2025 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
Which cars have NA v-6 now? I can only think of the MDX and Murano. Murano will also change by next year.
The Pilot, whose V6 has already lost VTEC in the name of emissions. (I'm still surprised the MDX is keeping the old (good) engine.) The Palisade and Telluride both have the NA V6, too, although that's expected to make way for a base 4-cylinder and a boosted V6 when the next generation models arrive. Ford offers an NA V6 for the Explorer Interceptor, but all consumer models are boosted. The Grand Cherokee and Durango still have the Pentastar NA V6.
The following users liked this post:
anoop (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELIN
X3 M40i?
That's a turbocharged inline six.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (08-11-2024), quikj (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, yeah ... Cadillac still offers the NA 3.6 in the XT5 and XT6.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 905 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Oh, yeah ... Cadillac still offers the NA 3.6 in the XT5 and XT6.
I was about to say there's also the QX60, then remembered Nissan decided to throw in their terrible VC 2.0T in there instead of the very reliable and silky smooth VQ 35. What a shame.
HotRodW (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

So, I finally watched a video on the RDX changes, and I am extremely disappointed to say the least.

They finally added things that should have been on the 2019 RDX from inception like the full screen CarPlay (wtf were they thinking with that small side screen B.S, especially in camera mode and even more ridiculous in models equipped with a 360 camera). Furthermore, they butchered the center console by putting that wireless charge pad there, they've now eliminated any semblance of useable storage in the vehicle (a big gripe for me with this current generation and a big step down from the cavernous center console and extremely useful little door binnacles of the 1G). They decided that NOT removing the single barrier to sales was a great idea when they removed it in the MDX?

The only real big positive is they FINALLY made the red interior make sense. It really bothered me how the pre-lift RDX only had red leather seats and nothing else red in the interior. Then with the facelift they added the red center console lid and arm rests (which still looked off), and now they FINALLY added the red door cards and red front lower dash like on the MDX. It blows my mind that it wasn't like this in the first place!!!

In a lot of ways this facelift has turned me off from the vehicle because it feels like a slap to the face to be given things that should have existed day 1.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX10:
HotRodW (08-12-2024), oblio98 (08-12-2024), sonyfever (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 01:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
So, I finally watched a video on the RDX changes, and I am extremely disappointed to say the least.

They finally added things that should have been on the 2019 RDX from inception like the full screen CarPlay (wtf were they thinking with that small side screen B.S, especially in camera mode and even more ridiculous in models equipped with a 360 camera). Furthermore, they butchered the center console by putting that wireless charge pad there, they've now eliminated any semblance of useable storage in the vehicle
You are not alone, I also scratched my head when I saw the update. The flexible center console storage was a great feature, and Acura removed it for .... the only thing I can think of is somehow they saves cost with the new arrangement. The old center console looks like building a house on the part diagram.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's part of some super clever against-the-grain sales strategy, but at first glance it feels like Acura just didn't think they needed to put much effort into the RDX facelift. It'll be interesting to see where the sales numbers are in a couple years.

Old 08-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,440 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Maybe it's part of some super clever against-the-grain sales strategy, but at first glance it feels like Acura just didn't think they needed to put much effort into the RDX facelift. It'll be interesting to see where the sales numbers are in a couple years.

They'll still continue selling a bunch of these to folks who just want an appliance, and the apologist fanboys will point to it and say "see, Acura was right. They're unstoppable!". But the fact remains that we don't know how many more sales they would have been able to make had they made greater improvements to the RDX. There is a cost to doing a more extensive redesign, but there's also an opportunity cost for not doing a more extensive redesign. Unfortunately, the latter is a counterfactual so we'll never know what that was.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
When/if they put a more powerful engine in the RDX, I'll take a look again. Enjoyed my 20 A-Spec for ~32k miles over 3.5 years. As it stands, the current model isn't strong enough for my taste. Current SQ5 has been a real eye opener in terms of what Acura could be striving for in acceleration, braking, and handling with a Type-S variant.
Old 08-18-2024, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by NBPDC505
When/if they put a more powerful engine in the RDX, I'll take a look again. Enjoyed my 20 A-Spec for ~32k miles over 3.5 years. As it stands, the current model isn't strong enough for my taste. Current SQ5 has been a real eye opener in terms of what Acura could be striving for in acceleration, braking, and handling with a Type-S variant.
Agree. Almost 4 years of ownership with 25k miles, the new 2025 is 95% of my 2021. No reason to consider a new Acura, that’s essentially like my 2021, but $25k more.

I recently drove the 2024 BMW X3 M40i - a huge step up in refinement and performance. Acura should consider a Type S RDX.
NBPDC505 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts

As I keep pointing out, it’s working for the other guys that sell well, like the CX-5 and XC60. Everyone’s roadmaps were trashed due to the pandemic/economy and expectations for EV adoption that proved to be overzealous. So the well-regarded ICE cars will serve their purpose as cash cows that receive minimal investment. And it will work because enthusiasts are a micro portion of their prospective buyers, and because brand loyalty is dying across the auto industry. In other words, we’re harder on Acura than 9/10 prospective customers who walk into their dealerships.
clevernamehere (09-03-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
As I keep pointing out, it’s working for the other guys that sell well, like the CX-5 and XC60. Everyone’s roadmaps were trashed due to the pandemic/economy and expectations for EV adoption that proved to be overzealous. So the well-regarded ICE cars will serve their purpose as cash cows that receive minimal investment. And it will work because enthusiasts are a micro portion of their prospective buyers, and because brand loyalty is dying across the auto industry. In other words, we’re harder on Acura than 9/10 prospective customers who walk into their dealerships.
Appears a lot of MFG's have pivoted away from the craziness of pure EV by 2030 or so. Acura have a been of part to upgrade the RDX, and make a real refresh if they are holding off till 2026. There are a ton of newer models from other MFG's to consider, especially if one has already owned a 3rd gen RDX.

However, I understand that sales have slowed drastically, prices have gone up 20% in 3 years and lots are flooded with new and used inventory. Given that economic landscape - most mfg's will delay new R&D for a while till the dust settles.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Trashed roadmap or not, the RDX's update is a bit of a joke. All legacy automakers are in the same boat when it comes to transitioning to EVs, yet even when some others are resorting to a second mid-cycle update, they're making genuine improvements.

As for being harder on Acura than others, I'm hard on all automakers when they make questionable decisions. And while there's a special place in my heart for Honda/Acura, I'm blindly loyal to no brand. That gives me the objectivity to call things as I see them. Acura needs to do better.
The following 4 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (08-20-2024), ESHBG (08-20-2024), NBPDC505 (08-20-2024), RDX10 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 310 Posts
Trashed roadmap or not, the RDX's update is a bit of a joke. All legacy automakers are in the same boat when it comes to transitioning to EVs, yet even when some others are resorting to a second mid-cycle update, they're making genuine improvements.

As for being harder on Acura than others, I'm hard on all automakers when they make questionable decisions. And while there's a special place in my heart for Honda/Acura, I'm blindly loyal to no brand. That gives me the objectivity to call things as I see them. Acura needs to do better.
I'm not sure that updates are worth it. Most of the new Lexuses are worse than their older counterparts (RFT + no spare on NX, electronic door handles, too much screen and confusion controls, etc.). The new X3 looks worse than the old one.

I think the RDX is fine as it is. There are some minor tweaks it may need, but the only thing IMO that needs a big update is the transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
markm929 (08-20-2024), Pens Fan (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure that updates are worth it. Most of the new Lexuses are worse than their older counterparts (RFT + no spare on NX, electronic door handles, too much screen and confusion controls, etc.). The new X3 looks worse than the old one.

I think the RDX is fine as it is. There are some minor tweaks it may need, but the only thing IMO that needs a big update is the transmission.
Interesting that you have no problem objectively seeing what other automakers have done wrong, yet you think Acura keeping the True Touchpad or ignoring growing demand for hybrids is "fine". I know you wrote it, but do you honestly believe it? That a touchscreen and hybrid option wouldn't make the RDX lineup, better?
mantan (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting that you have no problem objectively seeing what other automakers have done wrong, yet you think Acura keeping the True Touchpad or ignoring growing demand for hybrids is "fine". I know you wrote it, but do you honestly believe it? That a touchscreen and hybrid option wouldn't make the RDX lineup, better?
It would but only if done right. I would take physical climate controls + touch pad 10/10 times over Lexus' big touch screen for both climate and infotainment coupled with weird 2-step steering controls. The MDX has a touchscreen, but it requires you to lean forward to reach it. In that instance too, I prefer the touchpad. Lack of a hybrid option is bad, but if Acura were to charge $5K more for it, I would really think twice before paying for it (and Acura/Honda hybrids aren't known for having the best mpg).

I'm no fan boy. You have to look closely at what the competition is doing and see the frustration people have there to appreciate what Acura is doing right. I have spent a lot of time on Lexus forums and with the new models there are tons of "never buying another Lexus" type posts. I know Acura has its share of those too.

For me, I went from a 2019 to a 2023 RDX. I strongly considered the NX hybrid, but it just wasn't adding up for me as a total package. At first I had buyers remorse because it seemed a substantially similar car, but as I've used it, it's grown on me. The dials are cleaner and I'm almost 100% CarPlay for everything which was unusable on the 2019.

Tell me what you think is better and I'll tell you some of its cons.

Last edited by anoop; 08-20-2024 at 03:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by anoop:
amcobra (08-31-2024), HotRodW (08-20-2024), Pens Fan (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

It would but only if done right. I would take physical climate controls + touch pad 10/10 times over Lexus' big touch screen for both climate and infotainment coupled with weird 2-step steering controls. The MDX has a touchscreen, but it requires you to lean forward to reach it. In that instance too, I prefer the touchpad. Lack of a hybrid option is bad, but if Acura were to charge $5K more for it, I would really think twice before paying for it (and Acura/Honda hybrids aren't know for having the best mpg).

For me, I went from a 2019 to a 2023 RDX. I strongly considered the NX hybrid, but it just wasn't adding up for me as a total package. At first I had buyers remorse because it seemed a substantially similar car, but as I've used it, it's grown on me. The dials are cleaner and I'm almost 100% CarPlay for everything which was unusable on the 2019.

Tell me what you think is better and I'll tell you some of its cons.
I haven't shopped the NX, so I'll just go with the three things I feel confident saying Lexus does better with the NX ... multiple powertrain choices, fuel economy (all powertrains - even the 350 if I'm not mistaken), and touchscreen. Not coincidentally, these are the three ongoing criticisms I've had of the RDX. But they're big criticisms. Clearly not you, but big enough to swing some shoppers the other way I'll wager. The RDX has so much going for it, it's frustrating to see Acura allow the few but significant negatives to go mostly unaddressed.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I haven't shopped the NX, so I'll just go with the three things I feel confident saying Lexus does better with the NX ... multiple powertrain choices, fuel economy (all powertrains - even the 350 if I'm not mistaken), and touchscreen. Not coincidentally, these are the three ongoing criticisms I've had of the RDX. But they're big criticisms. Clearly not you, but big enough to swing some shoppers the other way I'll wager. The RDX has so much going for it, it's frustrating to see Acura allow the few but significant negatives to go mostly unaddressed.
Not sure the 350 has materially better mpg.
https://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/nx350
https://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/rdx

I'm also of the school that fewer options is better. Look up "The Paradox of Choice". I wouldn't care for a Type S. A hybrid would be fine provided it is priced right. If it was a no cost option (like NX 350 vs NX 350h (but it turns out it really isn't no cost because dealer markup)) then I would prefer hybrid.

I also like the simple shopping with Acura--just pick color and trim. With Lexus, they have tons of options that can be added to each trim level and guess what all the cars show up with more rather than less options (usually useless ones) AND for in demand models like hybrids they show up with a ton of port installed options as well like all season floor mats and towing hook (who tows anything with an NX?).
Old 08-20-2024, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts

Some had more unfortunate timing than others based on product lifecycles. I'm curious which makers you're thinking about with their 2nd MCUs that are so impressive. What exactly are you expecting? If you're one of those who wanted a new engine, that's not realistic. Those things take 4-5 years to set in motion, even if the engine if off-the-shelf. I have no reason to believe Acura didn't make reasonable business decisions with this impromptu MCU two years ago when everyone was forced to pivot. If RDX sales tank, then I'll eat my words. I don't think that's gonna happen though.
Old 08-20-2024, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Some had more unfortunate timing than others based on product lifecycles. I'm curious which makers you're thinking about with their 2nd MCUs that are so impressive. What exactly are you expecting? If you're one of those who wanted a new engine, that's not realistic. Those things take 4-5 years to set in motion, even if the engine if off-the-shelf. I have no reason to believe Acura didn't make reasonable business decisions with this impromptu MCU two years ago when everyone was forced to pivot. If RDX sales tank, then I'll eat my words. I don't think that's gonna happen though.
The Mercedes GLE and GLS are great examples. Like Acura, MB realized they needed to extend the life of some of their ICE models. The first mid-cycle update for the GLE involved the typical front, rear and interior and infotainment tweaks, plus the addition of mild hybrid base engine and an all-new plug-in hybrid for the middle of the lineup. Test mules reflecting the pending second update have been spotted with new grille/front end design, new lighting front and rear, new MB.OS "supercomputer", new steering wheel and dash layout, and optional MBUX SuperScreen. Again, that's the second update.

What did I expect from Acura? At minimum I expected what most of us expected ... a revised center stack with a touchscreen. I also expected more styling updates. And although engine changes do happen with refreshes, no - I did not expect a new engine. Acura has made it pretty clear they're not developing all new engines. But that doesn't mean they can't improve what they have, and there's lots of room for improvement. A mild hybrid system or even adding the CR-V's hybrid powertrain could have been done, and it wouldn't have taken four to five years, which is the development time for an all-new model.
ESHBG (08-21-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Very well said. The RDX sells well because it is still a value play against the German competition and even against the Japanese competition (a similarly spec'd NX is a whopping 10K more and doesn't even offer things like torque vectoring AWD.....we won't even talk about the QX60). If it were priced the same it would not sell nearly as well and the changes they have made are insulting because they are things that should have existed on the 2019 models.

The Mercedes GLE and GLS are great examples. Like Acura, MB realized they needed to extend the life of some of their ICE models. The first mid-cycle update for the GLE involved the typical front, rear and interior and infotainment tweaks, plus the addition of mild hybrid base engine and an all-new plug-in hybrid for the middle of the lineup. Test mules reflecting the pending second update have been spotted with new grille/front end design, new lighting front and rear, new MB.OS "supercomputer", new steering wheel and dash layout, and optional MBUX SuperScreen. Again, that's the second update.

What did I expect from Acura? At minimum I expected what most of us expected ... a revised center stack with a touchscreen. I also expected more styling updates. And although engine changes do happen with refreshes, no - I did not expect a new engine. Acura has made it pretty clear they're not developing all new engines. But that doesn't mean they can't improve what they have, and there's lots of room for improvement. A mild hybrid system or even adding the CR-V's hybrid powertrain could have been done, and it wouldn't have taken four to five years, which is the development time for an all-new model.
We don't really even need to look at MB to see this is doable. Acura themselves have historically been able to make these changes within their own vehicles (see 3G MDX adding a 9AT 2 years in, in 2016, and Sport hybrid powertrains the following year or 2 later). In my opinion anyone trying to defend the mediocre changes really needs to give their head a shake. The changes in 2022 alone were barely there, but sure fine we can accept it somewhat as the norm, but if you're going to make another refresh you damn well better do something worthwhile especially considering they literally have the parts for a touchscreen setup right on the shelf. The fact they not only kept the horrible touchscreen but also made the interior ergonomics even worse by removing the only good storage space is baffling.

They could have EASILY put in the touchscreen and digital dash for 2025. With that being said where the hell is the Type S model? The fact they introduced the 3G RDX at the same time as they announced the return of Type-S and then proceeded to completely skip it is wild.

Last edited by RDX10; 08-29-2024 at 12:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RDX10:
ESHBG (08-29-2024), HotRodW (08-29-2024), markm929 (09-01-2024), oblio98 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1,266 Likes on 921 Posts
I think Acura left the TT in the RDX to steer folks towards the ZDX (which does have a Type S version)! Acura wants EV to succeed so bad that they've doubled down on the decision to kill off the SH from years ago!
Old 08-31-2024, 06:12 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I think Acura left the TT in the RDX to steer folks towards the ZDX (which does have a Type S version)! Acura wants EV to succeed so bad that they've doubled down on the decision to kill off the SH from years ago!
My dealer has 7 ZDX's and is offering (me) $18,800 off list. I laughed. No way do I want an all electric car. I think that Acura is going to lose their shirts on this ZDX. They should have put more effort into the car that actually sells, the RDX. If they would have done a TypeS with new infotainment I'd be standing in line right now.
The following 8 users liked this post by oblio98:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (09-03-2024), ELIN (08-31-2024), HotRodW (09-04-2024), mantan (09-01-2024), Pens Fan (09-01-2024), RDX10 (09-04-2024), supafamous (09-02-2024), Texasrdx21 (09-02-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:35 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 438 Likes on 300 Posts
Future of TLX..???

I just read an article that was saying...."it looks like Acura is leaning towards dropping the TLX at the end of 2025."
They are basing it on poor last 1/4 sales, and maybe something that was "heard elsewhere." AND the fact Acura seems
to be putting more money into an assy. line for EV's.

Now, I've owned a TON of Acuras, and many other vehicles. I don't want an EV and it seems most don't. ZDX is not selling,
and Cadillac EV's don't appear to be either. Lots of each at dealers.
I can't imagine going "in deeper" on EV's. Big mistake. I know Ford, GM...some have pulled back on $$ investments in to EV
production processes. It's a loser for sure. Hope Acura gets smart...and I thought they and Honda were about keeping ICE vehicles
around and go very slow on EV.'s, or at least too, Hybrids.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:53 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 438 Likes on 300 Posts
Totally agree. I owned the '19 A-Spec, and the '22 A-Spec/Adv. That '22 was really nice with all the goodies. Wife loved it. But, the darn
MDX Type S/Adv. came out and I had to have it. We love driving it and all it has to offer for the price. But, she can't get it parked in our tight
garage, so I always take it out and put away for her. She wants the new RDX...in A-Spec/Adv..in Apex Blue Pearl with Orchid int. Hey what
she wants, she gets. So, my dealer has me on the list for that one.

I will say that this new "version" of the RDX is just fine. Why...'cause the previous one was darn good and now these few changes help it out more.
It is certainly quick enough....I thought that when we owned the '19 model. With Adv. features it's comfy, rides great, outstanding as always ELS
sound system. I've owned 11 Acuras so far, and all had the ELS, which has become better....and we are very used to the "touch pad." No issues with
it. Many testers have said...Hmmmm...once you spend real time with it it's not bad at all. No reaching for a touch screen, it's fast, and actually less time is
spent looking at the screen. My wife and I should know...again, after so many Acuras with touch pads...it's just "normal" for us now and NO...it didn't take
owning 11 Acuras to get used to it. After 1st one...about a couple days or so.

I like the new wheels on the A-Spec/Adv. Finally something not black and dingy looking. Contrast is always great. But, each to their own.
She is very anxious to get "her RDX" again. For just the 2 of us and our "mini Doxie" it proved before that it was big enough, lux enough, and
strong enough for us. I always have a "play car" of some kind. Dealer is TRYING to get me a '25 TLX Type S. But, few made, allocations are hard
to come by, etc. Had a '22. Should have kept it. But, hopefully I'll get lucky and he'll find a way. Last one took a dealer trade from factory to get it.
The following 6 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
anoop (09-03-2024), oblio98 (09-06-2024), Pens Fan (09-04-2024), RDX10 (09-04-2024), Texasrdx21 (09-05-2024), Tony Pac (09-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-04-2024, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts
I agree with your comments above. I too had an MDX Type S after two previous gasoline and one Hybrid (big mistake by Acura to discontinue that awesome offering). I also had to have the Type S but while it was in the shop for replacement of a leaking transfer case I was provided with a brand new 2024 RDX Advance. Driving it home I remarked that it felt like a baby MDX to me with all of the features I need on a luxury vehicle without the bulk of the MDX. Needless to say within a month I traded the MDX for the RDX Aspec Advance. I love the touch pad as well-the gripes are a joke to me it is very easy to get used to. I too am glad not much has changed for the 2025 model as every MMC by Acura improves on the previous years model. I will re-up with another RDX when this lease expires in 2 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pens Fan:
anoop (09-04-2024), oblio98 (09-06-2024)