Old 03-27-2021, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do lemon laws even apply to a second owner? I thought they only apply to the original owner.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:30 PM
Bobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my 2016 RDX Advance FWD on 2/29/16. On 2/23/22, I experienced a bucking of the transmission about every 1/4 mile until i got home. I'm not sure if this is considered "judder" or not, but the dealer did a software upgrade and I already had done a transmission flush. Today, 3/14/22, I experience the same problem driving at low speeds 15-30mph. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it diagnosed once again. Since I reported this issue within the six year 70,000 powertrain warranty period, I am assuming any repairs will be covered under warranty, although they charged me $ 155.00 for the diagnosis and software update which I believe should have been covered under warranty. I am going to contest that charge. I will update what the dealership says and does. Based on research on this issue, it seems RDX owners with this problem have not gotten satisfactory fixes from the dealership. Transmission flushes and software updates are not resolving the issues.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
I purchased my 2016 RDX Advance FWD on 2/29/16. On 2/23/22, I experienced a bucking of the transmission about every 1/4 mile until i got home. I'm not sure if this is considered "judder" or not, but the dealer did a software upgrade and I already had done a transmission flush. Today, 3/14/22, I experience the same problem driving at low speeds 15-30mph. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it diagnosed once again. Since I reported this issue within the six year 70,000 powertrain warranty period, I am assuming any repairs will be covered under warranty, although they charged me $ 155.00 for the diagnosis and software update which I believe should have been covered under warranty. I am going to contest that charge. I will update what the dealership says and does. Based on research on this issue, it seems RDX owners with this problem have not gotten satisfactory fixes from the dealership. Transmission flushes and software updates are not resolving the issues.
You have a 2nd gen RDX. This forum is for 3rd gen.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 233 Posts
IMO - In this market - you'd be better served to just trade it in or sell it out right, as the "lemon laws" are tough to qualify in most states. Sometime you think you have a "lemon", but in actuality its a non-competent dealer or mechanic (been there plenty of times at Mini and the Jeep in my past).

Every state has slightly different lemon laws - typical it has to be the original owner, less than 2 years old or 24k miles and:
  • The vehicle has been in the shop three or more times for the same problem and the problem still exists;
  • The vehicle has been in the shop one time due to a defect likely to cause serious bodily injury or death and the problem still exists;
  • The vehicle has been out of service for any number of problems for 20 or more days, and a problem still exists. The days do not need to be consecutive.

Appears KWON34 in this thread appears got lucky, returned his Acura in the buy-back period and never posted again.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had my VW Alltrack bought back for their notorious roof leak issue. Like others said, the criteria are different among states. I think mine had to be in the shop for 15 days within a certain time frame. I do think the service department kind of "heard" me when I mentioned buy back, meaning they may have taken their time with it to help me meet the criteria, but that's just a hunch. If you have a chance of hitting the criteria, you might try to be extra nice to your service department.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
If you do research on “Lemon laws”…………you will find that lawyers prefer to use the MAG MOSS warranty act. Mag Moss allows the lawyers to sue and the manufacturer pays their legal fees. So the lawyers often string the process of repurchase out over several months to get the billable hours up. If the settle in a week it’s hard to justify 100 hours of lawyer time.