Dent on new car purchase when picking up at dealer, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
good luck with that, you need some independent place for that. You know that it will be downplayed and brushed off with “you have nothing to worry about”
I wouldnt mind to spend some more time and wait a bit longer.
After all, they still make money even getting me a replacement car, just more trouble and paperwork for them. If they refuse, I will just ask for a refund of my deposit and withdraw from my car loan.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by davidkawai
I wouldnt mind to spend some more time and wait a bit longer.
After all, they still make money even getting me a replacement car, just more trouble and paperwork for them. If they refuse, I will just ask for a refund of my deposit and withdraw from my car loan.
thats what I would do, walk away, wait for replacement, or get compensated for diminished value (difficult to come up with a number due to many variables).
The following users liked this post:
davidkawai (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Say if the car would look perfect on the body and paint after the dent repair, I will still ask them to use the paint thickness device to show me it's original paint when picking up the car then . if not , i will ask and wait for a replacement car
You're being overly paranoid as a result of being influenced by russianDude. There is a device that is used to measure paint thickness, which is used by detailers to guide them when they are polishing or removing scratches. However, I'm not aware of any dealer going over a car with one to determine if a car has been repainted. If that happens, it's a New Jersey thing, which is probably because New Jersey is the home of shady scams by both the seller and the dealer. If you're that paranoid about the car, simply tell the dealer you want a new one and then that's the end of it. There's no point of even considering the old car if you're concerned about a "secret paint job" or a conspiracy to cheat you years down the line. The dealer won't care if you ask for a new car because he's still getting the sale, not because "he's going to pawn a damaged car off on someone else."

What I would do before you get further influenced by the people who consider life a battle between themselves and a car dealer is to just call up the dealer and say "you know what, I thought about it, can I just get a new car." That solves everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by DriverOne:
davidkawai (12-02-2020), jmhumr (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Influenced? He can do whatever he wants. Paint meters only in NJ? The dealers do that in PA also AFIK. If I would be buying a used car, I would want to know if car had body work or not, especially if its expensive because its relatively new
davidkawai (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
You would be surprised by how many new cars get body work before they even leave the plant. At the end of the assembly line is a repair area where they fix all the stuff that is wrong or damaged. There was a case a few years back of a BMW owner winning a large settlement with the company as they had done some major paint work on the vehicle and sold it as "new" with no mention of the extent of the body work. He found our after noticing the car was not quite perfect. He sued...and won. There are laws in many states that require a dealer or manufacturer to give the buyer written notice if the car had work over a certain price point and what was repaired as this would likely decrease the vehicles value in the future. Of course dealers play dumb on this sometimes and don't freely follow through on this.

I would not accept a car that had damage that required a paint fix as over time the paint may not age the same as the factory paint. You are very dependent on the skill of the body workers and the type of paint they use.
davidkawai (12-03-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I went to dealer yesterday to put down payment for the new RDX 2021 purchase, then after all paper and insurance stuffs the sale showed me the car and I found there is a ugly deep dent right on the line on rear panel .
He said they will have PDR to remove it. but what if they cant get it 100% perfect ? from my experience deep dent on the line like that not likely to get 100% perfect from PDR .
Car is still at the dealer waiting for installing accessories and PDR.
Anyone with similar experience? feel free to share any suggestion what to do next ?

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raA1...ature=youtu.be

I would not accept a BRAND NEW car like that.

My wife's 2019 Advance we bought as a CPO has a similar dent. If they hadn't priced hers right we would have passed on it too. Looks like they were both caused by the fuel door being hyper extended against the body.

I'm going to find someone locally to try to get the dent out, but if you move forward with this one, let us know how it goes.
davidkawai (12-07-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
You're being overly paranoid as a result of being influenced by russianDude. There is a device that is used to measure paint thickness, which is used by detailers to guide them when they are polishing or removing scratches. However, I'm not aware of any dealer going over a car with one to determine if a car has been repainted. If that happens, it's a New Jersey thing, which is probably because New Jersey is the home of shady scams by both the seller and the dealer. If you're that paranoid about the car, simply tell the dealer you want a new one and then that's the end of it. There's no point of even considering the old car if you're concerned about a "secret paint job" or a conspiracy to cheat you years down the line. The dealer won't care if you ask for a new car because he's still getting the sale, not because "he's going to pawn a damaged car off on someone else."

What I would do before you get further influenced by the people who consider life a battle between themselves and a car dealer is to just call up the dealer and say "you know what, I thought about it, can I just get a new car." That solves everything.
I agree, I'd refuse delivery and ask for another one. It's the current model so that shouldn't be a problem (unless he's already "taken delivery" and returned to the dealer after he noticed the dent).

Dealers here use a paint meter to check used cars they are taking in when they can't tell by feel (tape lines, overspray) if it's had paint work. Most paint meters only work on metal surfaces though, so things like bumpers can give you weird, unreliable readings.

I've actually had the dealer use a paint meter to go over a used car I was looking at that had an obvious bumper repaint (if you know what to look for). I ended up getting the car and enjoyed it for a few years.

Another interesting fact about New Jersey... it's port of entry for several car manufacturers (BMW for one) and there is a lot of paint correction done at their PDC facility there (I think that's what it's called). I've seen brand new cars with 1-2 panels repainted. Those repairs are documented in the car's electronic history that only the dealer can see. If something looks questionable on a new car, I suppose you could ask what correction was done at the port of entry, but I doubt the dealer would give you the info, much less know where to look.
davidkawai (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Update as of today ,
So i have requested for either replacement new car or full refund on Saturday, and today the dealer refused to give replacement new car or full refund and saying
" all of the DMV and Title work is already submitted for the vehicle under your name. I can offer you an additional accessory free of charge to compensate for the inconvenience. Otherwise you can wait for the title to come in and trade the car in at that time. "

I replied them either provide me replacement new car or full refund . Otherwise, i will file dispute for full refund.

So what I need to do next, beside filing dispute for deposit i put through credit card , calling Acura Financial to withdraw car loan, and canceling car insurance, what else i need to do ? contact DMV about the title and registration ?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by davidkawai; 12-07-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Sorry to hear you having to deal with this and it sounds like the dealer is looking to play hardball. Did you ever go back and read through what you called "all paper and insurance stuffs?" You need to read what you signed and unless I am missing something, this is likely going to determine what your options are and more than likely steer the outcome.
rdx_to (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Sorry to hear you having to deal with this and it sounds like the dealer is looking to play hardball. Did you ever go back and read through what you called "all paper and insurance stuffs?" You need to read what you signed and unless I am missing something, this is likely going to determine what your options are and more than likely steer the outcome.
Just got email from them now they are trying to blame me for agree on repair, but we are there to buy a new car, repair or not shouldn't even be a new car buyer concern at the first place.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update as of today ,
So i have requested for either replacement new car or full refund on Saturday, and today the dealer refused to give replacement new car or full refund and saying
" all of the DMV and Title work is already submitted for the vehicle under your name. I can offer you an additional accessory free of charge to compensate for the inconvenience. Otherwise you can wait for the title to come in and trade the car in at that time. "

I replied them either provide me replacement new car or full refund . Otherwise, i will file dispute for full refund.

So what I need to do next, beside filing dispute for deposit i put through credit card , calling Acura Financial to withdraw car loan, and canceling car insurance, what else i need to do ? contact DMV about the title and registration ?
i think the most easiest way to request 2-3k additional discount and fully repair. (for me, I will be happy to accept 3k discount offer, fully repair and this won't be reported in carfax). I do not know the process, but in NYS, I believe the dealership can revoke the registration.

Last edited by Monster_HK; 12-07-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Monster_HK
i think the most easiest way to request 2-3k additional discount and fully repair. I do not know the process, but in NYS, I believe the dealership can revoke the registration.
I would likely to just dispute everything on my end , i just need to make sure i do everything and not missing something
Old 12-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Update as of today ,

The main thing would be to read your contract and see if you have legally accepted the car even without physically accepting it. Also, of course, do not sign anything further that they put in front of you. I guess since people on here seem to contact Acura's corporate office, you could do that and complain about how this dealership treated you. I also would speak to the dealership management or owner and tell them you intend to file a complaint with Acura's corporate office and then you could bluff and say you intend to look into a lawsuit if that doesn't bother them. You could also try contacting the state Attorney General office regarding this (they may point you to a different office). Basically, there's nothing to lose at this point if they refuse, so you should just explore literally every option. Also tell the dealership you're going to post this on their website and their Yelp and anywhere else you can and you're not going to ever use their services again (only make this threat if you mean it and they're not the only dealer around in the state).
Old 12-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just be forewarned if you decide to use either of the 2 L words (lawsuit and/or lawyer), it's extremely likely the immediate response from the dealer will be to direct any more contact to their lawyer and they will never directly speak to you again. My advice would be to save this as a last result after you have already secured your own legal counsel.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Did you have a chance to visually inspect a car before signing a papers for it?
if you signed papers without inspection, hmn, I dont know what legal ground you have.
If they refuse to give you replacement, its tough situation, your options are limited, not sure its worth getting a lawyer over it
Old 12-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Did you have a chance to visually inspect a car before signing a papers for it?
if you signed papers without inspection, hmn, I dont know what legal ground you have.
If they refuse to give you replacement, its tough situation, your options are limited, not sure its worth getting a lawyer over it
if they refuse to make effort to just get a replacement new car. I wonder how difficult is it for them to just issue refund ? and back off the car loan ?

Old 12-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Banned

I agree with that, but basically if you have no legal recourse, then the only way to possibly get a new car is to use the threat of "bad-mouthing" the dealership everywhere. There are pros and cons to doing this and it's essentially an end-game type of policy because he'd never be welcome back for any reason. As with anything, it's a question of what lengths you are willing to go to in order to fight over this. That is a personal decision. There are some people who will go to the ends of the earth to get fifty cents back over a hamburger. Do I think they're retards? Yes. But that's their thing. This is clearly more substantial, but everything still applies. The question that the OP will have to ask himself is: what do I want to accomplish and what am I willing to accept?

Basically, davidkawai, that's the question you need to answer. Maybe you can accept just working with the dealer, having them do their best to get the dent out, and getting an accessory out of it. If so, then just do that. If you don't care what happens and just want any possible "win," then you go the route I put out, which involves lawyers and lawsuits. In the end, it may amount to nothing but hard feelings between you and the dealer. Unfortunately, nobody can predict how that goes.
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned

if they refuse to make effort to just get a replacement new car. I wonder how difficult is it for them to just issue refund ? and back off the car loan ?
I'll PM you something so it's not public.
davidkawai (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont know, they want to close their books, they dont want this car back on the lot. They would have to fix it regardless if you get it or someone else, so its BS that they tell you “why did you agree to fix it”. It has to be fixed regardless.
If you really dont want it anymore, tell them to cancel everything or give you replacement car, make it firm, see if they go for it.

Last edited by russianDude; 12-07-2020 at 02:53 PM.
davidkawai (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
I dont know, they want to close their books, they dont want this car back on the lot. They would have to fix it regardless if you get it or someone else, so its BS that they tell you “why did you agree to fix it”. It has to be fixed regardless.
If you really dont want it anymore, tell them to cancel everything or give you replacement car, make it firm, see if they go for it.
This happened to me when trading my car in on my 2019 RDX...I went to accept delivery of my black RDX and their was a noticeable etch mark from a bird dropping on the hood that the detailer could not remove. They wanted me to bring the car back and they would send it out to the body shop to get repaired. I told the dealer no way would I accept that vehicle, even though all the paperwork and registration was in my name. I was adamant and didn’t really give them any other option. The next RDX that came in for me had a dent in the roof from the transport carrier. I happened to notice it before they did the delivery inspection on it. It took three Vehicles before they got one that I would accept. Like RussianDude said, dealer will have to repair the vehicle anyway for resale and my dealer said that in reality they don’t even have to disclose lot damage repair if under a certain amount...my dealer says they do disclose that information to their customers, which I am thankful for.
davidkawai (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
In some states the vehicle isn't considered SOLD until the new owner drives it off the dealerships lot...
davidkawai (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leaf 68
This happened to me when trading my car in on my 2019 RDX...I went to accept delivery of my black RDX and their was a noticeable etch mark from a bird dropping on the hood that the detailer could not remove. They wanted me to bring the car back and they would send it out to the body shop to get repaired. I told the dealer no way would I accept that vehicle, even though all the paperwork and registration was in my name. I was adamant and didn’t really give them any other option. The next RDX that came in for me had a dent in the roof from the transport carrier. I happened to notice it before they did the delivery inspection on it. It took three Vehicles before they got one that I would accept. Like RussianDude said, dealer will have to repair the vehicle anyway for resale and my dealer said that in reality they don’t even have to disclose lot damage repair if under a certain amount...my dealer says they do disclose that information to their customers, which I am thankful for.
which state are you from ? I am in NY and my dealer is finding excuse saying all papers were submitted and it's under my name etc . . .
Old 12-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

which state are you from ? I am in NY and my dealer is finding excuse saying all papers were submitted and it's under my name etc . . .
I am not a lawyer, but did you sign any papers that state your agreement to pre-existing body damage on the new car purchase?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

I am not a lawyer, but did you sign any papers that state your agreement to pre-existing body damage on the new car purchase?

No way i would sign that. I only signed payment receipt, dmv registration, paper for title and accessories etc
And we verbally agree to have the dent pdr fixed , but they ended up sending to bodyshop to refinished the panel .
Old 12-08-2020, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
I am in Ontario, Canada. My papers were signed and the vehicle was in my name as well. However, I refused to accept a new $47,000 vehicle that needed to be sent to the body shop before I drove it off the lot.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

No way i would sign that. I only signed payment receipt, dmv registration, paper for title and accessories etc
And we verbally agree to have the dent pdr fixed , but they ended up sending to bodyshop to refinished the panel .
You can say that you only agreed for new non-damaged vehicle and that you can wait for replacement. You can also say that you did not realize that this will require entire panel refinish and that this is unacceptable.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leaf 68
I am in Ontario, Canada. My papers were signed and the vehicle was in my name as well. However, I refused to accept a new $47,000 vehicle that needed to be sent to the body shop before I drove it off the lot.

Similar situation to mine, when i saw the dent, dealer told the dent will be fixed. I said it need to be 100% fixed, but then it ended up refinished by bodyshop, so i rejected it when dealer showed me pictures of repair.
They said they are still working on my case now. let's see how it go

Last edited by davidkawai; 12-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

You can say that you only agreed for new non-damaged vehicle and that you can wait for replacement. You can also say that you did not realize that this will require entire panel refinish and that this is unacceptable.
That's right, i mentioned it. At the beginning when I first saw the dent, they said it will be fixed by pdr, gave me impression would be something simple, then it was sent to " refinished "
Old 12-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

That's right, i mentioned it. At the beginning when I first saw the dent, they said it will be fixed by pdr, gave me impression would be something simple, then it was sent to " refinished "
If you are determined, I think you can win this and they would have to find a replacement car for you.
The paint refinish and PDR are not the same thing.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

If you are determined, I think you can win this and they would have to find a replacement car for you.
The paint refinish and PDR are not the same thing.
I think they are trying now, should have update by tonight
Old 12-09-2020, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We experienced something very similar to this back in July when we purchased my wife's 2020 RDX Aspec. Admittingly, we were short on time (had a vet appointment) and the car was getting splash guards installed so we didn't see the car until after the papers were signed (lesson learned). After we signed all the papers and the salesman was giving my wife a lesson adding her phone to the car I walked around the car. It was difficult to tell because the car had just been washed, but I found two runs in the paint on the drivers side door. Long story short is the run was in the base coat and not clear coat (confirmed by the dealers body shop) and we simply refused the car. We had signed the paperwork and the dealer just did not submit the paperwork. It took another week or so to locate the same car, but in the end we got the car we wanted without blemishes. The dealer was pretty good about the whole situation and I'm 99% sure they sold the car with the paint defects the following week on the lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDXVT:
amcobra (12-11-2020), davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Update as of today,
So the dealer have arranged a new replacement car, they gave me new vin# to get new insurance ready. The sales did mentioned not sure how to handle title and registration from the other car since papers have been submitted to DMV.
We are going to pick up the new car tonight, hope things will go smooth
amcobra (12-11-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Update as of today,
So the dealer have arranged a new replacement car, they gave me new vin# to get new insurance ready. The sales did mentioned not sure how to handle title and registration from the other car since papers have been submitted to DMV.
Nice.....make sure u look it over in proper lighting....including a test drive.
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by flames9
Nice.....make sure u look it over in proper lighting....including a test drive.
yep, I’ve made mistake not looking at new car closely before taking delivery, I guess I got lucky. Good reminder to all of us to carefully examine body
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Update as of today,
Sounds good - just do yourself a favor and after you check the vehicle over - make sure the paperwork including the registration is correct and for the right vehicle. Couldn't imagine the headache you would have trying to unscrew a mess where you have registration for one vehicle and drove off in another one. Likelihood of this is probably fairly small but again I would double check.
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
yep, I’ve made mistake not looking at new car closely before taking delivery, I guess I got lucky. Good reminder to all of us to carefully examine body
People hate car dealerships...they want to make the purchase and get out of there and enjoy that new purchase!
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:28 AM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to dealer yesterday to put down payment for the new RDX 2021 purchase, then after all paper and insurance stuffs the sale showed me the car and I found there is a ugly deep dent right on the line on rear panel .
He said they will have PDR to remove it. but what if they cant get it 100% perfect ? from my experience deep dent on the line like that not likely to get 100% perfect from PDR .
Car is still at the dealer waiting for installing accessories and PDR.
Anyone with similar experience? feel free to share any suggestion what to do next ?

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raA1...ature=youtu.be

DO NOT ACCEPT, if you do, seek a DEEP discount. NEVER pay for an imperfect product!
davidkawai (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Sounds good - just do yourself a favor and after you check the vehicle over - make sure the paperwork including the registration is correct and for the right vehicle. Couldn't imagine the headache you would have trying to unscrew a mess where you have registration for one vehicle and drove off in another one. Likelihood of this is probably fairly small but again I would double check.
yea, need to make sure all new paperwork show the new vin# , and get my name out from the old one