Android Auto release date-ish

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Computer Science 73 was the only course I took where doodling actually paid off. If you drew patterns on the side of the deck, it was so much easier to get them back in the right order.

Last edited by Smilin_Jim; 10-21-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
Computer Science 73 was the only course I took where doodling actually paid off. If you drew patterns on the side of the deck, it was so much easier to get them back in the right order.
Great idea. When I go back in time, then I'll do that
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was told in 2 months max in June 2018.
The following users liked this post:
not2envy (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGO
I was told in 2 months max in June 2018.
That's great! In that case we should be seeing it any day now!

Thanks for the update.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
You will see it on the next gen TLX. I have a feeling the RDX will get shafted until the mid model refresh and the current years 19-21 will not get it.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmski
You will see it on the next gen TLX. I have a feeling the RDX will get shafted until the mid model refresh and the current years 19-21 will not get it.

this wouldnt make sense since all new models coming out will share the same infotainment, so if the new TLX will have it than so will the RDX .
Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Maybe the new TLX will have the promise of having AA in only ‘a couple of months’.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Maybe the new TLX will have the promise of having AA in only ‘a couple of months’.
or just get a Iphone....
Old 10-31-2019, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Or I didnt buy this car for android auto cause it never had it in the first place....
Old 10-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by not2envy
or just get a Iphone....

I actually do have an iPhone, as it happens.

But Acura has been promising things for over a year, and has failed to deliver. When I bought the car last August, a few days short of 15 months ago, they said there would be quarterly map updates in their press releases, downgraded to yearly map updates in more official documents. A year and a quarter later, and no map updates, and no communication about them from Acura, and I tried.

In August 2018, Android Auto was right around the corner, according to Acura. Nothing.

If a company says it will do something, they need to do it. If it is chancy, they need to convey that uncertainty.

This is certainly not my last car. But will it be my last Acura? I am getting there. In the corporate world, trust lost takes a very long time to regain.
markm929 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced

I actually do have an iPhone, as it happens.

But Acura has been promising things for over a year, and has failed to deliver. When I bought the car last August, a few days short of 15 months ago, they said there would be quarterly map updates in their press releases, downgraded to yearly map updates in more official documents. A year and a quarter later, and no map updates, and no communication about them from Acura, and I tried.

In August 2018, Android Auto was right around the corner, according to Acura. Nothing.

If a company says it will do something, they need to do it. If it is chancy, they need to convey that uncertainty.

This is certainly not my last car. But will it be my last Acura? I am getting there. In the corporate world, trust lost takes a very long time to regain.

yet as stated many times, android auto was having a refresh that came out the past august, and im pretty sure Acure couldnt predict when google would have the refresh which would have enabled android auto to work on wide screen. nor could Acura "say" they are waiting on google's AA refresh sense it was not known google was working on it when the new gen RDX came out, all they could do is say it would be coming soon... is it messed up.. yes but it's one of those things that happens when a software change like AA had was in the middle while a new gen car was being released that changes the way the infotainment system works.... clearly im not happy about it because i have a pixel phone, but i know it's coming and i didnt buy the car for that feature...i bought it because of how it looks and drives and i checked all the boxes i was looking for, for the right price.
hockeyaddict (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

or just get a Iphone....
...or an X3, an Audi, a RX or any other car..
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

yet as stated many times, android auto was having a refresh that came out the past august, and im pretty sure Acure couldnt predict when google would have the refresh which would have enabled android auto to work on wide screen. nor could Acura "say" they are waiting on google's AA refresh sense it was not known google was working on it when the new gen RDX came out, all they could do is say it would be coming soon... is it messed up.. yes but it's one of those things that happens when a software change like AA had was in the middle while a new gen car was being released that changes the way the infotainment system works.... clearly im not happy about it because i have a pixel phone, but i know it's coming and i didnt buy the car for that feature...i bought it because of how it looks and drives and i checked all the boxes i was looking for, for the right price.
Good for you. Then you won't be joining the class action...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Good for you. Then you won't be joining the class action...
nope! im fine with the car. and when AA comes out, which will be soon....I'll like it even more.
The following 2 users liked this post by not2envy:
hockeyaddict (10-31-2019), Ludepower (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced

BMW:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/27/...-hyundai-kona/

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583627

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...issues-outage/

Audi:
https://support.google.com/androidau.../5764819?hl=en

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rking-2960325/
Old 10-31-2019, 02:58 PM
Drifting

It is not just AA. It is the Nav system, which is sub par and did not have features other systems have had for 10 years. They claimed yearly updates, but no. They claim traffic info, but it is so poorly executed as to be useless. Sometimes I get various system unavailables, or no favorites set on XM, when there sure are. My auto stop start went out for 4 weeks, and just came back yesterday. My reset Trip A mileage at fill up went out at the same time. I haven’t filled up since before yesterday, so I don’t know if that is back. Not to mention the idiotic logic of parking the car with auto stop engaged: when the car stops, the engine turns off, put it in Park, and the engine goes on, only for you to turn it off again. If you shut off the car instead, it stays off and automatically goes into Park. What kind of automotive logic is that?

There is plenty I do like, but far too many software failures for a car. At this level, or any other.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced

It is not just AA. It is the Nav system, which is sub par and did not have features other systems have had for 10 years. They claimed yearly updates, but no. They claim traffic info, but it is so poorly executed as to be useless. Sometimes I get various system unavailables, or no favorites set on XM, when there sure are. My auto stop start went out for 4 weeks, and just came back yesterday. My reset Trip A mileage at fill up went out at the same time. I haven’t filled up since before yesterday, so I don’t know if that is back. Not to mention the idiotic logic of parking the car with auto stop engaged: when the car stops, the engine turns off, put it in Park, and the engine goes on, only for you to turn it off again. If you shut off the car instead, it stays off and automatically goes into Park. What kind of automotive logic is that?

There is plenty I do like, but far too many software failures for a car. At this level, or any other.
Well good thing Acura is not known as a Software company... maybe they should hire more of us.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
nope! im fine with the car. and when AA comes out, which will be soon....I'll like it even more.
Yep. Any day now. As they have been saying since June 2018. Literally.

I'm still waiting for my check from Publishers Clearinghouse.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Yep. Any day now. As they have been saying since June 2018. Literally.

I'm still waiting for my check from Publishers Clearinghouse.
They are on your block, looking for your house. You'll get that check long before AA
Old 10-31-2019, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
This. This. This.

I watched some 2019 RDX reviews again recently and some of the reviews even stated that Acura was waiting on Google to integrate with the Touchpad. It's probably the dealers that pushed these "will come next month" dates to consumers so that they can sell the car to you; and that is common among every brand of dealership.

How I see it is that Acura as a company has only had a couple months with the ball on their court since Google finally released their new design this summer. I am confident that android auto will be released soon considering the trackpad is an essential part of their design for future Acuras, and they even have Android Auto instructions in their manuals. I am disappointed its not here yet, but I am not crying about it. I am perfectly satisfied using my phone and a mount in the meantime.

Regardless even when Android Auto comes out, we are still going to see complainers. Android Auto is not this glam and glory perfect bug-free software. Read up on the AA forums and there are many people with issues with every car especially with googles latest design.

I am not excusing Acura for everything as I do agree with some such as lack of quarterly updates. But these Android Auto complaints are simply people being dramatic.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Android Auto was promised ‘soon’ when the car was released for sale 15 months ago. It was not just a dealer thing for sales. It was an unfilled promise by Acura. And now? No news, not a word. Map updates were stated as quarterly in press releases, but yearly in more official writings. Fifteen months and nothing. Not a peep.

To me, this is a corporate level of trust failure. The silence about these unkept promises is deafening, as is the dearth of needed software improvements.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Android Auto was promised ‘soon’ when the car was released for sale 15 months ago. It was not just a dealer thing for sales. It was an unfilled promise by Acura. And now? No news, not a word. Map updates were stated as quarterly in press releases, but yearly in more official writings. Fifteen months and nothing. Not a peep.

To me, this is a corporate level of trust failure. The silence about these unkept promises is deafening, as is the dearth of needed software improvements.
Did you even read the post above and mine? Like honestly, your repeating the same complaint about Android auto even though we clearly stated what was obvious the reason for the delay.... As far as Android auto goes... That's not on Acura... Read the post above until you grasps what the message is..... Acura promised it's coming, but couldn't say when.... Because of Google... And couldn't say it's because of Google for legal reasons.... Now that they had a couple months to implement the software, they had said it's coming this fall/winter of 2019.... Now as for updates for maps and what not... That I do agree with you that is Acura's issue to resolve and should be more transplant about why there haven't been any updates for maps and such.... But than what car manufacture is that transparent to begin with.... None.... Just enjoy the car drive it.... Use the radio/satellite radio/Bluetooth.... And either get a car mount to use your phone Navi or the car Navi and just enjoy.... If not, trade it in and join another forum and read the complaint about those cars
Ludepower (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Get back to us after you've owned the car another year or so. Let's see how impressed you are with Acura's responsiveness to problems.

And cut the BS. They ARE problems! It was Acura's choice to implement an unsupported user interface, and they didn't do their due diligence. I have no real interest in AA per se, but I think the next major software update is being held up to include AA. And that pisses me off. This thing is full of bugs that need to be fixed.

Keep your "suggestions" to yourself. It doesn't impress.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
fiatlux (11-01-2019), Madd Dog (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:15 AM
Drifting

BMW does not offer AA. I assume it is because they could not make it work with iDrive. That is fine. BMW also requires a subscription for Car play. I don’t like it, but they are up front about it. With the current state of development with iDrive and BMW navigation, one might not even want Carplay. But the choice is offered upfront.

BMW is saying : here is the product we are delivering, and here is what we offer.
This Acura product is half baked. If they said, like BMW, here is Carplay, and kept quiet on AA because they couldn’t make it work, that would have been honest. Then, a year, two years later when and if they can make it work, offer it then.

And, as Wander says, are they holding up bug fixes for the rest of us waiting for AA? It looks that way since there are so many bugs to fix, including eliminating the Carplay drops and beeps and skips that we Carplay users are experiencing.

So, since I use Carplay, why do I care about AA? Because the infotainment failures are adding up, and risk diminishing the value of my purchase. I test drove a few Lexuses along the way as a possible replacement for my 535. Their infotainment system, with the stupid curser moving on the screen, was so bad that I could not consider a car with it. When I shopped for a car for my wife, the Camry had such a bad system that I knew she couldn’t use it. If you go back a couple of years and look at the Etune comments, you will see. So that tossed the Camry. Her Accord works fine and she has no problems.

The RDX is an excellent automobile to drive and haul stuff with. Fix the blatant infotainment problems, or risk losing customers.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 11-01-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:32 AM
Drifting

Just as a reminder of what had been put out there.

2019 Acura RDX will get Android Auto but not until after it's launched

Yes you'll have to wait, but the wait won't be long.
byline date: May 29, 2018.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-launch-patch/
Old 11-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced

BMW does not offer AA. I assume it is because they could not make it work with iDrive. That is fine. BMW also requires a subscription for Car play. I don’t like it, but they are up front about it. With the current state of development with iDrive and BMW navigation, one might not even want Carplay. But the choice is offered upfront.

BMW is saying : here is the product we are delivering, and here is what we offer.
This Acura product is half baked. If they said, like BMW, here is Carplay, and kept quiet on AA because they couldn’t make it work, that would have been honest. Then, a year, two years later when and if they can make it work, offer it then.

And, as Wander says, are they holding up bug fixes for the rest of us waiting for AA? It looks that way since there are so many bugs to fix, including eliminating the Carplay drops and beeps and skips that we Carplay users are experiencing.

So, since I use Carplay, why do I care about AA? Because the infotainment failures are adding up, and risk diminishing the value of my purchase. I test drove a few Lexuses along the way as a possible replacement for my 535. Their infotainment system, with the stupid curser moving on the screen, was so bad that I could not consider a car with it. When I shopped for a car for my wife, the Camry had such a bad system that I knew she couldn’t use it. If you go back a couple of years and look at the Etune comments, you will see. So that tossed the Camry. Her Accord works fine and she has no problems.

The RDX is an excellent automobile to drive and haul stuff with. Fix the blatant infotainment problems, or risk losing customers.
well i cant state why Acura is holding up updates and on that part i agree with you and they should come out and be more transparent seeing the growing complaints arising, but than again .... do they even notice the complaints? and i apologize if im coming out hostile when responding to you, for me even though i have a android i dont see it as a big deal, plus i have my 03 SI that has a kenwood with AA , but i get what your saying and i optimistically hope AA will be sent out within these next two months along with other updates that were promised.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Drifting

well i cant state why Acura is holding up updates and on that part i agree with you and they should come out and be more transparent seeing the growing complaints arising, but than again .... do they even notice the complaints? and i apologize if im coming out hostile when responding to you, for me even though i have a android i dont see it as a big deal, plus i have my 03 SI that has a kenwood with AA , but i get what your saying and i optimistically hope AA will be sent out within these next two months along with other updates that were promised.
I don't think you are being hostile.

I am also starting to wonder if there is a systems limitation that is interfering with us getting a map update. The HERE site shows 2019 maps for the 2018 RDX and older, but says ours are up-to-date when we know the maps are from 2018. Is there an updating problem that Acura is hiding?
markm929 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Just as a reminder of what had been put out there.

byline date: May 29, 2018.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-launch-patch/
"Regarding Android Auto, there's actually no specification for Android that works with a touchpad," said Acura RDX Engineering Development Leader Stephen Frey at a media event last week. "[Google is] currently developing that right now and, when it's ready, it will be available to be applied onto vehicles on the market."

Google announced their new design has compatibility for different control schemes and screen sizes back in may and rolled out over the next couple months. Maybe the original thoughts of google was to just patch for the touchpad. But sometime last year google decided to go a different direction and rebuild the android auto interface and build the support entirely on the new platform.

Dont let the bias of other issues cloud this one. Again I do agree with some other complaints people have but the one specifically about waiting on android auto i do not agree with.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't think you are being hostile.

I am also starting to wonder if there is a systems limitation that is interfering with us getting a map update. The HERE site shows 2019 maps for the 2018 RDX and older, but says ours are up-to-date when we know the maps are from 2018. Is there an updating problem that Acura is hiding?
What issues are you having with the navigation? I only rely on it too see where I'm at on the map. 99% of the time know where I'm going.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ludepower
What issues are you having with the navigation? I only rely on it too see where I'm at on the map. 99% of the time know where I'm going.
To me, the nav is useful only as a scrolling map because of the total unreliability of the traffic info. This is what makes it useless: Lots of times, there is no nav, and it is inconsistent when it starts. Then roads give traffic info, and then it doesn’t. I can be traveling on a major road, and roads around me have TI, but my road goes gray, or my road shows TI, but nearby roads are dropped. (These are all US highways, with route number inside of the shield). There is one route that is always either gray or red, regardless of what the actual traffic is.

So if I actually need to get somewhere, the navigation is useless.

We went downtown last week for an appointment. So I plug in my iPhone with Google maps preset with my destination. I play no music, and hope carplay doesn’t crash when I need to know which of several possible routes is the best, traffic-wise. This week, it did not crash. The native nav would have been useless.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
"Regarding Android Auto, there's actually no specification for Android that works with a touchpad," said Acura RDX Engineering Development Leader Stephen Frey at a media event last week. "[Google is] currently developing that right now and, when it's ready, it will be available to be applied onto vehicles on the market."

Google announced their new design has compatibility for different control schemes and screen sizes back in may and rolled out over the next couple months. Maybe the original thoughts of google was to just patch for the touchpad. But sometime last year google decided to go a different direction and rebuild the android auto interface and build the support entirely on the new platform.

Dont let the bias of other issues cloud this one. Again I do agree with some other complaints people have but the one specifically about waiting on android auto i do not agree with.
Right. So here is the discussion going on at Acura HQ in the design stage- "let's design a new interface that doesn't work with AA. Then we'll design an interface that crashes frequently and takes part of the dash with it. To resolve the issue, we'll make the owners disconnect the battery. Oh, and let's not forgot to promise quarterly map updates and we MUST tell customers that AA is coming soon - most likely in a month or so."
Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Instructor

When these tablets first started coming out years ago consumers complained about the distraction and inconvenience of touchscreen interfaces in the car. So Manufacturers took that consumer feedback and built alternative ways to interact with the infotainment. They moved the screen in different places and brought in new controls such as the bmw rotary dial, mercedes and Lexus cursor and the acura touchpad.

The mentality of accepting touchscreen has taken the majority in the last few years since apple car play and android auto were designed for touchscreens.

I cant blame acura for gambling on a new approach for infotainment. However since they chose this path they have to back up their choice. The touchpad is a great idea but they need to support their design with updates to improve user adoption.
The following 2 users liked this post by hockeyaddict:
Madd Dog (11-01-2019), Wander (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
When these tablets first started coming out years ago consumers complained about the distraction and inconvenience of touchscreen interfaces in the car. So Manufacturers took that consumer feedback and built alternative ways to interact with the infotainment. They moved the screen in different places and brought in new controls such as the bmw rotary dial, mercedes and Lexus cursor and the acura touchpad.

The mentality of accepting touchscreen has taken the majority in the last few years since apple car play and android auto were designed for touchscreens.

I cant blame acura for gambling on a new approach for infotainment. However since they chose this path they have to back up their choice. The touchpad is a great idea but they need to support their design with updates to improve user adoption.
Or they could have been like Mercedes and made it possible to interact with the system via touch, or via a touchpad, or via steering wheel controls, or via voice command. Does it cost more to implement something like that? Yeah, but at least making the screen touch-capable would have only marginally increased the cost. Is it excessive and over-the-top? Perhaps, but this is supposed to be a luxury car for owners who have more discerning tastes and expectations. Hyundai/Kia have cut their teeth on providing value by including tech that's just as good as cars a segment above; why can't Acura (which is supposed to be in that higher segment) do the same? It's almost like technology was a complete afterthought. The Japanese are supposed to be good with electronics, so why is it that the X3, GLC, Q5, and XC60 all offer digital cockpits while Acura doesn't, even as an option? It can't possibly cost more to include than the huge panoramic sunroof that they decided to make standard.

Last edited by fiatlux; 11-01-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 AM
Drifting

I generally agree, but the touchpad is only an improvement if the interface of the applications is optimized for it. Fishing around for tiny push-buttons in a moving vehicle is incredibly distracting, irrespective of whether they are physical push-buttons, soft buttons on a touchscreen, or "virtual pushbuttons" from a touchpad.

IMO the small size of the touchpad makes it especially difficult to pinpoint and activate small targets on the display. And there are lots of small targets in the native Nav app as well as apps in CarPlay, especially the navigation apps.

The "home page" display of the latest release of CarPlay ( in iOS 13 ) is an improvement, but it still lacks native support in the 3rd-gen RDX infotainment system, so it tracks like a laptop trackpad. It's confusing and distracting to switch back and forth between "relative positioning" and "absolute positioning". And swiping around for those tiny display targets is a nightmare. Talk about driver distraction.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe the release of Android Auto for RDX 3rd gen is here

Yesterday I noticed a system update in my car. I let it download (I think) after I left my car. This morning I saw that the update to Android Auto was available, so I guess that's what it was. I am pretty excited to get back home and try it out! I've been waiting since February for this!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Android Auto just rolled out via OTA yesterday for me for my 2019 RDX. I guess my Acura dealership was right this time.

I'm using it with my Samsung Note 10 Plus, and no issues so far. The initial download and install went well too (20 minutes to install).

Last edited by Ernesto Pizarro; 11-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ugh

In Cali and still no OTA updates. If it doesn't come tonite I might just try USB method.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
In Cali and still no OTA updates. If it doesn't come tonite I might just try USB method.
I'm from LA and I got it last night in my parking garage. It downloaded via the ATT cellular connection which I don't pay for and I only had 1-2 bars down there. Had to have my engine running for it to find it.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
I'm still on 1.1.2. I've never been able to update. Not by USB, wifi or OTA. Somebody at Acura just doesn't like me.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I'm still on 1.1.2. I've never been able to update. Not by USB, wifi or OTA. Somebody at Acura just doesn't like me.
You need to bribe someone at the service counter. It's the NY way...
NooYawkuh (11-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Android Auto release date-ish