Dyno Tune results

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Dyno Tune results

Took the car for dyno tune today , all I have is custom exhaust , rv6 downpipe , green filter and customized the stock intake . The end results were 355 crank and 334 peak trq to the wheels and 267 hp to the wheels, I’m happy with the numbers I did more of a conservative tune because it’s my daily and I have my daughter so I need her to be reliable at the same time , but care is way more aggressive so much more fun to drive now ! Thanks everyone

Last edited by Shelly_Aspec; 07-09-2020 at 10:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Shelly_Aspec:
fogdoctor (07-10-2020), markm929 (07-10-2020), Oil Stain (07-10-2020), sonyfever (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Where did they get the 355 crank hp number from? If it put down 267 at the wheels, then 355 at the crank would be about a 25% drivetrain loss, which is incredibly high. Even the most inefficient full time AWD systems would have drivetrain losses of about 18%.

Did you do a baseline pull to compare before and after?

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-09-2020 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fogdoctor (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 06:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Where did they get the 355 crank hp number from? If it put down 267 at the wheels, then 355 at the crank would be about a 25% drivetrain loss, which is incredibly high. Even the most inefficient full time AWD systems would have drivetrain losses of about 18%.

i know zero about tunes lol but that’s the numbers I got from the tuner the first baseline pull was I believe was 223 I have a picture of the first few pulls ! I got tuned by Chris Miller Racing in Long Island . I’ll deff ask my tuner your question and let you know and I was on AWD dyno

Old 07-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

so I spoke to the tuner today and he said his numbers are correct he said you lose a lot in AWD form from crank to whp ! 🤷🏻‍♀️
Old 07-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shelly_Aspec
so I spoke to the tuner today and he said his numbers are correct he said you lose a lot in AWD form from crank to whp ! 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sounds like he's blowing a lot of air up your butt to try to make the numbers sound better. If you believe the baseline number of 223hp, that would only be an 18% loss with 272hp at the crank. 18% is about right for an AWD system. Unless the tune magically affected the drivetrain and bumped it up to a 25% loss, 267whp would really be 325bhp with 18% drivetrain losses.
fogdoctor (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Sounds like he's blowing a lot of air up your butt to try to make the numbers sound better. If you believe the baseline number of 223hp, that would only be an 18% loss with 272hp at the crank. 18% is about right for an AWD system. Unless the tune magically affected the drivetrain and bumped it up to a 25% loss, 267whp would really be 325bhp with 18% drivetrain losses.

possibly lol but like I said I honestly know nothing about tunning cars lol this was my first car I ever got tuned I’d love for others to do dyno tunes and really see but not many rdx doing this stuff unfortunately , either way crank isn’t the main it’s the whp so I’m ok with it lol
Old 07-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

possibly lol but like I said I honestly know nothing about tunning cars lol this was my first car I ever got tuned I’d love for others to do dyno tunes and really see but not many rdx doing this stuff unfortunately , either way crank isn’t the main it’s the whp so I’m ok with it lol
I totally agree that WHP (and more importantly, the delta between baseline and tuned WHP) is what's important, but I'd be a bit wary about why he's inflating the numbers. Kind of calls into question whether there's any other shenanigans being pulled. For instance, taking a regular baseline number and comparing it to an SAE correct tuned number to inflate the delta, cherry-picking the largest tuned number and lowest baseline number, sandbagging the baseline, etc.
Shelly_Aspec (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

I totally agree that WHP (and more importantly, the delta between baseline and tuned WHP) is what's important, but I'd be a bit wary about why he's inflating the numbers. Kind of calls into question whether there's any other shenanigans being pulled. For instance, taking a regular baseline number and comparing it to an SAE correct tuned number to inflate the delta, cherry-picking the largest tuned number and lowest baseline number, sandbagging the baseline, etc.

ahh I see it sucks cuz wish I knew but I’m done with the motor car feels great and drives totally different it’s at enough for me now I did text him and ask him to send me the graph of our last run where we got the 267 to see so I’ll post it when he send it’s to me if that helps any
Old 07-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
I am just curious about that baseline. Is it run with all the mods, but ECU is in its original state?
Old 07-10-2020, 03:38 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your tuner has his head in the clouds. With those numbers, you're coming in around 318HP at the crank. Don't focus so much on peak numbers though, but rather power under the curve. From my understanding, these are pretty small turbos that run out of steam up top. If the rest of the powerband looks good compared to stock, I wouldn't be so worried about peak numbers not being as high as you'd thought.
Shelly_Aspec (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leomio85
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your tuner has his head in the clouds. With those numbers, you're coming in around 318HP at the crank. Don't focus so much on peak numbers though, but rather power under the curve. From my understanding, these are pretty small turbos that run out of steam up top. If the rest of the powerband looks good compared to stock, I wouldn't be so worried about peak numbers not being as high as you'd thought.

very true I wasn’t so much worried about crank and stuff really just worried about what I was putting down to the wheels lol I didn’t wanna really push the car to hard either we did 7 passes with it and i was like yea let’s shut it down now lol ! It’s all for fun really more spirited drive for me , I have no intention of upgrading the stock turbo to get more power I’m happy where it’s at now ! Gonna work on the outside of it now
Old 07-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I am just curious about that baseline. Is it run with all the mods, but ECU is in its original state?

I have not done a dyno pass with no mods and original ecu ! I didn’t want to pay twice lol so my first pass was with mods with just stage 2 tune and it was 223 wheel once the tuner messed with it and we did dyno runs I ended with 267 so I gained about 45 wheel , I can only imagine a stock ecu with no mods much less then 223 to the wheels
Old 07-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Dang, the 223whp was with mods and an off-the-shelf tune? It seems very surprising that a pro-tune would result in 45 more whp over the OTS tune... I'm even more suspicious now that he's sandbagging that number. Both Hondata and Ktuner individually dyno'd the stock car at around 225whp, and since both are trying to sell tunes, they would have all the reason in the world to sandbag their own base numbers. It would be interesting to see what the actual dyno charts look like to see if there's any funny business going on there. All it takes is slightly lifting off the throttle at high RPMs to torpedo the peak whp numbers.
Shelly_Aspec (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
223 whp for your mods and stage 2 tune is really low, unless they are using some strange dyno...Also the pro tuner getting ANOTHER 45 whp, I would worry that he did something too drastic to your fuel tables to get those numbers OR like somebody said he is forging his # to justify his cost.
Post some logs when you get a chance.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

Wait, this was with a canned Stage 2 tune?! Dynos are simply tools, and depending on manufacturer, read vastly differently. If so, I can believe the 355HP crank numbers if it's a low reading dyno. Though, if this is the case, I'd be wary since this is in no way a "conservative" tune if it's your daily.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Dang, the 223whp was with mods and an off-the-shelf tune? It seems very surprising that a pro-tune would result in 45 more whp over the OTS tune... I'm even more suspicious now that he's sandbagging that number. Both Hondata and Ktuner individually dyno'd the stock car at around 225whp, and since both are trying to sell tunes, they would have all the reason in the world to sandbag their own base numbers. It would be interesting to see what the actual dyno charts look like to see if there's any funny business going on there. All it takes is slightly lifting off the throttle at high RPMs to torpedo the peak whp numbers.

I did text him and ask to send me the graphs once I get the email I’ll deff post the graphs
Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leomio85
Wait, this was with a canned Stage 2 tune?! Dynos are simply tools, and depending on manufacturer, read vastly differently. If so, I can believe the 355HP crank numbers if it's a low reading dyno. Though, if this is the case, I'd be wary since this is in no way a "conservative" tune if it's your daily.
it’s was stage 2 ktune I did myself then brought for a dyno tune to get alittle more power , I’m not sure how the dyno reads it said dynojet I’m very unfamiliar with tunes lol and I’m starting to see it’s not conservative because I’m running into issues at this point and the tunner is sending me a new file and also suggested I change spark plugs and gap them to .025 I might flash back to ktune stage 2 regular turning into more of a headache then I’d like
Old 07-11-2020, 05:53 PM

I won't pretend to be well versed on the topic, but with my limited knowledge on it, Dynojets are usually the "standard" (where most people get % drivetrain loss from crank). Mustang dynos are generally the heartbreakers, but that's simply because people don't realize that dynos are simply a tool used for tuning rather than a penis extender. That's why you should always dyno on the same dyno and do baselines before mods to ensure things are in order ... not everyone has that luxury though. If you really want to stick with conservative, I think you're more than OK going with a reputable canned tune. You really can't get too aggressive when doing so, unless it's some pop-up, wannabe company that doesn't mind blowing up a bunch of customer's engines.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I also think the +45hp gain from tuning-only sounds a little too good to be true, but without seeing the plot, hard to say what happened. More important is the torque distribution, and from your description the car seems to drive better, and that is the probably what really matters at the end of the day. $600 for 4WD Dyno should not be too pricey? I had my FWD NA car dyno-tuned years ago, and it was $400+ I think.

I like sound from your dyno video, sounds great especially during the upshift, showed how fast the 10AT can shift!

Old 07-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
it’s was stage 2 ktune I did myself then brought for a dyno tune to get alittle more power , I’m not sure how the dyno reads it said dynojet I’m very unfamiliar with tunes lol and I’m starting to see it’s not conservative because I’m running into issues at this point and the tunner is sending me a new file and also suggested I change spark plugs and gap them to .025 I might flash back to ktune stage 2 regular turning into more of a headache then I’d like
Yeah, the only "tuning" I've ever done was when I was a teenager, deliberately running a POS motorcycle with too much spark advance to eek out about another 2 hp. I routinely burned a hole through the crown of the piston, so I got to learn how to rebuild an engine as part of the deal. Good thing there were only two pistons ( or was it one? ).

If you are generating enough heat and/or preignition to require different spark plugs your daily driver may not have very many days to drive before you will be shopping for a new engine. Unless you plan to run a steady diet of aviation gasoline to control preignition.

A less aggressive tune may be a better choice. HP envy can get very expensive.

$0.02

Old 07-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
A less aggressive tune may be a better choice. HP envy can get very expensive.

$0.02
Expensive is not a concern for him, must be nice😀
Old 07-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Didn't see the comment by OP about the spark plugs. That to me is a big red flag. The tuner probably means spark plugs with higher heat rating or something along the line. That means the engine is going to chew through stock plugs. Changing the spark plug grade might lengthen the lifespan, but maybe it will still be shorter than what you consider to be normal. For example, do you know BMW engines need new spark plugs every 15k miles? And that is from the factory.

I would chat with the tuner to see if there is a solution, for example give you a milder tune for a discount, or if you can persuade him, for free. Saying this is too late, but best to communicate with tuner what you want, and make sure both are on the same page.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Didn't see the comment by OP about the spark plugs. That to me is a big red flag. The tuner probably means spark plugs with higher heat rating or something along the line. That means the engine is going to chew through stock plugs. Changing the spark plug grade might lengthen the lifespan, but maybe it will still be shorter than what you consider to be normal. For example, do you know BMW engines need new spark plugs every 15k miles? And that is from the factory.

I would chat with the tuner to see if there is a solution, for example give you a milder tune for a discount, or if you can persuade him, for free. Saying this is too late, but best to communicate with tuner what you want, and make sure both are on the same page.
EDIT: I meant to say "BMW M engines"
Old 07-13-2020, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Spark plug "heat range" refers to the ability of a spark plug to transfer heat away from the plug tip and into the cooling system of the engine.

If the tip doesn't stay hot enough under low-load, low-rpm conditions, it will build up carbon deposits and foul. If it stays too hot under high-load/ high-rpm conditions, it will cause pre-ignition and potentially engine damage. And yeah, you can burn the tips right off the spark plugs, but that may be the least of your worries.

AFAIK the only good way to know what is going on with the plugs after a mod, is to pull the plugs and inspect them. This is not the shallow end of the pool for someone who just wants their daily driver to be a bit peppier, IMO.

https://www.denso.com/global/en/prod...sic/heatrange/
Old 07-15-2020, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE !!! spoke with my tuner I checked my stock plugs and they are fine like brand new and the stock plugs are pretty much already gapped at .025 so we left them alone , what we figured was we tuned the car when it was around 90 degrees and super humid and has been super humid here in ny for past couple days with such crappy weather he sent me an updated tune which we Smoothed our boost targets and timing table. It’s super humid out so I figured that adding some duty cycle to boost control to compensate for the shitty air we have right now would help ! And believe me it did the car runs fantastic she feels great but I’m going to be investing in the prl intercooler the car does put off a lot of heat I believe and the rdx from what I heard suffers from heat soak problems . But al in all happy with the car and dusted an alpha Romeo stelvo the other night who kept messing with me lol !
The following 2 users liked this post by Shelly_Aspec:
Funz51 (07-15-2020), sonyfever (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE !!! spoke with my tuner I checked my stock plugs and they are fine like brand new and the stock plugs are pretty much already gapped at .025 so we left them alone , what we figured was we tuned the car when it was around 90 degrees and super humid and has been super humid here in ny for past couple days with such crappy weather he sent me an updated tune which we Smoothed our boost targets and timing table. It’s super humid out so I figured that adding some duty cycle to boost control to compensate for the shitty air we have right now would help ! And believe me it did the car runs fantastic she feels great but I’m going to be investing in the prl intercooler the car does put off a lot of heat I believe and the rdx from what I heard suffers from heat soak problems . But al in all happy with the car and dusted an alpha Romeo stelvo the other night who kept messing with me lol !
Glad to hear it is sorted out!