Body Flex popping

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dealer was able find me a replacement sunroof frame and got it installed last week under warranty.

I can confirm the sound’s been gone since I’ve gotten it back. I strongly encourage any of you who are still dealing with it to try to get your dealer to resolve. Who know if and when the problem comes back... esp if it’s out of warranty. My hope is that if enough people report the issue Acura will be forced to provide an extended warranty to cover it.
The following users liked this post:
subin (05-07-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dweilbacher
Personally, I'm not confident the TSB (replace frame) will solve the problem. My 2019 RDX now has 30,000K. I first heard the pop sound from the sunroof at 3K. Took it to the dealer who initially could not reproduce. So I took them for a drive and showed it to them. They kept the RDX for over a week trying to fix and finally ordered a new frame. When I got it back, the noise was gone. But only for about 3K miles. Then it started again. Been living with it ever since... along with:
  • Ticking noise from the A Pillar (drivers side)
  • Squeaky brakes
  • Groan noise when open/close the tailgate
  • Popping noise from under the hood/driver side tire when going over bumps
I had planned to take it back this month to get all other above looked at. But if there is no Sunroof Frames available, what is the point...
I also have all of these. I did get the brakes fixed under the TSB and the tailgate groan seems to be after it rains.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In the state of California, if you take a car back to the dealer for the same issue 3 times, you can file for Lemon Law and get your investment back. If this is a recurring issue, you can be sure I'll be back to the dealer :-)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is at dealer for sunroof replacement hold on hopefully they don’t break anything love the truck rdx advanced drives well
Old 10-21-2022, 05:41 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Popping noise from rear roof when applying body torque - pulling in/out of driveway

I also experience this. Has occurred since I bought car. No solutions from dealer.

Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
Anyone experiance a popping noise while driving slowly in or out of a driveway or an approch of a business. Sounds like s popping noise in the roof area. Nothing is leaking but sounds like the body is flexing. Unknown strange noise.

Leaf 68 (10-22-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tauszg
I also experience this. Has occurred since I bought car. No solutions from dealer.
nope. No solution. the sunroof fix didn’t help. Still pops coming down my driveway.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
ultra racing braces would probably help remove flex. Supposedly some of the CRV ones fit our car but this is for someone to test out and didnt mind testing this solution.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Does anyone know if the popping is actually bad for the car, or just annoying?
Old 10-22-2022, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
Does anyone know if the popping is actually bad for the car, or just annoying?
The sunroof can handle a certain amount of torsional deformation. I suspect the RDX's body twists a bit more than the parameters the sunroof was designed to which results in the popping sound.
Probably more of an annoyance than a concern. Not something I would want to put up with though.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Mine makes some noises occasionally, but not something that can easily be reproduced for the dealer to take care. I think this issue is worse for some, but all these sunroofs make some kind of noise.
Texasrdx21 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My '19 developed it...it was not there for the first 6 months or so of my ownership. It was more of a disappointment, than a real problem. At that point, the RDX Advanced was the most expensive car I had ever purchased, having traded in a 1 year old '18 CRV Touring that never had one issue. My RDX had many of the first year teething issues that have been well discussed here, some addressed by Acura more than once.
Baconsoup (06-24-2023)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:09 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
I hear a soft noise from the roof of my 2019 RDX Advance on occasion when I am crossing the significant curb at the end of my driveway at an angle. I mentioned it to the dealer when I was in for service, and was told the noise was not uncommon in that situation due to the panorama roof. It doesn't bother me and I haven't really given it a thought since.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
I hear a soft noise from the roof of my 2019 RDX Advance on occasion when I am crossing the significant curb at the end of my driveway at an angle. I mentioned it to the dealer when I was in for service, and was told the noise was not uncommon in that situation due to the panorama roof. It doesn't bother me and I haven't really given it a thought since.
Correct. The huge pano roof is a kind of structure piece. It weights over 200lbs and your body will flex when meeting uneven surfaces and transitions. It's all normal and you will hear some noises of the flexing from time to time. More prevalent in colder weather, as metal shrinks and not as flexible in colder temps.

Otherwise the RDX is a pretty rigid structure for a big SUV.It would be a heck of a lot of stronger without that massive, heavy pano roof - which is useless IMO.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:37 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Correct. The huge pano roof is a kind of structure piece. It weights over 200lbs and your body will flex when meeting uneven surfaces and transitions. It's all normal and you will hear some noises of the flexing from time to time. More prevalent in colder weather, as metal shrinks and not as flexible in colder temps.

Otherwise the RDX is a pretty rigid structure for a big SUV.It would be a heck of a lot of stronger without that massive, heavy pano roof - which is useless IMO.
I agree regarding the roof not being useful. I thought it was kind of cool when we were first looking at the RDX, but we never use it.
The following 3 users liked this post by DWG:
GW208 (10-29-2022), Leaf 68 (10-29-2022), Texasrdx21 (10-29-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DWG
I agree regarding the roof not being useful. I thought it was kind of cool when we were first looking at the RDX, but we never use it.
My wife LOVES to have our pano-roofs open, even in AZ's 100+ degree summers!

And guess what? Our 22 Highlander Hybrid Platinum and our 22 Lincoln Corsair Reserve don't have the POP sound when exiting our driveway. Our 19 RDX did. The Highlander is a bigger SUV than the RDX. So, I contend that Acura needs to improve the structure to fix this, and will not until a full redesign.

There are a few things I miss about the RDX:
Excellent Advance trim ELS audio
The RDX seats are probably the best I have ever sat in in a vehicle, but the Lincoln's come close, but with the added massage feature. the Lincoln's are about equal.
I prefer the RDX's push button shifter to the way Lincoln has done it.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
My wife LOVES to have our pano-roofs open, even in AZ's 100+ degree summers!

And guess what? Our 22 Highlander Hybrid Platinum and our 22 Lincoln Corsair Reserve don't have the POP sound when exiting our driveway. Our 19 RDX did. The Highlander is a bigger SUV than the RDX. So, I contend that Acura needs to improve the structure to fix this, and will not until a full redesign.

There are a few things I miss about the RDX:
Excellent Advance trim ELS audio
The RDX seats are probably the best I have ever sat in in a vehicle, but the Lincoln's come close, but with the added massage feature. the Lincoln's are about equal.
I prefer the RDX's push button shifter to the way Lincoln has done it.
RDX seats are comfortable for 700+ miles in a day. The stereo is great too, but use zm most of the time, which sounds tinny in all vehicles due to the formatting.

Pano sunroof I’d gladly exchange for better performance brakes.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts
Hi everyone, just had the sunroof pop fixed by our local dealer on our 2020 RDX Tech... but have an issue. The headliner does not seem to be attached like it was. There is now a slight gap around the edges along the sunroof panel. When we first picked it up the headliner was not even fully attached (tech screwed up the install) and we had to take it back. They claimed the clips needed to be replaced so ordered new ones. Now we have it back again and there is still a slight gap when compared to our new 2022 RDX loaner they gave us... Dealer says that is normal when they have to remove the headliner for a sunroof fix and says everything operates as expected so no further work needed.

Is that right? I figure the sunroof is installed at the factory first and then a headliner is put in... why would they not be able to re-attach it like it was when new?
Old 01-20-2023, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by WunderWagen
Hi everyone, just had the sunroof pop fixed by our local dealer on our 2020 RDX Tech... but have an issue. The headliner does not seem to be attached like it was. There is now a slight gap around the edges along the sunroof panel. When we first picked it up the headliner was not even fully attached (tech screwed up the install) and we had to take it back. They claimed the clips needed to be replaced so ordered new ones. Now we have it back again and there is still a slight gap when compared to our new 2022 RDX loaner they gave us... Dealer says that is normal when they have to remove the headliner for a sunroof fix and says everything operates as expected so no further work needed.

Is that right? I figure the sunroof is installed at the factory first and then a headliner is put in... why would they not be able to re-attach it like it was when new?
I find it hard to believe the dealer. If the job is done correctly, it should like nobody touched it. Maybe ask to talk to the service manager and point it out to them.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Hi Anoop, it was the service manager who told us it was normal to have a slight gap in the headliner after a sunroof repair.

Has anyone else had issues with the headliner fitment after having their sunroof fixed?
Old 01-20-2023, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by WunderWagen
Hi Anoop, it was the service manager who told us it was normal to have a slight gap in the headliner after a sunroof repair.

Has anyone else had issues with the headliner fitment after having their sunroof fixed?
That's a bummer. The only thing I can think of is to contact Acura with pictures and tell them you're not happy with the job and dealer refuses to fix it and hope they can intervene on your behalf.

I haven't had any work done on my sunroof, but I have never seen a discussion about this and many folks have had sunroof work done.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Try tugging on it where it seems like there's a gap. The headliner is essentially held up by plastic velcro-like pieces that snap into each other. If you can pull it down with some light tugging, then they weren't seated properly. Get a flashlight and peer in and make sure the pieces are lined up. Then just push them into each other and you should hear a positive snap when they're in place. Hopefully your issue is as simple as a tech no properly seating the headliner in place.

It's a crap design and a reason why I harp on the poor quality of Acura. I had a buzzing coming from directly over my head that was driving me absolutely insane. It was enough to make me want to drive the car off a cliff. Of course, dealer couldn't replicate. It would go away when I applied a little pressure to the headliner while driving. Finally, I just started fiddling with it. The remedy that worked was pulling it down, spraying some spray adhesive onto the velcro-block and snapping it back into place. It hasn't buzzed since.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
loose connection in the fiberoptic network

Anyone experiance a popping noise while driving slowly in or out of a driveway or an approch of a business. Sounds like s popping noise in the roof area. Nothing is leaking but sounds like the body is flexing. Unknown strange noise.

Yes. It's caused by a loose connection in the fiberoptic network within the car. There is a TSB out on replacing the connectors but that may not fully fix the issue.
There have been multiple lawsuits against American Honda over this defect which occurs in Hondas & Acuras.
I have a 2020 Acura RDX with the advanced package. It has the same issue.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Popping sound is a systemic defect in Acuras and Hondas

Caused by defects in the MOST Bus network: loose connections, broken fiberoptic cables, etc. These cause random electrical discharges into the speaker system.
There have been multiple lawsuits against American Honda for these defects. Applying teh TSBs may or may not rectify the issue.
The vehicle vibrations are disrupting connections in the fiberoptic network.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

Caused by defects in the MOST Bus network: loose connections, broken fiberoptic cables, etc. These cause random electrical discharges into the speaker system.
There have been multiple lawsuits against American Honda for these defects. It occurs in Honda & Acuras.
Applying the TSBs may or may not rectify the issue.

The vehicle vibrations are disrupting connections in the MOST Bus network and its fiberoptic cables.
I have a SH-AWD 2020 RDX with Advanced package exhibiting this persistent problem.
I believe it is s a design defect beyond the capability of the dealers to fully rectify.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:24 PM
Drifting

@rwalsh

I believe that the popping sound folks here are referring to is a POP noise when applying body torque as in pulling in or out of driveway. This is not an electrical pop, rather a physical noise. My '19 RDX started doing it about a year into my ownership, if I remember correctly. It didn't do it when it was brand new. Acura has a TSB for this involving the pano-sunroof frame.

Your issue is different.
GW208 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Try tugging on it where it seems like there's a gap. The headliner is essentially held up by plastic velcro-like pieces that snap into each other. If you can pull it down with some light tugging, then they weren't seated properly. Get a flashlight and peer in and make sure the pieces are lined up. Then just push them into each other and you should hear a positive snap when they're in place. Hopefully your issue is as simple as a tech no properly seating the headliner in place.

It's a crap design and a reason why I harp on the poor quality of Acura. I had a buzzing coming from directly over my head that was driving me absolutely insane. It was enough to make me want to drive the car off a cliff. Of course, dealer couldn't replicate. It would go away when I applied a little pressure to the headliner while driving. Finally, I just started fiddling with it. The remedy that worked was pulling it down, spraying some spray adhesive onto the velcro-block and snapping it back into place. It hasn't buzzed since.
Well still no luck getting the dealer to fix this after multiple attempts
Might have to fix it myself at this point so I will look into trying the spray adhesive on the connectors.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Mine starting popping not long after owning it but after using this to lube around the sunroof it minimized it and i don't notice it anymore. My rubber seal was really dry and possibly sticking.

Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease

Thoughts?

Tony
Old 02-11-2023, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Toves75
Hi all,

Mine starting popping not long after owning it but after using this to lube around the sunroof it minimized it and i don't notice it anymore. My rubber seal was really dry and possibly sticking.

Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease

Thoughts?

Tony
I've done it with 3-in-1 lubricant sprayed past the rubber seals and it helps. It doesn't eliminate it completely, but it does help. The issue comes back after a few months so you'll need to re-apply.
Toves75 (02-11-2023)