Consumer Reports Blasts RDX Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Consumer Reports Blasts RDX Reliability

Just received January issue of consumer reports and did they do a number on the 19/20 RDX redesign. In the predicted reliability for 2020 models in the luxury compact suv category, RDX received a score of 19 on a scale of 100. For comparison the Lexus NX scored 89 (not a redesign). The article primarily spoke to redesign reliability issues of many makes and models, but specifically mentioned the rdx infotainment issues, display screen freezing, overall navigation system problems, trim pieces falling, premature wearing down of brakes, and squeaks and rattles. Fortunately any issues I had related to the infotainment system seem to have been corrected through system updates. If I hadn't owned Acura's previously I wouldn't even entertain looking at the RDX based on this review. Of course being Consumer Reports that often goes from not recommended to best in class or vice versa from one year to the next so you never know.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
They lump all different types of cars into one survey. They even have Toyota in there, not just lexus.
Infotainment issues are mostly resolved now. Lexus NX is not a good competitor for RDX, Its like apples and oranges.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

How about this https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2019/acura/rdx/awd
overall score 77, Lexus NX 83, x3 bmw 80.
you think 77 vs 83 a significant difference? Infoteinment was number one reason to drag it down, but its now
mostly resolved. All these reviews are BS
The following users liked this post:
Mark-RDX (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I spent 8+ months researching vehicles before deciding on the 2020 RDX. I also read all related CR articles on several brands. One of the most highly rated brands is Subaru so I seriously considered the 2019 Subaru Ascent rated #1 SUV by CR when it came out. Then I extensively read the forums. I recognize that forums by their nature attract more negative than positive comments but the sheer number of major issues--transmissions dying, moon roof cracks, defective struts, and more, scared me away from the Ascent. You will now see that CR ranks the Ascent much lower (from memory I’m thinking around #7?). The Kia Telluride is now #1.

When I read CRs review of the RDX, prior to purchasing one, I was obviously concerned. But when I read more carefully, nearly all of the reliability ratings were single or double green arrows, a few average and the negative on the infotainment system. The infotainment issues have largely been resolved. I don’t know what will happen with my brakes but that is an easy fix. I’m far more concerned about the engine, transmission, AWD system, etc., all of which show strong reliability. I hate rattles and squeaks so I’m hoping this will not be an issue but I’m also confident that my dealer willl take care of it. I also purchased a strong extended warranty after negotiating the quoted price to $1,000 lower.

After test driving the Kia Telluride, Hyundia Palasaide, and Subaru Outback, I settled on the RDX. I could have taken the safe route and purchased a Toyota (I own a 2014 Tundra and it has been nearly flawless). I was going to wait for the new 2020 Highlander but decided I don’t really need a 3 row SUV. The RDX test drive and dealer experience in contrast to the test drive of the Outback and the Subaru dealer experience, convinced me the RDX was right for me.

So, I’m cautiously optimistic that the RDX will prove to be a reliable vehicle--I sure hope so because I like the road dynamics, quality materials, technology, and looks far better than the other options I considered.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bmosbacker:
georgejohn (12-19-2019), GW208 (12-01-2019), hockeyaddict (12-01-2019), lionel464 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
They lump all different types of cars into one survey. They even have Toyota in there, not just lexus.
Infotainment issues are mostly resolved now. Lexus NX is not a good competitor for RDX, Its like apples and oranges.
No cigar unfortunately. Went on a road trip and infotainment issues persist with CarPlay as well as built in Navigation sucks. Unfortunately the more apps you have running simultaneously with Apple CarPlay such as Google Maps, Apple Music etc.......the more likely glitches will occur as happened to me.Too bad as I like the way the RDX handles the road and the power. Considering trading for either a Lexus RX or a 2020 Toyota Highlander now that Apple and Android are standard.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tecwerks
No cigar unfortunately. Went on a road trip and infotainment issues persist with CarPlay as well as built in Navigation sucks. Unfortunately the more apps you have running simultaneously with Apple CarPlay such as Google Maps, Apple Music etc.......the more likely glitches will occur as happened to me.Too bad as I like the way the RDX handles the road and the power. Considering trading for either a Lexus RX or a 2020 Toyota Highlander now that Apple and Android are standard.
I can’t speak to your experience but I run ACP-music and maps—with no issues. Fingers crossed but thus far I’ve experienced no infotainment issues. I’m running the latest iOS on an iPhone X with an Apple Mifi certified cable. I’m also using Bluetooth.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
I can’t speak to your experience but I run ACP-music and maps—with no issues. Fingers crossed but thus far I’ve experienced no infotainment issues. I’m running the latest iOS on an iPhone X with an Apple Mifi certified cable. I’m also using Bluetooth.
Just curious why you are using Bluetooth if you are using ACP-music and maps......
Old 12-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I use to subscribe to CR but dropped it a few years ago. They often make mountains out of mole hills (gotta sell subscriptions I guess). And at times it's like the 8 runners in the Olympic 100 meters. #8 finishes last every time (or is it ten??). Either way--the last finisher is fast as hell by world competition standards. But what a loser. They can all finish within a hair of each other but someone is still last. Yet very close to #1 often times. CR seems to miss this concept.
Mark-RDX (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Just curious why you are using Bluetooth if you are using ACP-music and maps......
I only use BT if I decide to use the Acura navigation and play SiriusXM. :-)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Pro

I only use BT if I decide to use the Acura navigation and play SiriusXM. :-)
Got it.....I did that too early on and BT was more reliable. However I do like the enhanced graphics one gets with channeling everything via ACP such as album art etc....but the proce you pay is the system slows down. Have not confirmed this but it seems the more stuff the infotainment system is funneling the slower things get like next song advance, alerts etc. Early on my suspicion was that the hardware is underpowered for all it has to do if you load it up. Bummer........
Old 12-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Have not had any issues with carplay and bluetooth music since last update.
also, infoteinment is low on my list of “important” in RDX
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Got it.....I did that too early on and BT was more reliable. However I do like the enhanced graphics one gets with channeling everything via ACP such as album art etc....but the proce you pay is the system slows down. Have not confirmed this but it seems the more stuff the infotainment system is funneling the slower things get like next song advance, alerts etc. Early on my suspicion was that the hardware is underpowered for all it has to do if you load it up. Bummer........
Probably additional RAM would help. Too bad one can’t add RAM. :-)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe some of the reviews are way over hyped. My wife wanted a 2019 CRV EX-L. You would have thought the world was ending with this alleged gas in the oil hype. That issue seemed to have evaporated when Honda made an adjustment to the software. We have never had any issues with her vehicle.

On my RDX Advance I have had zero issues with CarPlay or the Infotainment system. I love how when I am on the phone and start the car it automatically cues it into the system and I I can continue the call on the Speakerphone. I am on the phone a-lot for business calls and this makes it really good for me. Side note, I only have 1,700 miles on mine. If people are worried about the car and want to keep it real long term, buy the extended warranty.
lionel464 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark-RDX
I believe some of the reviews are way over hyped. My wife wanted a 2019 CRV EX-L. You would have thought the world was ending with this alleged gas in the oil hype. That issue seemed to have evaporated when Honda made an adjustment to the software. We have never had any issues with her vehicle.

On my RDX Advance I have had zero issues with CarPlay or the Infotainment system. I love how when I am on the phone and start the car it automatically cues it into the system and I I can continue the call on the Speakerphone. I am on the phone a-lot for business calls and this makes it really good for me. Side note, I only have 1,700 miles on mine. If people are worried about the car and want to keep it real long term, buy the extended warranty.
I bought mine on Friday and love it. I bought the extended warranty (I keep my cars a long time) after negotiating hard to cut $1k off of warranty quote. I’m expecting to have a largely very enjoyable owner experience.
Mark-RDX (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:54 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
If I were ranking the car, I would give it a 90 on that CR scale. If I were ranking Acura the company (specifically the software team) on that scale, I would them a 1.
The following 2 users liked this post by EFR:
oblio98 (12-02-2019), Wander (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I spent 8+ months researching vehicles before deciding on the 2020 RDX. I also read all related CR articles on several brands. One of the most highly rated brands is Subaru so I seriously considered the 2019 Subaru Ascent rated #1 SUV by CR when it came out. Then I extensively read the forums. I recognize that forums by their nature attract more negative than positive comments but the sheer number of major issues--transmissions dying, moon roof cracks, defective struts, and more, scared me away from the Ascent. You will now see that CR ranks the Ascent much lower (from memory I’m thinking around #7?). The Kia Telluride is now #1.

When I read CRs review of the RDX, prior to purchasing one, I was obviously concerned. But when I read more carefully, nearly all of the reliability ratings were single or double green arrows, a few average and the negative on the infotainment system. The infotainment issues have largely been resolved. I don’t know what will happen with my brakes but that is an easy fix. I’m far more concerned about the engine, transmission, AWD system, etc., all of which show strong reliability. I hate rattles and squeaks so I’m hoping this will not be an issue but I’m also confident that my dealer willl take care of it. I also purchased a strong extended warranty after negotiating the quoted price to $1,000 lower.

After test driving the Kia Telluride, Hyundia Palasaide, and Subaru Outback, I settled on the RDX. I could have taken the safe route and purchased a Toyota (I own a 2014 Tundra and it has been nearly flawless). I was going to wait for the new 2020 Highlander but decided I don’t really need a 3 row SUV. The RDX test drive and dealer experience in contrast to the test drive of the Outback and the Subaru dealer experience, convinced me the RDX was right for me.

So, I’m cautiously optimistic that the RDX will prove to be a reliable vehicle--I sure hope so because I like the road dynamics, quality materials, technology, and looks far better than the other options I considered.

Well, if what you are concerned about is how the RDX is as a car, it is freaking great, and the equal or better of any other SUV within 5K certainly, and maybe 10K.

As an infotainment device? It is getting there. Maybe a Hyundai might be better, maybe not. But hit an SH-AWD Acura on an uphill bend to the freeway, and there are few cars to match it, and none in the near price range.

It is a good car.
lionel464 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Even if toyota is more reliable, its so boring to drive. I am not getting something boring just because
some magazine says its more reliable!
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
Bmosbacker (12-01-2019), lionel464 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:46 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Good to know. I haven't run into infotainment issues yet but the interior build quality is absolute shit. I have squeaky brakes but I don't mind it since it's more superficial and goes away once warmed up - others obviously do mind. I'm not going to defend this car in the least. At it's core, it's a great car, but it has plenty of flaws that boil down simply to poor quality. It deserves a poor rating IMO. Just because it's from Japan's Big Three doesn't make it immune to being bad.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leomio85
Good to know. I haven't run into infotainment issues yet but the interior build quality is absolute shit. I have squeaky brakes but I don't mind it since it's more superficial and goes away once warmed up - others obviously do mind. I'm not going to defend this car in the least. At it's core, it's a great car, but it has plenty of flaws that boil down simply to poor quality. It deserves a poor rating IMO. Just because it's from Japan's Big Three doesn't make it immune to being bad.
Perhaps my standards are too low but I’ve thoroughly examined the interior and find the material and build quality quite nice. But I like the handling even better.
romer (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Perhaps my standards are too low but I’ve thoroughly examined the interior and find the material and build quality quite nice. But I like the handling even better.
The seats are comfortable, the leather is good. The power is good. The handling is good ( it is an SUV, after all), the ride is good. The utility is good. The sound quality is excellent. The driving aides are good.

In short, it sux.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
romer (12-01-2019), Starseer (12-13-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I pick my 2020 RDX up Friday. The software issues I read about everywhere is the only thing that has me freaked out a little.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by murdermaschine
I pick my 2020 RDX up Friday. The software issues I read about everywhere is the only thing that has me freaked out a little.
Tell them to make sure that it is updated and current. Give them a couple of days notice.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The seats are comfortable, the leather is good. The power is good. The handling is good ( it is an SUV, after all), the ride is good. The utility is good. The sound quality is excellent. The driving aides are good.

In short, it sux.
indeed, that was my point to leomio85. :-)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I asked the sales guy if all that would be updated before pickup and he told me all the updates are done automatically via wifi...
Old 12-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Back when Honda/Acura were at the top of the CR reports, everyone loved them, but now that they're not, apparently CR is full of crap. Interesting....

The funny thing is, the stuff I'm reading here is the exact same type of stuff I see on the Giulia forums.
leomio85 (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 08:24 PM

How long have you had the car? It was solid up until it neared 3k miles. Then creaks, clicks and rattles began to rear their ugly heads ... indicative of poor build and material quality. Just eclipsed 5k miles. This is the best the car is going to hold together, with more NVH issues down the road. Pretty abysmal if you ask me. I'm not worried about the car mechanically, but the electrical issues that seem more and more inevitable are probably going to keep this from being a long-term ownership. I hope I'm wrong on that front, but time will tell.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Back when Honda/Acura were at the top of the CR reports, everyone loved them, but now that they're not, apparently CR is full of crap. Interesting....

The funny thing is, the stuff I'm reading here is the exact same type of stuff I see on the Giulia forums.
From my understanding, CR gets their info from consumers ... so if it's a low rating, it's because people who purchased the vehicles are reporting negatively on them. But yea, many Toyota and Honda owners are staunchly set in their beliefs that their particular automaker can do no wrong. Dumb motherfuckers.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came to think of CR as a bunch of fussy old ladies a long, long time ago. (No offense to old ladies, just fussy ones.)
They will ding a feature if that reviewer does not like it. They have become subjective to a major fault.
Plus, being in a different industry, I have come to believe that their reputation has become questionable.
All this being said, we are 3 weeks into our new 2020 RDX SH-AWD Tech, and I cannot find a darn thing wrong with it yet.
Infotainment system, including Android Car Play, works just fine. No issues. Great car.

Mark-RDX (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Drifting

To be fair to them, the infotainment system was something to really criticize.

For me, the issues seem to have been resolved, but the syste crapped out far too much.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I am super impressed with the recent infotainment system software update. It not only added Android Auto, but the Android Auto has been flawless for me thus far. That is amazing that they added Android Auto to it without any glitches, crashes, and general instability in the first release. I'm shocked, actually. Only negative I can find with the Android Auto setup is that it doesn't use the Absolute Positioning style of interacting with the cursor like the rest of the infotainment system.

Last edited by catalytic_ca; 12-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

People that got 2020 are less upset with Infotainment as they are on the newer version. I am more upset about this squeaky suspension thing.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I am more upset about this squeaky suspension thing.
Please explain. Lately I've been hearing a squeaky scrunchy noise when I go over bumps.

[edit] Found the thread in Problems and Fixes. 104 entries and 24k views. Must be my imagination.

Last edited by Wander; 12-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Please explain. Lately I've been hearing a squeaky scrunchy noise when I go over bumps.

[edit] Found the thread in Problems and Fixes. 104 entries and 24k views. Must be my imagination.
yep, that’s an accurate description. It seems to be present in cold more, speed bumps in parking lots is where you hear it more.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
This is the first and last Acura I will purchase, honestly at the end of the day it feels like I'm driving an optioned out Honda. What really seals the deal for me is that idiotic hesitation the transmission has that makes driving very unsafe, and that's not a defect it's an engineering decision somewhere along the line. I'm also noticing more squeaks and noises, yesterday I was in Manhattan and anyone from the east coast knows how crappy their roads are so all the squeaks and rattles in my RDX were really noticeable.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
This is the first and last Acura I will purchase, honestly at the end of the day it feels like I'm driving an optioned out Honda. What really seals the deal for me is that idiotic hesitation the transmission has that makes driving very unsafe, and that's not a defect it's an engineering decision somewhere along the line. I'm also noticing more squeaks and noises, yesterday I was in Manhattan and anyone from the east coast knows how crappy their roads are so all the squeaks and rattles in my RDX were really noticeable.
bye
Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Autoblog had a pretty good writeup about why Honda (and Acura) quality has dropped over the last decade. And before anyone claims "oh, it's the media, oh, CR and JD Power are misleading", objectively the amount of money Honda has spent on warranty repairs (excluding all the Takata airbag stuff) has ballooned the past few years.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/10/...o-streamlining

A senior engineer at a technical centre north of Tokyo in Utsunomiya, where Honda does much of its development, said the root of the problem was the "crazy complexity" of its vehicle range and all the associated engineering processes."Quality is acting up," the engineer said. "Honda has created too many regional models, in addition to an array of types, options and derivatives for its global models."
In the four years before the Takata debacle, warranty provisions ranged from 171 billion to 274 billion yen, before surging to 727 billion in the year ending March 2016.
Honda's problems stem largely from an aggressive expansion before Hachigo took over in 2015. In addition to so-called global models such as the Civic, Accord and CR-V sports-utility vehicle (SUV), Honda developed a host of regional models which now account for 40% of its global car sales.They include the Crider sedan in China, the Brio and the Mobilio in southeast Asia, the WR-V in Latin America, which is also now sold in India, the Pilot SUV in the United States and the N-series of micro-minis in Japan.

Its global models, which account for 60% of sales, come with an array of equipment options and vehicle trims that Hachigo, an engineer by training who has worked at Honda since 1982, has called unnecessary product derivatives.

The explosion in the number of regional models had an unintended consequence: the engineering became more complex and the elevated workload led to lapses in quality and costly recalls, two company sources said.
Given that Acura builds exclusively regional models, I wouldn't be surprised to see Honda pull back on the autonomy given to Acura, and for it to revert back to more of a Japanese operation than an American operation.

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Drifting

That's not exactly good news, but maybe there's hope for the future?

I find it interesting that Hachigo called out suppliers. I do wonder what this means for "experiments" like the new Acura-only infotainment system.

It was clear at the two-day suppliers' powwow that Hachigo meant business.

Without naming names, Honda executives discussed exemplary product development projects — and bad ones — so lessons could be learned. It was fairly obvious within Honda's small community of suppliers who was being singled out and they weren't happy, said one supplier at the meeting.

So much so that some skipped golf on day two.
( In Japanese business, I believe skipping golf with the boss is a close 2nd to ritual suicide in acknowledging dishonor ).

Last edited by Wander; 12-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
At least with the Acura RDX, a significant portion of those complaints stem from the infotainment system, so a simple fix would be to improve the software development and QA / UAT process. As so much in cars these days is software based, it has to be a strategic priority and area of focus for the company. And yet, I didn't read a single sentence about that in the article.

The QA / UAT process could even include avid customers who would probably want to be beta testers for Honda / Acura. Who here would have liked to test the RDX's new infotainment system back in 2017 to help with beta testing? I bet a lot of people would have been happy to do it for free. They could have released the RDX with mature infotainment software from the start.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
The QA / UAT process could even include avid customers who would probably want to be beta testers for Honda / Acura. Who here would have liked to test the RDX's new infotainment system back in 2017 to help with beta testing? I bet a lot of people would have been happy to do it for free. They could have released the RDX with mature infotainment software from the start.
This sounds like a good idea, but Honda/Acura is incredibly secretive about future model specifications, including appearance, so I'm not sure how this would work. It might have to be a test mule with the infotainment system cobbled into a current vehicle, and who would want to drive that unless they were being paid to do so?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Acura is just a polished Honda. I couldn't care less about the brand. Honestly, if they mated the CRV with the RDX's powertrain and suspension, I'd have gone for that in a heartbeat. Could be worse ... the dealer gave me a '20 TLX loaner a couple days ago and when I got inside, I was appalled at how terrible the interior is on those things. But back to the RDX, I concur the build quality is unacceptable on them. I mirror the sentiment that this is likely the last Acura product I'll ever own ... unless the TLX Type S is a beast and doesn't have a worse interior than an Accord.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Blasts RDX Reliability