Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
Car Washing

Hey all,

Just out of curiosity, what method of washing are you currently using for your RDX? I used to try to hand wash as much as possible, but I recently moved and don't have access to a hose as readily. So, I've been running it through the touches automatic. I like the idea behind it, but my car still comes out looking like crap. My only other alternative is a soft-cloth automatic car wash. Those do clean well, but they swirl the paint and/or scratch it. I guess it's kind of a no-win battler between the two washes.

I know that there is the option to go to the manual self-service wash bays and do it yourself, but that is so time consuming. My work schedule isn't always conducive to doing that.

Anyone else using a soft-cloth wash?

My only other thought is to run it through a touches automatic, go home and then do a rinse-less wash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2023, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
If you don't have a place to wash then Optimum No Rinse (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1) or similar will do the trick. Get a Big Red Sponge (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...big-red-sponge) and you're all set. In the winter this is how I wash - I do it inside my garage and, if it's not too dirty, I can be done in 15-20 mins. It's a fantastic product that doesn't scratch up the paint.

You only need to do a touchless wash if the car is really dirty otherwise you can just pre-soak it with ONR (spray bottle).
Old 03-06-2023, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
If you don't have a place to wash then Optimum No Rinse (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1) or similar will do the trick. Get a Big Red Sponge (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...big-red-sponge) and you're all set. In the winter this is how I wash - I do it inside my garage and, if it's not too dirty, I can be done in 15-20 mins. It's a fantastic product that doesn't scratch up the paint.

You only need to do a touchless wash if the car is really dirty otherwise you can just pre-soak it with ONR (spray bottle).
This is the answer. I lived in an apartment for years and ONR was awesome. It’s so convenient that in the winter, I’d use warm water from the sink and wear rubber gloves.

Never use an automatic wash. Even if they’re “touch free,” they use super harsh chemicals that will quickly fade your plastic trim. Nevermind the fact that they do a crappy job.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I was always in 'Camp Do-it-Yourself' because of the whole swirl marks and such, and admittedly still am. But, a colleague of mine prepays for those unlimited car wash packages that includes wash and wax over a year. He pays like $400 annually, gets the car done 3-4x a month, and I have to say, it looks better than my car that I hand wash.

Maybe that goop that they splooge all over your car actually does help protect against swirls? He's got a silver car, so it does hide swirls, but even the black window trim has fared better than my RDX. Or maybe Jeep's clearcoat is just better than Acura's.

Obviously, there's quite a bit of cost savings doing it yourself ... but sometimes I'm tempted to just give in and go to these automated car wash packages. Saves time, my back ... and ultimately, the car would look cleaner more often, especially in the winter.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually use a sponge
Old 03-07-2023, 03:52 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
Being a PMC with the special paint, we did a full PPF (xpel self healing) wrap on our RDX and got a touchless membership.

Wash it probably 2-3 times a week and it looks immaculate all the time even in salty/snowy Boston. Agree that the waxes the touchless uses do help repel dirt if you wash often enough.

My mdx didnt get ppf but looks amazingly clean after touchless washes too, but seems to show drops/dirt more readily after rain, so the XPEL is helping a bit too.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I was always in 'Camp Do-it-Yourself' because of the whole swirl marks and such, and admittedly still am. But, a colleague of mine prepays for those unlimited car wash packages that includes wash and wax over a year. He pays like $400 annually, gets the car done 3-4x a month, and I have to say, it looks better than my car that I hand wash.

Maybe that goop that they splooge all over your car actually does help protect against swirls? He's got a silver car, so it does hide swirls, but even the black window trim has fared better than my RDX. Or maybe Jeep's clearcoat is just better than Acura's.

Obviously, there's quite a bit of cost savings doing it yourself ... but sometimes I'm tempted to just give in and go to these automated car wash packages. Saves time, my back ... and ultimately, the car would look cleaner more often, especially in the winter.
This is where I’m at as well! I also have some health problems that have gotten worse, so hand washing isn’t as easy for me as it was 10 years ago. However, I still like my car to look good.

So, this is kind of my plan at this point. I’m going to give the automatic wash a try. If and when the paint gets swirled up, I will have it buffed. While this isn’t the most cost effective process, it will work out much better for me.

Also, we take my wife’s 23’ Subaru through this wash multiple times per week. Her car, including the B Pillars look pristine, so who knows?

Worth a try, I guess..
Old 03-07-2023, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
This is where I’m at as well! I also have some health problems that have gotten worse, so hand washing isn’t as easy for me as it was 10 years ago. However, I still like my car to look good.

So, this is kind of my plan at this point. I’m going to give the automatic wash a try. If and when the paint gets swirled up, I will have it buffed. While this isn’t the most cost effective process, it will work out much better for me.

Also, we take my wife’s 23’ Subaru through this wash multiple times per week. Her car, including the B Pillars look pristine, so who knows?

Worth a try, I guess..
I'm sure having a lighter color car helps the argument for automatic car washes over dark colors that will more easily show swirls. Obviously, my evidence is anecdotal at best.

Another story that popped into my head. Back when I worked for my dad at the repair shop, there was a pensioner who brought his light green Toyota Avalon in meticulously every 3k miles, if not sooner.

His oil would always still have a golden hue to it. I would tell him all the time he could go longer on the oil since he did almost exclusively highway miles. He would tell me to "shut up and do [his] oil change, kid." The car eclipsed 300k miles while I worked there, and the interior and exterior were in incredible shape. Yes, it had swirls, but nothing crazy, especially for a car with that amount of miles.

He never hand washed it. Automatic car washes only. He also "splurged" on the higher end package that throws that protectant all over your car. Thinking back, it made the paint incredibly slick, which I'm sure does something to help protect the paint.

That being said, looking around the internet, you'd think a car with this many years and miles would have its paint completely peeled off by automatic car washes.

Hell, it's 40*F here right now and I'm dreading going out to wash the car, lol. I might have just talked myself into trying out these car washes.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:25 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I'm sure having a lighter color car helps the argument for automatic car washes over dark colors that will more easily show swirls. Obviously, my evidence is anecdotal at best.

Another story that popped into my head. Back when I worked for my dad at the repair shop, there was a pensioner who brought his light green Toyota Avalon in meticulously every 3k miles, if not sooner.

His oil would always still have a golden hue to it. I would tell him all the time he could go longer on the oil since he did almost exclusively highway miles. He would tell me to "shut up and do [his] oil change, kid." The car eclipsed 300k miles while I worked there, and the interior and exterior were in incredible shape. Yes, it had swirls, but nothing crazy, especially for a car with that amount of miles.

He never hand washed it. Automatic car washes only. He also "splurged" on the higher end package that throws that protectant all over your car. Thinking back, it made the paint incredibly slick, which I'm sure does something to help protect the paint.

That being said, looking around the internet, you'd think a car with this many years and miles would have its paint completely peeled off by automatic car washes.

Hell, it's 40*F here right now and I'm dreading going out to wash the car, lol. I might have just talked myself into trying out these car washes.
I threw in the towel long ago caring about any “swirls”. People still get some swirls washing their cars themselves too.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:52 AM
Pro

I’m also at the point of who cares about some swirls. I mean, it’s an Acura daily driver. Now, if was a show car, or something like a Ferrari, then I definitely would hand wash. But, for a daily driver, I guess some swirls are to be expected.

I always go with if they get bad enough, or start bothering me “that much” they can be buffed out.
The following 2 users liked this post by swttsx007:
markAZ (03-08-2023), tecwerks (03-08-2023)