2025 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you think it's possible that older years will see a firmware to fix wide-screen support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay?
Old 08-07-2024, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
Do you think it's possible that older years will see a firmware to fix wide-screen support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay?
I doubt it — Acura is not like Tesla plus I think the screen itself may be different. I don’t think there’s any mode where the current screen is not spilt.
Old 08-07-2024, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I doubt it — Acura is not like Tesla plus I think the screen itself may be different. I don’t think there’s any mode where the current screen is not spilt.
Bummer. Wish Acura was more tech focused.
Old 08-07-2024, 03:43 PM
Drifting

Received 1,266 Likes on 921 Posts
Anyone who's ever called the G01 X3 "old" compared to the RDX now really has no foot to stand on!
The following users liked this post:
supafamous (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 03:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpaceBot
No. How would Acura get you to upgrade then?
Old 08-07-2024, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Anyone who's ever called the G01 X3 "old" compared to the RDX now really has no foot to stand on!
100%. The X3 is terrific - I drove the EV version for a week in Australia and was thoroughly impressed by every aspect of it. It was a better car than the RDX in nearly every way and by no mean is dated. If it had a good hybrid or PHEV version I'd be very interested in buying one (the PHEV is too compromised with the trunk and range).
Old 08-07-2024, 07:03 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I checked out on-line the X3 and the Q3. The X3 is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I mean, I thought the GV70 looked odd, but the X3 is horrible from the front, and the interior, while it looks very high-tech, it still pretty gaudy. I have not seen it in person mind you, this is just from the BMW web page. The Audi looks a lot better than the BMW, but, and I may be biased of course, the RDX still looks better to me.

Still I wish they had made more changes for 25. I am fixed on a new car every 3 years to keep the warranty rolling along, and to avoid that big service bill that hits around this time. It's not an easy choice right now. The MDX is just too big, and I just am not that enthused about the other cars in this class. I could always go back to a truck!
anoop (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Link to a good video review of the changes.

Like several have said, it's a disappointing refresh. A digital dash of the new TLX and touchscreen of the new MDX should have been table stakes for a refresh. The plus side is my lease is up on my TLX and they are phenomenal lease deals on the 24s. I didn't want to be caught with buyer's remorse if the 25s were a significant upgrade. No reason not to pull the trigger now...
The following 2 users liked this post by mantan:
oblio98 (08-07-2024), silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Unlike most other people here, I'm glad Acura didn't make too many drastic changes to the 25' RDX.
Like I said in a previous post, I tried out a 25' MDX and I wasn't thrilled with the touchscreen because of the reach and the amount of time you need to take your eyes off the road. The new operating system with Google built-in is really nice though. I also wasn't thrilled with the B&O system compared to the ELS.
The digital instrumental panel would have been nice, as well as a larger infotainment screen. No big deals though.
The RDX is already a great car, very smooth and quiet, reliable, great audio system, and handles extremely well. I'm glad Acura is not forcing too much new tech into their cars which would drive up prices and probably drive down reliability.

BTW, they mention the A-Spec and A-Spec Advance get full leather upholstery, which is confirmed in the picture with the red interior. I guess no more suede seat inserts in those models, although I still see the suede on the dash and door panels.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cygnus_X1:
anoop (08-07-2024), Pens Fan (08-08-2024), Tony Pac (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ From what I hear suede is hard to keep clean.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
It really shouldn't matter. A screen is a screen. It would just be a software update but Acura doesn't have an incentive to update it though.
silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ross7777
It really shouldn't matter. A screen is a screen. It would just be a software update but Acura doesn't have an incentive to update it though.
It looks almost as if the current panel is comprised of two separate screens. So the software controls two separate displays.

if you are aware of anyone that has opened one up and can either confirm or refute this, that would be great.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
The only surprise with the update is that the touchpad is still there - I wonder what the holdup was for that as the work is largely done with the MDX implementation. If you're already redesigning the centre console (with all new parts) then just get on with getting rid of the touchpad.
This MMC appears to be an exercise of how to reuse MDX parts as much as possible (=lowest cost) to freshen up the interior. Building from top down surely seems easier than going bottom up on ZDX.

The wireless charging pad, the cup holders, the illuminated speakers, all look straight out of MDX part bins. The widescreen support should come to the other Acuras with the 2nd-gen TrueTouch infotainment soon.
Old 08-08-2024, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
It looks almost as if the current panel is comprised of two separate screens. So the software controls two separate displays.

if you are aware of anyone that has opened one up and can either confirm or refute this, that would be great.
It is a single display, the OS sees one display, but Acura changed the System UI setting to arrange the display into two windows. Each window is drawn by its own graphic thread, and the right-side B window is always on-the-top

I tried sideloading Firefox and play YouTube full screen, and YouTube indeed played full screen, but B window blocked the view. I tried killing the B window thread to no avail.

I think the widescreen support would be available on gen-2 TrueTouch through a SW update.

Last edited by sonyfever; 08-08-2024 at 12:23 AM.
anoop (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 06:11 AM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
It is a single display, the OS sees one display, but Acura changed the System UI setting to arrange the display into two windows. Each window is drawn by its own graphic thread, and the right-side B window is always on-the-top

I tried sideloading Firefox and play YouTube full screen, and YouTube indeed played full screen, but B window blocked the view. I tried killing the B window thread to no avail.

I think the widescreen support would be available on gen-2 TrueTouch through a SW update.
I had the 1st gen Lexus NX with a similar setup. Screen was divided but CarPlay was full screen. CarPlay was not standard but offered as an update a few months after I bought it. So updates can be made later.

It would be a software update but Acura doesn’t seem very motivated to make those changes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ross7777:
anoop (08-08-2024), silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 06:36 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Just for the heck of it, I checked out on-line the X3 and the Q3. The X3 is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I mean, I thought the GV70 looked odd, but the X3 is horrible from the front, and the interior, while it looks very high-tech, it still pretty gaudy. I have not seen it in person mind you, this is just from the BMW web page. The Audi looks a lot better than the BMW, but, and I may be biased of course, the RDX still looks better to me.

Still I wish they had made more changes for 25. I am fixed on a new car every 3 years to keep the warranty rolling along, and to avoid that big service bill that hits around this time. It's not an easy choice right now. The MDX is just too big, and I just am not that enthused about the other cars in this class. I could always go back to a truck!
You can buy acuracare for 8yr / 125k miles from an online dealer way cheaper than buying a new car, and also avoid the service bills.
The following 2 users liked this post by mvl:
cwatt79 (08-08-2024), silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts
^ From what I hear suede is hard to keep clean.
Love/hate relationship with the suede in mine. Love the looks and feel but yes, a pain to clean especially if anything remotely sticky touches it. Good thing I have 1.5 year old....

Looks like they went a little too red in some of those pics. The extra console and speaker lighting is cool, wish my '21 had that. Over all I like the minimal changes since 2019, its a good looking car with better than class average power and superior handling. If it aint broke dont fix it! Look at brands like Porsche, has the 911 ever had a drastic change? No, and some with many of their other models, they have a slow progression of change that keeps the cars looking relatively the same but just updated every few years. I think the fact that Honda drastically changed the Civic every 2-3 years is ridiculous. Glad Acura stays steady with the RDX.
anoop (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 972 Posts
RDX is one of the best sellers for Acura and in its segment. Acura cannot afford to screw up. I know we can all sit and talk, but believe me from a financial point of view and creating the next best generation of RDX, Honda/Acura made the wise decision. Of course, you can interpret their 2025 model however if you want but that's the reality.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
anoop (08-08-2024), Twism86 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mantan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRW1kdlLPoY

Link to a good video review of the changes.

Like several have said, it's a disappointing refresh. A digital dash of the new TLX and touchscreen of the new MDX should have been table stakes for a refresh. The plus side is my lease is up on my TLX and they are phenomenal lease deals on the 24s. I didn't want to be caught with buyer's remorse if the 25s were a significant upgrade. No reason not to pull the trigger now...
He brings out a good point about the ADX. Could be the reason why not much was spent on this RDX MMC. The ADX will no doubt take from RDX sales, so keep the spending on it to a minimum.
mantan (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
I am fixed on a new car every 3 years to keep the warranty rolling along, and to avoid that big service bill that hits around this time.
You take a five-figure depreciation hit to avoid a low-four-figure extended warranty and maintenance bill?
The following 2 users liked this post by cwatt79:
silverTL6 (08-08-2024), sonyfever (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cwatt79
You take a five-figure depreciation hit to avoid a low-four-figure extended warranty and maintenance bill?
Exactly the position I am in. My RDX is almost 4 years old, 25k miles and looks better than the day I bought it (thanks to DIY detail and yearly paint+trim correction) + rock solid reliable. No repairs or issues besides maintenance (5 oil changes, one diff fluid change, brake fluid change, one set of wiper blades, 5 tire rotations and DIY 4x engine and air cabin filer) = less than $1k. Still original tires and brakes.

IMO - 2025 model is just a HUGE price increase for cosmetic stuff ($57k, verse $33k or less trade in value) plus - extended zero deductible warranty through Acura is $1200 for another 3 years and 50K miles - no brainer. For a portion the price of taxes on a new vehicle, I can get new tires, upgrade the brakes and keep driving it till something more appealing comes out.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 08-08-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

it’s what I did

but I’m driving a new car with bumper to bumper warranty and have wireless CarPlay.

and as long as it’s financially feasible I would do it again in 2 years even if it’s the same rdx (assuming there’s nothing better by then).

Keep in mind even the old car continues to depreciate.

Taxes are a bit higher, insurance is the same. You either take a big hit in depreciation (new car) or you take a smaller hit in depreciation + higher maintenance cost + cost of extended warranty or risk of big repair + driving an older car (rattles, trim issues).

Last edited by anoop; 08-08-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:33 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 157 Posts
Extended Acuracare costs about 2k for 8yr / 150kiles from an online dealer. It covers suspension wear and tear, but not rattles.

That easily beats the half depreciation, half taxes, and maybe 25% insurance savings that used gets vs new.

Only reason I'd buy a new car is a new must have feature. I don't see any of those in this refresh unless they also turned the Android/Carplay to 1:1 positioning. Then maybe if you really were into tech.
silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Taxes are a bit higher, insurance is the same. You either take a big hit in depreciation (new car) or you take a smaller hit in depreciation + higher maintenance cost + cost of extended warranty or risk of big repair + driving an older car (rattles, trim issues).
Depreciation from years 4 through 6 is nowhere near as high as years 1 through 3. Barring some very rare and catastrophic failure, the cost of keeping and maintaining a car is nowhere near the cost of replacing it with a new one. If you just want to always have a new car, great. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's a financially sound practice!

P.S. On second thought, please keep trading in your 2–3-year-old vehicles. I'd like to keep being able to buy gently used cars for 70% of their original price!
anoop (08-08-2024), silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

it’s what I did

but I’m driving a new car with bumper to bumper warranty and have wireless CarPlay.

and as long as it’s financially feasible I would do it again in 2 years even if it’s the same rdx (assuming there’s nothing better by then).

Sounds like getting a new vehicle works best for you once the original MFG warranty is almost done. Depreciation on an older car flattens outs after year 3-4, as the first 2 years are brutal in depreciation (in terms of % and dollar amounts). Not much more maintenance on a 3-5 year old with average miles than normal, besides tires and maybe brake pads. I try to keep my vehicles for 4-7 years and invest the rest.
silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Depreciation from years 4 through 6 is nowhere near as high as years 1 through 3. Barring some very rare and catastrophic failure, the cost of keeping and maintaining a car is nowhere near the cost of replacing it with a new one. If you just want to always have a new car, great. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's a financially sound practice!

P.S. On second thought, please keep trading in your 2–3-year-old vehicles. I'd like to keep being able to buy gently used cars for 70% of their original price!
I agree on the depreciation part but that's because now you have to put money into maintenance.

Yes, it is more expensive to drive new all the time, but you do get to enjoy a new car. I don't see anything wrong with that if one can afford it.

We worry about a few thousand here and there only until we have a serious health issue. Then we realize a few thousand don't really matter when we see the size of medical bills.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Sounds like getting a new vehicle works best for you once the original MFG warranty is almost done. Depreciation on an older car flattens outs after year 3-4, as the first 2 years are brutal in depreciation (in terms of % and dollar amounts). Not much more maintenance on a 3-5 year old with average miles than normal, besides tires and maybe brake pads. I try to keep my vehicles for 4-7 years and invest the rest.
My ideal would be to keep it approx 4 years just before it is out of factory warranty. My 2019 was traded at 4.5 years because the pandemic made supply a problem. I paid $46k OTD for it and got $31k in trade-in.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:06 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Have any of you guys checked out a CX-70? It looks to be priced a bit under the RDX. From what I saw on the Mazda website, it looks pretty nice, however, their pictures there are not that great.

Last edited by oblio98; 08-08-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:16 PM
Instructor

I agree on the depreciation part but that's because now you have to put money into maintenance.

Yes, it is more expensive to drive new all the time, but you do get to enjoy a new car. I don't see anything wrong with that if one can afford it.

We worry about a few thousand here and there only until we have a serious health issue. Then we realize a few thousand don't really matter when we see the size of medical bills.
I'm guessing, since we're talking about a premium brand, you'd probably have to put up about $20k if not more to trade a three-year-old vehicle into a new version of the same vehicle, assuming average mileage and good condition. That's compared to at most $3-4k in maintenance, likely less.

Of course, if you can comfortably afford it then go for it. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone from doing what you want with your money. I just don't want people thinking that buying a new vehicle every three years is the most cost-effective method of vehicle ownership. It pains me to see how many people (who can't comfortably afford it) blow money needlessly on new vehicles.
markAZ (08-09-2024), silverTL6 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 02:27 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Everyone knows, it's clearly more 'fiscally responsible' to keep a car rather than do the old fashioned 'every 3 year' deal, but I get bored and I LIKE to get a new car every three years. I can afford it. It's not a huge deal. I get a decent trade in and I always try and do it before a major service and the warranty expires. It's not for folks on a tight budget, I'll admit. But it's one of the few things I indulge on for me. I work my butt off so that I can do stuff like this.

It's really up to each person on what they want or like to do.
The following 6 users liked this post by oblio98:
cwatt79 (08-09-2024), mantan (08-08-2024), marcolou (08-15-2024), markAZ (08-09-2024), NBPDC505 (08-15-2024), Texasrdx21 (08-08-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2024, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Have any of you guys checked out a CX-70? It looks to be priced a bit under the RDX. From what I saw on the Mazda website, it looks pretty nice, however, their pictures there are not that great.
Drove one, it’s nice. You have to get the top model for ventilation seats. It’s a mild hybrid with a turbo, longer than the RDX - but drives well. Local Mazda dealer has at least 100 CX 90 and 70 on the lot - bursting at the seams.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
ESHBG (08-08-2024), oblio98 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm guessing, since we're talking about a premium brand, you'd probably have to put up about $20k if not more to trade a three-year-old vehicle into a new version of the same vehicle, assuming average mileage and good condition. That's compared to at most $3-4k in maintenance, likely less.

Of course, if you can comfortably afford it then go for it. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone from doing what you want with your money. I just don't want people thinking that buying a new vehicle every three years is the most cost-effective method of vehicle ownership. It pains me to see how many people (who can't comfortably afford it) blow money needlessly on new vehicles.
plus the depreciation of the old one of the ownership period of the new one. There’s a pretty big hit in depreciation as the car approaches 100k miles. And also the extended warranty cost unless you’re self insuring. You save maybe $2k per year.

of course if your DIY maintenance then math is totally different.
Old 08-08-2024, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

My ideal would be to keep it approx 4 years just before it is out of factory warranty. My 2019 was traded at 4.5 years because the pandemic made supply a problem. I paid $46k OTD for it and got $31k in trade-in.
Hard to justify selling my 2021 in perfect condition with only 25k miles on it to get only minimal updates and a new warranty. Like I noted before - Acura Care extended warranty is only $1,200 to add 3 more years and up to 80k. Thats a super deal and peace of mind. Plus - with all the quality and recall issues - I'll hold on to my super reliable and rock solid RDX.
Old 08-08-2024, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 203 Posts
I had been waiting for the CX-70 when I was shopping a few months ago, but I managed a pretty spectacular deal on my A6 allroad, so I never got a chance to drive one. I have two neighbors who have purchased CX90's shortly after they were released, however, and I've watched/read quite a few reviews. Conclusion: there seems to be absolutely no consensus on the CX70/90 except that everyone agrees it's fun to drive for its size and the fuel economy is impressive. Some like the straight six, some feel it's smooth but underpowered even in S guise. Some say the gearbox is fine, others say it's unrefined and can surprise you with harsh shifts at times. Many have criticized the ride for being too harsh for a family cruiser. (Both of my neighbors agree on that point.) One neighbor says the steering is too heavy to the point that his wife refuses to drive the car. And she doesn't really like to ride in it, so I'm thinking he'll be moving on pretty quickly. Even the infotainment system and gear selector are polarizing. I realize this probably doesn't help you much at all, but I thought I'd relay it anyway. I'm anxious to drive one myself at some point just to evaluate all this stuff for myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
eddailey (08-14-2024), oblio98 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

While at service one time, I stopped by the Mazda dealer. I was unimpressed because everything they had on the floor, as it feels a noticeable step below Acura (but then it costs less as well). I found the seats weren't as comfortable either. After that, I stopped by the Subaru dealer. Subaru had some trims that were decent but still I thought it was a step below Acura. Overall, it made me appreciate the RDX a lot more.
oblio98 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Longhorn3
He brings out a good point about the ADX. Could be the reason why not much was spent on this RDX MMC. The ADX will no doubt take from RDX sales, so keep the spending on it to a minimum.
Only way the ADX could be a disaster is if it somehow had less interior room than a TLX!
Old 08-08-2024, 07:19 PM
Drifting

The CX70 is just a CX90 w/o the third row. In all honesty, Mazda should have just called it a different "trim" instead of a brand new model! I used to think the CX70 was oversized because it's based on the 3-row CX90 but then I realized that it's comparable to other mid-size SUVs from other brands and it is in fact the CX90 that's undersized (especially as a 3-row)!
Old 08-08-2024, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 203 Posts
I used to think the CX70 was oversized because it's based on the 3-row CX90 but then I realized that it's comparable to other mid-size SUVs from other brands and it is in fact the CX90 that's undersized (especially as a 3-row)!
It's only undersized on the interior. The exterior isn't just larger than other midsize 2-rows, it's larger than most 3-row crossovers. It has 2-1/2" on the MDX, an inch on the Pilot, and nearly a foot on the Passport, with which it's supposed to compete. Yet despite the size disadvantage, the Passport has a larger rear seat and more cargo capacity. It's typical poor packaging by Mazda.

Remember a few years ago when it was rumored Acura was adding their own version of the Pilot to the lineup? Then later it turned into the ZDX instead, of course. I won't pretend to know how many they'd sell, but a slightly shorter two-row version of the MDX would definitely get my attention.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (08-09-2024), oblio98 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:28 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Thanks everyone for the CX-70 info. If it's the same size as an MDX then I don't think I really would like it, however, I might just go check it out to torture the salesman. I haven't done that in years, maybe decades. Other than a few detours, I've only bought Acura's since my 1999 TL
HotRodW (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Only way the ADX could be a disaster is if it somehow had less interior room than a TLX!
Posting a video below with speculation it'll be based on the European Honda ZRV...which is their hybrid version of a Honda HRV. Give it an upscale interior and price it under the (just got a convenient price hike) RDX.

And it'll be in a weird spot. It's probably too small for many customers. But will be appealing because it's a hybrid. But if you're 'entry' model into Acura is a hybrid and then you can only upgrade to ICE it may not be appealing. So maybe they'll just go with a straight ICE version of the HRV with a CVT. Then you're getting a total compromise that'll be on brand for what Acura is doing these days.

It's frustrating how they don't put the work into making their cars as good as they could be.

Quick Reply: 2025 Acura RDX