Considering 2022 RDX A-Spec coming from 2012 TL 6 Speed Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Considering 2022 RDX A-Spec coming from 2012 TL 6 Speed Manual...

Hey guys:
I am in the market for a bigger vehicle that gives me the same enjoyment as my beloved 2012 TL. I only have 51k on my baby and have an offer of 16K from a couple online car buying services.
I am considering the 2022 Aspec RDX as a substitute. I know the 0-60 numbers on it are anywhere from 6-6.5 which is about .7 seconds slower than my TL. Is that fairly accurate ? Has anyone else made the jump to the RDX from their TL ?
I would like to have a vehicle that I personally enjoy but also we could use for hauling around family and other stuff occasionally. I already have an older MDX still going strong, so I dont want another one of those.
I found a 2022 RDX Aspec I like for 41K with about 18K on the odometer. A service loaner. I am not married to that one, as deals come up all the time. But it does look nice. The red gauges seem a little over the top for me, but I like everything else. Thanks in advance for any replies.

J
Old 08-07-2023, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Hey guys:
I am in the market for a bigger vehicle that gives me the same enjoyment as my beloved 2012 TL. I only have 51k on my baby and have an offer of 16K from a couple online car buying services.
I am considering the 2022 Aspec RDX as a substitute. I know the 0-60 numbers on it are anywhere from 6-6.5 which is about .7 seconds slower than my TL. Is that fairly accurate ? Has anyone else made the jump to the RDX from their TL ?
I would like to have a vehicle that I personally enjoy but also we could use for hauling around family and other stuff occasionally. I already have an older MDX still going strong, so I dont want another one of those.
I found a 2022 RDX Aspec I like for 41K with about 18K on the odometer. A service loaner. I am not married to that one, as deals come up all the time. But it does look nice. The red gauges seem a little over the top for me, but I like everything else. Thanks in advance for any replies.

J
There is a detailed discussion on RDX 0-60 in another thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-time-1003882/

I am also shopping for an RDX. Interestingly, when I was look for a daily sedan a few years back, I almost bought a manual tranny TL. I ended up with an auto Infiniti Q50. I own two other cars that are manual so I can still get my fix! Anyway, a manual TL is a great car and is going to be big shoes to fill. Lol. Good luck!

Last edited by Otherbmw; 08-07-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Hey guys:

J
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you haven't yet driven an RDX?

If so, definitely try one with and without the adaptive suspension. I've only ever driven a 2019 A-Spec without the adaptive dampeners but for 2022 you can get an Elite-Aspec with the adaptive dampening and from what I've read they've made some significant changes to where the sport/comfort modes are drastically different and also that the models with the dampeners (in sport mode) are drastically better handling than the ones without. So that may be a lot closer to what you're looking for.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:58 AM
Umpire #27

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I came from 2009 TL and went all in with 2022 Aspec Advanced. I keep my cars for a long time and felt like the extra $$ for the Aspec Adv is well worth it (Sport + Luxury). Here’s my take:

PROs
size & space
seats and comfort
quiet ride with dampers
Sporty feel and handling for SUV
sound system
wireless car play integration
Pano roof

CONs
very quick but likely not as fast as TL
Gas mileage - especially in Sport Mode

Overall - it’s been a great transition. If you’re getting good $$$ for your trade, I would put that towards a newer 2022 or 2023 Aspec Advanced - look at as a long term investment and get all the bells & whistles. Plus, all the fixes seems to be worked out with the ‘22 & ‘23 models. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions/concerns

Old 08-08-2023, 06:52 AM
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Hey guys:

J
My current car is a MT and my previous car was a 2012 Accord V6-6MT. That 3.5-liter V6 (I know your 2012 TL uses a 3.7 liter) was a spectacular engine. Like all turbo-4 engines, the RDX’s 2.0T will feel different. It is not bad, but you will miss the instant throttle response and playfulness of that V6. Like most Honda engines, the 2.0T needs to be above 4,000 rpm for strong power.

The Acura’s automatic transmission can be slow to downshift. But of you press the D/S button on the console, you can manually shift gears with the same level of control as a MT. Perhaps your MDX has the feature too. You can anticipate and downshift before you need power to elevate the rpm, just like in a MT. When the automatic transmission is in normal mode, I find it tries to keep the 2.0T around 1,500 rpm in congested highway traffic. Sometimes that feels too low when the A/C is on or when the car has a full load. Boost does not build quickly at that low rpm. When I apply gas at that low rpm, it either lags badly or downshifts, which is another form of lag. In MT mode (paddle shifter), I can keep the transmission locked in a lower gear (around 2,000 rpm) and completely eliminate that irritating sluggishness. It’s not a DCT, but in manual mode the shifts are pleasantly quick and solid.

Overall, the RDX has a playful personality. The suspension is firm but not harsh. Great steering. Just last weekend I returned from Connecticut, (I live in NJ), and spent a good 15 minutes straight at 85-90+mph on the NJ Parkway (many long bending curves). It felt VERY stable and surprisingly quiet. No sense of strain.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Hey guys:

J
it's a 180 from what you have, that not bad - but definitely very different.

I came from a 2016 Genesis Coupe - Brembo brakes, sport suspension, staggered 19" wheels and 348 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque naturally aspired V6. Was a super grand tourer and miss that ride. I got my 21 RDX Aspec SHawd and its a "sporty SUV", not a "sports SUV". I honestly didn't like it after a few thousand miles - as I was so use to sport cars that were a blast to drive. However, I grew into the RDX, especially after spending the winter in snow country - the SHawd is a tractor in all conditions. Never got stuck or let me down, she is a beast in those conditions. Plus, a super road tripper - so easy with the tech (lane keep assist, radar cruise control, BSM and the comfortable seats and relativity quiet cabin - can do 600+ miles easily solo.

It's a nice ride, very capable in all weather and a terrific road tripper. MPG in the city is awful to put it mildly - highway driving will get 25-27mpg below 75 mph. There are draw backs to siting up high. So really depends on what you want. There will be a lot of compromise in handling and performance, thats to be expected being heavier, sitting up higher and oriented toward hauling stuff.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I went from my '01 3.2 CL Type-S to my '23 RDX A-Spec Advance. I can safely say that the RDX is fantastic and scratches that sporty itch for me. It tears up corners and I've been able to induce a bit of tail out oversteer exiting a few turns.

Coming from a naturally aspirated V6 to this 2.0L turbo 4, I do miss a bit of the throttle response and high rpm VTEC shenanigans. But the trade-off for the platform and drivetrain, coupled with the practicality and tech is well worth it.

I'm really glad I went with an A-Spec Advance, as I was originally looking at used A-Spec models. I'd encourage you to do the same. The extra sound deadening, tech and adaptive dampers make a huge difference on a daily basis. Sport feels night and day different from Comfort.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Thanks. What does the advanced add that the Aspec doesn't ? I am currently shopping 2022 A-specs, I like the wheels on the Aspec over the Aspec advanced. And to my understanding, the 2022 is much quieter than the 2019=2021's.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks. What does the advanced add that the Aspec doesn't ? I am currently shopping 2022 A-specs, I like the wheels on the Aspec over the Aspec advanced. And to my understanding, the 2022 is much quieter than the 2019=2021's.
The biggest additions for me were the 360° camera, the heads-up display and adaptive dampers. I think there's an argument for just the adaptive dampers alone being enough to justify the price increase. They really do transform the vehicle. Just wish there was an "Individual" mode.

I also like the A-Spec wheels better than the A-Spec Advance wheels, considering buying a set to swap between summer/winter tires.