After Sales 2019 RDX Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
After Sales 2019 RDX Setup

How many of you had after sales support form your salesperson? Did they go over most of the technology in the 2019 RDX with you? Was it limited to pairing the Bluetooth phone? Did they thoroughly explain all of the key features and how they work or just a quick pairing with a pat on the back? I am curious how Acura or the dealer has prepared the sales staff to handle the new technology. Personally, I had began to read the Owners manual to discover many things in advance. I didn't give my sales person the chance to go over it as I had to be somewhere shortly after purchasing the car so mine was not at fault.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I got a good session with my salesman, but he knew I had read the manual and knew stuff too. He did a checklist of settings, and we did it together.

I was happy with the time and attention my salesman gave me.
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
This is the second car I have bought from this salesman. He basically asked what I needed to know or if I was "good". I said I was alright with what he had showed us. He helped pair the phone and showed Car Play. He did say the tech guy at the dealership would help us if needed.

I am more of a poke and prod and lets see what breaks or works. Like you Hou-RL, I have been reading the manual for weeks and reading most every post here, so I already knew quite a bit.

Billy
Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I took the keys and went to lunch. I was hungry. And the dealer understood I knew more than they did 😀
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
I let him start, then I took over. I told him, give me the keys and "Thanks, I'll write up the survey like you killed it. All top scores! Bye"
Twaeball (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I got a good session with my salesman, but he knew I had read the manual and knew stuff too. He did a checklist of settings, and we did it together.

I was happy with the time and attention my salesman gave me.
Same here.

Originally Posted by billyt1963
This is the second car I have bought from this salesman. He basically asked what I needed to know or if I was "good". I said I was alright with what he had showed us. He helped pair the phone and showed Car Play. He did say the tech guy at the dealership would help us if needed.

I am more of a poke and prod and lets see what breaks or works. Like you Hou-RL, I have been reading the manual for weeks and reading most every post here, so I already knew quite a bit.

Billy
Me too.

Originally Posted by Fury63
I took the keys and went to lunch. I was hungry. And the dealer understood I knew more than they did 😀
So true these days.

Originally Posted by oblio98
I let him start, then I took over. I told him, give me the keys and "Thanks, I'll write up the survey like you killed it. All top scores! Bye"
Did the same thing when I picked up my Audi last summer.

There is really only so much you can absorb at one time. It's even harder with the excitement felt when buying a new car.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My salesman knew so little about the RDX. I got in it after signing the paperwork and paired my phone with him just sitting there. He told me that they hadn't had training on the new features yet.
37tzee (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
My salesman knew so little about the RDX. I got in it after signing the paperwork and paired my phone with him just sitting there. He told me that they hadn't had training on the new features yet.
Same here. Mine wasn't getting training until a week or two after I had purchased mine.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine wanted me to plug in my iPhone to show me its setup but I politely said no. I did him ask about one feature I heard about, the automatic "walk away door lock". He looked at me and said it had no such feature. He was amused I thought something like that exists. As soon as I got home, I thumbed through the manual and found how to turn on the feature. btw, it is one of my favorite features of the RDX besides Apple's CarPlay, the turbo engine, & how the SH-AWD RDX feels on the road and turns.
37tzee (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My sales women basically only knew how to pair a phone. I pretty much watched most of the YouTube videos and read the manuals before picking up my RDX. I told her I like to figure things out on my own and not to waist her time with me. She was more worried about getting positive feedback, which I said I would give her.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone at my dealer was very knowledgeable. The product guy who showed me the car on my test drive gave me a thorough overview before we even hit the road, as did the salesman at a second dealership. Both immediately knew the (correct) answers to my questions. Once I signed the papers, the sales manager himself gave me the deep dive tour—it was near closing—and he too was very well informed.

By contrast, the Honda dealers I was talking to when shopping for an Accord were terribly uninformed, either not knowing answers or giving me incorrect ones.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Drifting

I don’t use the walk away door lock yet because I am concerned that I will get in that habit and walk away from my other car and leave it unlocked. I am still absorbing all of these features.

I wish there was a direct command to turn the screen off, rather than going through the menus. I wonder if you can make that a button on the home screen, or do a voice command “Display off”?

I might try to mess with that the next time I am in the car. My BMW had a programmable button for that on the steering wheel, and I could use a voice command “Brightness” to bring up the screen brightness control.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-08-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
It does amaze me how so many car salespeople know so little about their product. Maybe it’s the transient nature of that job.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
The sales manager at my dealer wants to offer me a job at his dealership .... Since I know more about the car . LOL
Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Pro

Many of the responses are as I had expected. The sales people know so little about the vehicles they are trying to sell you. They are not being trained properly on the technology and what the car has to really offer. They key in of a few points that was in the initial discussions and try to sell based on that. When it comes to the dealership taking time to understand this vehicle, I think they miss the opportunities for the people who are interested in the deeper understanding of what is really available. Look at how many people are still holding their cellphones driving down the street when they could easily be using Bluetooth. Do you think they just dont care or really never understood they can pair the car to the phone?
If the dealers took time to require that sales understand the features I think they could have more sales overall as it would appear to more buyers that you really understand your product.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fury63
It does amaze me how so many car salespeople know so little about their product. Maybe it’s the transient nature of that job.
This is likely part of the reason and i think many dealer only care about the overall sales today. They are not concerned about the return sales.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I let my guy do his work even though I knew more and showed him some things. I think he felt he had to do it because he was handed the sales sheet from the manager when I closed ththe deal with the manager so he really just filled out paperwork. As a sales rep myself I love those layups.
Madd Dog (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I had a 15 year jump in technology since I was coming from a 2004 TL. So there was a lot to learn. The sales rep did a decent job as an overview to get me on the road, reviewing the Acurawatch features and the Infotainment systems primarily. I do wish he would have provided more on where to go for more information after I got the vehicle home. As an example he mentioned the glove box guide but never mentioned the two pdf manuals on line for the overall vehicle and navigation. He could have put together (or someone else put together) a sheet with where to go to learn more - i.e. URLs for the manuals, owner site URL, Acuralink URL. These are not that hard to find, but it would be a nice courtesy to provide. You have to learn new things in layers, drilling down each layer into the next for the things you need. I would not have expected him to do that.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
The push back from the dealership is that it cost money to trained "knowledgable" sales reps and the customers is pushing for price price price .. So between those 2 choices , I would rather take the low price and let me learn on my own
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
There is so much turnover in auto sales as well
Old 08-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
How many of you had after sales support form your salesperson? Did they go over most of the technology in the 2019 RDX with you? Was it limited to pairing the Bluetooth phone? Did they thoroughly explain all of the key features and how they work or just a quick pairing with a pat on the back? I am curious how Acura or the dealer has prepared the sales staff to handle the new technology. Personally, I had began to read the Owners manual to discover many things in advance. I didn't give my sales person the chance to go over it as I had to be somewhere shortly after purchasing the car so mine was not at fault.
I think that the answer to this question depends on how knowledgeable the salesperson, AND the customer are. Some may not have a clue, and others will know everything. Varies all over the place. BMW has an interesting solution to this issue. Their CA's sell the car and answer basic questions, however, each dealer has someone (or more) people called a BMW Genius. That person will know all about the cars and will always sit with you for as long as you like to explain/teach you how to operate all the "stuff". You can return to the dealer for additional sessions with the Genius if you like. Works quite well in my experience.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It has all ways been offered, but I decline usually because I wind up knowing more about the car than they do.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Drifting

My sales guy was trying hard to keep up with all the tech, and I give him props for that. I am focussed on the RDX, there are other cars he has to sell.

Keep in mind, lots of us here are technical people. People who research everything we can, who our friends like to make fun of, but then ask for help. And who would simply not go for the job of Salesman. I could see myself, as a salesman, telling some customer, “No, this car is wrong for you, you need something with more brand awareness and less actual ability. Go to Mercedes. The friends you have will be more impressed.” “You can’t afford this car, WTF are you thinking? Either buy a Honda, or go look at a couple of year old cars in our certified lot. You keep rolling your negative equity over, and you will find yourself in the deep shit.”

No, I couldn’t be a salesman. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-08-2018 at 06:37 PM.