2022 A-Spec/Advance 1 week review

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 A-Spec/Advance 1 week review

I took delivery of my 2022 a week ago. I've only put 195 miles on it so far but I'm really enjoying it. I traded in a 2019 Lexus NX300 F-Sport.

I really like the way it drives compared to the NX300. SH-AWD is worlds better than the slip to grip on the NX and our QX60. The differences between the driving modes are much more noticeable than the NX as well. Sport mode is very aggressive IMO. I only wish there was a custom mode where I could have comfort suspension with sport shifting. The NX had that option.

I have a few dislikes but they are not dealbreakers for me and I knew of most of them going in.

-Drives/handles great. Sporty but comfortable. Plenty of pep for me.
-Seats are fantastic. Love all the adjustability.
-HUD- Great implementation. The fact that it shows CarPlay nav directions is smart.
-Heated steering wheel is much better than the NX which was only heated on the sides and not the top and bottom. Also wasn't very warm.
-Love the pano roof. (unless it starts creaking...) Didn't have it on the NX.
-Wireless CarPlay and charging is very nice. Although sometimes I forget my phone is on the wireless charger after I get out of the car.
-Audio- Really liking the ELS system so far. I've decided I don't like the DTS feature though.
-Auto folding mirrors. Surprised they didn't have this to begin with. The NX had them along with our QX60 but the QX60 doesn't auto fold when you lock the doors.
-Interior lighting- This is a fun option. I like that you can set it up to change based on the driving mode. There are 20+ other styles but you have to dig into the menu to change it. I doubt I'll ever bother.
-Walk away auto-lock.
-Sliding arm rest. I like the adjustability.
-Lane keeping- this works much better than the NX as it didn't steer for you. It just vibrated when you drifted. I haven't used it a lot but it works great in the limited time I've used it.
-Overall size- For our family of 4 this is about the perfect size. We already have a QX60 so no need for another 3 row. Doesn't take up a ton of garage space either.
-Trunk space- The underfloor storage is a nice feature and it's easily accessible.
-Remote start- preheats the cabin nicely- Turns on heated seats and steering wheel. Good range.
-Sunglass holder. Not a big deal but the NX actually didn't have one.

Dislikes:
-Manual steering wheel adjustments. Not a big deal but the NX and my wife's QX60 had a power adjustable steering wheel tied to the memory function. She's a lot shorter than me so it was a nice convenience.
-XM radio- The sound quality is not great. Seems to be pretty typical on every car I've owned though.
-I wish the screen had a full-screen option for CarPlay. However it is nice I can display the FM station while using the CarPlay map.
-Red/white guages. Sometimes they look great but not in all conditions. If I didn't have a HUD I would really hate them.
-Cup holders- Why is one smaller than the other? They do have tabs to keep things in place at least.
-Need more exterior lighting- The NX had little LEDs in the door handles that turned on when you approached. The RDX has this in the side-mirrors but the NX had better implementation. Again, not a big deal.
-Stop/Start- I always turn it off. Wish it was always off.

Like/dislike:
-Touchpad- It's not terrible but it's not great either. The NX had a touchpad as well but it behaved like a laptop touchpad which I never really liked. IMO the Acura touchpad works better but I don't like how it behaves differently with CarPlay. I assume that's a rule from Apple but who knows. The fact you can use the steering wheel controls/HUD to control almost everything makes up for some of the Touchpad issues.
-Heated windshield- Nice to have but I noticed this turns on automatically when you start the car and is apparently based on outside temps. Seems unnecessary. As a bonus it's much easier to use since it has a button on the dash. In the NX it was buried in the menus.
-360 camera. Didn't have it on the NX but it's true- the resolution isn't great and why the camera icon instead of a full screen view? It gets the job done though.
-Glove box- a bit on the smallish side but I appreciate the two tier option.

Misc:

I haven't made any modifications and not sure I will. Possibly roof rails at some point and maybe the dark emblems. The dealer threw in the all-season mats for free but I replaced them with Smartliners as they cover the dead pedal and under the accelerator pedal better. I'll use the Acura mats in the non-winter months. The dealer also installed the splash guards.

The Michelin Crossclimate2s I had them swap in for the RSA's have been fantastic so far in the snow and overall.

Still not sure what to do with all the space under the center console. I have the wireless pad there and some pens but I think I need some sort of tray.

Arm rest storage--- Are there any trays/organizers available for this?

Overall I just really love the way it drives and looks. My wife thinks I'm crazy getting the Apex Blue coming from a dark grey NX but that blue with the dark rims is sharp IMO.
Attached Thumbnails 2022 A-Spec/Advance 1 week review-img_2801.jpeg  
The following 7 users liked this post by ross7777:
GW208 (01-23-2022), Legend2TL (02-01-2022), Lumify (01-23-2022), Pens Fan (01-23-2022), R3amir (01-23-2022), ShouldIBuyNew (01-23-2022), tecwerks (01-23-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:25 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Great review. I agree with just about the whole thing.

If you're looking for something to add, the "Welcome Lights" are pretty sweet. They work just like the little light in the side mirrors and light up the area under the door. My wife likes them a lot.

I agree about the DTS "feature". It makes everything sound worse. You need to get some real 5.1 audio files to play in that car

The cup holder size thing is weird. The 19 RDX I had had two the same size. Not sure why they changed that.

One thing that's really cool is that if you have a USB stick in for music, and you select the APP for USB, you can scroll through the tunes right there in the heads up display! It's pretty sweet to see the titles scroll by and you can select a song or title without taking your eyes off the road. I used the APPS a lot in my 19, but everytime some stupid alert came on (Seat Belt, A/S unavailable, etc), it would over write the Apps menu. Now that doesn't happen because the Apps menu does not appear on the dash, only in the HUD.
The following users liked this post:
larrygeller (01-24-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
-Wireless CarPlay and charging is very nice. Although sometimes I forget my phone is on the wireless charger after I get out of the car.
-Trunk space- The underfloor storage is a nice feature and it's easily accessible.
-Possibly roof rails at some point and maybe the dark emblems.
I always forget my phone is down there, I am glad I am not the only one . For the storage, there is actually a plug in the larger storage bin where you can use it as an icebox/cooler and let the water drain to the bottom, kind of cool if you tailgate and if you don't have the spare tire. Regards to the emblems, I was quoted around $500 USD to order and have them installed. I am hoping they show up on a website soon to get them cheaper, but I would also like the gloss black emblems!

-Audio- Really liking the ELS system so far. I've decided I don't like the DTS feature though
Originally Posted by oblio98

I agree about the DTS "feature". It makes everything sound worse. You need to get some real 5.1 audio files to play in that car.
I was 50/50 on this setting and I had a friend sit with me in the car and I turned it off and on and he liked the DTS setting on. Since then my ears have became accustomed to it and when I turned it off the other day, I had to turn it back on. I think I am the only one here who likes that feature.

Last edited by Lumify; 01-23-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:29 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Great review. I agree with just about the whole thing.

If you're looking for something to add, the "Welcome Lights" are pretty sweet. They work just like the little light in the side mirrors and light up the area under the door. My wife likes them a lot.

I agree about the DTS "feature". It makes everything sound worse. You need to get some real 5.1 audio files to play in that car

The cup holder size thing is weird. The 19 RDX I had had two the same size. Not sure why they changed that.

One thing that's really cool is that if you have a USB stick in for music, and you select the APP for USB, you can scroll through the tunes right there in the heads up display! It's pretty sweet to see the titles scroll by and you can select a song or title without taking your eyes off the road. I used the APPS a lot in my 19, but everytime some stupid alert came on (Seat Belt, A/S unavailable, etc), it would over write the Apps menu. Now that doesn't happen because the Apps menu does not appear on the dash, only in the HUD.
I realize you don't have them, but if you had the 'running boards' (I do) would you imagine that the welcome lights would be of any use, or would the running boards block them?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:04 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by EFR
I realize you don't have them, but if you had the 'running boards' (I do) would you imagine that the welcome lights would be of any use, or would the running boards block them?
That's a good question. I am not sure how far the running boards stick out. I would imagine the light would still be visible, just coming out from under the running boards. However, it might be that the two accessories are incompatible as they may take the same real estate under the car. Maybe one of the accessory guys here would know.
EFR (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 07:24 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Thanks...I just Googled it and see a factory Acura pic of the lights on an RDX with running boards so I guess it works...although I can't tell exactly where these welcome lights are on the car from the pic.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review! I love the blue with the dark rims, I couldn’t bring myself to get something that bold, but I went to the dealership with the Intention of getting the blue. I have about 3k miles on my 2021. Wish I would have waited for the 2022 for the snappier infotainment, but it is what it is. If you’re looking for a cheap upgrade, I added the projection logos, I think I paid $15 on Amazon and it took 2 seconds to install.

EFR (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
I have an Advanced (Platinum Elite in Canada) and I basically agree with everything you said, after 18 months of use.

The TrueTouch touchpad (or whatever it's called) would be an incredible system if CarPlay could agree...

ELS sound will not disappoint, but all of the extras you can turn on are all bad (DTS, and that fake digital sound fixer thing whose name eludes me). The sound system and the seats are, to me, the best things about this car.

The infotainment feels like it's still in beta.

Here is my theory: The "split" screen takes two inputs, I believe, and the camera icon on the second screen shows up because the actual camera has a direct link to the screen, bypassing the infotainment (which is why the camera still works WHEN the infotainment hard crashes... emphasis on the WHEN because it happens 3-4 times a year). The camera system's output is also a different resolution than the input for the main screen. So, you get a crappy looking image that only uses about 65% of the available space. My '18 Accord only has a backup camera (no surround) but it looks SO MUCH better than the RDX.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, thanks for your review, and glad you're enjoying your new ride! I actually traded my 2020 RDX Advance (Modern Steel/Graystone) for a 2022 A-Spec Advance (same Apex Blue/Orchid as you got) a few weeks ago and am super happy with my decision! I would have gotten A-Spec and Advance together if they'd offered it a couple of years ago but ultimately am very happy to get that plus a few other upgrades. The added sound insulation and rear side laminated glass are very noticeable upgrades to me. The transmission mapping with the revised dynamic mode mapping works better than in the 2020--smoother shifts and better pick-up but still plenty of engine braking when you lift up approaching a stop. The suspension actually feels softer over bumps but just as responsive in curves despite going from 19" to 20" wheels--presumably due to revised adaptive dampers. I love all the aesthetic upgrades inside and out--particularly more black interior surfaces including headliner and seat belts despite keeping a lighter color seat like my previous car. Yay power folding mirrors! And that Apex Blue paint looks amazing even though it's a little harder to keep clean than the dark gray. I also got front side windows tinted 20%, front windshield 50%, and moonroof 5%...so cozy inside! The backup/360º camera resolution is notably improved over 2020. Integrated remote start is welcome. I love the ambient interior lighting. Etc. It's basically all the things I liked about the previous RDX with a bunch of small improvements that make me like it even more...never feels too big or small and lots of fun when called upon.

Last edited by Josh32121; 01-24-2022 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot something
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh32121:
JB in AZ (01-25-2022), tecwerks (02-09-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
That's a good question. I am not sure how far the running boards stick out. I would imagine the light would still be visible, just coming out from under the running boards. However, it might be that the two accessories are incompatible as they may take the same real estate under the car. Maybe one of the accessory guys here would know.
I have the running boards and splash guards. They make the car look "complete", help with your footing when getting out, and, as a bonus, allow you to reach the top of the car to get snow off. Now you got me thinking about the lights.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:20 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by larrygeller
I have the running boards and splash guards. They make the car look "complete", help with your footing when getting out, and, as a bonus, allow you to reach the top of the car to get snow off. Now you got me thinking about the lights.
and now you have me thinking of the running boards Larry! LOL

I just read through the installation instructions and you need a drill and a saw! And a lift. YIKES
Plus they're around $800! Might be a good summer project
larrygeller (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:47 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by larrygeller
Lets see a pic of those running boards.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:56 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

and now you have me thinking of the running boards Larry! LOL

I just read through the installation instructions and you need a drill and a saw! And a lift. YIKES
Plus they're around $800! Might be a good summer project
Yes. On our Land Rover they just bolted into place. On our RDX...not something I would even attempt to try....which is why I had the dealer do it! But honestly, on RDX accessory installations, there is virtually nothing I would try myself....except floor mats!
Old 01-27-2022, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Lets see a pic of those running boards.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish my 2020 RDX advance had the carplay directions in the HUD. I wonder if we will have a way to "upgrade" to that by changing the system or a software update...