Camber adjustability

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020 | 04:47 PM
4th Gear

Camber adjustability

Had a flat repaired today, tire kingdom always does an alignment check, said camber was off, check with my dealer they said there isn’t any adjustment for camber only toe. For my 2020 RDX , looked online can’t fine anything. Is this true ?
Old 02-24-2020 | 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

No camber adjustments. a little negative camber is not going to hurt anything Don't let them sell you into a 'camber kit' or replacing your shocks altogether, it's unnecessary.
The following users liked this post:
fogdoctor (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 05:08 PM
4th Gear

Thanks

Thanks, feel better , was confused as to who was telling the truth.
Old 02-24-2020 | 11:00 PM
Racer

I am always wary of those free "alignment checks" by tire stores and such. Their primary reasons to do them is to sell alignments. They can't sell you an alignment if nothing is "off". Personally if they told me it was off I would go straight to my dealer and inquire about this. I have not personally changed the alignment on my 2019 RDX but I have corrected many camber issues on vehicles with front struts by using a camber adjustment kit. Many use a bolt with an offset cam that is inserted and turned to bring the camber into specs. This method is commonly found on many OEM vehicles so its not some risky way to correct an issue. The important thing to me is that if the camber really is "off" how did that happen? This is all checked at the factory and if it really is off what happened to the car between the time it was built and the time the tire store checked it? I could write a small book on this subject (actually I have for a course I developed for the college automotive technology program I was teaching but it would be long and boring. The short of it is alignment is "built in" when the car is produced. Its then checked before the car leaves the factory. If this camber was off when the car was built then its a warranty issue. Once you have driving the car for a certain time limit (and I don't know Acura's policy on this) its can be considered a "wear item" as the car should have been run into a curb or hit a hole in the road, etc. that caused this.
Did they tell you how far off the Camber was? Did they give you a print out? What is the "cross camber" or did they even tell you? Excessive camber can cause pulling and tire wear, but does your car pull to one side on a straight and level road? If it tracks straight and doesn't pull then likely the camber is not off much. Some camber is built into most cars. But, "Cross camber" is as important as camber on one wheel. For example, if one side has a positive camber that was on the edge of the spec (therefore 'OK") and the other side had a negative camber that was on the edge of the spec you could have a car that would pull or drift to the one side even though each wheel on its own was in the acceptable range. You can do a little internet search for "cross camber" and learn more about this.
The following users liked this post:
sonyfever (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:07 AM
4th Gear

AT 50 mph no hands on wheel, tracks straight doesn't wander left or right. Shop had said that the right front was off 2 degrees and left rear was off 1.5, dealer said was in specs.
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:48 AM
Drifting

Shop may have the wrong specs. Or they were trying to sell you something. Take your pick.

Either way, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. $0.02