CarPlay issues are not limited to the RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
CarPlay issues are not limited to the RDX

According to this article, many CarPlay users who are running the latest iOS firmware are experiencing numerous bugs with CarPlay.

I have occasionally experienced
  1. CarPlay not booting and requiring me to turn off the car for awhile before trying again.
  2. 2) audio not playing through the car even though the CarPlay interface is working.
I only started experiencing these issues in recent iOS updates (I also run beta firmware), so I believe the issues are most likely caused by iOS and not the infotainment system. We can't always point fingers at Acura (even though there are many reasons to)!
Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you explain how is the problems you are having?
My problem has been happening for months, while using multiple IOS versions, and multiple System updates that never fixed the issue.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leonardo Tendrih
My problem has been happening for months, while using multiple IOS versions, and multiple System updates that never fixed the issue.
For issue (1), an error displays on my infotainment screen shortly after plugging in my phone. The only isolated solution I've found successful is to power cycle the car. The same can probably be achieved by power cycling the infotainment system but I haven't tried.

For issue (2), I think it happens most when my phone is plugged before turning on the car. However, it's not 100% consistent with any series of events. This issue is usually (always?) resolved by disconnecting then reconnecting my phone.

What issues are you having?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Mustachio (02-12-2020), NBPDC505 (04-28-2021)
Old 02-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonardo Tendrih
then you need to continue narrowing it down, I never have carplay issues anymore, could be lint in your charging port, a crappy USB cable, or 100 other things
Old 02-12-2020, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

My issue, and many others at an Apple Forum is that Apple CarPlay drops after 5- to 8 minutes connected (3 out of 5 times), and stays disconnected (not even allowing USB Music or plugging and unplugging the same or a different phone or USB device) for another 5 to 8 minutes. After that, connects again just to disconnect after 5 to 8 minutes. The only solution is to turn car on and off (open door of course) and try again, and pray that it would be the 2 out 5 that works!

You can see the problem on this link:

I tried multiple cables, brand new ones, different phones. No luck. Multiple system updates and iOS updates, also no luck.
At this point, I am hopeless.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

Sure! But my phone works on other Apple Car Plays (other cars), even on another RDX (the loaner from the dealer), but not on mine.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I've used carplay on a daily basis since buying my 2020 RDX in October and never had that issue once. I do use an actual apple cable and I have an iPhone X. I've seen soooo many third party cables that even when brand new are dodgy for any data interface. I use them all the time to charge the phone, no problem, but then I try them on my Macbook and they disconnect constantly. If I use actual Apple cable it works every time. I have found also with the many rental cars I've had over the last year that CarPlay is stable across a number of manufacturers.

Try this - use canned air to blow out the lightning port on your phone and the USB port on the car. Factory reset the infotainment system and then use actual Apple cable and see what that gets you. If it still disconnects like that, I'd wager the USB interface on your car has issues.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:11 AM
4th Gear

Have you attempted to repair your iPhone with the car? Delete all remembered iPhone connections in the car and delete all existing cars from the iPhone. I had problems when iOS 13.0 was first released, but only on my new iPhone 11 Pro Max. My old iPhone XS Max worked perfect though. Once I deleted all existing connections and upgraded to 13.1.1 beta, the phone worked flawlessly. It's worked flawlessly ever since.

Did you recently upgrade your phone? It could be a glitch in your restore file when you upgraded phones.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over on the Apple support communities site, many 2019 -2020 RDX owners who have been suffering from CarPlay disconnects have noted recently that performing the factory default reset in their cars has, at least for now, stabilized CarPlay & resolved the disconnect problem. NO ONE believes this is a permanent fix, but it seems after the last firmware update, resetting to default seems to be working for now. It’s been working for me for about a week so far, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We all noticed that the Android Auto icon is now available & that may be some indication of a new level of stability. Who knows?
Old 03-28-2021, 01:59 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have similar issues
every 2to3 days I have to do a Factory Data Reset
to have the Navi system recognize my iPhone 8

sometimes after it resets my sound system only plays thru 1 speaker
the one behind the Navi screes

in this case a second FD reset is required

i have brought my Rdx 2020 back to the dealer 4 times
i have conversed with Acura car play tech support
and I have have numerous conversations with Apple

no one seems to be able or willing to help

its a blame game

if anyone has had similar issues and has any ideas

I would be extremely appreciative

thanks to all who have read thsi

it really staeted a few months back with an Acura link software update which said it would run for 15-20 minutes

it only ran for 5 seconds

Very very frustrating

Old 04-07-2021, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alexrx
I have similar issues

its a blame game

it really staeted a few months back with an Acura link software update which said it would run for 15-20 minutes

Very very frustrating
Have you tried using a different cable? I had similar issues as you and that resolved it.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:05 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
I have similar issues

its a blame game

Very very frustrating
If everyones that aggravated then use Bluetooth for audio and phone. Another bonus is its wireless. No cables required. Dumber interface but zero hiccups.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
If everyones that aggravated then use Bluetooth for audio and phone. Another bonus is its wireless. No cables required. Dumber interface but zero hiccups.
I wouldn't say zero hiccups, but definitely less hiccups. Also, people shouldn't have to choose a lesser connection because the automaker can't get proper engineers/coders for their infotainment system. Don't offer an option if it is only half-baked just to check a box. UX is a long memory for many customers in their future purchasing decisions.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 PM
6th Gear

How about I just won’t ever purchase another Acura again
that should solve my Apple car play issues that Elitte Acura in Maple Shade isn’t interested in trying to fix
Old 04-08-2021, 08:45 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay with Acura???

After the first 18 months of ownership, CarPlay stabilized somewhat on my 2019 RDX. I still get an occasional unavailable, but it’s seldom and it usually clears up after restarting the engine. After loving my 2009 TL and being disappointed in the infotainment system in the RDX, I’m wondering about wireless CarPlay and charging in the 2022 MDX. Has anyone heard anything about CarPlay in that model?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Slack Machine
After the first 18 months of ownership, CarPlay stabilized somewhat on my 2019 RDX. I still get an occasional unavailable, but it’s seldom and it usually clears up after restarting the engine. After loving my 2009 TL and being disappointed in the infotainment system in the RDX, I’m wondering about wireless CarPlay and charging in the 2022 MDX. Has anyone heard anything about CarPlay in that model?
I did a 2 hour solo test drive with a 2022 MDX Aspec. I can verify that the at least for 2 hours of testing the the wireless CarPlay worked flawlessly. Now believe it or not I am not that interested in a MDX anymore after the test drive. Compared to the RDX its not as agile as my 2019 RDX ASpec. I am hoping when my lease is up in September the 2022 RDX's are out and have been upgraded to wireless CarPlay and whatever updated infotainment system/hardware that's in the 22 MDX.
The following users liked this post:
Slack Machine (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 893 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about CarPlay in that model?
A '22 MDX owner in another thread complained that they couldn't have a USB plugged in and use wireless CP at the same time (ie. same boat as those of us w/o wireless CP). They only have the convenience of not needing to connect the lightning cable.

Before anyone asks, folks like me would prefer to keep and play our hi-rez music on USB while simultaneously using CP apps (like Waze).
markm929 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Now believe it or not I am not that interested in a MDX anymore after the test drive. Compared to the RDX its not as agile as my 2019 RDX ASpec. I am hoping when my lease is up in September the 2022 RDX's are out and have been upgraded to wireless CarPlay and whatever updated infotainment system/hardware that's in the 22 MDX.
Imagine my surprise to hear that a non-Type S MDX weighing a good 500 lbs more is "not as agile" as a 2019 RDX A-Spec. You would need to get the forthcoming Type S to have anything close to "agile."

Wireless carplay would be a welcome addition....as long as you don't care about playing hi-rez music via USB at the same time.
markm929 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
Imagine my surprise to hear that a non-Type S MDX weighing a good 500 lbs more is "not as agile" as a 2019 RDX A-Spec. You would need to get the forthcoming Type S to have anything close to "agile."

Wireless carplay would be a welcome addition....as long as you don't care about playing hi-rez music via USB at the same time.
@ELIN I have a music app Radio Paradise (free) that I’ve been using for years available for Apple and Android that streams FLAC. It’s worth checking out imho.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Drifting

@ELIN I have a music app Radio Paradise (free) that I’ve been using for years available for Apple and Android that streams FLAC. It’s worth checking out imho.
The service's capability is different than the device's capability. Back when I had Amazon Music HD, my app reported that my iPhone was only capable of outputting 24-bit 48 kHz. You may be playing FLAC's but your phone is the limitation. You can also forget about multichannel tracks (Amazon Music's version is called 3D) as those will only play via home devices like receivers or USB stick only (where the car does the processing). FWIW, our Acuras can do MCH FLAC's at 24/96 and stereo FLAC's at 24/192.

I stopped paying for Amazon Music HD when I realized I could never play better than really, really good CD quality music (nothing approaching SACD or DVD-A and definitely not BD-Audio quality).

If we're talking CP/AA, the weakest link is always the phone.

Last edited by ELIN; 04-08-2021 at 11:55 AM.
markm929 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Racer

The service's capability is different than the device's capability. Back when I had Amazon Music HD, my app reported that my iPhone was only capable of outputting 24-bit 48 kHz. You may be playing FLAC's but your phone is the limitation. You can also forget about multichannel tracks (Amazon Music's version is called 3D) as those will only play via home devices like receivers or USB stick only (where the car does the processing). FWIW, our Acuras can do MCH FLAC's at 24/96 and stereo FLAC's at 24/192.

I stopped paying for Amazon Music HD when I realized I could never play better than really, really good CD quality music (nothing approaching SACD or DVD-A and definitely not BD-Audio quality).

Just a correction the RDX audio system can process MCH FLACs at 24/48 and the Stereo FLACs at 24/96.
ELIN (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Pro

Fair enough. To me it’s not worth worrying about as my music in the RDX sounds awesome with either Apple Music or Radio Paradise at full blast.

ELIN (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by markm929
Just a correction the RDX audio system can process MCH FLACs at 24/48 and the Stereo FLACs at 24/96.
Yes, you are correct. Too late for me to edit but thanks for the correction!

I got my specs b/w car audio and home audio products mixed up sometimes...
markm929 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Fair enough. To me it’s not worth worrying about as my music in the RDX sounds awesome with either Apple Music or Radio Paradise at full blast.
At the end of the day, the majority of people can't tell the difference b/w lossy and lossless audio and that's the reason why mp3's and similar compressed audio are so popular!
Old 04-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Pro

At the end of the day, the majority of people can't tell the difference b/w lossy and lossless audio and that's the reason why mp3's and similar compressed audio are so popular!
@ELIN So true, that’s why I only listen to RP and Apple Music as they are lossless and fine by me. MP3’s suck. On another note you should have seen what the audio world was like 50 years ago, I had the Macintosh, Nakamichi, Planar speakers, subwoofer, etc setup. Super expensive in those days. Big improvements since then for sure……
Old 04-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Drifting

@ELIN So true, that’s why I only listen to RP and Apple Music as they are lossless and fine by me. MP3’s suck. On another note you should have seen what the audio world was like 50 years ago, I had the Macintosh, Nakamichi, Planar speakers, subwoofer, etc setup. Super expensive in those days. Big improvements since then for sure……
15 years ago, I used to work at Magnolia in Best Buy selling high end home theater equipment. It was always much easier selling video-related equipment vs audio to the typical consumer. I applaud Acura for the focus on the audio aspect but a lot of what makes the 3D ELS system great is lost on the average consumer. Premium and luxury car makers carry "name brand" audio equipment because that's what customers know. I feel the Acura sound system unfairly takes a couple knocks by reviewers simply because it's not Bose, Bang & Olufson, Harmon Kardon, etc.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Racer

Not sure you have that correct, Apple Music streams are encoded in AAC format – a lossy format that strips out data in a destructive manner. It is better than MP3s, but by no means high quality lossless music.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 PM
6th Gear

Who really believes Apple car play works intermittently because i’m not using the official Apple brand cord !
Why won’t Acura or Honda admit there are other people besides me with Apple car play issues
Why won’t Acura try to fix the issue
Why do they tell you their policy is for the customer to call Apple but I’m the only one complaining, then why do you have a policy
Why do they seem to not care
Why does Acuralink promise to call you back but never follows up
Why would I ever but another Acura
Just POOR customer service
tecwerks (04-09-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Over on the Apple support communities site, many 2019 -2020 RDX owners who have been suffering from CarPlay disconnects have noted recently that performing the factory default reset in their cars has, at least for now, stabilized CarPlay & resolved the disconnect problem. NO ONE believes this is a permanent fix, but it seems after the last firmware update, resetting to default seems to be working for now. It’s been working for me for about a week so far, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We all noticed that the Android Auto icon is now available & that may be some indication of a new level of stability. Who knows?
this has worked for me twice, but eventually the problems always start back up. Not to mention that wiping out every preference you have for the car is a huge PIA and not a reasonable solution.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:42 PM
6th Gear

I perform a factory data reset 3 times a week

not a workable answer

how about Honda just fix The F—-ing issue
Old 02-13-2022, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 671 Likes on 417 Posts
I perform a factory data reset 3 times a week

not a workable answer

how about Honda just fix The F—-ing issue
Have you brought it to the dealer? Keep harassing them until they fix it. The infotainment is an integral part of the vehicle and may be subject to Lemon Law in your state. Funny ... I punched in "Lemon Law infotainment" in Google and all the top hits pertain to Honda's infotainment. Having to reset it 3x a week is beyond excessive IMO.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Have you brought it to the dealer? Keep harassing them until they fix it. The infotainment is an integral part of the vehicle and may be subject to Lemon Law in your state. Funny ... I punched in "Lemon Law infotainment" in Google and all the top hits pertain to Honda's infotainment. Having to reset it 3x a week is beyond excessive IMO.
Whoever is in charge of infotainment development at Honda should have been fired years ago.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
No amount of software is going to fix the old hardware that Acura is using. You’re using hardware and software from 2014/2015. It’s a memory issue that causes the crashes. Plus all the other stuff that is running in the background constantly. The 22s have switched chipsets which work better to handshake with iOS and Android. There really is no fix but a hardware and android os update for the RDXs.

Last edited by RiotfunK; 02-14-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RiotfunK
No amount of software is going to fix the old hardware that Acura is using. You’re using hardware and software from 2014/2015. It’s a memory issue that causes the crashes. Plus all the other stuff that is running in the background constantly. The 22s have switched chipsets which work better to handshake with iOS and Android. There really is no fix but a hardware and android os update for the RDXs.
Exactly, In my 2019 I listened to Apple Music via Bluetooth to mitigate the crashes. It worked. Now in the 22 CarPlay is definitely better but still has visual glitches although the band keeps playing.