Acura Client Relations (disappointing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018 | 07:54 PM
Instructor

Acura Client Relations (disappointing)

Not to sound like a complainer (Doh) but I have had nothing but lousy service each time I talk to Acura Client Relations. I don't know if this is a training issue or what. When I asked them about the forward camera coming on when shifting from R to D, they didn't know an answer. "Fogger" had the answer in this forum. Today I talked to them about poor "real time traffic" on my Nav. They told me that AcuraLink provides this feature via cell phone towers. This is absolutely untrue, since XM/Sirius provides traffic data via satellite. I found this out after calling AcuraLink. I doubt I will ever call again.
Old 08-01-2018 | 09:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Havasubum
Not to sound like a complainer (Doh) but I have had nothing but lousy service each time I talk to Acura Client Relations. I don't know if this is a training issue or what. When I asked them about the forward camera coming on when shifting from R to D, they didn't know an answer. "Fogger" had the answer in this forum. Today I talked to them about poor "real time traffic" on my Nav. They told me that AcuraLink provides this feature via cell phone towers. This is absolutely untrue, since XM/Sirius provides traffic data via satellite. I found this out after calling AcuraLink. I doubt I will ever call again.
That is incorrect. The traffic info is gathered from the tuner unit via the FM radio ie : HD Traffic . You can sometimes see the logo displayed on the navi screen.
Hence , even if you dont extend your XM / Sirius subscription, you will still received the real time traffic
Old 08-01-2018 | 10:17 PM
Drifting

In regard to real time traffic, it might be wise to check your facts. Current Acura models DO NOT receive traffic data from Sirius/XM via satellite. Some recent models receive traffic data via an HD radio data signal, and some get it via AcuraLink from cell phone towers, using the car's built-in cellular device. This applies to Acura vehicles with "AcuraLink the Next Generation".

2019 RDX gets the traffic data from HD radio. The signal is only broadcast in major metro areas, and like any terrestrial radio signal it may be blocked by terrain. On the upside, it never requires a subscription.

Some non-current models that have the previous generation of AcuraLink receive traffic data from Sirius/XM.

As for the "forward camera", I believe that is a recently added feature and Acura's representatives may need to catch up. The owner's manuals are relatively up-to-date. If you're lucky, dealer sales staff might know the answer.

FWIW the forward camera on 2019 RDX Advance can be switched from the button at the end of the right steering column stalk.

I'm not sure if Acura Client Relations is the proper resource for technical questions on vehicle features. But then again, I'm not sure what their proper role may be, aside from "talking down" irate customers.
Old 08-02-2018 | 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
In regard to real time traffic, it might be wise to check your facts. Current Acura models DO NOT receive traffic data from Sirius/XM via satellite. Some recent models receive traffic data via an HD radio data signal, and some get it via AcuraLink from cell phone towers, using the car's built-in cellular device. This applies to Acura vehicles with "AcuraLink the Next Generation".

2019 RDX gets the traffic data from HD radio. The signal is only broadcast in major metro areas, and like any terrestrial radio signal it may be blocked by terrain. On the upside, it never requires a subscription.

Some non-current models that have the previous generation of AcuraLink receive traffic data from Sirius/XM.

As for the "forward camera", I believe that is a recently added feature and Acura's representatives may need to catch up. The owner's manuals are relatively up-to-date. If you're lucky, dealer sales staff might know the answer.

FWIW the forward camera on 2019 RDX Advance can be switched from the button at the end of the right steering column stalk.

I'm not sure if Acura Client Relations is the proper resource for technical questions on vehicle features. But then again, I'm not sure what their proper role may be, aside from "talking down" irate customers.

I would love to "check my facts" Wander. However, I only know what the "experts" tell me both at Acura and AcuraLink. How the heck would an owner otherwise "check their facts". If you have any other method I would love to know it. AcuraLink was adamant that I am receiving traffic data via Sirius/XM. He didn't mention HD ratio.
I've noticed the red icon on the screen. I'm getting mixed messages, and I'm at the point I don't know who is correct. All I know is this is the worst "real time traffic" service I've had for all my previous cars and portable Garmins in our motor home. Our Yukon's GPS works like a charm. The traffic data is bright and easy to see. It has never faded in and out like this one does.

BTW, by tapping the camera button on the wiper stalk, you activate the forward camera when shifting from reverse to drive. You'll have to go into settings to turn the feature off. I found out the hard way.

Thanks for the help Wander
Old 08-02-2018 | 01:29 AM
Instructor

Havasu,
You should check with the Acura Technical Online Manual where I download the above information . I have included a crop of the technical info on the traffic message channel
Old 08-02-2018 | 01:30 AM
Instructor

Thanks dc
Old 08-02-2018 | 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

I just read another thread about lack of Traffic info. I can’t receive any traffic info thru HD Radio, even though there are several HD Radio stations in the large metro area in Indiana I live in during the summer. The radio stations while broadcasting live traffic info are under no obligation to provide updates to systems like ours. I had the same problem with my ‘16 Lexus RX 350, but the dealership was upfront informing me about the issue. With the RX I could get traffic from using data on my iPhone, but it was off and on again; mostly off. I’m assuming that should be the case of using phone data with the RDX, but I have yet to see any traffic info displayed. I had no problems whatsoever in Florida thrunHD Radio with my RX unless I was in the boondocks somewhere. Acura support confirmed that the excellent SiriusXM Traffic and Weather was dropped due to financial considerations and that most Acura owners would be using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (eventually) for those services, if desired. Another lame excuse just like no wireless charging due to customer surveys. Right.

Last edited by Rexorg; 08-02-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2018 | 05:27 PM
Racer

Rexorg - is CarPlay a no-go for you?
Old 08-02-2018 | 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I have yet to see any “real time” traffic be worth while and Acura ACS sucks in general and I have been dealing with them on and off for 14 years.
Old 08-02-2018 | 06:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcmod

That is incorrect. The traffic info is gathered from the tuner unit via the FM radio ie : HD Traffic . You can sometimes see the logo displayed on the navi screen.
Hence , even if you dont extend your XM / Sirius subscription, you will still received the real time traffic
DCMOD

Can you tell me where you got this "Traffic Message Channel" information. I'll be darned if I can find it in either the owner's manual or the navigation manual.

Thanks

Jerry
Old 08-02-2018 | 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
I have yet to see any “real time” traffic be worth while and Acura ACS sucks in general and I have been dealing with them on and off for 14 years.
Acually Keith I own a 2017 Denali and sold a 2016 Chevy Equinox. Both had flawless real time traffic provided by XM/Sirius. Moreover, I own a Garmin 760RV 7" screen portable GPS that works just as well. The real time traffic on my new 2019 RDX sucks "BIGLY".

Thanks

Jerry
Old 08-02-2018 | 07:01 PM
Instructor

DCMOD

Can you tell me where you got this "Traffic Message Channel" information. I'll be darned if I can find it in either the owner's manual or the navigation manual.

Thanks

Jerry
Another Acurazine members posted on this https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...mation-972048/
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:10 PM
Drifting

Acually Keith I own a 2017 Denali and sold a 2016 Chevy Equinox. Both had flawless real time traffic provided by XM/Sirius. Moreover, I own a Garmin 760RV 7" screen portable GPS that works just as well. The real time traffic on my new 2019 RDX sucks "BIGLY".

Thanks

Jerry
Garmin stand-alone automotive GPS receivers use the same HERE HD radio traffic data as your RDX. I wonder if you have a problem with the HD radio antenna or tuner module.
Old 08-03-2018 | 12:46 AM
Instructor

Thank you for asking Wander. Just to clarify, the Garmin 760RV works flawlessly, while the RDX continues to fade in and out and produce inconsistent traffic data.
Old 08-03-2018 | 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

the only real-time traffic, is you sitting in traffic complaining that real-time traffic isn't working...
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018 | 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fury63
Rexorg - is CarPlay a no-go for you?
Yes, as Acura decided to only provide 1 USB capable of playing music, which I use exclusively for my tunes.
Old 08-03-2018 | 11:11 AM
Drifting

Hey, at least you got a response. I sent an inquiry via their messaging/email system and they didn't even respond back. It was for a 4G TL where I had an oil control ring go bad at about 90K miles. I figured I'd see if they could offer some sort of goodwill repair since it was clearly a manufacturing defect based on two different indy mechanics diagnosis. Obviously it was out of warranty, and I wouldn't have been heartbroken if they would have simply responded letting me know that they're unable to do the service for that reason. But no response whatsoever was pretty disappointing.
Old 08-03-2018 | 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rexorg

Yes, as Acura decided to only provide 1 USB capable of playing music, which I use exclusively for my tunes.
have you tried a usb splitter yet?
Old 08-03-2018 | 02:11 PM
Instructor

You should not use a splitter on that important USB port per the Acura User Manual.
First of all, it does not work , because the Android system does not recognize a secondary USB device
Second , you might damage that important USB ports physically by adding extra load and voltage
Old 08-03-2018 | 04:47 PM
Instructor

Rexorg

Is the dedicated music USB the one with the plastic cover closest to the driver? I'm assuming that I should plug my iPhone into it in order to play iTunes.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2018 | 05:42 PM
Drifting

Thank you for asking Wander. Just to clarify, the Garmin 760RV works flawlessly, while the RDX continues to fade in and out and produce inconsistent traffic data.
I was suggesting that the HD data tuner in the RDX is malfunctioning. But this is mere speculation. An Acura dealer might have diagnostics they could perform on the vehicle. Or not.

I haven't really put my 2019 RDX Advance through it's paces in traffic yet, and I kinda try not to do so, so I can't really comment on how the "live traffic" compares to other vehicles or GPS devices. But this vehicle replaced a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring that used the same traffic data, and I didn't really notice any problems.

The one time the Pilot's HD radio traffic let me down was when we got caught in a bolus of a few hundred thousand vehicles heading north from Denver into rural Wyoming on I-25 to view a total solar eclipse. Quite an experience. Overhead traffic sign near Fort Collins: "Heavy Traffic to Wyoming". FWIW the INRIX app on our iPhones had the most up-to-date traffic data. Which didn't help all that much, because we didn't have many options, but we made it to the totality band with a few minutes to spare.
Old 08-03-2018 | 06:21 PM
Instructor

There is only 1 USB port that is connected to the Apple Car Play, Itunes, USB memory stick and soon to be Android Auto ,, its the one in the middle compartment , next to the 2 cup holders .

The other 3 USB ports is only for charging
Old 08-30-2018 | 08:14 PM
Instructor

Update: I took my RDX to the dealer. The service manager was shocked at how crappy (his words not mine) the GPS real-time traffic information was while he watched the "green" colored line turned on and off. He said he was amazed that Acura stopped using XM/Siruis for traffic data. When he contacted Acura tech, he found out there was no fix to improve real time traffic. I then received a call from Acrua this afternoon. The tech told me that the real time traffic was provided by the FM radio, and my house in a fringe area. Temecula/Murrieta (poplulation 500K) is in the fringe area. What a joke. My 2017 Denali has a vibrant GPS with colors that really stand out. Real time traffic never disappoints. The Navi in my RDX reminds me of my parents B&W tv in 1959. The background is light gray and the words are "dirty" white. There is not enough contrast to make reading the street names easy. The entire Navi screen is dull and hard to read. Even when the colored real time traffic is visible it is dull. I'm very disappointed in this expensive car's infotainment system.