Android Auto release date-ish

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Android Auto release date-ish

I wrote a fairly negative message a couple days ago to Acura's website on the RDXs many Infotainment issues, one of which was the Android Auto 'issue'. While the answers I got were expectantly vague and non-answers mostly, for those it will matter to, it states in their response to me that AA is slayed for release in "winter 2019".
Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, I'm hopeful to this as well. Came back from my Acura Dealership for a service done for my 2019 RDX yesterday, and they've mentioned that there should be a "big" OTA update coming quite possibly this month of October 2019.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
I wrote a fairly negative message a couple days ago to Acura's website on the RDXs many Infotainment issues, one of which was the Android Auto 'issue'. While the answers I got were expectantly vague and non-answers mostly, for those it will matter to, it states in their response to me that AA is slayed for release in "winter 2019".
My dealer told me it would be released two months from my purchase date which was October last year.... still waiting... note the link below for a tweeter from Acura dated 20 Aug 2018...

Still waiting.... not really!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
I was just at the dealer today, and they said there’s been no information provided to them about when to expect the next software update and what it will cover. I would be very skeptical about any date that isn’t provided by Acura in writing. And even one that is, for that matter.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by elchili
My dealer told me it would be released two months from my purchase date which was October last year.... still waiting... note the link below for a tweeter from Acura dated 20 Aug 2018...

https://twitter.com/acura/status/103...167745?lang=en

Still waiting.... not really!
It's already been noted that acura had to wait for Google had to release their latest version of Android Auto which occurred this past summer. Acura couldn't exactly say anything back in 2018 since the android auto redesign hadn't been announced yet.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

For what it's worth, here it is in writing (their response):
Thank you for contacting Acura Client Relations regarding your feedback and suggestions for the 2019 Acura RDX vehicle. We want to thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond to your message. We genuinely apologize for the circumstances which have prompted you to reach out to us but would like to assure you that our team here at Acura does appreciate feedback from our clients regarding vehicle designs, features, and model availability in our lineup.

As this allows us to see from the consumer perspective regarding what kind of vehicles, software updates, and improvements they would like to see from Acura in the future, and we wholeheartedly appreciate your feedback for this vehicle. At this time, Android Auto is estimated to release in the Winter of 2019.

However, we will formally document your complaints and suggestions pertaining to the infotainment screen in our database.Once documented, this will inform our marketing and design teams, so that they are aware of your feedback Thank you for contacting Acura Client Relations and for providing our team with this feedback, have a great day.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations
Case #09965665
The following users liked this post:
jonarogers (10-21-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I had also gotten a Winter 2019/20 date from Customer Support, but didn't even bother passing it on due to past history. I will go for information like "we are uploading it to the servers for distribution in the morning" if I ever get a response like that though. Any longer time frame than that just seems like vaporware right now.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Acura’s people don’t know anything except what has already been announced. I file a map update complaint saying we are supposed to get yearly map updates, and my car was a year old on August 1, and when is the update? An Acura person called me back and asked for my VIN (which I included in my complaint) and she told me my car was up to date. I said, yeah, that only means there have not been any updates since I bought it. She eventually said that updates usually come in November. So, I asked, what happened to lastNovember? She said the maps were up to date.

she was either playing stupid, or not playing at all. But the yearly updates are at least 4 months behind.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Acura’s people don’t know anything except what has already been announced. I file a map update complaint saying we are supposed to get yearly map updates, and my car was a year old on August 1, and when is the update? An Acura person called me back and asked for my VIN (which I included in my complaint) and she told me my car was up to date. I said, yeah, that only means there have not been any updates since I bought it. She eventually said that updates usually come in November. So, I asked, what happened to lastNovember? She said the maps were up to date.

she was either playing stupid, or not playing at all. But the yearly updates are at least 4 months behind.
ACTUALLY it makes sense that last november the maps where up to date if you got it last year in august, seeing how the 2019 rdx came out in 2018.... so there was no need to have a update because nothing came before it... this new model wasnt available in 2017....see where im going? NOW, next month is november...so this must mean a update should be coming which hopefully includes AA and the map updates that were mentioned.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Drifting

First they said quarterly. Then they said yearly, now they are saying, well yearly, maybe, starting a year and a half later.

How many times did Acura people promise AA in “just a short while?”

Deceiving or outright lying to your customers is no way to run a multibillion dollar business when you can lose customers for life, and the customers have good options.
markm929 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Ah, see here's your problem; you bought a 2019 in 2018 and thought they meant it would be realeaed in two months from when you bought it but actually what they meant was that it would be two months from when you would have bought it if you bought it in 2019, which would be this month so now... just a couple of months more to wait!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
For what it's worth, here it is in writing (their response):
Thank you for contacting Acura Client Relations regarding your feedback and suggestions for the 2019 Acura RDX vehicle. We want to thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond to your message. We genuinely apologize for the circumstances which have prompted you to reach out to us but would like to assure you that our team here at Acura does appreciate feedback from our clients regarding vehicle designs, features, and model availability in our lineup.

As this allows us to see from the consumer perspective regarding what kind of vehicles, software updates, and improvements they would like to see from Acura in the future, and we wholeheartedly appreciate your feedback for this vehicle. At this time, Android Auto is estimated to release in the Winter of 2019.

However, we will formally document your complaints and suggestions pertaining to the infotainment screen in our database.Once documented, this will inform our marketing and design teams, so that they are aware of your feedback Thank you for contacting Acura Client Relations and for providing our team with this feedback, have a great day.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations
Case #09965665
As a graduate of the Laboratory for Scientific Interrogation, I can tell you that this is a statement intended to deceive.

Don't hold your breath

Old 10-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
I mean, this is the same company that built a prototype of the NSX in 2007, said it would come out in 2010, and then finally produced it in 2016 after a 6 years delay. Evidently, Acura is where all the Duke Nukem Forever developers are now working.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
justnspace (10-18-2019), NooYawkuh (10-18-2019), Twaeball (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Advanced

First they said quarterly. Then they said yearly, now they are saying, well yearly, maybe, starting a year and a half later.

How many times did Acura people promise AA in “just a short while?”

Deceiving or outright lying to your customers is no way to run a multibillion dollar business when you can lose customers for life, and the customers have good options.
your a lost cause.... just trade in your rdx for something that has zero issues and that the manufacture does everything it says in a timely and justify manner
Old 10-17-2019, 02:55 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I mean, this is the same company that built a prototype of the NSX in 2007, said it would come out in 2010, and then finally produced it in 2016 after a 6 years delay. Evidently, Acura is where all the Duke Nukem Forever developers are now working.
I don't know anything about the when's and what's of the NSX development, and have never seen one on the road, but there were two (same color-different wheels) in the shop for warranty work when I went to the dealership several months ago, and I have to say they were about as good looking as a car can get (IMO)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced

you forgot the part about the great recession that happened in 2008 and the how auto manufactures had to change course on car development for more efficient vehicles with great gas mileage since around that time gas was almost $5 a gallon.....people were losing jobs and auto manufactures were going bankrupt.....
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by not2envy
your a lost cause.... just trade in your rdx for something that has zero issues and that the manufacture does everything it says in a timely and justify manner
??? Why should someone have to accept that misleading customers is OK. Acura USED to produce some excellent cars with very few problems and they stood behind them. I know because I have owned a whole pile of them. I get that no car has zero issues, but letting Acura off of the hook for releasing an infotainment system too soon that clearly has a shitload of people pissed off and not delivering on AA or map updates is a legitimate complaint. I am a fanboy, but it doesn't mean that I will accept crappy service and even worse response from a company that used to produce some awesome cars. So if you don't care about map updates, and if your infotainment works perfectly, then that is awesome for you. Acura is quoted above with the standard "we listen to your input and value your opinions"....OK....now do something about it.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just saw mermaids during my fishing trip .
not2envy (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

If you're going to insult someone, then your insult will be more effective if you use correct grammar.
rfbarry19 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
If you're going to insult someone, then your insult will be more effective if you use correct grammar.
First it wasn't an insult, it was my opinion on how he or she is feeling about the situation... Second, no! I don't have to use correct grammar.... The point got across and there wasn't a hand book with regulations on how to communicate with someone or debate with someone online.... Didn't see the part that said"use correct grammar at all times".... Petty argument
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Drifting

First it wasn't an insult, it was my opinion on how he or she is feeling about the situation... Second, no! I don't have to use correct grammar.... The point got across and there wasn't a hand book with regulations on how to communicate with someone or debate with someone online.... Didn't see the part that said"use correct grammar at all times".... Petty argument
But the point that you got across might not be the one you intended.
ceb (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:16 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

But the point that you got across might not be the one you intended.
Perhaps he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and he certainly didn't understand my post.
Madd Dog (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
One can only hope your code is more precise than your prose.

But considering your penchant for excusing poor performance, I can't help but wonder.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok everyone... here's a quick snapshot of what's coming in the next upgrade Acura is promising us....

They just forgot to add the constant popping message "Android service has stopped working" to the video... oh and by the way if you didn't noticed, no AA yet... LoL
Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Ok everyone... here's a quick snapshot of what's coming in the next upgrade Acura is promising us....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxncyrrDFyQ

They just forgot to add the constant popping message "Android service has stopped working" to the video... oh and by the way if you didn't noticed, no AA yet... LoL
They are going to need to hire some MUCH better programmers if they plan to pull all that off software-wise. None of that will work properly with the current lot they have working there.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
One can only hope your code is more precise than your prose.

But considering your penchant for excusing poor performance, I can't help but wonder.
funny thing is code is more flexible so there no issues to be had. but remind me again on what you meant on " penchant for excusing poor performance"
Old 10-18-2019, 08:19 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Noticeably missing from that demo; any buttons. When I first drove the RDC I thought the center console was a little overwhelming, but I now appreciate that I can do so much with the buttons on the dash and the steering wheel. Maybe this concept is bare to highlight the innovations in the video, but I really hope Acura doesn't move to having things like climate control and many audio functions only available through the infotainment system. I can't even imagine what Tesla 3 drivers have to deal with.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Drifting

funny thing is code is more flexible so there no issues to be had. but remind me again on what you meant on " penchant for excusing poor performance"
It has been a long time since I was doing any coding, but IIRC, syntax and proper ‘word’ usage was a requirement; you couldn’t use ORE or OAR when OR was required. But the last stuff I wrote was in VisualBasic for Applications, so I am a dinosaur now.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced

It has been a long time since I was doing any coding, but IIRC, syntax and proper ‘word’ usage was a requirement; you couldn’t use ORE or OAR when OR was required. But the last stuff I wrote was in VisualBasic for Applications, so I am a dinosaur now.
well i code in C# and yes syntax is important...but that's why the IDE has intellisense to let you know that a mistake has been made. As for real flexibility...Python really comes to mine with not having so many syntax rules which is why it's become so popular since it's really fast to code a program and execute it.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I wrong or we were told this fall and now it's next winter?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kebel87
your right about it being said this fall, but if you read the post, it doesnt say next winter....it's this winter.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by kebel87
Don't hold your breath, I expect by December they'll say it'll come in the spring
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Don't hold your breath, I expect by December they'll say it'll come in the spring
ohhh I'm soo going to hold my breath now!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

elchili----now that was cool....
Old 10-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope everyone realizes that winter ends on March 23rd? Just saying....look for AA announcement on the 22nd, and rollout in summer of 2020.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Winter 2019 ends on December 31, 2019. It looks like a 10ish day window to deliver AA and I completely believe them!!!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

HA! My programming was at the University with FORTRAN and PL-11. The university owned no computers and we rented time on the IBM360/370 at the International Atomic Energy Agency across town. We had a card punch machine at the university and would take our cards in shoeboxes on the streetcar to the IAEA to test our programming skills.

Today's programmers don't understand the panic when you trip getting on the streetcar and watching a box full of neatly ordered cards go flying - and that was your final exam. Probably like having a drive crash.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Leasers

This doesn't bother me too much, since I am planning to keep the car a long time. However, if I leased the 19 model, I'll be irate. That's 2 of 3 years without android auto for a car that was promised to have it! If Acura doesn't release AA by time someone finished their 3 year lease...shouldn't that person get some sort of compensation if they own an android phone?
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceb
HA! My programming was at the University with FORTRAN and PL-11. The university owned no computers and we rented time on the IBM360/370 at the International Atomic Energy Agency across town. We had a card punch machine at the university and would take our cards in shoeboxes on the streetcar to the IAEA to test our programming skills.

Today's programmers don't understand the panic when you trip getting on the streetcar and watching a box full of neatly ordered cards go flying - and that was your final exam. Probably like having a drive crash.
That’s how it was when I was in college too, according to my friends. I was basically an end-user, not a real programmer. I just learned enough to automate office letter creation.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Would that be called a stack dump?

Sorry, flashback from FORTRAN IV and assembly programming. Only as necessary to process experimental data. In the days when grass grew faster than a floating point array got processed.

Quick Reply: Android Auto release date-ish